What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Irritating noise from my Getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most convenient coincidence 😂 glad you're making progress on it mate, did you manage to get it playing for your festive get together?

We did get sorted for NYE.

@myPinballs saved our party with the overnight delivery of a known working chip (the replacement for the DOA chip from eBay, which was in turn the replacement for a chip I got off a buddy before I realised they needed to be VERY specific on the number, which was a replacement for the chip I didn't need to pull out in the first place and shag the pins of)

I think we can all agree, there appears to be room next to that pinball machine.. .for a second pinball machine (And yes, I know the thermostat isn't straight, that's been pointed out already!) :0)

Last edited:

@myPinballs saved our party with the overnight delivery of a known working chip (the replacement for the DOA chip from eBay, which was in turn the replacement for a chip I got off a buddy before I realised they needed to be VERY specific on the number, which was a replacement for the chip I didn't need to pull out in the first place and shag the pins of)

I think we can all agree, there appears to be room next to that pinball machine.. .for a second pinball machine (And yes, I know the thermostat isn't straight, that's been pointed out already!) :0)

View attachment 99134
Looks great there dude, I reckon you've got room for another 5 machine in there, get rid of that sofa it's taking up valuable pinball space 😂

For the playfield a steady hand and some decent paint is needed.

I started on my Alien Star the other month:
20190920_150712.jpg

IMG-20191001-WA0005.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191001-195009_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20191001-195009_WhatsApp.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ah the old 'easy fix'.... so 'easy' that nobody has bothered. Hmmm. [emoji3]

Fixing it properly so it doesn't look even worse does not fall in the 'easy' category in my opinion. The reason why a lot of owners don't attempt it.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Clearly not something I would take on, but I did get an email back from a helpful chap in Huddersfield, but that's clearly too far to travel for a touch up!

If anyone knows of someone reputable, who can do the work closer to the South East, it would be brilliant...

I've added the before picture, I will mylar over the top when complete.

Createx paints used.

View attachment 99134

Track and Field! Classic :)

looks like a great start...do you then somehow clear coat it to secure it or Mylar perhaps to protect.
Either-or works. It depends on where it is and what you'd find most acceptable. For the touch-ups on my own game so far I've not covered them as the entire playfield is covered by an polycarbonate playfield protector, as the inserts are all raised and I haven't had the time to fix those yet, and it also saves me from having to clear-coat the playfield paintwork I've had to do.

Respect for just pulling out the power board like it’s nothing. I’ve got 3 pins and I’ve been putting off pulling out the power board for a long time on one of them, for a minor fault I know exists that annoys me, just because of the number of connectors etc.
I physically had to cut wires in order to take the head off my game, right in front of the previous owner, so I could fit it into my car... it had a number of very shoddy mods. He went a bit green and was very apologetic about selling it to me in that state - but he shouldn't have, it was a fair price and it was sold as a project game.

To be honest, with this stuff, bravery comes from making all of the mistakes before so you know what's involved in repairing a ****up, so you aren't as afraid of that anymore...

Ask Jeff at Classic Arcades to do an overlay for the damage - or google it - one may exist.

Then just mylar over it.

It is very hard to repair this kind of wear but I would personally build up layers of thin super glue to 'flatten' the area before applying decal (if one exists).

PS - I know Jeff gets a bad wrap on forums but he has always come thru for myself..... Just say Todd Tuckey at TNT recommended him :)

Repairing stuff like that is not easy.

Ask Jeff at Classic Arcades to do an overlay for the damage - or google it - one may exist.

Then just mylar over it.

It is very hard to repair this kind of wear but I would personally build up layers of thin super glue to 'flatten' the area before applying decal (if one exists).

PS - I know Jeff gets a bad wrap on forums but he has always come thru for myself..... Just say Todd Tuckey at TNT recommended him :)

Repairing stuff like that is not easy.
I'll have a look into it, thank you 👍

Can I just say that this has been an epic almost Christmas pantomime of a thread and if if Netflix want to convert it into a documentary "Don't **** with pinball" then I'm all in. (and if you haven't seen Don't **** With Cats....jesus just do it)

Can I just say that this has been an epic almost Christmas pantomime of a thread and if if Netflix want to convert it into a documentary "Don't **** with pinball" then I'm all in. (and if you haven't seen Don't **** With Cats....jesus just do it)

Second episode on the train this evening..10 mins in!

Looking forward to watching this Cary Hardy refurbishment of his Getaway...

Not impressed

My advice to this guy, bin your flipper mechs and yes all of the bits and buy all new. You're fitting a brand new playfield for chuff sake... "i may be able to keep this eos switch" jesus christ...

I was surprised at changing the coil papers to the same colour and just having the part number on it.. I thought it quite handy to visually see what's what on the under side..

@9.25, why aren't you using a punch? His lacquering job on a playfield was a bit of a horror show in one of his other videos..... a bit ham fisted but I'm not one to throw stones. I'm a bit dangerous... 😆

I was surprised at changing the coil papers to the same colour and just having the part number on it.. I thought it quite handy to visually see what's what on the under side..

half a job as always you can buy a complete coil wrap set with the correct colour and part no for $50 a complete restoration is about getting the machine as close as you can to new or better not about how much money you can save on not replacing Parts

half a job as always you can buy a complete coil wrap set with the correct colour and part no for $50 a complete restoration is about getting the machine as close as you can to new or better not about how much money you can save on not replacing Parts

I got the sense he was doing the wraps as he wanted them all red, across the whole machine..presume so as red coil is incorrect for bottom flippers. Maybe he just wants it for aesthetics..

But if you're making that huge effort, then get it changed for new, I totally agree!

Makes no sense imo to change wraps "aesthetically" to the same colour, it's just confusing even if the part numbers are correct on the wraps. Might as well change all the wiring to red too.

Very good point. There are plenty of other colour co-ordination opportunities that don't affect maintainability.

But having all of the wires the same color - jet black - would just look so aesthetically pleasing. That's the most important thing when you lift the playfield up, after all - aesthetics!

Not even the kinds of people that take their garage queen cars to shows, with engine bays so chrome, clean and gleaming you could use them to cook and serve your dinner, would go as far as to deliberately confuse people coming to make repairs...

Re. all-black wiring; vehicle alarms and immobilisers sometimes have all their wiring plain black as a security feature. But for a pinball, I wouldn't see any point to it - in fact, I'd be more inclined to add cable markers to some areas, such as solenoid wiring. Maybe fuse i.d. on the live side and transistor 'Q' number on the return.

Re. all-black wiring; vehicle alarms and immobilisers sometimes have all their wiring plain black as a security feature. But for a pinball, I wouldn't see any point to it - in fact, I'd be more inclined to add cable markers to some areas, such as solenoid wiring. Maybe fuse i.d. on the live side and transistor 'Q' number on the return.
I had my sarcasm dialled all the way up - I totally agree with you ;)
The original wire colors matching up to the manual is very useful to have...

redoing coil wraps all the same colour is just idiotic plain and simple. This You tube guy just gets on my nerves. What a clueless noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom