What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaneda's pinball podcast

Stern will be in no rush to punt out another pin (star wars) while the production line is producing and selling Aerosmiths (or whatever)

It will also give them time to produce the code for Star wars and get it closer to completion before launch.

As long as the Stern line is moving, Stern is making money. Whether it's WWE on the line or Star Wars, one game stealing hype from another doesn't hurt them too bad. They still have A TON of GB orders to fill, not sure how well Batman has sold, Aerosmith isn't a huge hit (LE's sitting at distributors)...My gut tells me Aerosmith will actually be the better pin than SW. Best hand-drawn art package vs drag and drop approved assets. No brainer which is gonna look better and we know Aerosmith shoots really nice and has one of Stern's coolest toys ever. That bar for Star Wars to reach is gonna be really high. I expect it to feel like Batman with both Art and LCD animations being very similar in execution.
Main problem with Aerosmith LE/Premium is that whilst it is a better game, the cash difference is huge for a mini p/f. It is good that the LE has a proper backglass.
It might shock you to know we would pay $12000 USD for an Aero LE over here:eek:
A pro costs us around $7500.
And people moan on pinside at paying $5200 for Aero pro:confused:

I expect it to feel like Batman with both Art and LCD animations being very similar in execution.

I'd be very surprised if they're quite as monumentally lazy with Star Wars LCD stuff as they have been with Batman.

Almost all pinball is a recycled idea...not much creativity anywhere really.

I think people are going to realize how much Disney restricted Stern's creativity with Star Wars. I fully expect the same type of Batman (dvd footage) on the LCD. I also expect the art to feel similarly flat as well.

Code for SW should be done at launch. Remember, SW was originally suppose to come out months ago but the issues with GB playfields delayed EVERYTHING. Batman was a rushed anomaly. The whole game was rushed in the end. But Aerosmith launched pretty much finished. I expect the same with SW.

I hope STRWRS is awesome, 1 because it is such a Huge licence, that needs doing right and 2..... I have an LE on order :clap:

Reactions: JT.
Well £4K deposit with PH says it's a strong chance ;)

Pre-ordering with PH & STERN so likelihood is I will get the game :confused:

Heard the LE's are going to go quickly.

500 GBLE sold out within a few hrs...

Starwars is a huge theme.. I think not just pinheads will buy this.. Starwars collectors will be on this as well. There are ALOT of Starwars collectors.

If Stern had gone to Comicon with a Starwars pin, how many do you think they would have sold? I reckon quite a few.

I don't know how many LE's will be made, even if there is 1000-1500, with the scope of the licence I think they will go quickly.

I totally agree with your view, although I don't agree with buying games purely on their license & not their merits.

Absolutely...
Can you go wrong with Steve R on design and Dwight on code?
ST, AC/DC are great pins, good flow
I really like GB's code/rules. If given the time Dwight would make it even better.

Soooo many modes you could have on STRWRS.

Stern is releasing some great new games, only thing I'm worried about is build quailty

Hopefully stern has learnt cost cutting lessons from the playfields and now cabinets... the playfields certainly were costly to STERN and now this cabinet disaster!

Apparently distributors in the USA have huge lists of people wanting SW LE so depending how many Stern make, they won't last long.

Next NIB will be Dialled In, looks good and getting some great reviews.. designed by Pat and built like a tank.

Still waiting on TBL :(:mad:

If they don't have at least 4 tiers of price discrimination, and 3rd (LE?) with at least 1200 units, I'll be utterly shocked.

If they sell out quickly, they'll most likely announce a different LE in short order.

It's SW, and probably their last shot to cash in before the market moves away from them.

I highly doubt Stern makes 1,000 LE's of anything ever, again. I know for a fact that there is just ONE variation of LE on Star Wars. So no Light or Dark side LE's. Just one. And 1,000 is not LIMITED. Maybe 700 but I would suspect 500. And yes, if you are not on a list already for a Star Wars LE there is no chance you'll get one. All in the US are sold out. Lists with distributors are HUGE.

I highly doubt Stern makes 1,000 LE's of anything ever, again. I know for a fact that there is just ONE variation of LE on Star Wars. So no Light or Dark side LE's. Just one. And 1,000 is not LIMITED. Maybe 700 but I would suspect 500. And yes, if you are not on a list already for a Star Wars LE there is no chance you'll get one. All in the US are sold out. Lists with distributors are HUGE.
Stern aren't exactly known for wanting to leave money behind.

If you're right, then they're turning their nose up at a hell of a lot of extra revenue, especially if there's no SLE.

It would also make their continual slash and burn cost cutting programme all the more bizarre if they don't fully exploit Star Wars. Even more so as it's probably their last chance to make an absolute killing before their market share drops dramatically.

No need to bump up the LE numbers, they will still make a killing from the Premiums when the LE's sell out.

Why would Stern's market share drop dramatically, who's going to take it? Heighway production is incredibly slow, and I doubt that JJP's Dialed In is a big seller.

they will probably do runs of premium when the le`s sell out, just like TWD sold out of le`s they said there would be no premium option. same playfield just different artwork

No need to bump up the LE numbers, they will still make a killing from the Premiums when the LE's sell out.

Why would Stern's market share drop dramatically, who's going to take it? Heighway production is incredibly slow, and I doubt that JJP's Dialed In is a big seller.
We've been hearing about Stern's imminent decline for years now. Ain't gonna happen.

Their market share has already dropped enormously in the space of a few short years.

JJP ought to hit 4000 units, or a cadence of, this year. CGC have said their production target for the new line is 15 machines a day, 6 days a week, for AFMr and MMr ... very conservatively, that's well over 3000 machines p.a. (when accounting for holidays, swaps and slow downs). Spooky are going to sell a lot of Danesi's TNA. Be surprised if they don't produce in the high hundreds this year. American Pinball are clearly serious, and pretty capable given how quickly they turned around a brand new design for Houdini ... I don't think it's their intention to be boutique, but a major producer. HomePin, who are definitely geared towards thousands rather than hundreds, ought to enter production later this year. HW and DP for the moment are total non-entities as far as volume is concerned, if they survive.

I'll be flabbergasted if by the end of the year, Stern aren't producing under 50% of new machines. It will only continue to fall from there.

I'll be flabbergasted if by the end of the year, Stern aren't producing under 50% of new machines. It will only continue to fall from there.

It's an interesting case you make, but surely you're not taking the arcade industry market into consideration. Other than Stern, most of those manufacturers (with the arguable exception of JJP) are not yet geared up for mass production. Nor do they have the decades of experience and relations with the industry that Stern has built up. Stern is at the current time selling a huge amount to the non-home market. It will take years and years of reliable supply before any other company even makes a dent in that.

It's an interesting case you make, but surely you're not taking the arcade industry market into consideration. Other than Stern, most of those manufacturers (with the arguable exception of JJP) are not yet geared up for mass production. Nor do they have the decades of experience and relations with the industry that Stern has built up. Stern is at the current time selling a huge amount to the non-home market. It will take years and years of reliable supply before any other company even makes a dent in that.

CGC / Churchill have been making pinball playfields and cabinets in the thousands for decades, and arcade and amusement machines for a number of years. They're not newbies. If they have set up a production line and issued production numbers, it ought to be accurate given how long they've been in this.

HomePin already ship arcade cocktail tables ... they're not a vapourware company like a number of other recent entrants (failed or currently failing), and if you follow the Pinside thread, the parts they're designing and making are pretty impressive, and not something that could be made to work for tiny volumes.

AP have resources behind them and have hired excellent staff now that they've dispensed with JPop. Houdini looks pretty good.

Re: Spooky. I think Danesi's TNA will sell way more than Alice Cooper. The reaction on Pinside has been almost overwhelming. Obviously they're limited by the size of their facility and probably modest capital, but they're the only new company that has delivered, and done so on or ahead of time up until now.

Back
Top Bottom