What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Another Addams Restoration

For the cost, get new pop bodies, you’ll regret reusing the old ones long term

For the cost, get new pop bodies, you’ll regret reusing the old ones long term
I got new ones but they fit loose against the plug that goes into the body. Old ones show no wear so will just treat them in the ultra sonic

Addams was up at the workshop today.

Had a bit of a nightmare with a seized hinge bolt 🔩.

Eventually had to resort to cutting the head off.

PXL_20220916_110152875.jpg

Usual affair of sanding, wood filling, sanding again and paint priming.

PXL_20220916_133347142.jpg

PXL_20220916_133350557.jpg

PXL_20220916_133352510.jpg

PXL_20220916_133355648.jpg

PXL_20220916_133359414.jpg

PXL_20220916_135807308.jpg

Addams has been left to dry, will apply the decals tomorrow.

PXL_20220916_145453500.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220916_133357104.jpg
    PXL_20220916_133357104.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 15
Unfortunately had to delay putting on the decals.

Spent the day re-sanding the cab.

Also used the opportunity to re-sand and paint the interior due to the damaged bolt having to be cut out.

PXL_20220918_142140351.jpg

PXL_20220918_170745300.jpg

You arent leaving the old decals on are you fella?
It's funny you say that as both Judge Dredd and BSD before it had the original artwork left in place. Maybe it's because they were silk screened but we had zero issues leaving visible artwork on the cab and laying over with the new decals.

Addams feels like a normal decal so looks like I'll be getting out the heat gun tomorrow...

It's funny you say that as both Judge Dredd and BSD before it had the original artwork left in place. Maybe it's because they were silk screened but we had zero issues leaving visible artwork on the cab and laying over with the new decals.

Addams feels like a normal decal so looks like I'll be getting out the heat gun tomorrow...
2 hours I had my white water decals removed, the bloody glue took the same amount of time to clean off.
loads marks I hadn’t noticed and would of missed if I didn’t . You’ve come this far and let’s face it the TAF deserves the best.

2 hours I had my white water decals removed, the bloody glue took the same amount of time to clean off.
loads marks I hadn’t noticed and would of missed if I didn’t . You’ve come this far and let’s face it the TAF deserves the best.
Yeah don't worry it'll look great.

I'll update tomorrow.

Addams feels like a normal decal so looks like I'll be getting out the heat gun tomorrow..
Addams would be Silk Screened decals as well. You can tell with how they look now after you have sanded them. The white areas you see is the base of the decal.

Had they need normal cheap decals, the sander would have completely taken it off.

Heat gun is the beat route imo 👍🏻

Last edited:
Looking so much better mate. I’d do one final check to make sure you’ve filled all the damage. That way there will be no regrets when applying the decals.

Some modest progress today. All screws removed from old playfield.

Labelled up some more parts.

Migrated the PCB's and some of the flipper mech etc. Gave things a clean during migration.

Packed up all the VUKs for welding.

PXL_20220921_101120850.jpg

PXL_20220921_101130690.jpg

PXL_20220921_153728615.jpg

PXL_20220921_153728615.jpg

PXL_20220921_153731782.jpg

PXL_20220921_165529840.jpg

PXL_20220921_195002942.jpg

PXL_20220921_195010140.jpg

When I do a playfield swap I move the harness over in the 3 parts. First of all I bring the lighting over, then the coils and finally the switches. I guess we have our own way of doing things.

I noticed on the chicago gaming remakes they actually fold the front decals about 10mm around the corners. But then they do have lovely cabs to start with that have slightly rounded edges. They wont sell the cabs now, had the pleasure on using one a few years ago and it was the easiest decal process ever. I have wondered about rounding off the corners and trying it, you can also go around the back edge if doing that method.

Depends if you want to keep it traditional. Hard to work out what is the best option.

All coming together nicely.

Are you using the colordmd LCD display (as you can get rid of the thing board then)?

So what is the next one???????? Tou will get bored when this is finished.

I noticed on the chicago gaming remakes they actually fold the front decals about 10mm around the corners. But then they do have lovely cabs to start with that have slightly rounded edges. They wont sell the cabs now, had the pleasure on using one a few years ago and it was the easiest decal process ever. I have wondered about rounding off the corners and trying it, you can also go around the back edge if doing that method.

Depends if you want to keep it traditional. Hard to work out what is the best option.

All coming together nicely.

Are you using the colordmd LCD display (as you can get rid of the thing board then)?

So what is the next one???????? Tou will get bored when this is finished.

Alien Pinball Brothers did there decals right up to the edge and mine had some peeling around the lock bar area as a result.

I much prefer cutting it back to stop any fraying. These decals were quite expensive and thick (same material used for art blades) 120 Microns. Harder to cut but definitely a lot better for me as they do a great job of dealing with any 'unseen' imperfections I may have potentially missed.

Gives a nice flat finish.

I've still got to strip down BSD, polish and clean everything.

Playfield for Addams still needs the harness moving across.

Metal work is with Ant as the mech were completely shot. All the weld joints were completely gone. Once I get those back I can begin re-assembly.

LOTR is next as Holly wants to re-design the playfield and cabinet art. I'm already speaking to my guy in Australia to get things sorted.

Newer ColorDMD LCD panels don't have the connector anymore to hook up the lamp matrix for the THING area. Annoying really, so instead I need to raise the LCD higher and keep the lamp board in place.

Newer ColorDMD LCD panels don't have the connector anymore to hook up the lamp matrix for the THING area. Annoying really, so instead I need to raise the LCD higher and keep the lamp board in place.
Some time ago on here a group buy for the thing lamp board in LEDS, it's much slimmer and fits under the colour DMD.

Finished up the back leg protectors.

Moved onto putting in the posts into the playfield.

PXL_20220928_184438199.jpg

Once again I find none of the holes are drilled out to any decent size, they are literally all over the shop.

Had to re-drill practically (like 95%) of the holes. Took all evening but now all posts are complete.

PXL_20220928_210002250.jpg

Harness is ready for transport but I'll wait until the VUKs are repaired to proceed.

PXL_20220928_205955016.jpg

PXL_20220928_210011371.jpg

Personally I wouldnt call Pinball brothers a good manufacturer. The best made games today are CGC. Sterns are made really to be robust but I see a load of decals out of skew on sterns….. anyway I digress.

Was unaware that color dmds were not compatible now. I wasnt sure if it was read via the dot matrix data with newer firmware.

Not fitted an lcd colordmd for ages.

I may be asking for Hollys help with my retheme.

Another daft project.

Who did the dracula coin door and apron by the way. They are amazing!!!!

Personally I wouldnt call Pinball brothers a good manufacturer. The best made games today are CGC. Sterns are made really to be robust but I see a load of decals out of skew on sterns….. anyway I digress.

Was unaware that color dmds were not compatible now. I wasnt sure if it was read via the dot matrix data with newer firmware.

Not fitted an lcd colordmd for ages.

I may be asking for Hollys help with my retheme.

Another daft project.

Who did the dracula coin door and apron by the way. They are amazing!!!!

Yeah the header on the board was removed. On the ColorDMD some cost cutting no doubt as few games use it.

So Holly designed the artwork for the coin door and apron. Then we got a guy called Jeroen to make them.

He also did the work for Ants coin door.

PM me to remind me and I'll send you his WhatsApp.

As long as you're in no major rush Holly should be able to do a commission.

She's currently busy with the playfield and plastics on LoTR as well as some Addams stuff for Ant.

Back
Top Bottom