What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Heighway Owner

DI was head and shoulders better than anything else. It has the shots, the ramps, the gadgets and looks the biz.

Although I’m not at a point where I’d sell any of my current machines for it.. so will just have to wait and save I guess..

yep no show at the play expo Manchester
And a no show at Chicago expo either which is pretty poor
but on a more positive note they have a big stand booked for eag in London if they can be bothered to turn up you never know you may see a new title

With regards to Alien, Highway need to concentrate on getting machines out to the folk that have placed orders. No more publicity is needed. If they can do this more orders will come..

They need to get it on location in the big venues, Tilt here, sunshine, Seattle, Logan etc

If you are positive you go for "better to say nothing and let people think you are an idiot than to prove them right". Maybe the Heighway guys are getting the house in order. Keeping their ears down. Quietly doing the right thing. No point getting asked tricky questions while they sort the mess out.

If you are negative, the game is up. Busted flush. Big Lebowski.

I think the former. But I still would not give these guys a penny right now.

So no Alien at NLP Play Expo ....I mean it's not like it's the biggest pinball show / gaming show in the country :rolleyes:

All the talk was about Star Wars, Dialed in, JJ Pirates ..... I think Alien was barely mentioned in all the chats I had with folk.

What a shame that when we finally have a UK Pinball manufacturer they seem happy to ignore the market on it's own doorstep. Why did they not send one of the newer fully working, new coded games along ?!? :cuckoo: A chance for huge exposure, potential buyers .Instead people are throwing their money at Phil for games that were there.....particularly Dialed In

They did exactly the same last year. Didn't they launch it in Chicago the same weekend as Play Expo? **** em.

Defo the best JJ pinball to date - but we have not played Pirates yet!

I am not shocked that no Heighway pinballs were at the show. I think a few people would of wanted to take them home if they were one of the many that have paid upfront or put on large deposits!

It would be hard I think for anyone from the company to answer questions like "Where is my money" or "where is my game"....

We are about to head into November and people are still waiting.

Have no doubts that Aliens is a great game - I played a prototype over a year ago which was one of two at the time. Was good then. However I am still asking myself what if something goes wrong? No company will make third party boards for a company that has only sold a small amount of games.

Jersey Jack and Stern are in for the long term - and they have both shifted enough games that a third party board manufacturer would remake if the worse situation happened.

When I was with HP the plan was to not hold much stock of spares for any game, the original idea was to make the games as bullet proof as possible - but with all the new technology that is inside - it is hard to do. Especially as they have weaknesses in designs - like micro/mini USB linking node boards.

Didn't they use poundland USB hubs?

Full Throttle had a crap 4 way USB hub on it - like the ones I have seen at poundland. I dare say they were ordered at China along with the audio amplifiers they used and the single board computers. Not seen the PC in an Alien and I do not intend to.

I’ll never forget full throttle being the first game to die at pinburgh - after less than one round!

Look at it this way - Dutch Pinball where at expo and they went down like a lead balloon when they announced that people waiting would wait longer whilst new orders were filled to pay for the games they’ve already paid for! In my view DP shouldn’t have been swanning around Chicago and should have been working round the clock to get people who paid up a very long time ago their game. Return cost to Expo and having a stand can’t have been much Less than 3-5K which is money better spent on building machines.

Heighway need to clean their record then re-engage otherwise folks will just shoot at them.

They did exactly the same last year. Didn't they launch it in Chicago the same weekend as Play Expo? **** em.

Which in my view would have been the right thing to do if they had a finished machine - they turned up with machines that had a lot of problems and must have cost a fortune to get them out there manufacturers need distributors and Expo is the place to hit many EU, US and Asia distributors. The th EAG farce happened.

Neil

I think Stern have set quite a precedent for releasing games unfinished and with problems. Heighway had a lot of goodwill behind them this time last year despite all. They only needed to send one machine to Play Expo a hundred miles up the road from their factory and that would have been worth its weight in PR.
Its looking a bit late now when the only UK distributer is supposedly HLD with hugely inflated JJP level prices. Dead in the water.

They didn’t have a machine to send that’s the problem - Stern are very good at releasing a machine that’s physically complete if not the software. Alien wasn’t in that position until March _this_ year. No excuse for them not to send a machine this year mind!

Cheers,
Neil

I think the price rise has screwed them I would have been willing to get in on an LE at the old prices and even wait for it but the new price is ridiculous and will finish them off I reckon

I've been following the Heighway story with interest.

I was gob smacked to read that a British company was entering the pinball market to be honest. Brave, stupid, or both, but their passion for doing something different is admirable.

Understand a lot of people are upset with them but surely nobody stands to lose more than the current owners, if they don't get people those machines; they must have sunk millions into that business, and removing the founder would have been likely to cost them more and/or increase their financial risk further.

A lot of their approach seemed to make a great deal of sense, with some clever ideas. Reminds me of TVR back in the day.

That alien head ball lock has got to be a future classic. And some of the video, second screens in the play field, etc looked amazing.

I really hope they get those machines to people they owe. It's a shame so many people have pulled their deposits as the more that do, the shakier it all looks for those that are last.

I can understand why they maybe felt like they needed to keep their heads down and build machines. There could have been a PR disaster if they had shown up too id imagine, with people bashing them for doing anything other than build machines they owe people.

I love that a company in Merthyr Tydfil is making games. I just hope they're still around when I can one day afford to buy a new one, and have built up some trust and credibility in the meantime. They've got a lot of work to do by the sounds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but this place is getting a little like Pinside.
Lets give a British company a chance instead of trying to kill it off completely.
Most people haven't even seen or played a Alien so until you have reserve your judgement as its a pretty sweet game.
Lets see what the investers in HP have to say before writing them off.

I hate to say it but this place is getting a little like Pinside.
Lets give a British company a chance instead of trying to kill it off completely.
Most people haven't even seen or played

I Get it Daz, however part of the key is to get the early promos out there. Look at DI over the weekend. I bet Phil sold a load. Why? Because people played and loved it.

I would love to have played it. Multiple no-shows really haven’t helped. You have to sell these things. Disappearing, not engaging the prospective buyers etc don’t.

I still really hope that there is chance for a reboot, as it looks like a cracking machine. However with costs rising, competitors upping the game etc, who knows!!

Can sort of see why here wasn't an Alien there though; there would be uproar if they were shipping machines on the basis of prospective sales when there are still a tonne of pre-orders that haven't been satisfied.

I'd have loved to play Alien but personally I think they're better to keep their heads down until the pre-orders have been satisfied.

Promotion-wise, it was a HUGELY missed opportunity.

To not turn up at the biggest pinball event in the U.K. is a massive own goal.

They must have heard of Northern Lights and Play Expo?

The directors need to take a long hard look at the marketing department.

Imagine having one in the competition and have it streaming live.

Massive missed opportunity.

Sadly the damage done to Heighway Pinball is self inflicted even after the new owners came on board. Giving and then missing deadlines raises very reasonable doubts for buyers. Large price hikes isn't going to win them new customers. And for me worse of all is the people on Pinside who are posting that they still haven't been issued their refunds. Being selective about who they've paid back sucks and destroys any trust I'd have in them. Also what's happening to the people who got games without the heads? Surely this is an easy one to correct?

When I played Alien back in Jan(?) I was genuinely impressed with it and seriously considered getting one when they had ironed out their issues. Nine months later I still like the overall idea of the game but realistically there is no way I'd buy one. Maybe if they had them in stock but absolutely no chance of giving them anything without being able to take something away immediately.

I'd love to see a UK pinball company succeed but that doesn't mean we should be blind to their shortcomings.

Played it briefly at 8 Bit Flip. Didn't like it to be honest. Looks great. Drains like a mother****er. Makes TWD and Ghostbusters look like long ball games. Probably would have liked it a lot more on Freeplay. But as a site machine it's brutal. As a collectors machine there are just too many unknowns...and now it's stupidly expensive too. Not a recipe for success.

Played it briefly at 8 Bit Flip. Didn't like it to be honest. Looks great. Drains like a mother****er. Makes TWD and Ghostbusters look like long ball games. Probably would have liked it a lot more on Freeplay. But as a site machine it's brutal. As a collectors machine there are just too many unknowns...and now it's stupidly expensive too. Not a recipe for success.

I did think the same about draining watching a Heighway gameplay video - looked intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promotion-wise, it was a HUGELY missed opportunity.

To not turn up at the biggest pinball event in the U.K. is a massive own goal.

They must have heard of Northern Lights and Play Expo?

The directors need to take a long hard look at the marketing department.

Imagine having one in the competition and have it streaming live.

Massive missed opportunity.

Have to disagree somewhat. Imagine having it stream live and break (possibly really quickly). It would do nothing for sales.

I stick by my comment. Wind up the company, sell the rights to yourself and build under another name (possibly in europe).

Back
Top Bottom