What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay Auctions 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked to a guy who said they have been offered £2000 and the manager will be sorting it out Monday

For the uninitiated - what sort of money should it be going for?

Looks alright condition but has a credit dot as well as the problem explained in the description (I have no idea if you guys are bothered by credit dots or not)

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever turns up to collect it finds the price has gone up again or its already gone. Too much hassle for me, I'm out. One for the van owning locals.

Credit dot could be minor. Date not set, battery flat. Or it could be anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever turns up to collect it finds the price has gone up again or its already gone. Too much hassle for me, I'm out. One for the van owning locals.

Credit dot could be minor. Date not set, battery flat. Or it could be anything.

Yep - I've told this before ....a few years back I got a £400 Demo Man from Gumtree ...but I literally had to jump in car, drive 2 hours, by time i got there the guy had had a million phone calls ...and was asking *me* if he had underpriced it. I got it loaded and out of there asap :D

I hated the game and sold it soon after :rolleyes:

Same with that Dracula darn sarth that was same sort of money, couldn't ring Martin quick enough. Never got it mind.

I must be going soft or have morals..... in the few situations like this, I've told them its worth but made an offer to take as is based on what it's worth to me. 50/50 result normally.... but wished karma existed.

I must be going soft or have morals..... in the few situations like this, I've told them its worth but made an offer to take as is based on what it's worth to me. 50/50 result normally.... but wished karma existed.
It is a tricky one. But unlikely they will be selling for less than they paid for it....so all's fair in love and war, and pinball

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMP
I did a similar thing with a junk yard that was for sale near me, she said open to offers with no other information on the game. I offered 1500 but said I could go to 2k if the game was in good order - she says it was faulty. She was nice to chat to but I never heard from her again. I’m guessing someone had to pay over the asking price for it.
kat

That has worked quite well in a reverse situation for me when a Theatre of Magic came up on eBay, Mrs Tox did a classic pi55ed bid (well under the asking price) and won it.
we drove 3 hours to buy it then ummed and arred for an hour in which time the price came down quite substantially. All in all a very fair transaction even with van hire and petrol costs. My next vehicle will be a van, gotta be easier than hiring.

Money laundering??

Honestly, so soon, that machine is surely never worth that money...?

I had my friend there in reception with a van outside and cash in hand at 8am this morning when they removed it from sale. The cab was still there, but they claimed it had been promised to a family member of the manager on Friday, but they hadn't removed it from sale. Go figure. I was offering a reasonable price based on condition. It needed work and the playfield was beyond filthy, but could make a nice cab with effort. I went and saw it yesterday and my mate made a round trip from Doncaster to Wembley for me, but to no avail

Last edited:
The creech epitomizes a bad sales process. In a good sale process you have order, calm, predictability.

In a bad sales process absolutely anything can happen. Feed frenzy, phone ringing off the hook, possible bargain, seller panics, probable wasted trip from Doncaster ...

True. If you don't know much about what you're selling, like that hotel selling that pin, then the latter case is more likely.

On here everyone is savvy about pins (or at least a lot more than the average person), and their relative worth. I imagine there will be people out there who bought a pin years ago, or come into possession of one, who would think "this is 20+ years old, can't be worth much now" and you end up in a situation where you have someone earnestly listing a CFTBL for sale for £400 and expecting to take less.

There might be some clueless sellers out there but, realistically, what are the chances that ...

1 they have the capability to take photographs and advertise a game online; and

2 they lack the capability to do the most rudimentary online search as to what a game might be worth; and

3 they do not smell a rat when they have received 20 emails and 50 phone calls from breathless, sweaty guys before 9am offering to collect it that day

Well, 3 is what happened in that hotel's case. Clearly whoever listed it there didn't bother to do any research at all. Maybe they couldn't be bothered, it's nothing to do with their core business, maybe whoever was tasked with listing it was completely disinterested in doing anything more than just sticking it up. "£400 sounds about right, like a games console".

I guess my point is that it is not necessarily a "bad sales process" when people list stuff for massively less than what they're worth, they might just be naive or simply unconcerned about maximising their return. They might just want it gone ASAP, they might not want to faff about with it (I sold my last car back to a dealer for probably £15k less than I perhaps could've got because I didn't have the time and couldn't be bothered to deal with private buyers tyre-kicking, etc).

Didn't mean to argue really, I don't disagree with the thrust of your point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom