What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FS Williams Hurricane NEW IN BOX

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You can distill anything down to its purist form, all cars are the same too, steering wheel, 4 wheels and an engine...

Yes, I dont want and won´t change pinball prices but if you say a Hurry barely makes 700 pounds and a MM makes 12000 or more I wonder where the difference in the layout is that justifies that difference in the price.

Unfortunately there is an issue that some people dont get.

Think of the NIB machine as a house.

You can add 10 bedrooms... At the end of the day it's still only worth the same as a 4 bed.

Why is this?

It's because there is a limit to what everyone will pay for something. A finite limit.

I could take an RFM, and return it to NIB condition. However it wouldnt then immediately become worth £5k. It would still be a £2k machine (if i was lucky!)... There are market limits to things.

Does that make sense?? Or am i just delusional??

So to explain a little more....

IF this were a NIB MM

Original MM usually go for anywhere between £4k and £6k at a rough guess

NIB MM would probably come in at the top end.

Now... Hurricane is say a £1100-1400 machine

Why would this now be worth £7k plus shipping????

Ok, lets get to helping you out here, you've stated that you're not a "pin guy" so you have come to the right place for help. However a little research is needed first:

To begin, we have a thread on here called "How much is this table worth?", you can find it below:

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/the-how-much-is-this-table-worth-thread.5286/

Posting in this thread asking the percieved value of a NIB Hurricane would have been a grand place to begin and you would have been advised on a more realistic price point than £7000 :thumbs:

Despite the fact it is NIB, as Carl has said, there is a fair chance the 25 year old batteries have leaked causing god knows what level of acid damage to the CPU (and possibly other) boards. These are not cheap to replace.

Also, where has it been stored for the past 25 years? Was it possibly damp or humid?

You say that:

The pins however oll play with a ball, shoot the ball out almost the same way, have flipper-fingers, drop targets, bumpers, ramps they even copied that DMD´s one company from the others.

A little research goes a long, long way here not just for talking about how they play but also the value of pinball machines. If you had a NIB 'A' listed Bally Williams title (lets say Addams Family, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness), these are worth a heck of a lot more than a NIB Hurricane would be due to their popularity, quality and demand. You might Hurricane and fair play if you do, we all have different tastes here but it is not a top rated machine in any quarters.

You say that someone has offered you 4000 euros, that equates to around £2800 which is well short of the £7000 you ask for in the original post.

There is a lot of information online with getting an idea of what a pinball machine is actually worth but putting a seemingly random value on a machine that is not universally popular and expecting to sell it here, where the majority of members are "pin heads" and know the rough value of machines wont go anywhere.

I wish you well in your sale (especially because Vienna is such a great city full of great people) but please don't expect to get that sort of money unless it is from someone who has lost their marbles or has no idea the actual value of a pinball machine.

Regards
Ian

Yes, I dont want and won´t change pinball prices but if you say a Hurry barely makes 700 pounds and a MM makes 12000 or more I wonder where the difference in the layout is that justifies that difference in the price.

A Ferrari and a Ford Focus both have 4 wheels and an engine......

This is a super super rare find. Those people comparing it to a minty Hurricane for £1500 or whatever, of course your opinions are valid, but this is something very different. There is a very niche market of collectors out there who will go crazy for this. Whether you will get your asking price? Who knows, but my suggestion is put it up on pinside and be willing to ship it to the states if you want to get top dollar

This is a super super rare find. Those people comparing it to a minty Hurricane for £1500 or whatever, of course your opinions are valid, but this is something very different. There is a very niche market of collectors out there who will go crazy for this. Whether you will get your asking price? Who knows, but my suggestion is put it up on pinside and be willing to ship it to the states if you want to get top dollar

My friend lives in the USA for a year now and also told me the prices are higher than in Europe, which is funny as all the machines are american made apart of SEGA, right?

I could try this. I would like to see this machine in a collectors hands who got the right pleasure of it.

Have just read through all these posts and to be honest I'm embarrassed to be British as the guy comes along with a great find and all we do is basically 'slate' him/pick fault with what he is offering and argue over examples and then assume that just because you don't think it is worth it then it must be right!! It is his for sale thread after all and that should be respected, ok some of the comments maybe aren't meant to be serious but to a newbie poster he isn't going to understand your mentality/joke/p..s taking. Respect and don't be sheep as too many fs threads are being corrupted by posts that divert it away from the original content. It was only last week that the president of the 'pinball police' decided that a PM for a for sale post wasn't a valid reason to buy it but because somebody had wanted this particular machine for ages then precedence was set!!

Is it the old Blackpool saying "A machine is worth what anybody will pay for it"

There may be a collector out there who wants NIB but wants to leave it in the box so wouldn't give diddly squit about batteries, corrosion, etc. Or somebody who played this as a kid and now has loads of spare cash. Could be lots of reasons.

Ok if it is mates jesting on their own posts/threads or taking the wee wee out of @Will because his latest keeper will be FS next week.

Flame me if you want but lets give our EU neighbours and other FS threads some respect. :)

Personally I think it is a lot but www now so lots of buyers out there, many that don't post on here, so good luck :thumbs:

Unfortunately there is an issue that some people dont get.

Think of the NIB machine as a house.

You can add 10 bedrooms... At the end of the day it's still only worth the same as a 4 bed.

Why is this?

It's because there is a limit to what everyone will pay for something. A finite limit.

I could take an RFM, and return it to NIB condition. However it wouldnt then immediately become worth £5k. It would still be a £2k machine (if i was lucky!)... There are market limits to things.

Does that make sense?? Or am i just delusional??

This could barly any wronger...

A house with 10 badrooms OF COURSE is more expensive than one with 4 or even 1. That is the reason why there are houses in the 100 000 range, the 300 000, 1 000 000, 20 000 000 and above.

Next thing that could´nt be any wronger, a restored machine, no matter how good it is restored will never have the status of a NIB-machine.
That was absolutely nothing.....

Have just read through all these posts and to be honest I'm embarrassed to be British as the guy comes along with a great find and all we do is basically 'slate' him/pick fault with what he is offering and argue over examples and then assume that just because you don't think it is worth it then it must be right!! It is his for sale thread after all and that should be respected, ok some of the comments maybe aren't meant to be serious but to a newbie poster he isn't going to understand your mentality/joke/p..s taking. Respect and don't be sheep as too many fs threads are being corrupted by posts that divert it away from the original content. It was only last week that the president of the 'pinball police' decided that a PM for a for sale post wasn't a valid reason to buy it but because somebody had wanted this particular machine for ages then precedence was set!!

Is it the old Blackpool saying "A machine is worth what anybody will pay for it"

There may be a collector out there who wants NIB but wants to leave it in the box so wouldn't give diddly squit about batteries, corrosion, etc. Or somebody who played this as a kid and now has loads of spare cash. Could be lots of reasons.

Ok if it is mates jesting on their own posts/threads or taking the wee wee out of @Will because his latest keeper will be FS next week.

Flame me if you want but lets give our EU neighbours and other FS threads some respect. :)

Personally I think it is a lot but www now so lots of buyers out there, many that don't post on here, so good luck :thumbs:

WOW...Sir, this is the first time (and I am in many different forums) members choose the side of the newbie an defend him. This seems to be special place. It looks like that the UK-forums are the best worldwide because also UKVAC was my favorite forum but it became a bit lame and people was more interested in fooling one another than to post useful content...but it was still the best forum hands down.

As for the machine and the possibility that it keeps in box for ever, I wanted to open it to make pictures but than I thought "no, its not new in box as soon as i opened it, so I did not open it.

welcome to the site. unfortunately everyone here is obsessed with price and value, as they are expensive toys.

i only played a Hurricane once i think, and i agree that there will be people somewhere who will be happy to pay top price for a brand new one - but one point that has been brought up a few times now with out an answer is this: new games came with AA batteries installed; these will most likely now have leaked and destroyed at least one board. could you perhaps open the box to find out? that will certainly affect the value, even to someone with very deep pockets.

could you perhaps open the box to find out? that will certainly affect the value, even to someone with very deep pockets.

That's the catch 22 though. You only know what you've got when you open the box. And by taking it out of the box you a) spoil that 'nib' experience for the eventual owner (arguably devaluing it) or worse b) find out all the metal parts have corroded, or the wood has got damp or any other thing that devalues it.

Basically, your most optimistic result from opening the box is turning it into a pristine HUO Hurricane.. £2k at very best?

There was a NIB something that sold for silly money in the states a while back, and when they opened it, the batteries had leaked (as expected), but also all the metal ramps/rails/mechanisms etc all had signs of corrosion too. Cost them another $thousands to restore it back to 'nib' state, and after spending literally tens of thousands of dollars.. you've got what.. A nice looking Hurricane?

Sincerely, though good luck. Chances are there will be someone (probably in the USA) crazy enough to consider it. Whether they actually open it or just keep it sealed up for fleecing someone else though... hmmm.

Yes, a leaking of the batteries is possible but not sure. I have arcade-machines even older which did not. I will never understand what makes one batterie leaking and the other one not :hmm:

Well, if I were interested I would want loads of photos of it set up to see if it looks like new. Then it can go back in the box;)

Nice find and interested in the Galaxian comments.

I am after a mint original Galaga or Galaxian but wouldn't know where to start!

And have to agree that in a lot of cases pinball prices are crazy:clap:

There probably is a Hurricane in that box, but I'm sure I've heard about a case where an unopened box labelled 'Comet' actually contained a High Speed.

Another friendly welcome to Pinballinfo I see. :rolleyes:

A NIB Hurricane is a great find! You are unlikely to ever see another one.
Good luck with the sale.

Sometimes this place is great, and sometimes it actually blows ****. How come we have a rule that forbids comments on people's for sale threads...unless they are new, or non-UK residents? It's just unnecessary and rude.

Well, if I were interested I would want loads of photos of it set up to see if it looks like new. Then it can go back in the box;)

Nice find and interested in the Galaxian comments.

I am after a mint original Galaga or Galaxian but wouldn't know where to start!

And have to agree that in a lot of cases pinball prices are crazy:clap:

At the moment they ask for CRAZY prices for Galaga...although its nothing really special. My friend who lives in the USA for the coming year will comeback with a container.
I can connect you with him, when he finds one the two games he can contact you.

At the moment they ask for CRAZY prices for Galaga...although its nothing really special. My friend who lives in the USA for the coming year will comeback with a container.

Thanks for the support sir, you give me the hope for forums back. From the video-arcade-forums I dont know it that long-time members defend newbies. Instead of that it happens what happened here in the beginning, they team up and kick the newbies ass.

But how I said, UK-based forums always seemed to be a bit ahead in there standards :)

Cheers :thumbs:

I am right at the beginning of researching Galaga/Galaxian games so no idea how hard they are to find or what price they are.

Unless you are going to keep the machine, do not open it. I have spoken to many high end collectors about this type of deal. And frankly batteries that have leaked are not a huge issue for someone who is going to buy this game. Someone with that kind of cash, will be very interested in it being original and getting that NIB experience. Replacing a board because of acid damage is obviously something they will have considered with something like this and will factor into the deal.

My advice with going to the states with this deal is not about pin prices being more or less out there, it's to do with the fact that there are so many more of them and certainly more of a market for something like this.

All the best with the sale

Reactions: JT.
Hi synonym9
Is there any chance that you can post pics of All sides inc top and bottom of said box ?

Just to show condition of said box meaning that it has not been tampered with !!

If possible could you take a pic of inside of said box though that open corner?

"Could be a TAF gold inside guys"

Stick a for sale thread on pinside and see if anyone bites

Edit: and by bites I mean by buying it, not giving negativity

Welcome to the forum @Synonym9 :thumbs:

This is genuine advice (which you can choose to ignore)

If this was me, and I had the new in box Hurricane, and someone offered me 4000e for it, I would take the money without question as that is already double what they are usually worth in mint condition. To some people, buying new in box is a very exciting concept, and some will pay a premium for it on an older game like this, but it's not a £7000 game.

Good luck whatever you decide. It is an exciting find!

Back
Top Bottom