What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New UK pinball event - Daventry August 25th & 26th 2018

No mob has jumped on you. You've read my response in totally the wrong way. I'm not shouting at you. I'm not having a go at you. I'm responding to your feedback.

In the machine donation thread, at the end of the listed machines it says "Plus 20 Competition machines supplied by Special when lit which are NOT listed above."

If there was a specific machine you wanted to play, all you had to do was come and talk to me and I would have helped out if I could. Just like I did 30 minutes ago with another customer who wanted to play a certain game.

Thanks for coming along and supporting the event.

I did ask a member of staff to play T2 (albeit not you - not that I know what you look like) but was told polietly that all machines with labels were for Tournament use.

Thanks anyway Phil I’ll know for next time. I did have a great day.

While two people isn't a mob, with respect I've just done a count while here, and I count 86 games excluding the tournament-numbered machines + MM on paid charity credits in the main lobby for 87. Having been here all three days I know 13/14 games haven't vanished. And its pinball after all, so a number of those are also on the hospital line.

Absolutely not trying to make anything out of that, I think this has been a bloody brilliant event, but I wanted to get the number straight for everyone's sake.

That number misses the point though. You don't truly need more than this because the quality of the machines brought is awesome, with stone-cold classic games and some great odd ball games you won't see outside of these shows. I'd rather have 50 blinders than 100+ OK games

The quality of the machines and the standard of maintainence is the best I’ve ever seen at the show.
I think in years gone by there were the usual “fillers” which only came out for shows and were battered old things.
Certainly didn’t seem the case here.

Awesome show, great to catch up with peeps and meet new.

I really enjoyed @myPinballs Indiana Jones and due to no one queuing to play it, I also spent some time on NBAFB which i absolutely loved.

Of the new batch my fave was POTC. I loved it. Also enjoyed playing Iron Maiden. All this has defo made me think seriously about a modern stern/JJP for the future.

The highlight for me was watching people finish a one player game, look over their shoulder to see a massive queue then nonchalantly start another game.
It was then I would swoop in and smack the start button 3 more times and invite the rest of the line in for a four player game :clap::clap:

Thank you sooooo much to @Big Phil for going through the mill to put the show on. The NLP guys working tirelessly to fix machines and all those who donated machines and helped.

The quality of the machines and the standard of maintainence is the best I’ve ever seen at the show.
I think in years gone by there were the usual “fillers” which only came out for shows and were battered old things.
Certainly didn’t seem the case here.

Awesome show, great to catch up with peeps and meet new.

I really enjoyed @myPinballs Indiana Jones and due to no one queuing to play it, I also spent some time on NBAFB which i absolutely loved.

Of the new batch my fave was POTC. I loved it. Also enjoyed playing Iron Maiden. All this has defo made me think seriously about a modern stern/JJP for the future.

The highlight for me was watching people finish a one player game, look over their shoulder to see a massive queue then nonchalantly start another game.
It was then I would swoop in and smack the start button 3 more times and invite the rest of the line in for a four player game :clap::clap:

Thank you sooooo much to @Big Phil for going through the mill to put the show on. The NLP guys working tirelessly to fix machines and all those who donated machines and helped.
Agreed, a great show and I was very impressed with the amount of staff and maintenance guys.

Thanks @Big Phil for a great event. I took my family along and all from age 9 to 68 said they’d had a great day. Thanks too to everyone who donated a machine. I had a lot of fun. Just the right people to machine ratio...never had to wait long for most machines. I hope it worked out financially for you.

Thank you to @Big Phil, the team keeping everything going and everyone that allowed their machines to be for everyone to enjoy.
Cracking event, I was only there on the satuday but saw a few people I hadn't seen for a couple of years and played loads and loads of games.
Fantasic selction of machines and I had a go on about everything I had on my list
Sorry for having a go on TWD, didn't realise it was a comp game until I looked up and saw the number on the backbox, but TWD being TWD and me being me I wasn't playing it for more than 5 mins anyway and no one noticed :rofl:
Very cool to play @myPinballs Indy and have a chat about the Spectrum project too

Same time next year?

I forgot how good The Shadow was and loved the led and colour DMD one, really cool.
Kill Bill was just weird
Rocky REALLY should have been put on free play and the whole point is to hit the numbered drop targets in sequence, where were the numbers?
Interesting MAFIA
TWD le soooo much better than pro.
Never thought I could comment on so much stuff
Next Year please.

loved the event i don't play a lot of pinball machines and it was great to have a go on lots of different ones
i found i enjoyed playing the dmd machines more than the newer ones a big thank you to everyone involved in putting this great event on

Massive thanks to @Big Phil for this event, hope when all counted up you at least broke even, must have been a massive undertaking.

Me and my wife had an absolutely fantastic time over all 3 days. Loved the VIP sessions, especially Saturday night as it was so quiet.

The amount of quality titles was superb, loads better than previous ‘Pinball Partys’ when it seemed there were only a handful of really premium games always with huge queues.

Staff levels were superb and it was great to have them all easily identifiable with the blue shirts.

Even pinball etiquette was massively better than previous years, hardly had anyone at all hogging machines or playing solo 4 player games (and most that were didn’t realise what they were doing)

Not sure if this is possible but at future events could you utilise more of the other meeting rooms and split them up a bit, quite liked the 5 machines in their own in that back corridor, slightly quieter so you could hear your machine easier.

Only problems we had over the weekend were directly with the hotel, it didn’t used to be a Mercure did it? Standards have definitely fallen, shame.

Once again, thanks, I’ve never played so much pinball and I really want a Dialed In now ?

After all the drama and cynicism going on elsewhere in the internet, it was such a breath of fresh air to have a positive environment to remind us what the hobby is actually about, and return some proper hands-on enthusiasm for new products again. Thanks Phil for everything.

Just got hope after dropping and setting up the machines again...

Big thanks to @Big Phil taking the risk for the event
NLP team for looking after all the machines @replicas @Poibug @Paul and everyone else
Thanks to Martin and Peter for the Open and Classic
@Wayne J for running the UK finals
@strobey and @Neil McRae for streaming the gameplay and talks adds that little something to the event
@Neil McRae again for the UK Ball Stall

Probably missed a load of people but it takes a lot of people to make these events happen so big thanks to everyone... Especially everyone who brought a machine along

All in all for the inaugural UK Pinfest is was good... There was negatives and positives and I hope everyone involved can come together and work out the kinks for next year

Huge thanks to everyone who came to the event - I really enjoyed it - @Big Phil well done for all the effort you put in.

Thanks to @strobey for helping with the streaming!

Huge thanks to everyone who worked to make it a success!

A special thanks to @chris b and @myPinballs and @philpalmer and a bunch of others who helped sort out my dialed in.

Also thanks to the folks who helped me with getting games to the event the legends that are @Matt Vince and @ianw (who went out of his way by a few hundred miles!) @kevlar Tony, @Nickoss II Stan and the flipout gang, and all the NLP gang for helping me in the day with pin moving and other stuff!

Thanks to everyone who played stall ball it was excellent fun - and thanks to @windoesnot for his help!

It was great getting the UK Pinball family together!

Rock on next year!

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot how good The Shadow was and loved the led and colour DMD one, really cool.
Kill Bill was just weird
Rocky REALLY should have been put on free play and the whole point is to hit the numbered drop targets in sequence, where were the numbers?
Interesting MAFIA
TWD le soooo much better than pro.
Never thought I could comment on so much stuff
Next Year please.

No free play option on a lot of gotts.Only real way is to do as I have on some and add a switch on end of start button with coin switch cables attached.
I personally added about 75 credits,at various times when I remembered/Had time

On that note if any pinhead ever sees a game without credits please ask a member of staff and it will remind us to add them for you all

Well got back and unloaded my new toy about 1015.
Firstly huge thanks to all machine loaners, you rock?They let others play their pride and joy,is a great gift.
Been to all Daventry shows,and personally, I think the layout as a whole was a lot better.Scope for improvement, but think we're somewhere on the right track.
Thanks to anyone in the bar area for allowing me to talk at you whilst somewhat merry till about 3am?Cheers to the great fellow staff members.Everyone did therir allotted roles fantastically.
Thumbs up especially to @Big Phil and his missus for helping sort it all.

To those not there near the end @Biff aka John Bateson for his charity event was presented with £193 iirc in takings from mm in the bar and NLP donation of £250.This then on the fly went higher and higher as @chris b Pinball donated £100, then others donated more,Inc some of their tournament winnings and @steve brum donated £120 iirc in the end over£700.That's shows how good the ukpinball community is.
Hope to see some of you at NLP play Blackpool in October

Last edited:
Just retired.

Wow. Just wow. Blown away by the event. All your support is tremendous and the event couldn’t happen without you. I like to think I just pulled the strings of this awesome community together. I’ll write a proper post in the coming days.

As well as you guys, there are also my family and friends who are always at my side. Most aren’t on this forum and they’re not avid pinheads but they’re always there for me and you.

See you next year ;-)

Oh, did I forget to pay anyone? Pretty sure I settled up with everyone before the event finished.

Epic event. Really chuffed to see so many positive comments. Those of us who have visited NERG over the last few years will already be familiar with just what a fantastically generous guy @Big Phil is with his time, energy and much more to this community. So good to now also extend that to a central location for more to enjoy

Huge thanks to the amazing community that comes together to support events like this. There are some that organise huge van loads to be collected, others that bring individual pins, and others like Dan that make multiple trips. Superb effort. All massively appreciated.

I thought the layout over previous Daventry shows worked really well. Side room for talks was a great idea... So many positives it's going to be hard to mention them all really

Great to see Tim and Neil there. Two more people that are extraordinarily generous with this community, and deserve huge respect for their contributions.

Peter, Wayne, 'the Raisons' and others that helped organise and run the comps. Phenomenal effort.

And of course thanks to the fellow NLP gang and other staff members for making such an awesome show run so smoothly. So many people there that hardly anyone will know, but all absolutely essential to making it appear effortless.

Can't wait for next year :)

Last edited:
I visited on the Saturday, it was a great event! Thanks to everyone who clearly put a lot of hard work into making everything run smoothly. It was great to be able to try some more unusual tables (Spectrum, Rocky, NBA Fastbreak), classics I'd not been able to track down before (Arabian Nights, Junk Yard), and a lot of other big hitters and surprises (Jurassic Park's dinosaur toy eating the ball was the highlight for me!).

It would be great if there's a way to make tournament machines available for general play - could you build tournaments around machines that are there in multiple numbers for example? or adopt some kind of timing system? Anyway that's a minor point, as it's something that can be worked out for future events. I didn't realise there were some machines in a corridor either, what was in there? :)

Thanks again, a great event, I would definitely go again next year!

Back
Top Bottom