What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Irritating noise from my Getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinSound will almost certainly bring back sound and fix it up imo, which is annoying in some ways as it won’t solve the mystery.

To be fair to @AndyB53 I don’t know how many sellers/restorers would step in and fix a pin after the new owner had been pulling chips, sticking in random replacement ones etc, but as has been said already you should not have had to even open the backbox in the first place, unless you knowingly bought a project pin which this clearly wasn’t sold as.

I’d get the board sent off to @myPinballs, get it repaired and then you can recoup some of the PinSound outlay.

PinSound will almost certainly bring back sound and fix it up imo, which is annoying in some ways as it won’t solve the mystery.

To be fair to @AndyB53 I don’t know how many sellers/restorers would step in and fix a pin after the new owner had been pulling chips, sticking in random replacement ones etc, but as has been said already you should not have had to even open the backbox in the first place, unless you knowingly bought a project pin which this clearly wasn’t sold as.

I’d get the board sent off to @myPinballs, get it repaired and then you can recoup some of the PinSound outlay.

If Pinsound does fix it in the end, I certainly want to know what was up with the board, post mortem required!

Parcel on its way with new tested working cpu and replacement ram ics. Hopefully with you tomorrow am and we will see what we get then. :)

I mean.... I haven't added the chips yet, but thank you for getting this to me overnight! Incredible.. thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_114921.jpg
    IMG_20191231_114921.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 33
@myPinballs

Shall we add these chips in a particular order so it checks which makes a difference?

Try the MC68b09ep first perhaps?

Last edited:
Does the ‘ep’ make any difference in the naming of the chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the ‘ep’ make any difference in the naming of the chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
people here will certainly know more than I. But from the reading I have done, the chip naming has to be exact..yes, the E is important, I think the P just means its plastic case...

I updated the above post for anyone in the future, so they know the exact chip :thumbs:

Last edited:
And we have sound! Only changed the MC68b09EP and it sparked into life

Both chips from eBay were therefore DOA. No ram updated yet.

Irritating sound is back! Hooray.

Thanks @myPinballs !

Good to know. As I was saying be warey of chips sold on eBay unless you know/trust the seller (like me!!)

So are you going to hold station and play it today for your New Year’s Eve party etc or up for more diagnosis /testing??

If you want to try some more things read on!

Is the test menu reporting the sound rev ok now? Probably worth swapping the ram just to rule out seeing as you have spares now and it is socketed

Next, I would try disconnecting (1 at a time) the other boards that share the big ribbon cable. Leave sound board connected. Note if anything changes in the attract mode

I don't know if I dare mess with it now, given we have 20 here tonight!

I might stick for now and pick up some diagnosis tomorrow afternoon!

But we do now get a much quicker test and reporting of the sound Vers..

I haven't put any ram in yet!

IMG_20191231_135852__01.jpg

I don't know if I dare mess with it now, given we have 20 here tonight!

I might stick for now and pick up some diagnosis tomorrow afternoon!

But we do now get a much quicker test and reporting of the sound Vers..

I haven't put any ram in yet!

View attachment 99009

Yep if you have a party in a few hours hold station for now 👍🏻 Glad we were able to get you back and running for it. Happy new year 😎😀👍🏻 🎉

A decent video of the irritating sound HERE.. On this occasion playing in the menus ... It appears that video mode setting is making it trigger, but it's not the case really. I tested again and it plays in all sorts of places...it did make me wonder if this was somehow related to the colordmd upgrade that previous owner put into it. It's on latest firmware for colordmd 4.1 (I did that to see if it would help the irritating noise, it didn't..)

I'll do some careful ribbon gymnastics tomorrow and see if its a specific board as suggested by @myPinballs

Nice to see some top diagnosis by someone who knows what he is doing not just try this or it says in pin wiki do this
Not seen any advice from Andy the UK s top pinball restorers
I believe the Andy to which you refer is on holiday at the moment. He mentioned in a previous post. I bought an Adams from him and was delighted with it. It Seem people on here like to put him down? The guy seemed ok to me

I believe the Andy to which you refer is on holiday at the moment. He mentioned in a previous post. I bought an Adams from him and was delighted with it. It Seem people on here like to put him down? The guy seemed ok to me
I'm just gonna put it out there that Andy has multiple accounts on here... Funny that you always run to his defence and offer no other input to the forum at all. I'll let everyone else do the math on that one

I'm just gonna put it out there that Andy has multiple accounts on here... Funny that you always run to his defence and offer no other input to the forum at all. I'll let everyone else do the math on that one

He has? I would be interested to know if he does. It does state in the rules that only one account per person is allowed...

