What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay Auctions 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TAF I got from Ebay recently was originally (as such) sold by Home Leisure. It played very well but it was a little tatty, dirty inside and had been ledded by someone with no sense of colour. Took me a while to refurb but it's very nice now :)

I bought a couple of machines from HL and ended up sending them back due to the quality of them as opposed to their listing. Obviously I know better and they're just a dealer, I wouldn't buy from them unless I had no choice.

Check out the front and legs on this beauty
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_BzsAAOSwv2taz0Gj_s_l200.jpg

Look at this on eBay
Williams Black Jack Pinball Circa 1960
be warned thats williams amusements there are several threads on the arcade forums warning people off them and for good reason

The TAF I got from Ebay recently was originally (as such) sold by Home Leisure. It played very well but it was a little tatty, dirty inside and had been ledded by someone with no sense of colour. Took me a while to refurb but it's very nice now :)

I bought a couple of machines from HL and ended up sending them back due to the quality of them as opposed to their listing. Obviously I know better and they're just a dealer, I wouldn't buy from them unless I had no choice.
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Or something.

That overpriced EBD is on eBay again, bidding is at £400 if anybody fancies paying a fortune for a huge project

I thought a few on here had offered £400 on it anyway and had that rejected, so some people believe there is enough in it for that money.

Before anyone bids on the pile of s*** EBD LE with its bubbled backglass, ripped out ball trough ....

You don't often see paint coming off in big sheets like that......and difficult to think just how that damage to the trough happened??? :eek:

It's far from beyond saving IMO. But no playtesting in person? (That's the implication with 'no power to site')
Visible and nasty damage to paint?
And oh - even if you had power, no playtesting possible because there is a mass of wood splinters and air where the ball trough normally is?

If it was about £50-100 I would be having a word with my wife whether we could make the space for it. £400, feck off

At least at £50-100 it would be a tidy profit in parting out if what's obvious in the pictures is just the beginning of it. At £400 for starters, there's not even any profit in breaking it.

Last edited:
It is a strange situation isn't it with "projects" - I put up for a project pin because I cannot at the moment afford another fully working unit, plus I like the project element of doing it, all the offers I got (or the majority, some just weren't for me) meant that the money putting into them, would get you a fully working one, and all of your time was essentially FOC, meaning if you have the cash, just get a fully working nice one. EBD seems to be the same, at £400, plus all the time and effort, it will be at least £1k - and that's what they go for...

It is a strange situation isn't it with "projects" - I put up for a project pin because I cannot at the moment afford another fully working unit, plus I like the project element of doing it, all the offers I got (or the majority, some just weren't for me) meant that the money putting into them, would get you a fully working one, and all of your time was essentially FOC, meaning if you have the cash, just get a fully working nice one. EBD seems to be the same, at £400, plus all the time and effort, it will be at least £1k - and that's what they go for...
It's that it's a total and utter gamble, with a bunch of enormous red flags on it. A lot of people won't settle for rebuilding wood parts so £400 + the cost of a new playfield and cabinet is already dissolving any sales profits - and that's before the cost of any plastics or electronics that are out to tea.

I wouldn't be surprised if large parts of the wood are rotting considering the storage conditions.

I also almost never value my time in money for projects like this but the time investment required to keep a profit headroom in making it saleable is a non-starter. It would be another thing if it was either a truly rare game; or your personal Grail Pin.

Totally agree with everyone, at 100 maybe 200 at a push I would give it a go but the bid is just too high. Wish the best of luck to whoever wins the auction, hopefully there isnt too many hidden gremlins in the machine when it eventually gets switched on :confused:

Totally agree with everyone, at 100 maybe 200 at a push I would give it a go but the bid is just too high. Wish the best of luck to whoever wins the auction, hopefully there isnt too many hidden gremlins in the machine when it eventually gets switched on :confused:
I just hope the bidder realises that they need to rebuild the playfield before they lose too many balls in the cabinet :rofl:

@Adajam4

The problem with projects is that some faults may render a game completely uneconomic.

You can buy a filthy, barn find, complete game with a board fault and it might be ok as a refurb candidate. Fundamentally sound, complete, dead games with board problems are perfectly salvageable and might cost you 400 or so.

Some titles from this era are worth major work - like fathom, centaur. Most of them aren't as you could never hope to recoup the money .

You might get 1500 for a working fathom. A working ebd can probably be had for well below a grand

What could truly break you and render the refurb a guaranteed financial loser are things like ..

• Awful cabinet - like this one. Where some moron has done a diy job with dulux. The paint, stencils and work required to make it right represent a massive job. You are looking at 200 to 300 for the materials alone. Then days and days of skilled work
  • Awful playfield. A new pf is 800 plus . Massive job. Days and days of skilled work
  • Awful backglass. The replacement may be unobtainable. Or you may be into 200 plus for a repro, which you buy and then think is crap. Or you might get a good used one for 100 if you are very lucky.
  • Missing major playfield parts like inline drop target banks or a game specific mech. Could take you years to find one.
  • Missing ramps - unobtainable for old ballys
Simply replacing the cosmetic parts of pops, drops and playfield plastics on a Bally SS game is 100 to 200 if they are knackered.

So the Gofers sold at £2045, the same pin was for sale on here at £2600 last year, so I think its a good price ?

So the Gofers sold at £2045, the same pin was for sale on here at £2600 last year, so I think its a good price ?

I guess that depends on whether the seller honours the sale or simply marks it as no longer for sale damaged. £600 is a pretty big hit.

He seems genuine, I was talking to him, have said I will collect it in the week, but from the condition I think its a good price, only seems to have a bit of playfield wear by the wheel, have asked Chris how much that would be to repair the playfield, but also see the orders are open on the reproduction playfields.

I feel bad that Pete has taken a hit on that, but I had pledged it for the NLP show last year, was planning on selling it there and would have taken the highest offer over 2k, Pete offered me 2.5k the week before NLP so I accepted. Well that’s the risk of ebay auctions I guess.

Ebay is fairly risk free. If it's too big a hit there are ways out. Some fault thats suddenly cropped up. Accidental damage or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom