What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Williams Hurricane

No surprise that the new MPU did the trick.

The DMD issue should be an easy fix, it's typical oxidisation of the connector pins, reset both ends of the ribbon cable a few times to remove (DMD driver board and the DMD PCB) and you'll have a good image on the DMD.

First job in the morning! 👍

Yeah, that wheel play almost doesn't matter there, because the wheels only ever turn in one direction, and at a constant rate. That being said, it's so much that the belt could almost risk capsizing.
Agreed. I don't think it will matter given single direction.. it's a bitch to get to mind.

IMG_20201027_214555_101.jpg

Scary clown dude..

IMG_20201027_213702.jpg

Couple of the posts are brittle and cracked, rest are good.

This is the only plastic that's damaged beyond any economical repair. Plus, I don't have the other bit!

Will need to find a replacement.

IMG_20201027_210350.jpg

Snapped off its post so easy repair. The sticker might be harder to find? 🧐

I also noticed that the yellow triangle insert in the foreground is raised by a mil or so at the front edge. Maybe won't matter as the balls gone by the time it gets to the lip.

Christ, I hope I can get this back together. I've taken so so many pictures! Fingers crossed..

Reactions: cNp
It's great to see a Hurricane getting all this love. Every machine that can be saved SHOULD be saved.
Well done you.
The game seems to get a lot of hate! I've never really played it much, the only real reason for doing all this is because it was going to die a slow painful damp death... And I took it on as I learned so much on my last pin and that was early 90s Williams, so I felt I knew a bit more about it than any other pins..

I just like cleaning stuff I think.. 😬

Lots of shiny screws this evening and getting things back onto the playfield.

IMG_20201028_204427.jpgIMG_20201028_204540.jpg

I managed to shine up and get the left side posts on. 🙂
IMG_20201028_210515.jpg

IMG_20201028_202425.jpg

I wonder if there is another Hurricane owner who can help me.

On this machine, the left sling has a metal post, that's a bit shorter than the red post near by. I wonder if it's meant to be a metal post or a plastic one? Piccie below...

IMG_20201028_203650.jpg

Not a very good shot really. The metal post is above the sling mechanism. I'll go and look around the web.

IMG_20201028_190644.jpg

Removed some Mylar in a couple of places, put some flour on the glue and then used some ethanol I have for cleaning resin (Axminster tools) off saw blades and router bits etc. Worked brilliantly. The same process as other use, flour plus 91% alcohol...
IMG_20201028_190758.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_193103.jpg
    IMG_20201028_193103.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
I've a couple of those same metal posts on my HMM where it looks like a regular star post may have been... could be fixed by the same person at some point in the past and metal posts put in?

So wonderful to see a Hurricane getting another chance at life... For some reason less desirable games like this always get skipped, excellent work so far mate, looking forward to seeing the end result!

So wonderful to see a Hurricane getting another chance at life... For some reason less desirable games like this always get skipped, excellent work so far mate, looking forward to seeing the end result!
It's a ton of effort, and I think people that don't get enjoyment out of the process of restoration-slash-resurrections for it's own sake, won't bother doing the work on games that don't come with a big price tag. It feels like there's many more of those people (I call them the 'chronologically, storage-logistically and fiscally sensible' types) than there are of us, who would restore almost any game on the planet if we happened on them.

Stripped one about a year or so ago....cannot remember off hand ...not sure if any of these pictures will help?
Great fun game hurricane! Only danger is trying to get that Ferris wheel tune out of your head!!......
Here is the for sale thread......K.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/williams-hurricane.44998/
Thanks for this. I'd given this a good read through while consuming as much Hurricane content as possible! 🙂 It's my inspiration!

You really got those colours going, similar to the TNT video with the purple PALACE 👍 really love it.

I've got about 20 bulbs out, maybe I just go to LEDs and be done with it.. I'm trying so hard not to spend too much on it, as everyone keeps telling me, it's not worth it!!

