What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Fish Tales shop log

Kev did you find the answer to what goes under that screw on the right plastic ? Are you on about what goes under the plastic ?
no lee I didn't looks like a post should be there ??

not looked on IPDB yet (too lazy!!) but thought someone may be able to tell me vey quickly!!

no lee I didn't looks like a post should be there ??

not looked on IPDB yet (too lazy!!) but thought someone may be able to tell me vey quickly!!
Is it under the plastic ? , cos if it is I,ll take mine off and have a look but if it's on the plastic there is nothing there the screw sits snugg on top of the plastic

Is it under the plastic ? , cos if it is I,ll take mine off and have a look but if it's on the plastic there is nothing there the screw sits snugg on top of the plastic
If you could just take apic of that plastic on the rhs of the PF and post it up lee that would be great

I should have some of them kev , it's just the black plastic post which clips through the plastic and expands in the hole when you tighten the screw , i,ll have a look when it decides to stop raining

Is it not the white posts.
I have a faint memory of it being a white one from when I had one or the few I owned.
Like this.

P_20140523_175015.jpg

thanks lee - There is some of those white post elsewhere Darren up the top of the playfield - see pic below
P5210103.JPG

Attachments

• P5200099.JPG
    P5200099.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 2
Bit more work tonight gave the playfield a deep polish as you can see now in the before and after !

P5210154.JPG

P5230157.JPG

Next question is do I do anything with these inserts - pics are brilliant but would appreciate any comments

P5230158.JPG

P5230159.JPG

P5230160.JPG

you can see on these above that it looks like insert decals may have been replaced but they look dull and scratched ???

P5230167.JPG

thanks again guys

Cheers Kev

Bit more work tonight gave the playfield a deep polish as you can see now in the before and after !

View attachment 7548

View attachment 7549

Next question is do I do anything with these inserts - pics are brilliant but would appreciate any comments

View attachment 7550

View attachment 7551

View attachment 7552

you can see on these above that it looks like insert decals may have been replaced but they look dull and scratched ???

View attachment 7553

thanks again guys

Cheers Kev
Kev, it depends how far you want to go with it , loads more work if you change the insert decals , do you want a player game or a showroom finish , If you want to move it on , you could do a little touch up and a couple of clearcoats and it's good for another ten years , if you want it immaculate then I would reseat the inserts and re decal them then clearcoat , like I said its up to what you want to do with it

So before I can go any further I needed a rotisserie - so I knocked one up today and it works a treat!!! Used nylock nuts nice and tight and it hold solid at any position!!!

P5260168.JPG

P5260169.JPG

Done a little bit of work on the knackered mini playfield. I flatted it off with 400 grit wet and dry, the planking has gone through to the paint, but it smoothe doff nice and I have given it 6 coats of clearcoat and it is like glass and very glossy, but it just doesn't show up in the pic

P5260170.JPG

Bit of metal polishing gone as well guess which is the before and after!!!!
P5260172.JPG

That's all for today!!!!

Looks really good - think I need to make one for myself...How have you attached the playfield to it?

Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan, Just put bolts through holes that are already there in the playfield into the dexion angle - simples!!!!

cheers Kev

P5280174.JPG OK more progress - firstly here is the finished mini playfield with six coats of clearcoat and all re assembled. looking pretty good!!!

Next I stripped the playfield flat ready to clearcoat as well

P5280190.JPG

Need to take off the flipper mechs though Oops!!!

And already now collecting quite a few mechs in need of a good clean!!!

P5280188.JPG

That's it for now!!!

Attachments

• P5280175.JPG
    P5280175.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 5
Nice work! Did you do the clearcoat yourself?

And nice wooden home-made rotisserie too! I think I'll make one similar as I have plenty of carc to hand. Just need some of that slotted angle-iron.

Nice work! Did you do the clearcoat yourself?

And nice wooden home-made rotisserie too! I think I'll make one similar as I have plenty of carc to hand. Just need some of that slotted angle-iron.

Yes I did the clearcoat myself - done three mini playfields now and have turned out great so ready to try and do a full playfield!!!

The rotisserie took me about an hour to make!!! some gash 3x2 and a few bolts, length of angle and jobs done!!! just used nylock nuts as a lock nut and made it really tight on the wood so it holds in any position. I guess after a while it may wear loose but you can just tighten them further. Another option I was going to do was to drill the hole in the wood bigger and sleeve the bolt with a piece of 10mm copper pipe then tighten the bolts onto this. May try this if it constantly wears loose but so far so good!!!

Cheers Kev

I guess depends on how much you use it. For occasional home-use I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe some big flat washers to stop the nuts sinking into the wood? The Nylocs are a must. Not much of a hardship to pop a spanner on now and then to re-tighten.

Sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what are you using to clearcoat? Rattle cans or do you have a sprayer? Which brand are you using?

I guess depends on how much you use it. For occasional home-use I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe some big flat washers to stop the nuts sinking into the wood? The Nylocs are a must. Not much of a hardship to pop a spanner on now and then to re-tighten.

Sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what are you using to clearcoat? Rattle cans or do you have a sprayer? Which brand are you using?
twas earlier in the thread but here it is !!!

autotek in cans off ebay - works really well - lee Ellison recommended it - he used it on his Addams

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291137966347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Doh! I just re-read this entire shop log and the post about the clearcoat was above your picture of the finished mini-playfield!

But I'm very pleased to hear that you're pleased with the results as that's exactly the clear I also bought off eBay on the recommendation of another PinballInfo member :)

Any tips for getting a good finish? How long between coats? Did you sand between coats at all?

no more than 15 mins between coats. Make sure you are in a dust free atmosphere!!! No need to sand between coats unless you get some crap drying on it, and if you do, a quick flat with 400 grit works a treat and one more coat brings the shine back!!!

no more than 15 mins between coats. Make sure you are in a dust free atmosphere!!! No need to sand between coats unless you get some crap drying on it, and if you do, a quick flat with 400 grit works a treat and one more coat brings the shine back!!!
Thanks, Kev.

If it does need an "emergency" sand due to some errant dust, etc., do you leave it a bit longer or is it dry enough after 15 minutes as long as the coats are light? I had a disaster trying to remove some imperfections between coats - luckily it was just a test on a sample decal and scrap of Contiboard!

Regards, Peter

Back
Top Bottom