He has? I would be interested to know if he does. It does state in the rules that only one account per person is allowed...

ah I never knew that I have 2 accounts Paul happy for you to close down the chris b one as I rarely use that only by mistake

WHAT!!! I know nothing about this "Andy"other than I bought an Adams Family Pinball from him in 2017 as for "no input to the forum" Either you are blind or choose not to read or mention all you see. I do not participate that much as a lot of the time I see a load of "scwabbling old women, (including the Andy chap), bitchin and arguing as if in the playground. I do not give an sh1t what you lot get up to, I am too old in the tooth to get involved and the reason I rarely comment Springing to his defence? The fact that I make a positive comment about the guy proves my point and the reason I stay silent . Calm down ladies! Oh, and no I have this one account am 58yrs old, live in Maidstone, Kent and am on the Electrol Roll if you care to check!

WHAT!!! I know nothing about this "Andy"other than I bought an Adams Family Pinball from him in 2017
When the thread is about a specific machine and the problematic condition it's in, bringing up a game bought 2 - 3 years ago doesn't really seem very relevant or helpful. Oh and not many people use "double quotes" like you do .... 🤔

Also, I'm beginning to think I should change my name in case I'm tarred with the Andy brush! :eek:

When the thread is about a specific machine and the problematic condition it's in, bringing up a game bought 2 - 3 years ago doesn't really seem very relevant or helpful. Oh and not many people use "double quotes" like you do .... 🤔

Also, I'm beginning to think I should change my name in case I'm tarred with the Andy brush! :eek:
I know what you mean however my first name is not Andy and I was only replying to someone who was suggesting I was in some way connected with this Andy bloke. People seem to put him down on here and because I made a simple comment about a machine he sold 2 years ago, I am apparently in some way colluding with him You girls can all go a scratch your eyes out for all I care, I am not interested! Ps: the use of quotation marks is just good english when quoting someone else!

Despite what you think, we do pay attention to your posts, and more than one person has noted that this is now the third time you have rushed to his defence in very similar circumstances. That's going the raise some alerts.

I'd advise you to reread the thread in full and then work out whether you really want to be throwing your support beind someone who is at best duplicitous and at worst a fully fledged conman.

If you decide to support people like that don't be surprised when you're tarred with the same brush.

It certainly seems plausible as both have exactly the same writing quirks and both making enquiries about parts for a project Flintstones in December.

Despite what you think, we do pay attention to your posts, and more than one person has noted that this is now the third time you have rushed to his defence in very similar circumstances. That's going the raise some alerts.

I'd advise you to reread the thread in full and then work out whether you really want to be throwing your support beind someone who is at best duplicitous and at worst a fully fledged conman.

If you decide to support people like that don't be surprised when you're tarred with the same brush.
I am neither supporting or criticizing this person. All I am saying is that he sold me a machine that I have ha no issues or problems with. Am I not supposed to tell it as it is? Then all of a sudden because of what I thought was an honest and innocent comment, I am accused of at best being in league with this person and at worst, I am he in some other guise?? (lol). On the actual subject of the thread I does seem there is something amiss however it do also appear the the person who bought the machine seem to like messing around and on his own admission is not really understanding what he is doing. As others have already said, he should concentrate on one thing at a time and I cannot help but think he is or has caused some or most of these apparent problems himself. for example the says he pulled out the chips on the CPU etc? Did he not previously say the CPU was new? Did he not play and check out the machine before handing over cash??

I am neither supporting or criticizing this person. All I am saying is that he sold me a machine that I have ha no issues or problems with. Am I not supposed to tell it as it is? Then all of a sudden because of what I thought was an honest and innocent comment, I am accused of at best being in league with this person and at worst, I am he in some other guise?? (lol). On the actual subject of the thread I does seem there is something amiss however it do also appear the the person who bought the machine seem to like messing around and on his own admission is not really understanding what he is doing. As others have already said, he should concentrate on one thing at a time and I cannot help but think he is or has caused some or most of these apparent problems himself. for example the says he pulled out the chips on the CPU etc? Did he not previously say the CPU was new? Did he not play and check out the machine before handing over cash??

Dude your writing style is identical. You also use ?? alot.

The second profile appeared on 22nd June because Andy wasn't getting a response to a machine he wanted to buy (Roadshow I think). So now a queue of irritated potential buyers was forming and the seller should therefore reply to at least one of the two profiles. That's my best guess behind the logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom