What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Williams Dracula - Breathing life back into a tired machine!!

Marble Madness

Registered
I’m thinking it’s about time that I posted a shop log of my latest restoration. I’ve got to say its been great reading members restoration journey’s, I’ve enjoyed all of them and am learning so much along the way. I’ve picked up so much great knowledge and tips and hopefully this shop log will help others like me in their restorations. All feel free to add any comments or advice along the way it wouldn’t be the same without this. If anyone wants a little more info on something I’ve done just ask J
It seems Dracula’s are like buses, you don’t see any for ages and then two come along at once!! @RudeDogg1 you’re doing a fantastic job, I bow to your work and am hoping the end result doesn’t pale into insignificance against yours!! It was bought a few months ago from a certain site, yes I paid too much but before anyone comments, when you’re looking for a project and not one of the immaculate machines that are being sold on here there’s not many places you can search. Anyway onto the shop log…
This shop log will move along quite quickly as it catches up to where I am now, sadly it will then slow as it will be real time. This is my hobby when the kids (and wife) actually allow me a little time in my man cave!!
Here’s a few pictures of the machine before I start

Basically the machine itself it in OK condition, the cab is not good, the reds have lost all their colour and the backbox is as bad as I’ve seen. The paint has lifted, cracked and there’s been a very poor attempt from a previous owner to improve the look. The playfield itself is good, however the plastics have taken a lot of hammer and the usual suspects are broken.
So I’ve decided I will tackle the project in the following order
1. Cabinet restore inside and out
2. Backbox restore
3. Strip the playfield
4. Tumble all the metal
5. clean the playfield
6. clean the metal work above and below the PF
7. re-assemble the PF
8. re-install the backbox
9. put the PF back into the cab
10. reconnect all wiring
11. sort connector issues
12. TURN ON THE MACHINE & HAVE A GAME!! :rofl:

Shop logs are my favourite. Looks like you have good condition and complete starting point which you'll make better.

The cab itself looks OK, its got the usual faded red but this is particularly bad its almost white :(

Bring on the airbrush

IMG_2775.JPG

I'm gonna go the new decal route myself as the back box is chewed and the front of the cab has one of them horrible security bar things

I'm gonna go the new decal route myself as the back box is chewed and the front of the cab has one of them horrible security bar things

Hi @RudeDogg1 when I've re decalled the backbox I may have a spare set (backbox only) which could be up for grabs. I don't know for sure until I've done it but if you are interested just let me know.

@J.C.Rox you can clearcoat over decals but you need to feather spray the edges and go light coats. If you don't feather or do thick coats you end up framing the area clear coated that's unless you clearcoat the entire area.

So its onto the backbox next, and it looks like Dracula himself has taken a disliking to it :( Time has not been kind at all. Its going to be stripped back and re-decalled, its the first time I'll of re-decalled so fingers crossed

IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3194.JPG

It took a bit of elbow grease to get rid of the graphics sand, fill, sand and fill then sand and fill a little more all to get it 'smooth as a baby's bum!! :)

IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG
IMG_3331.JPG

The backbox is away now for the warning text to be printed on the back. When it returns I'll be applying the decals!!

Very nice work indeed, what did you use for paints primer and black, I was thinking on roller for the gloss black

Ronnie

Very nice work indeed, what did you use for paints primer and black, I was thinking on roller for the gloss black

Ronnie
Hi @ronnie63 thanks for the comment, if you look at the great shop log on backboxes that @Paul has done this should help. Don't use gloss black its satin that you need to use but the log really is as good as it gets when restoring a backbox.

I was waiting to pick up the screen-printed backbox from @replicas (My delay - it's been done for ages!)

Have decals - best get started over the next couple of weeks :D

I was waiting to pick up the screen-printed backbox from @replicas (My delay - it's been done for ages!)

Have decals - best get started over the next couple of weeks :D
I'll cross my fingers the cold hasn't set in yet for when you start, the rain definitely has!!!!

Back
Top Bottom