What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dialed In! On the way!

I must be misguided. I understand that if I buy a second hand game on eBay it will come with faults to fix. But I would have thought that with shelling 9k on a NIB i would expect it all to work straight out of the box for many months/years to come. Without having to change the balls or adjust the parts because they haven't been assembled properly. But it must be just me.

I think it is the opinion that on spending £9K on a product it should work fine out of the box.

All the B/W games I have bought in the past have been good examples..either refurbed or gone over...sure a few things go wrong and a few things that aren't right, but I guess after 20yrs of play you expect a switch to go, or a bracket to break, or a few inserts to be slightly raised dime to the 1000's of games played so you put up with it,
I've bought 3 NIBs in the last 2yrs GBLE, STRWRSLE & D.I.LE... all have had issues somewhere along the line, out of the box all fixed now, but it's the large sum of money that you fork out and then it's still wrong.

Dave you say you have had 3 nib pins and you have moaned about them all so if you are that dissatisfied why do you keep buying them
You moaned about the gb playfield and you where sent a new one but it sat under your machine for months so it was obviously not that much of an issue you only returned it when you where going to get invoiced for it

It is good that folk can share lessons and warn others of issues (crap balls ?). But reading this thread makes the game sound like a complete disaster, is this really the case ?

Isn't this just a case of leaving them for the clear coat to properly dry (as cpr advises you to), vacuuming out some dirt, putting some decent balls in, adjusting a couple of mechs as they bed in, getting cliffys ?, making sure wires were not dislodged in transit ?

First thing If I had one I wouldn't be worried as I know Phil will sort it out. And I agree cables coming loose etc is to be expected.

I think Kev's is a disaster for sure and as he said its been dropped at some point; couriers suck!

For the three NIB machines I've had they have all had teething issues, batman had the ramp kit, TWD the bike girl flap and walker switch, ghostbusters airball deflector and a new play field! Out of the box though they all worked perfectly to begin with.

With the exception of the ghosting on ghostbusters I think they are all ok things to deal with. But on this I think what surprises me is that nobody was aware of this problem, which considering the game has been shipping for at least 3 (?) months is a surprise. By the time my GB arrived I knew I had to have an airball deflector. There isn't a huge amount of discussion on this on pinside other than a noted replace the pinballs they are crap.

Also the nature of this, play field damage is not a simple tweak to take care of - and I don't recall when hobbit arrived that this was a similar situation. I think the sad thing for me was seeing the excitement of a new game like this be slightly shadowed by things that just shouldn't happen. JJP shouldn't be putting in pinballs that they found in a flea market in New Jersey; frankly I find that part the most staggering to believe given the cost of pinballs! If the clear isn't cured they should be advising people about that in the setup. There is this view that JJP>Stern in quality and from what I can see that doesn't seem to be the case. Hope that these issues are resolved quickly. From now on though I'm going to be cleaning the play field, and replacing the balls as a matter of course on new machines.

Neil.

Moaning publicly on group does not fix your problem it just upsets the manufacturer and distributors a polite e mail to the both of the above is much more likely to resolve your problems
Phil has been on holiday and isn't going to fly back and fix your problems in person I am pretty sure phil will be on the case monday morning

I think discussing technical issues with NIBs on a forum like this is exactly the right thing to do...... ftom a buyers point if view.
Look at the recent thread on gb playfield replacement from stern. Being able to refer to forums where others raise the same concerns help the buyer convincing stern that he had a real problem and get a replacement part.
But obviously what's right for the buyers isn't necessarily right the sellers or resellers.
I am sure Phil will work to fix these problems on his return.

Yeah it's good for consumers to have open forums to discuss issues like these. It can flag common problems and help manufacturers improve things for everyone. I get why they might be sensitive about it but when you're dropping thousands you are entitled to be a little outspoken when things aren't right. In Kev's case that is just really bad luck, sure it will be quickly sorted

Moaning publicly on group does not fix your problem it just upsets the manufacturer and distributors a polite e mail to the both of the above is much more likely to resolve your problems

LOL Chris, your customer service words of wisdom always make me laugh my **** off! :) Of course posting a moan on a forum won't help but its human nature, perception is everything.

I always forget as the paying customer I should be thankful that I now have to worry about upsetting the manufacturer ;) and I always start my emails to customer service with a "you're a bunch of F'ing C's" LOL ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Right, I am back in the UK. Obviously there were some initial issues, much like any NIB pinball, with the exception of balls chewing up playfields.

I communicated with a few members with issues WHILE I WAS ON HOLIDAY, I spoke to JJP about the balls issue and they tell me they have only 3 reports of similar in over 700 games produced so far, I have added at least 4 more to that list.

It appears @newdos was most unlucky but I already offered to refund/replace his game. Note that its me who loses out here, not JJP, the shipping line or Hadfields, ME, the one who didn't touch it. There is no way JJP loaded a smashed game into a container, anyone who thinks otherwise or its a QC issue is sniffing glue. Why would they? Jack is a friend of mine, he wouldn't do that in a million years. Hadfields say they didn't of course, I don't know, I think it would have been worse damaged if it had fallen over. Those JJP play fields a fecking heavy and I have seen those playfield hangers bend before.

You all knew it would be sorted out, just sometimes takes a little patience.... like when you download the new iOS and it doesn't work....

A better way in future maybe to PDI games, but then you all have "out of the box" games but it will save all this grief, of course that will end up putting the costs up, but maybe better way of doing things. Something I will ponder.

A few comments from the group I would like to address....

I get a feeling this UK batch were all Monday morning machines.

I don't believe that to be the case....

thanks kev will check - it would appear that jersey Jack's QC is appaling !!!!

That gets my back up. I think we have had some unfortunate issues but nothing insurmountable (exception of newdos)

Was the box damaged or was this done in the factory? Very disappointing from JJP. Do you have any photos ?

Kenny, do you really think they would ship a smashed game? Like its not a bigger problem when overseas to when its in the factory?! Very disappointing from the shipping line I would say...

So for now, if you can try some new balls in the game and lets see how we get on, I will replace them of course.

Phil

Dave you say you have had 3 nib pins and you have moaned about them all so if you are that dissatisfied why do you keep buying them
You moaned about the gb playfield and you where sent a new one but it sat under your machine for months so it was obviously not that much of an issue you only returned it when you where going to get invoiced for it

Yes I have had 3 NIB games.. I buy them because I like the themes..
The GB playfield did sit in its box under the machine Chris... why... do that I could play the game as much as I liked whilst the other Clear cured in the box... I did indeed moan about the playfield because the ghosting was very bad... not something you expect from a new product especially when it is likely down to cost cutting, I have 20 year old games with NO WEAR!

I did return it when Starwars was delivered.. should I pay £££s to have the playfield shipped back up to Phil.. you saw the size & weight of the box..
The declaration in the box was $900.. I did offer to pay Phil that amount ;)..
(Lucky K didn't update my STRWARS to 0.92 code otherwise could have used the node boards on the old GB playfield!)

As far as moaning.. I'm giving feedback and posting pictures to others to maybe help them tweak/fix the game.
I can see that you are jumping to defend Jack/Phil because the posts could be seen to be negative and could affect Sales of JJP & PH.

End of the day Phil's aftersales is legendary, and yeah after a bit of tweaking my D.I is playing well.
I'm sure JJP will look into the QA on certain things and fix them before future machines go out.. which is all I want to see, so JJP is not spending ££££s replacing playfields, Ramps, trapdoors etc.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is having a go at Phil!

but Phil I have seen manufacturers ship broken stuff in the hope that it offloads the cost of fixing it to not them, not saying JJP would do this as a policy, but occasionally an employee screws up and doesn't want to come clean... its very rough you have to pick this up. @newdos was the package sensor on your box or not?

Cheers,
Neil

Welcome back from your holiday Phil. I hope you enjoyed it!

My DI had a trap door which stopped working after a few games - a common problem which is fixed with a spot of grease - and a trap door flap that didn't lie flat - again an easy fix with a couple of washers. The ball also stuck on the skill shot switch, which I think was because of a sharp spur on the end of the actuator wire which I filed off in a couple of seconds with my wife's nail file. And dodgy balls, which I have replaced. Hopefully there is nothing on the playfield which is actually damaging the balls. Just checked the new ones after a dozen or so plays and they seem fine.

So all in all some tiny snags on an incredibly complex machine, and nothing like the faults I have had on my BNIB Stern Metallica which had a faulty light board and a faulty ball auto-launcher, both of which needed replacing.

In a couple of days I hope I will have forgotten the first day snags and will continue to enjoy this flucking amazingly fun game. Anyone in the area is welcome to come by and have a go!

I don't think anyone is having a go at Phil!

but Phil I have seen manufacturers ship broken stuff in the hope that it offloads the cost of fixing it to not them, not saying JJP would do this as a policy, but occasionally an employee screws up and doesn't want to come clean... its very rough you have to pick this up. @newdos was the package sensor on your box or not?

Cheers,
Neil
Yes Neil I said in an earlier post the package sensor was there but only one blue one which indicated if it had been tilted(pardon the pun) and it was fine. This machine has clearly been dropped heavily on its ass to cause the damage that has been done. I'm sure as soon as Phil get's it back he will see exactly how this has occurred and it may help him in fingering who was responsible.

Got say in defence of Phil and agreeing with Dave, no one here is having a go at Phil, this is just a forum to share experiences and to get things fix/improved for the next people to purchase these machines.

Phil has been straight on the case, even though he was on holiday at the time, and is going to uplift the machine, fully repair it, ship it back to me and loan me it until I can get a new one sometime in the new year. Which I think is pretty damn good service.

Please keep all the comments coming about the issues people are encountering though, as this will help everyone sort out minor issues and especially me, as I will be the last one to get one now, and I'm sure it will need some tweaks !!!

At least though it might now come with the new code pre-installed as well - every cloud and all that lol !!!

Cheers

Kev

Just for everyone's benefit and particularily you @philpalmer , here is the pic of the tip n tell on my box. This is the only one on there - is this just the guide and the actual real one is missing ????

Let me know guys

Cheers

Kev

IMG_2607[1].JPG

It should have another sticker uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171104_51863fc710bc7c01417439be6e584e4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't often post on here but Phil only gives top notch service and sounds like Kev Newdos has been sorted out first class not only having the machine fixed and then return but also he be getting a new one in the New Year that's great service. Sorry that you had a bad luck Kev but hopefully all the minor issue will be fixed when yo get your new one. Happy Days coming soon

Ahh..mine was missing the red sticker too, just had the guide which I thought was the actual magic sticker.

Pointing out issues discovered is in everyones interest, Especially the USB cable I shared which helped Dave, and the warning to check your balls and playfield.

Phil has been great throughout, even with my many messages to him. I really didn't expect him to reply to the first one, being on holiday and even advised him to go off the grid until he gets back but he continued to reply and re-assure that any issues will be sorted.

Nope it is deffo not there. I will take another pic of the box if you want @philpalmer as it is outside now ready to go to skip. It does look like possibly 2 places where something has been torn off

Cheers

kev

Ahh..mine was missing the red sticker too, just had the guide which I thought was the actual magic sticker.

Pointing out issues discovered is in everyones interest, Especially the USB cable I shared which helped Dave, and the warning to check your balls and playfield.

Phil has been great throughout, even with my many messages to him. I really didn't expect him to reply to the first one, being on holiday and even advised him to go off the grid until he gets back but he continued to reply and re-assure that any issues will be sorted.
thanks Kevlar - are we smelling a rat here ????

Just for everyone's benefit and particularily you @philpalmer , here is the pic of the tip n tell on my box. This is the only one on there - is this just the guide and the actual real one is missing ????

Let me know guys

Cheers

Kev

View attachment 54046

This is exactly how mine was too (sticker no sensor), just been and checked, it appears that something was above the sticker but has been pulled off (before it got to me as I noticed the sticker straight away but didn't realised there was supposed to be a sensor)

Right, I am back in the UK. Obviously there were some initial issues, much like any NIB pinball, with the exception of balls chewing up playfields.

I communicated with a few members with issues WHILE I WAS ON HOLIDAY, I spoke to JJP about the balls issue and they tell me they have only 3 reports of similar in over 700 games produced so far, I have added at least 4 more to that list.

It appears @newdos was most unlucky but I already offered to refund/replace his game. Note that its me who loses out here, not JJP, the shipping line or Hadfields, ME, the one who didn't touch it. There is no way JJP loaded a smashed game into a container, anyone who thinks otherwise or its a QC issue is sniffing glue. Why would they? Jack is a friend of mine, he wouldn't do that in a million years. Hadfields say they didn't of course, I don't know, I think it would have been worse damaged if it had fallen over. Those JJP play fields a fecking heavy and I have seen those playfield hangers bend before.

You all knew it would be sorted out, just sometimes takes a little patience.... like when you download the new iOS and it doesn't work....

A better way in future maybe to PDI games, but then you all have "out of the box" games but it will save all this grief, of course that will end up putting the costs up, but maybe better way of doing things. Something I will ponder.

A few comments from the group I would like to address....

I don't believe that to be the case....

That gets my back up. I think we have had some unfortunate issues but nothing insurmountable (exception of newdos)

Kenny, do you really think they would ship a smashed game? Like its not a bigger problem when overseas to when its in the factory?! Very disappointing from the shipping line I would say...

So for now, if you can try some new balls in the game and lets see how we get on, I will replace them of course.

Phil
Phil - re your comment against mine there - not sure if you got the wrong end of the stick - I certainly wasn't referring to the damage to my machine being a QC issue - it was about other peoples comments that magnets cores were either sticking up above, or below the playfield. If that's not a QC issue I dont what is. And as it happens mine had a core 2mm below the mylar - that wouldn't of lasted long, so I do think my comment is justified.

just saying:thumbs:

cheers

kev

Back
Top Bottom