What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FS Williams Hurricane NEW IN BOX

Some advice before going to the U.S. Market. Genuine buyers are going to be very interested in the story behind the machine and how you acquired it. A receipt of original purchase would be amazing, but proof of purchase and a trail from owners will be important if you are not the original purchaser

Cmon guys this sniping ain't good for the group.Anyone can go onto this site and read comments (yes i know they can't post unless a member) and it might be off putting reading this. The guys found a nib machine. He ain't twisting anyones dick up their back to buy it. Ok we all agree it's not worth £7k but supposing next time he finds something that is worth his asking price and he thinks F you lot and then we all miss out.
Were on here to help each other.

I am right at the beginning of researching Galaga/Galaxian games so no idea how hard they are to find or what price they are.

I can help. Are you on Facebook? I going to sell a Space Ace from the ireland Atari-plant soon. This is something very hard to find....something like the MM of the video-arcade-world.

Hi synonym9
Is there any chance that you can post pics of All sides inc top and bottom of said box ?

Just to show condition of said box meaning that it has not been tampered with !!

If possible could you take a pic of inside of said box though that open corner?

"Could be a TAF gold inside guys"

I have to visit the operator the next days and will make pictures. He sent me some but they are not sharp.

Cmon guys this sniping ain't good for the group.Anyone can go onto this site and read comments (yes i know they can't post unless a member) and it might be off putting reading this. The guys found a nib machine. He ain't twisting anyones dick up their back to buy it. Ok we all agree it's not worth £7k but supposing next time he finds something that is worth his asking price and he thinks F you lot and then we all miss out.
Were on here to help each other.

It happended before. If you read the story in the link you see there were a lot of high-dollar games in the raid like Space Ace, Asteroids DX, Space Harrier and so on.
Some german fools also put me under pressure and stressed me because I wanted to keep most of the machines and also did´nt approve the way I handled the sale (which was´nt even startet the time they started to stress me).
More and more members teamed-up for jeliousy until I stopped the possibilty for a purchase for the entire forum.

Thanks for the defense to you too, I really appreciate :)

Few points as mentioned
Confirm what game is in box. Bob Thompson bought 2 nib comets at a deith leisure clearance and both turned out to be high speeds!
Don't open it. Even if it is hurricane its very rare to find nib anything so keep it that way. An American collector will be after this.
A nib black knight sold $7000 in 2007 on ebay but was in a very dry warehouse in a dry climate
Good luck with sale. I can't stand the machine but doesn't mean it won't have a market.

Wonder what a nib TAF would be worth? 2 kidneys and a liver I imagine!

So to sum up, just what I have read, it is only worth what is it worth because it is NIB, so when I get my MMr NIB when it gets here, if I take it out of the box it will only be worth what a MMr market price/condition says it, but if I keep it in the cardboard, that brown thin coating 20 or so years down the line may make it worth 4 times what the going rate for the said machine is out of the box, even if I can't get the pleasure of using it, or the new owner, even if it is still in fantastic home use only condition?
Why is something in a box you can never use, because if you do it will be worth what is in the box is actually worth?
I kind of get it but I don't, good luck with the sale and all that, but surly you can only polish a turd so much but it is still a turd, and one you cant use, you might as well have a lump of concrete in there?

So to sum up, just what I have read, it is only worth what is it worth because it is NIB, so when I get my MMr NIB when it gets here, if I take it out of the box it will only be worth what a MMr market price/condition says it, but if I keep it in the cardboard, that brown thin coating 20 or so years down the line may make it worth 4 times what the going rate for the said machine is out of the box, even if I can't get the pleasure of using it, or the new owner, even if it is still in fantastic home use only condition?
Why is something in a box you can never use, because if you do it will be worth what is in the box is actually worth?
I kind of get it but I don't, good luck with the sale and all that, but surly you can only polish a turd so much but it is still a turd, and one you cant use, you might as well have a lump of concrete in there?

Please, we had all that the entire day. You say the machine suck but you act like you are jealous of the find.
YOU maybe think it sucks, I talked to my friend today who particpated to the raid and he played for example MM and says it is not as good as everybody says. He also says the Hurricane is a great machine and I think the same. If it would´nt be NIB and therefore valuable I would keep it as my first pinball.

Whatever, your entire posting was what we had 10 times today and is only YOUR opinion (who says we all think like that?), Hurricane IS a good game, but maybe not or the pinball-hipster.

I do not speak German. I appreciate that English is probably not the original poster's first language.

But may I ask what you mean by "raid". Did you actually buy these games ?

This boxed thing stopped being fun when it became a collectors item, like a comic in the original unopened wrapper you can never open and so never read. Maybe there are some collectors in UK but I don't think there's any on this forum.

It's a shame if you never played any games yourself except for Hurricane. I recommend the Pinball Arcade app for phone/tablet/PC/console, as it will show you 60 different games and maybe you will become a 'pin guy' or, as we like to call ourselves, pinhead.

Good luck with sale. That box needs an X-ray.

I never played Hurricane, I watched it on YouTube.
I played Whirlwind and some others though...
I want a Hurricane one day for myself.

I have fond memories of Hurricane in the arcade when I was young but there is a difference between playing a game 20 times on location and owning it, playing it another 20 times and getting bored. Genuine good luck with the sale though.

"Space Ace" got my attention, another big nostalgia moment for me. It's probably another game that I would play 5 times and get completely bored with though. I guess it depends on whether a game is for playing or just a big shiny trophy.

I guess opening any new in box is the same as driving a new car away from garage - instant drop in value.

Not heard of Space Ace.

I used to play Galaxian/Galaga a ton and as ever finding nice original will be hard.

Not heard of Space Ace.
Its kind of the un-official sequel to Dragons Lair. Same Don Bluth animation style and the same gameplay but wasnt anywhere near as big a hit, probably as the wow factor that Dragons Lair had when it came out had worn off

The great thing about those games was that you could draw a crowd if you were any good. Mind you, I even had a few spectators playing a Police Force pin back in the day.

The great thing about those games was that you could draw a crowd if you were any good. Mind you, I even had a few spectators playing a Police Force pin back in the day.
.....and get the inevitable question from the kids: "Can you win money on that machine Mister?"

Not to mention "Can you lend me 20p because this machine is about to pay out?"

Space Ace is like a pod of gold, especially the version of the Atari plant in Tipperary. That are rare ones with onscreen scoreboad and a big Atari-Sign between the speakers.
I restore one of the 2 I have and put it on eBay as well soon.

Brilliant find! Love to see this sort of thing still happening. Raids are awesome. If you get the chance, I highly recommend you attend one.

Good luck with the sale.

You sign ..........

HERE

:D
This pinside-forum is a new experience, it got a totally differnet layout and functionallity. I stated no offers (but had to choose an option and since no option fitted quite right I have choosen offers) but people offer prices.
One now offered a crazy amount of money but did´nt drop me a line, which does not appear very seriously. I wrote him if I can take his offer serious or not but if not I dont like that. Pinside should make serious offers only are mandatory.

Good luck with your sale. I suspect Pinside is likely to be a more viable option for finding a buyer who's willing to pay a premium price. There may be potential buyers in the UK but they probably aren't active on this site.

The sealed NIB concept is very important for some people. The same way that people who collect Star Wars dolls etc want them to be in mint packaging rather than opened. I really wouldn't advise you to open the box to check battery damage etc as then it's not mint (even if a game has never been played on it). Although it wouldn't matter to me at all it will matter to a certain type of potential buyer. Being sealed is probably more important to some people than battery leaks. A new board can pretty easily be sourced if the buyer actually ever decides to open it.

I'd still suspect that the title itself would be important to virtually any collector whatever the hobby is. Think of stamps. They are all little pieces of paper but some are worth pennies and others the same as a house. I think if you had a NIB BBB or MM (or even a TAF) then the sky would be the limit for you:)

I suspect that this will go to a collector/investor rather than anyone who will ever play it. The backstory will be important to them

Please do let us know how this works out in the end. My money would be on this pin ending up being shipped back to the states.

Don't open it. Even if it is hurricane its very rare to find nib anything so keep it that way.

I was just wondering, if you don't open the box, then how do you verify the correct game is in the box?

Additionally, if you some how peeked into the box without opening it, you would get a glimpse of a hurricane with half its playfield rubbers falling off. How without opening up the game and pulling it out of the box would you verify that the game is new and unplayed?

Someone could make a fortune by getting old tat machines off ebay and putting them in authentic looking artificially aged cardboard boxes and sealing them. They they could sell them onto mug collectors who know they can't open the box ever, else it will wipe 4x the value off the game.

Do you even need to put a pinball machine in the box, or could you just put some old bits of wood in their that weigh about the same as the pinball machine. No one will ever know, as the "collector" can't take it out of the box

Space Ace is like a pod of gold, especially the version of the Atari plant in Tipperary. That are rare ones with onscreen scoreboad and a big Atari-Sign between the speakers.
I restore one of the 2 I have and put it on eBay as well soon.
Be interested to see how much it goes for. I have a fully restored, working, Dragon's Lair. Good luck with your NIB pin sale.

@lukewells

I could not agree more. But some folk love this stuff. An example is fine wine. I know guys who buy v expensive cases of wine as an investment as it is capital gains tax free. It lives in bonded, temperature controlled, warehouses so they never actually see it.

Then they flog it and hope to make a profit from guys who also never see or touch the bottles. Once out of the controlled warehouse, value is at risk as no one will believe that it has been properly kept unless you are a big name in the industry

Luke, if you are buying a machine as an investment then does it matter what is in the box? It's kind of like the Schrodinger's cat thing. As long as it's sealed it's possible that it's a NIB MM etc.

I've got a piece of paper saying I "own" X amount of shares. Never actually seen the shares themselves. I've also got an electronic number saying how much (or little) I have in the bank. If we all decided to draw out the amount they say we have then I suspect the entire banking system would collapse.

Always fancied telling people I was a nuclear missile designer. How would they ever know if the crap I designed actually worked?

upload_2015-7-22_18-2-57.png

Buying it from Williams or TNT Amusements with provenance is one thing. Buying it from our new Austrian friend is quite another

Back
Top Bottom