It's a ton of effort, and I think people that don't get enjoyment out of the process of restoration-slash-resurrections for it's own sake, won't bother doing the work on games that don't come with a big price tag. It feels like there's many more of those people (I call them the 'chronologically, storage-logistically and fiscally sensible' types) than there are of us, who would restore almost any game on the planet if we happened on them.
Seeing two knackered pins in that barn... Couldn't not take them. 👍

Started to get a little worried that I would forget what went where and so I started putting stuff back on the PF. Gave it some wax before hand.

IMG_20201028_220123.jpg
This gives.me the heebeejeebees

I took off the apron, locking mech and ball return assembly to give it all a clean up and get rid of some rust.

IMG_20201029_220314.jpg

IMG_20201029_140705.jpg
IMG_20201029_213423.jpg

IMG_20201029_095650.jpg
I've noticed 2 inserts are raised up, so I need to look at how these get pushed down.

IMG_20201029_215104.jpg

I don't want to polish any more screw heads and metal posts... Ha

IMG_20201029_213408.jpg

I see this every day, Mylar over Mylar right in the middle.. it's all I can do to stop myself peeling it every single day!

IMG_20201029_213404.jpg

You can see it overlapping on the words Play It

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_213402.jpg
    IMG_20201029_213402.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 6
I've noticed 2 inserts are raised up, so I need to look at how these get pushed down.
Heat up from underneath with a hairdryer and then use a block of wood bigger than the insert and hammer flat from the top side. Once it's level, superglue it in place from underneath :thumbs:

Heat up from underneath with a hairdryer and then use a block of wood bigger than the insert and hammer flat from the top side. Once it's level, superglue it in place from underneath :thumbs:
I'll give it a go after lunch, I'll need to smuggle a hairdryer out to the shed!
#lockdownrestore 🙂

I'll give it a go after lunch, I'll need to smuggle a hairdryer out to the shed!
#lockdownrestore 🙂
IMG_20201030_165956.jpg

EDIT: on closer inspection with magnifying glass, the recess lip was extra glue I think, so warming and tapping it down worked a treat. 👍 Thanks @ronsplooter

So.... I'm not sure the warm and nudge technique is going to work on this particular insert. It looks like the insert rests on a lip in the wood recess. So if nudged down, wouldn't go anywhere as it's pressed again it's recessed lip..

Which is odd, as it's definately proud of the PF top but looks to have no where to go if pressed down..

Last edited:
Lots of shiny screws this evening and getting things back onto the playfield.

View attachment 123463View attachment 123464

I managed to shine up and get the left side posts on. [emoji846]
View attachment 123465

View attachment 123466

I wonder if there is another Hurricane owner who can help me.

On this machine, the left sling has a metal post, that's a bit shorter than the red post near by. I wonder if it's meant to be a metal post or a plastic one? Piccie below...

View attachment 123467

Not a very good shot really. The metal post is above the sling mechanism. I'll go and look around the web.

View attachment 123469

Removed some Mylar in a couple of places, put some flour on the glue and then used some ethanol I have for cleaning resin (Axminster tools) off saw blades and router bits etc. Worked brilliantly. The same process as other use, flour plus 91% alcohol...
View attachment 123470
Mine seems to have mainly star posts - and the post you ask about is blue plastic! Happy to contribute comparison pics but unsure how original mine was when I got it.. Sorry for obscure picture between ramp and rail :)32bc7f275f211a76d471dcd6dc6abcfe.jpg

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Mine seems to have mainly star posts - and the post you ask about is blue plastic! Happy to contribute comparison pics but unsure how original mine was when I got it.. Sorry for obscure picture between ramp and rail :)32bc7f275f211a76d471dcd6dc6abcfe.jpg

Definitely same drive on fixing machines up - all these machines need TLC - and I find it absolutely rewarding whatever the title..

That's the piece for sure.. I think . Ha

Left side is all red.. right side all blue.. as.far.as I can tell tho...

IMG_20201030_171459.jpg

And then after.
IMG_20201030_173445.jpg

Taking all the light boards off and giving them a clean. Isoprop at 91% and a bit of contact cleaner.

The more I do, the more I know I'm going to do what I said I wouldn't do and buy LEDs.. 🙂😱 but first I want to see it as it was from the factory...
IMG_20201030_174733.jpg

Few spots where the holes have failed in the wood and the light boards have been moved over slightly. Might as well fill them and put them back where they ought to be I think. Push a bit more light if they are in the middle. Plus...OCD

Last edited:
Definitely same drive on fixing machines up - all these machines need TLC - and I find it absolutely rewarding whatever the title..

Yup, I'm really enjoying fixing it up. It's not in bad condition so I think I got it easy. 🙂

It's a serendipitous journey of restoration as I come across new pieces that I can sort out.

Wasn't planning on doing much with the metal work, as I am conscious that new paint versus old artwork might jar.

But it got the better of me, so I rubbed down the hinges and popped the bolts into some light acid, quick watery wash and then gave them some Isoprop and a coat of black spray.
IMG_20201031_143325.jpg

IMG_20201101_095108.jpg

I also decided to make the speaker and DMD section slightly easier to remove and added a small connector, the whole thing can be removed now with 3 connectors.

IMG_20201101_093710.jpg

Looking into the lighting, I've discovered that the manual calls for lighting in the pop bumpers, yet this Hurricane doesn't have any wiring or lamp holders for it. I wonder if some went out with no bumper lights.. seems odd.

IMG_20201101_130122.jpg

IMG_20201101_130126.jpg

At least, I don't recall removing any lighting and I can't find any in the giant beer pong of part cups.

IMG_20201030_191311_706.jpg

Few other bits popped back onto the PF, but got distracted with hinges and brackets and black trim clean up. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_095113.jpg
    IMG_20201101_095113.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 8
It's a serendipitous journey of restoration as I come across new pieces that I can sort out.

Wasn't planning on doing much with the metal work, as I am conscious that new paint versus old artwork might jar.

But it got the better of me, so I rubbed down the hinges and popped the bolts into some light acid, quick watery wash and then gave them some Isoprop and a coat of black spray.
View attachment 123855

View attachment 123856

I also decided to make the speaker and DMD section slightly easier to remove and added a small connector, the whole thing can be removed now with 3 connectors.

View attachment 123899

Looking into the lighting, I've discovered that the manual calls for lighting in the pop bumpers, yet this Hurricane doesn't have any wiring or lamp holders for it. I wonder if some went out with no bumper lights.. seems odd.

View attachment 123896

View attachment 123897

At least, I don't recall removing any lighting and I can't find any in the giant beer pong of part cups.

View attachment 123900

Few other bits popped back onto the PF, but got distracted with hinges and brackets and black trim clean up. [emoji846]
From memory, I read somewhere that early machines went out with pop bumper lights, but was dropped partway through production.. Mine always had them fitted.

Good job on the restore by the way!

Last edited:
From memory, I read somewhere that early machines went out with pop bumper lights, but was dropped partway through production.. Mine always had them fitted.

Good job on the restore by the way!
Thanks Bill. I'll do some more searching. See what I can find. Schematics might show the wiring so maybe I can add them to this one.

https://www.flippers.be/hurricane_poplamps.html

that was easy!

IMG_20201101_151257.jpg

Popped the speaker and DMD out for a clean up. The rim inside the glass is meant to be black, but it's blotchy and brown. So it's getting a fresh coat of Matt black, I tend to use blackboard paint for the stuff I want really flat.

IMG_20201101_153043.jpg

Mask off with Frog tape.

IMG_20201101_153551.jpg

And the outside.

IMG_20201101_153756.jpg

Scary.

IMG_20201101_170550.jpg

A lot of work for a small change, but you do see inside that DMD window quite a bit. 🤷 Faffing!

I've painted the metal holder/support that this slots into as well, so waiting for that to dry now and I'll pop it all back together in the morning.. 👍

All in and working..

IMG_20201102_100832.jpg

What I now notice is that the backbox could do with a little touch up. l'll have a search for what others have used for that job.

IMG_20201102_102526.jpg

If you do paint these, remember to scratch a little paint away, down to metal where the GND braid touches each of the metal brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_102523.jpg
    IMG_20201102_102523.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom