What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights Pinball Show at Event City Manchester. 8th,9th October Pin Pledg

Wow - don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Match sequences at a show :rofl:

On DMD games some of them are actually pretty cool, they are part of the software and seems only right people should see/enjoy them. And lets face it .... they only last a few seconds ;)

yeah but when your are pants like me and you often are at the end of a game LOL - well thats my story and I'm sticking to it and yes on some games the match is quite cool.

but anyway nothing that will kill me or anyone else :)

I was excited to see it too as I'm chasing down a project M&MPM at the moment so wanted to get a taster. Shame, it looked like a pretty good player, but I know how temperamental those old Bally games can be!

Myself and @Poibug spent some time here and there in between myself talking to people over on my stand and Chris fixing other games trying to get pacman back in action. We were trying to reduce the 'death count' Was missing the 7th flash on boot up but the 43v was ok, so needed more time in a quieter room to bench test the CPU and sort it. We tried :)

Back home last night by 10pm ish. Unloaded and had a rest today along with putting stuff away slowly. Indy 3/4 of the way back upstairs.

Big thanks to all the pinheads who stopped by and played Indy giving me their views and adding more game play data. In particular @replicas , @ronsplooter ,@Wizards_Hat , @Davey D , @Sven Normansson, Terry & friend, @Big Phil &friends :)

Last edited:
I didn't make it to Expo this year:(, but my feedback for the previous Pinball Party events and the last couple of Expos was probably similar to some of the issues others on here have mentioned - multi player games, crowds of people not vacating games, chronic beer farts in the confined space of the pinball party, etc. On reflection though, I think there is very little that can be done about any of these issues by the organisers - signs and notices and so on won't be read, kids do what kids do, etc. I think you just have to take it for what it is and try and deal with those problems yourself.
Or put a clown mask on and take them out with a machete and do the world a favour.

Regarding the biggest "moan" - multiplayer games...I think I informed as many people over the weekend that they were actually playing a multiplayer game as I informed pairs/sets of players that were playing single player games that they could play multiplayer games. In pretty much every instance they were grateful for being shown what was going on (a few pairs/groups of people actually whooped with joy at being shown they could play against each other)

Most of the multiplayer "felons" were actually embarrassed by their ignorance...I watch a lot of them pressing the start button as soon as the bonus sequence started at the end of ball 1...they don't look to see what's happening & know that they pressed that button to get a ball in the first place.
Having signs up would make no difference whatsoever (if they don't see a bonus sequence directly in front of them whilst the game's being played...)
I also had no truck in telling people to remove drinks/food from the machines (never saw anyone abusing machines).

Perhaps it helped my "authority" as I was clearly a member of the NLP crew (got the t-shirt :D)...but I've done it at other shows in the past & never had any problem...I know we're all geeks & nerds, but you can still talk to people :eek::oops::thumbs: ...just tell them!
I've also been at shows waiting for a go on a game I want to play & immediately informed the "hogger" when they start a fresh game that I'm waiting & that I'd be more than happy to play a 2-player with them (they nearly always bugger off straight away though & let you play on your own...but those that have a game with you turn out to be nice people...just ignorant of the idea that someone might be waiting to play that particular game).

If you don't feel you can talk to random people at the next NLP show & they're a problem, just let me know & I'll go & have a chat with them :cool:

2016-10-09 17.34.25.jpg

Regards,
Dan.

Myself and @poibug spent some time here and there in between myself talking to people over on my stand and Chris fixing other games trying to get pacman back in action. We were trying to reduce the 'death count' Was missing the 7th flash on boot up but the 43v was ok, so needed more time in a quieter room to bench test the CPU and sort it. We tried :)
Well done for trying! Poibug said it was stuck on 5th flash at one point (U11 6821) but if no 7th flash then solenoid power test although I wonder if M&MPM is like GOLD BALL in that it has a -133 and not a -35 MPU? These have 1 different component in that resistor R113 is replaced with a diode CR52. The seventh flash shows that PIA 6831 U10 is working and that the zero crossing detector is working which is powered by the 43V solenoid power. On the -133 board the ZCD is powered by the 10VAC switched illumination hence the diode so it could have been the fuse on that circuit and not the 43VDC line.

Regarding the biggest "moan" - multiplayer games...I think I informed as many people over the weekend that they were actually playing a multiplayer game as I informed pairs/sets of players that were playing single player games that they could play multiplayer games. In pretty much every instance they were grateful for being shown what was going on (a few pairs/groups of people actually whooped with joy at being shown they could play against each other)

Most of the multiplayer "felons" were actually embarrassed by their ignorance...I watch a lot of them pressing the start button as soon as the bonus sequence started at the end of ball 1...they don't look to see what's happening & know that they pressed that button to get a ball in the first place.
Having signs up would make no difference whatsoever (if they don't see a bonus sequence directly in front of them whilst the game's being played...)
I also had no truck in telling people to remove drinks/food from the machines (never saw anyone abusing machines).

Perhaps it helped my "authority" as I was clearly a member of the NLP crew (got the t-shirt :D)...but I've done it at other shows in the past & never had any problem...I know we're all geeks & nerds, but you can still talk to people :eek::oops::thumbs: ...just tell them!
I've also been at shows waiting for a go on a game I want to play & immediately informed the "hogger" when they start a fresh game that I'm waiting & that I'd be more than happy to play a 2-player with them (they nearly always bugger off straight away though & let you play on your own...but those that have a game with you turn out to be nice people...just ignorant of the idea that someone might be waiting to play that particular game).

If you don't feel you can talk to random people at the next NLP show & they're a problem, just let me know & I'll go & have a chat with them :cool:

View attachment 36773

Regards,
Dan.
We did try signs about pinball etiquette and care at a previous NLP but they made no difference as no-one read them

Congratulations to our competition winners:
Andy Foster - Adults High Score overall trophy, and day 1 winner
Wayne Johns - Adults High Score day 2 winner
Leo Marshall - Kids High Score trophy
John Parkins - EM Challenge

And thank you to everyone who took part

Who did the TAF belong to ? not the one with the chair the other one, first time I have played one with the mods fitted, liked it very much and still would like to get one if ever that comes up for sale :)

Adie Hufton.
bollox, wish i'd known that. i was chatting to him at one point (we both collected glass from Aaron at the same time) and if i'd known, i coulda offloaded the stuff i brought up to Manchester for him: the following was brought along but not collected:
Adrian Hufton - 2 ratchet straps
Courtney - Gottlieb flippers
Marvello Mark - 2 ratchets, one wrap
Arv - 8 magazines

oh well

bollox, wish i'd known that. i was chatting to him at one point (we both collected glass from Aaron at the same time) and if i'd known, i coulda offloaded the stuff i brought up to Manchester for him: the following was brought along but not collected:
Arv - 8 magazines

oh well

You wally Dan, if you had mentioned that when snacking on a tombola table, I could have sorted Adie and Arv out for you :D

Who did the TAF belong to ? not the one with the chair the other one, first time I have played one with the mods fitted, liked it very much and still would like to get one if ever that comes up for sale :)

I was fortunate enough to borrow that from Adie last xmas - it's a really nice machine, the mods, colour display and clear glass really show how good a machine can be set up.

Arv - 8 magazines

oh well
3 times I led Marvello round looking for you after he was originally sent in my direction when he asked where "Dan" was...perhaps you were in the cosplay section as the Scarlet Pimpernel :)

Regards,
Dan (not the cool one).

Congratulations to our competition winners:
Andy Foster - Adults High Score overall trophy, and day 1 winner
Wayne Johns - Adults High Score day 2 winner
Leo Marshall - Kids High Score trophy
John Parkins - EM Challenge

And thank you to everyone who took part
shouldn`t john be banned as he has too many EM machines at home;)

An Amnesty for Pinball ROMS.
Not sure where to post this but wanting to have a Pinball Eeprom/Rom drop off anti-static box at NLP. Paul has helped out most of us with latest software chips that we can donate our leftovers - then give them to Paul!
Sound okay? I will have the said box on the Pinballdaze stall.
Dave.
Thanks to the contributors. Contacting Paul and posting.

Who bought the Star Trek? I was sorely tempted. You saved me a few £k !
I bought it. My wife and I played it a couple of times and we both fell in love with it. Just waiting for delivery now. Pleeeeeeese let it come tomorrow, pleeeeeeese!!

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom