What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Heighway Owner

I got my deposit back at the end of last year, man what a ball ache to get it...

Even with all that has gone on I would consider an Alien if things picked up and say game #2 was announced using the swapable system. But they have priced themselves out given the uncertainty of their company, maybe they had to do this to be able to pay off Andy and pay refunds, etc. If anything you would think they would introduce a way to bring in more orders (like a discount), not less, but what do I know...

Sorry, but this company has been in a shocking state for years now. I don't understand why anyone would give their money to them, especially now.

Interesting clip about the prices.... By the time delivery and import costs are added onto these games outside the UK they will be loads more than Sterns.

If in the UK they are priced higher as sterns then this surely is not great business sense - over in the UK games have import duty added to them which of course gets added onto the price. In the country of origin then this is stupid.

Of course if HP sell only via distributors then they will be getting all the 'where is our game?' phone calls and not the main office. Also any warranty will be on the dealers head if the company ceases trading. Lets face it - looking at the boards they use - very few people in the UK will be able to repair them! How long will the cheap chinese boards last?

So far - nobody has owned a Heighway pinball for more than 3 years. I can walk downstairs and look at my Stern Family guy which is 10 years old, and I know I can call up Phil Palmer and order any part for that game should anything go wrong. If its a board problem I am 90% sure I can fix it myself. I would wait 5 years personally to see if games are long term reliable.

Stern have years of manufacturing experience. Jersey jack seem to have a more sensible approach to building machines. Oh, and both companies seem to be backed will financially. Has anyone asked for refunds from either of them two like Heighway or Wayne in Australia.

If the big wigs are Heighway have any sense then what they will do is:
Have an R&D facility in the UK.
Get someone like Stern to design the boards and make the games (like MMr) or say another company like Chicago gaming is it?
Or just design games for Stern - like 'Whoa Nellie'

Over the years HP have (and currently have) some extremely skilled people. A lot have left down to money issues or unrealistic time schedules.

Wonder how much from each game goes on licensing? 'Alien' is a more expensive game to make - and requires a bigger computer. Having seen the computer in Alien I do not see they have left much headroom in power for future games. The plan was in the early games was to use standard PC parts that could be changed and even upgraded a lot cheaper. Anyhow - not the only suggestion of mine that was ignored, as well as dont waste 6 months trying to get a loop accelerator to work!

Again - I repeat my previous advice:

IF YOU HAVE A DEPOSIT ON A GAME - GET A REFUND !!!
IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A NEW GAME - GET A STERN OR JERSEY JACK.
IF IN THREE YEARS HP IS STILL IN BUSINESS AND ARE GIVING GOOD SERVICE THEN BUY A GAME THEN.
DO NOT HAND OVER LARGE SUMS OF MONEY TO PEOPLE THAT ARE UNPROVEN IN THE BUSINESS.

At the end of the day guys - it is your money.

Holy cow! what did I miss?

First Predator, now Aliens... crying shame really. This was my dream pinball table.

Oh well. Perhaps next year this will all be sorted.

I wonder if you will get a manual with the games now....

Weird how you dont get any service manuals with Heighway - online or in print.

Can understand these days companies not printing them - but if you look Jersey Jack supply online an amazing manual, as do Stern. Can you see the odd company out?

The manual and schematics should be included in the game @cooldan - Helmut is a great bloke, I really hope he has a future in this industry. Bought my RFM from him - exactly as described.

Is he an electronics engineer? I know he works on the 'toys' on Alien.

More than likely Kenny - I dare say the factory had plenty of half built games missing parts that were on order or 'awaiting payment' for.

Alien is a good game - I played the prototype. Has some real good features but my concern is how long these games will last and how long they will be supported for if things go bad....

My advice remains the same.

Get deposit back.

Buy a stern or Jersey jack.

Two companies with proven track record and warranty. Plus they actually have manuals online.

so sad the company had so much promise at this point I really dont see much of a future for it. I see they have even started to strip the LE just like stern

My advice remains the same.

Get deposit back.

Buy a stern or Jersey jack.

Two companies with proven track record and warranty. Plus they actually have manuals online.

I'm hearing this advice everywhere.
Get deposit back.
But they don't refund deposits.

I'm hearing this advice everywhere.
Get deposit back.
But they don't refund deposits.

@Toads - they do. Just need to be a pain. It may be an idea to call them continually, and email them. OR contact your credit card company. If you have put a deposit down via a third party (like a distributor) - you claim for a refund is with them and not Heighway Pinball as you handed the money over to another company. PLEASE do not tell me you paypal the deposit or direct bank transfer....

Even if they supply you a game - WHEN it breaks down and they have gone under - where do you get the replacement boards for. They have only sold a few games and nobody as yet will remanufacture replacement PCBs as there is not enough money in it.

From an engineer who looked after a continually failing Full Throttle, I would really advise you to buy another brand.

So no Alien at NLP Play Expo ....I mean it's not like it's the biggest pinball show / gaming show in the country :rolleyes:

All the talk was about Star Wars, Dialed in, JJ Pirates ..... I think Alien was barely mentioned in all the chats I had with folk.

What a shame that when we finally have a UK Pinball manufacturer they seem happy to ignore the market on it's own doorstep. Why did they not send one of the newer fully working, new coded games along ?!? :cuckoo: A chance for huge exposure, potential buyers .Instead people are throwing their money at Phil for games that were there.....particularly Dialed In

Last edited:
It's a fair point Sarge.

My mate was really impressed by Dialled In and it's been a long time since i've seen him tempted by a NIB.

Back
Top Bottom