What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Whitewater

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey peeps

I could NEVER come close to @newdos restoration.
This is more of a Gaz special wipe round with a rag :p

I've taken pics from the tear down so thought I may as well stick em on here. May help someone along the way. Who knows.

So the story with this one.....
Advertised here

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/williams-whitewater-£2600-ono.28762/#post-132135

After a bit of back and forward I managed to settle a deal with m the seller.
John (the seller) was by his own admission, not an enthusiast and knew nothing expect he wanted to sell it.
All credit to him for having the noggin to signup and advertise here and give us the chance to buy it as opposed to throwing it to the wolves on eBay.

So The moon and the stars aligned and Martin was able to collect and deliver on the same day, 2 days after instructing him :clap::clap::clap::clap:

It arrives on Wednesday and I go over it quickly.
Here's the faults

4x GI fuses blown so very dark!!

No topper lights (I haven't looked yet but assume they're all blown, they look a bit silver!!!)

Batteries completely dead and looking a bit leaky but not beyond the battery holder.

Absolutely ****ing minging dirty, like the dirtiest pin I've ever had!!

Balls were almost sharp they were that ****ing rusty (queue smut comments)

Turned it on and ball popper is constantly firing so assuming bad opto somewhere

Whirlpool switch doesn't register so impossible to progress game and thus constant lost mine multiball every time you shoot the whirlpool as the first switch registered is the mine.

Flippers weak and generally needs a bit of tlc.

Please note I'm not lambasting the seller. He has been very accommodating since highlighting the problems.

So as it's unplayable, thought I might as well crack on stripping it down.

Sorry about the pics, still in the iPhone :oops:
And they're a little repetitive and boring as they're for my reference. I hadn't really planned on doing a shop log but I'm bored at work so thought sod it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Whirlpool!!! More like black hole :eek:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jobs to do:

Clean everything

Shot gun al the optos. Thanks to @myPinballs ive got a slack handful of them

Rebuild flippers with new parts

Replace cracked Boulder thanks to @Mfresh

I've got some LEDs to put in the tricky to reach spots

Re rubber

New chase lights in topper

Glue the fur back on Bigfoot

Remote battery holder

I think that should be it. It should clean up nice

The cab itself is very nice and unfaded.

More to follow.

No topper lights (I haven't looked yet but assume they're all blown, they look a bit silver!!!)

Either that, or more likely some spanner replaced them with GI bulbs (6.3v) instead of the 12v they should be.... (worth remembering - dont stick 6.3V Led's in expecting them to last more than 2-3 seconds!) :D

Either that, or more likely some spanner replaced them with GI bulbs (6.3v) instead of the 12v they should be.... (worth remembering - dont stick 6.3V Led's in expecting them to last more than 2-3 seconds!) :D

Cheers Paul. I've ordered 16 fresh 194's from Andy :thumbs:

You still OK to do my ROMS mate?

Comet do 12v LEDs which I've fitted in my topper. Definitely a nicer colour but they don't fade like incandescents. The water still "flows" though. :)

Hey peeps

I could NEVER come close to @newdos restoration.
This is more of a Gaz special wipe round with a rag :p

I've taken pics from the tear down so thought I may as well stick em on here. May help someone along the way. Who knows.

So the story with this one.....
Advertised here

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/williams-whitewater-£2600-ono.28762/#post-132135

After a bit of back and forward I managed to settle a deal with m the seller.
John (the seller) was by his own admission, not an enthusiast and knew nothing expect he wanted to sell it.
All credit to him for having the noggin to signup and advertise here and give us the chance to buy it as opposed to throwing it to the wolves on eBay.

So The moon and the stars aligned and Martin was able to collect and deliver on the same day, 2 days after instructing him :clap::clap::clap::clap:

It arrives on Wednesday and I go over it quickly.
Here's the faults

4x GI fuses blown so very dark!!

Batteries completely dead and looking a bit leaky but not beyond the battery holder.

Absolutely ****ing minging dirty, like the dirtiest pin I've ever had!!

Balls were almost sharp they were that ****ing rusty (queue smut comments)

Turned it on and ball popper is constantly firing so assuming bad opto somewhere

Whirlpool switch doesn't register so impossible to progress game and thus constant lost mine multiball every time you shoot the whirlpool as the first switch registered is the mine.

Flippers weak and generally needs a bit of tlc.

Please note I'm not lambasting the seller. He has been very accommodating since highlighting the problems.

So as it's unplayable, thought I might as well crack on stripping it down.

Sorry about the pics, still in the iPhone :oops:
And they're a little repetitive and boring as they're for my reference. I hadn't really planned on doing a shop log but I'm bored at work so thought sod it.

View attachment 22306

View attachment 22307

View attachment 22308

View attachment 22309

View attachment 22310

View attachment 22311 View attachment 22312

View attachment 22313

View attachment 22314

View attachment 22315

View attachment 22316

View attachment 22317

View attachment 22318

View attachment 22319

Whirlpool!!! More like black hole :eek:
View attachment 22320

View attachment 22321

View attachment 22322

View attachment 22323

View attachment 22324

View attachment 22325

Jobs to do:

Clean everything

Shot gun al the optos. Thanks to @myPinballs ive got a slack handful of them

Rebuild flippers with new parts

Replace cracked Boulder thanks to @Mfresh

I've got some LEDs to put in the tricky to reach spots

Re rubber

New chase lights in topper

Glue the fur back on Bigfoot

Remote battery holder

I think that should be it. It should clean up nice

The cab itself is very nice and unfaded.

More to follow.
Sure you will make a cacrking job bud @Spandangler

Cheers Kev

I'll be looking for detail here people - I expect to see Bigfoots nashers brushed pearly white :D

Looks like you have the makings of a really nice game there Gaz.
A good clean and as if by magic you'll have a peachy Whitewater.
Love the original bill of sale. Needs framing next to the machine.

Last edited:
Ah i can now see the switch i was querieing at the weekend, the rear one in picture 3, close up in picture 4

Good to know i've the right one on its way...

Last edited:
Nice one Ian. Glad to have been of service :thumbs:

I must admit the ramps were so filthy and ball tracked i feared they might not clean up very well and let the game down, however they have come up a treat so far. No damage on them or very minimal cracking at the ramp entrance.

Before

image.jpeg

After

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Appreciate its teaching most of you to suck eggs but for any noobs thinking of taking the plunge, it's worth just dropping the targets and switches below the playfield so you can go nuts with the buffer. If you're adventurous then remove the pops too. I'm not that adventurous............. Just ask my wife :eek:

image.jpeg

That's all for now. Next job shotgun the optos and rebuild flippers.

Not that dirty Gaz, just average 'arcade freshness' in my view. Once you've cleaned it all and sorted those faults, you'll have a lovely game. I'd keep the lamps original myself, but change the whirlpool ones to blue glass #555's Always look nice there.

Seeing as we are talking about past whitewater costs and sales, i once listed a whitewater for sale ( maybe 8 or 9 years ago) on a certain yahoo pinball group for £800 as a project in a similar condition to this one, and with the option to buy parts to restore and got flamed regarding the prices......

I ended up restoring it myself, which was a nice fun challenge, fitted all new targets, ramps, plastic set, boulders with a full stripdown both sides and sold it to a guy in europe for £1400 if i recall correctly.

Must dig out some pictures, but here's a few for now

DSC01693.jpg DSC01694.jpg DSC01696.jpg

Blue LED's for Whirlpool, and LED the rest - Comet Led's - the ONLY problem with comet is that it can take you hours to work out which ones you need! :D

+1 for Comet LEDs. Got some in the post at the moment along with an LEDOCD board that I'm going to try out in Avatar :thumbs:

have the main UK parts suppliers got them in yet?
i'm too mean to pay postage from the US and the risk of customs and postman charges on top

Back
Top Bottom