What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dialed In! On the way!

Just got back home, and decided to check what Kev was saying.

Opened up backbox, pulled monitor and straight away saw this
IMG_9592.JPG
Wires are VERY tight, had to pull the 2 connectors to the left of the loose one.
Pulled wires through to try and get the USB port back in, pretty fiddly.
Updated successfully! - Kev I know your phone isn't working, try again to reseat the USB connectors, push them right in. Mine kept springing out as wires tightly pulled.

People asking about the trap door.
Take a look down left loop, if your trapdoor is closed but still raised about 5mm it needs attention as reports of the black flap being snapped off.
First I pulled the playfield out, put my hand down the left side, and bent the trapdoor down slightly, this worked a little, only 3mm left! After fiddling around I decided that the bracket that holds the mechanism was either not positioned right, or slightly out on the bend of the bracket, this allows the plunger arm on the coil to push against the arm which pushes up the trap door.

I solved this by undoing the 3 screws that hold the bracket in, putting two washers under the bottom hole which increases gap between Mech and playfield. Retightened top hole, middle screwed back in but not tight. Trap door flush to playfield, opens and closes like a champ!

Next observation- Balls!

Looked at my playfield, no deep scratches but a few light ones, looking at the playfield from a low angle I have what look like dashes in the clear.

Pulled the balls out..,:eek: balls have chips/gauges out of them, one of them I could fit the tip of my fingernail in! Imagine this rolling around at 60mph!
I'm sure that the edge of the gauge is what has created the dashes, with small thin slivers of clear showing at the flippers.. kind of like a cheese grater effect.
Pulled balls and will monitor them over a next few games.
My scoop protector is flush, doesn't look too bad again will monitor

That's exactly how my USB extension cable was Dave, glad you fixed yours too. Have a look at the bottom of the cross/lock ramp. I had a quick glance at mine before I left for work, there's a vertical steel flap leading to the ramp protector that's a 1/4" away from the steel guide on mine ( to the right of the sim card hole ), could this be another point of ball damage?

Was the box damaged or was this done in the factory? Very disappointing from JJP. Do you have any photos ?
box looked fine - it looks to me as if it was dropped square on its back end to do the damage it has.

Here's a couple - backbox knackered and playfiled supports bent so bad the ball plunger wont reach the ball to launch it !!!

IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG

Has the back bottom of the cabinet got damage? It's like the cabinet had force to the back, pushing the hinges up as to snap the bottom of the backbox and the playfield latches at the front to be pushed forward, was it your cabinet on the bottom front edge under coin door to have a crack in it? If it was, it was likely the playfield held the lock bar plate in which helped the cabinet stay together when it was dropped

Sorry to see that Kev - real ****ter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

just to reiterate what others have said regarding the balls.
I just took the balls out the game that it came with and when you fondle them... they have sharp bits on them.
Compared to a ball I just took out one of my stern which despite being in there a year is still smooth.
I have had a few scratches in my playfield after 20 games or so which I'm sure were caused by this,

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 52
Out of curiosity, I'm pretty sure on Pinside games were shipping with a sticker that shows if the game has been tilted, or maybe dropped (when they pull the tab out!)
IMG_9594.PNG
Mine didn't have one at all.. considering shipping across the world on ships and loading off loading then reloading and delivering shouldntbwevhabe one!?

Very much so. Thats appalling. My TWD came from the factory with one of the brackets that hold the lockbar ripped out of the cabinet. I let it go as I can probably repair it. This is in another league altogether.

Been doing some tweaking and theres signs of scratches just like evryone else. I can tell this clear isn't fully hardened.
Novus 2 got them out and where ive polished the rag slides easily elsewhere it drags.

How long does clearcoat take to harden? My machine was born on 26th Sept so the playfield is older than that.

Same here 2nd Oct..

If Mirco makes the PF's in Germany and then ships them to JJP, surely it's more than a couple weeks?

Are the playfields stamped with the day they were assembled? Not made?

I really haven't looked hard at mine - but it mostly seems fine. Only 20-30 games in, I'll give it a bash this w/end. had a super busy week.

It is good that folk can share lessons and warn others of issues (crap balls ?). But reading this thread makes the game sound like a complete disaster, is this really the case ?

Don't all new Pinballs have teething issues ? Didn't brand new Bally Williams games also have teething problems back in the day ?

For example my scared stiff coffin had been smacking against the playfield glass for about 20 years. The glass was scored in all 4 relevant places. So I put spacers in to lower it a couple of mm.

How long did Bally Williams leave the clear coat to dry before shipping games? Cpr rushes them out. Presumably jjp is doing so too as it needs the cash flow.

Isn't this just a case of leaving them for the clear coat to properly dry (as cpr advises you to), vacuuming out some dirt, putting some decent balls in, adjusting a couple of mechs as they bed in, getting cliffys ?, making sure wires were not dislodged in transit ?

One of these DI things was at the Manchester expo. It had been in commercial use for months at Tilt. It was undoubtedly the most played game at the expo and had a permanent queue of eager folk waiting to play it. Most folk praise jjp build quality. It played alright as far as I was concerned. The playfield did not look shredded ....

Last edited:
I think it is the opinion that on spending £9K on a product it should work fine out of the box.

All the B/W games I have bought in the past have been good examples..either refurbed or gone over...sure a few things go wrong and a few things that aren't right, but I guess after 20yrs of play you expect a switch to go, or a bracket to break, or a few inserts to be slightly raised dime to the 1000's of games played so you put up with it,
I've bought 3 NIBs in the last 2yrs GBLE, STRWRSLE & D.I.LE... all have had issues somewhere along the line, out of the box all fixed now, but it's the large sum of money that you fork out and then it's still wrong.

Pinball's are also hand made..
if a product was hand made it used to stand for quality and assurance that a product was going to last.
I also think that it's been bad luck with the games, how many people in our group who have DI have feedback, think it's 5 or 6 of us with a few issues.. a lot the same, trap door, USB loose, balls chipped.
The same things are happening on Pinside, so I would hope that JJP goes to those areas of assembly and shows staff how to check that things are right.

I did drop jack an email, pointing him in the direction of this thread, with maybe what he could feedback to his QA team..

don't know how many games are quality inspected after they come off the line? I remember seeing a video of Pat Lawlor trawling a line of TAFs all up on legs, speaking to testers and looking at games.. wonder if that still goes on?

Back
Top Bottom