What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Irritating noise from my Getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s be clear here - which chips are you messing with? The CPU board is different to the sound board. You should not be touching anything on the CPU (MPU) board (the one on the left of the backbox)
Not touching that cpu board at all.

Good good. Don’t touch any other board :)

The chips you bought - they were programmed for Getaway I assume? (dumb question but need to ask)

Also I would assume, but am not certain, that the sound chips would need to match the ROM version (L-5 in your case)

Not specially programmed for Getaway, I understood it to be a standard Williams chip, (MC68B09EP) I don't think it's game specific, but I could be wrong (obviously!)

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_111851.jpg
    IMG_20191230_111851.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 34
Not specially programmed for Getaway, I understood it to be a standard Williams chip, (MC68B09EP) I don't think it's game specific, but I could be wrong (obviously!)
My bad, thought you had pulled the sound chip(s).

Double and triple check all of the chip pins are in the socket holes. To my untrained eye it sortof looks like the top pins aren’t in properly?

With the greatest of respect here - I think you have fiddled around a lot with different things on this game and if I was you I would parcel up the cpu board plus the sound board and send them to @myPinballs and get it tested and fixed

At the moment people here are giving you advice and this can only go so far. It is so hard to diagnose a problem from an internet post.

If after getting the PCBs looked at by a professional, and the game still does not work - then I would suggest asking on here if there is any one local to you that would be willing to come out and help for some bribe money.

People who (like myself) who do mobile repairs are not cheap but 9 1/2 times out of 10 we will get the machines going on site, but there sometimes is a limit to what we can do board repair wise on site. I have had numerous incidents where someone gets an 'electrician friend' to have a look at a pinball before they call me, or the famous 'I looked it up online and did this, this and this and now something else has stopped working'.

This game judging by this post had issues before you bought it.

Board looks ok from the pic, though higher res would be better to check pins/orientations etc. However, someone has definitely worked on it before as the ram chip is socketed (top right) and this is normally soldered in.

With the greatest of respect here - I think you have fiddled around a lot with different things on this game and if I was you I would parcel up the cpu board plus the sound board and send them to @myPinballs and get it tested and fixed

At the moment people here are giving you advice and this can only go so far. It is so hard to diagnose a problem from an internet post.

If after getting the PCBs looked at by a professional, and the game still does not work - then I would suggest asking on here if there is any one local to you that would be willing to come out and help for some bribe money.

People who (like myself) who do mobile repairs are not cheap but 9 1/2 times out of 10 we will get the machines going on site, but there sometimes is a limit to what we can do board repair wise on site. I have had numerous incidents where someone gets an 'electrician friend' to have a look at a pinball before they call me, or the famous 'I looked it up online and did this, this and this and now something else has stopped working'.

This game judging by this post had issues before you bought it.

Yep, i'm happy to take a look at it no problem. Logic probe is next step on the bench for this sound board i would think as something is not happy, or i can send another cpu ic just to try. Press enter on the test button, just to see what is mentioned. 'Sound Board Interface Error' most likely.

Don't go disconnecting it yet until someone else can confirm, but is that ribbon on the wrong way round in the video? Red stripe should be top not bottom? Or am I clutching at straws?

No, the ribbon cable is fine. Those replacement ribbon cables have the red line at the other end. They dont fit the other way anyway. Its about making sure all 4 connectors are the same orientation which is correct in the pic

I found this youtube video of a guy with his getaway on credits. I dont hear the sound when he puts a coin in, so i'm alittle puzzled why the suggestion was made earlier on about the coin mech/credit switches etc?? (Originally i thought the sound was from the 4th gear award shots)

Also, from a small investigation on my gofers, even if a game is set on free play and a coin is dropped through a working mech, the dmd with go instantly to the press start screen, so i would have expected that to show up repeatedly on the earlier video to.

I'm still leaning to a data/address issue on any of the main boards. Not necessarily sound board.

No, the ribbon cable is fine. Those replacement ribbon cables have the red line at the other end. They dont fit the other way anyway. Its about making sure all 4 connectors are the same orientation which is correct in the pic

Triple checked, pin1 is going to pin1 on each board of the data cable.

I have taken the ribbon off , removed plugs and taken board out, pressed home the chips on a flat surface as someone suggested previously and took some pics of front and back in case this is helpful. Board is back in and acting as before, so no change 9for the worse at least!)

I also want to make myself sure that its not a speaker WIRE issue (that would be embarrassing!) but it makes that "bark" at start up, so I believe they are getting power. I could check continuity from the end of the plug incase the wire is dislodged in the plug perhaps.

At this stage, having a known working MC68B09EP might be useful. Pinsound will arrive and that will be a reasonable test of the no sound issue /soundboard I am guessing? I had hoped to fix it with this board just to know we have a working board.

The BACK of soundboard

The FRONT of soundboard

Thank you all so much for sticking with me on this, incredibly appreciated

My bad, thought you had pulled the sound chip(s).

Double and triple check all of the chip pins are in the socket holes. To my untrained eye it sortof looks like the top pins aren’t in properly?

Took the board out and pressed all the roms home. Returned to same state.

Could the cable have gone bad with being pulled up? Can that happen?

Triple checked, pin1 is going to pin1 on each board of the data cable.

I have taken the ribbon off , removed plugs and taken board out, pressed home the chips on a flat surface as someone suggested previously and took some pics of front and back in case this is helpful. Board is back in and acting as before, so no change 9for the worse at least!)

I also want to make myself sure that its not a speaker WIRE issue (that would be embarrassing!) but it makes that "bark" at start up, so I believe they are getting power. I could check continuity from the end of the plug incase the wire is dislodged in the plug perhaps.

At this stage, having a known working MC68B09EP might be useful. Pinsound will arrive and that will be a reasonable test of the no sound issue /soundboard I am guessing? I had hoped to fix it with this board just to know we have a working board.

The BACK of soundboard

The FRONT of soundboard

Thank you all so much for sticking with me on this, incredibly appreciated

No worries. We will get to the bottom of this!

Press enter on the test buttons then press plus and post a pic of what it says. On my whitewater it says this

7FF1373F-630B-4D2D-8340-A6D0C416E769.jpeg

Here we go with pics. No mention of sound rev..? Mashed the RAM with my cable "tinkering". Read THIS which sounds similar...

IMG_20191230_150651__02.jpgIMG_20191230_150649__01.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go with pics. No mention of sound rev..? Mashed the RAM with my cable "tinkering". Read THIS which sounds similar...

View attachment 98987View attachment 98988

Nice find . Does sound like the same and the ram has been changed already to. Hmmmmm

Want me to send you another ram at the same time? Though could be an issue with pads or traces when a previous repair was attempted

Nice find . Does sound like the same and the ram has been changed already to. Hmmmmm

Want me to send you another ram at the same time? Though could be an issue with pads or traces when a previous repair was attempted

If you can send the RAM, we can ascertain if its that (a bit of a hit and hope situation I know), but at this point, I'm just wanting to know! :)

If its not, I'll pull the board and send for repair. If it IS the soundboard, then Pinsound should drop in without any issues, I presume. If that fails too, then....

Odd that it doesn't actually report Sound Rev on that boot sequence, like it doesn't know its there...Takes 10 seconds on start up to run test, it used to be half that time. That could be the CPU trying and getting no report from the sound...

Thanks again!

Also no expert, but are these soldering blobs (technical term) supposed to be joined?

View attachment 98989

I dont know either, but it WAS working with those like that before (ie it arrived with those solder blobs) so the "no sound now" issue, likely isnt that. I didnt touch the solder iron, I PROMISE!

If you can send the RAM, we can ascertain if its that (a bit of a hit and hope situation I know), but at this point, I'm just wanting to know! :)

If its not, I'll pull the board and send for repair. If it IS the soundboard, then Pinsound should drop in without any issues, I presume. If that fails too, then....

Odd that it doesn't actually report Sound Rev on that boot sequence, like it doesn't know its there...Takes 10 seconds on start up to run test, it used to be half that time. That could be the CPU trying and getting no report from the sound...

Thanks again!

Yes I think we are on the right track now. I was going to mention the boot /testing delay as that is a sure sign the cpu saying ‘hello sound board?’ And waiting for the sound board to reply before giving up!!

Strange the ram was changed before

I dont know either, but it WAS working with those like that before (ie it arrived with those solder blobs) so the "no sound now" issue, likely isnt that. I didnt touch the solder iron, I PROMISE!
I'm 90% sure those pins are supposed to be connected in pairs like that, pretty bad soldering though, might be worth reheating those at some point.

You legend! Could we save the new year party! Haha

Thanks again for your help, above and way beyond! Let's hope I can repay the favour some day! Or at least buy you a beer!

Last edited:
Yes those soldering 'blobs' are supposed to be joined. The work above needs reflowing as does the diodes on the other side.

My soldering isn't up to "live" (sic) boards....I don't have the eye sight, experience or the steady hand for that type of work... Know ones limits! Mine appears to be somewhere just shy of removing and replacing data cables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom