What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Irritating noise from my Getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyB53

Banned
Registered
Hi all. This is driving me nuts! I have now fully restored this Getaway in every respect it looks and plays like new BUT I am getting a very irritating sudden noise random noise that comes from all 3 speakers! It last less than a half a second and sounds like..... RRREEEEERRR. It even randomly does it during game play (all game-play sounds are normal) but this noise appears over them.
It is NOT a switch Matrix issue, (all switches) are in the correct state) I have changed the Capacitors and Diodes and re-flowed the solder on the sound board. Changed the Data ribbon cable but is makes no difference. The CPU is a brand new replacement and during the test mode of the Sound board, there are no faults showing. This one really has me "foxed" Any Ideas anyone??

There's a solid chance it's a dodgy sound ROM, or it's a problem in the circuit between the sound ROM and the sound board's processor. Even if it works in test mode.

EDIT: In your post over in the Machine Buy / Sell / Trade, did you have a video of it by any chance? It might help narrow it down for me.

Last edited:
There's a solid chance it's a dodgy sound ROM, or it's a problem in the circuit between the sound ROM and the sound board's processor. Even if it works in test mode.

EDIT: In your post over in the Machine Buy / Sell / Trade, did you have a video of it by any chance? It might help narrow it down for me.
I Have moved it now. There is not a lot to see or hear . I just makes a REEEEEAAAR sound last 500 milliseconds or so. Totally random and sometimes above the game sound when playing. I have changed the ROM and socket if I disconnect the Data cable it is silent, (but I would expect that anyway) It is so random that it may not do it for a day or so So for a "fault finding Engineer" like me, it is VERY annoying as you never know if you have resolved it! I have "scoped" the DC power and it is smooth and ripple free and if I fire logic pulses at the inputs, the game fires sounds as it should. I know it is on the Audio board as a different one is fine!

would be nice to get a recording of that sound or if you had another WPC game to swap the sound board into that would also help.

I Have moved it now. There is not a lot to see or hear . I just makes a REEEEEAAAR sound last 500 milliseconds or so. Totally random and sometimes above the game sound when playing. I have changed the ROM and socket if I disconnect the Data cable it is silent, (but I would expect that anyway) It is so random that it may not do it for a day or so So for a "fault finding Engineer" like me, it is VERY annoying as you never know if you have resolved it! I have "scoped" the DC power and it is smooth and ripple free and if I fire logic pulses at the inputs, the game fires sounds as it should. I know it is on the Audio board as a different one is fine!
If there is any variance at all in the sound you hear, then it is probably a duff sound RAM chip (U9). Or possibly even CPU but much less likely.

If not that... then I'd start running every data and address trace on the sound board.

If there is any variance at all in the sound you hear, then it is probably a duff sound RAM chip (U9). Or possibly even CPU but much less likely.

If not that... then I'd start running every data and address trace on the sound board.
Hi The CPU is brand new (c/o Phil P) The Ram was faulty when I got the machine so I have replaced it (on a dil socket). I have changed the 6808 on the Audio board and re-flowed the ribbon cable plug. The Damm noise is intermittent (the worst of all problems) As I type, it has not produced this noise for over an hour! When switched on it makes this noise intermittently every 10/ 20 seconds (even over the perfect gameplay sound) but as time passes the "intermittancy" periods seem to get longer. It is NOT heat related and I have had a hot air gun all over it. All capacitors and diodes have been changed and the power supply is totally constant and the scope tells me it is ripple free. I does fall silent when the data cable is disconnected (but then I guess it is receiving no addresses at all). It is almost like it is getting some form of spike on the address busses ??? It is really bugging me! little Barsteward!

Just upgrade to PinSound much better so owners say, I hated the sound on mine with the original soundboard😖
A mint machine deserves it🤩
Fix the soundboard and you could sell it.

Just upgrade to PinSound much better so owners say, I hated the sound on mine with the original soundboard😖
A mint machine deserves it🤩
Fix the soundboard and you could sell it.
Not at £280 a pop! I have a spare WPC audio board I will put it and compare signal paths with the other one.

I know, then you have to put better speakers so another £120.
I have a few and the difference is unreal especially on non DCS.
Had a few sound faults on my getaway too, was a pain but got sorted in the end.

Hi @AndyB53

Did you ever get to the bottom of this annoying continuous sound?

You see, I'm the person you sold this Getaway to, and it still continuously makes this irritating noise, its made the game pretty unpleasant to play so far.

Did you find a fix? As this is my first pin, its a pretty vertical learning curve for a fault like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

Hi there. Yes The issue I had was a very intermittent firing of the 1000 sound. but it was never a "continuous" sound as you describe. I discovered that It was heat related and eventually I found the main Data ribbon cable to be faulty. As you know It was completely fine after that and played perfectly What is happening now?

When the machine comes on and finishes the test it plays the sound effect. I'll attach a video here. It plays it over and over, stops for a while and then drops it all through the game, especially when a ball drains and it goes through the 2x bonus 4x bonus additions to your score.

It seems to subside as the game warms up but it never goes away, hence it's with you continuously as you play.

I've reseated the data cable and j502,503,504 and I've changed the mpu chip at u13, fault remains. Infact, since then f104 and f105 blow when I ever I turn on, so I've made it worse somehow..

For two fuses to go, on different circuits surprised me. High and low solenoid circuits. I've got continuity on the load side between the fuse holder f104 and f105, that's not meant to be the case.i presume?

I suspect the blowing fuses you have the ribbons on incorrectly either a line or a pin out

I had taken the ribbon cable off, to reseat it to see if that was causing the irritating sound this thread is about, so it makes sense. But I have checked it 5 times now, and then checked it again..I'll go back again this afternoon, give it another check, all the pins seem to be in place, nothing bent out of shape. I also reseated the plugs on the sound board before the fuses went. Seems most likely right??? But I have checked the s^^t out of it :) I'll check it again...

Easiest way to solve it is just swap the sound board to another game and see if it migrates with that board then you know it’s definitely the board at fault a working second hand one is relatively cheep now or get someone who knows what they are doing to repair it if you wanted to go all in then buy a pin sound I have one in my super mint getaway and it sounds awesome
It would have probably been better to mail Andy directly to ask about this as you will now get everyone putting the boot in

more thank likely on just one row of pins on the cpu or fliptronics board not both ie too high or too low
If no joy just disconnect both the top ribbons and turn the machine on and see if the fuse still blows

more thank likely on just one row of pins on the cpu or fliptronics board not both ie too high or too low
If no joy just disconnect both the top ribbons and turn the machine on and see if the fuse still blows
Honestly, this is my guess as well.

It's stupidly easy to do, and it's bloody fatal to your fuses.

So this got flogged on with a known fault when a replacement sound board fixed it properly? :rolleyes:

First post said “changed the Data ribbon cable but is makes no difference” but apparently that fixed it later on? Hmm.

Selling pins with known faults don’t exactly help newbies get into the hobby.
Durzel. Making "snide" , uneducated and untrue comments like yours really does not help Big Louie get his pin sorted so unless to have constructive suggestion I suggest you keep your mouth firmly shut until you KNOW what you are talking about silly boy!

I completely agree that a seller SHOULD NEVER EVER sell on anything with a known fault without letting the buyer know, This was NOT the case here. When the buyer came to see it, it was switched off so was cold, and in my Garage. It was turned on, booted first time and showed no faults at all. The machine was than shown to the buyer and then played to his full satisfaction. Now many weeks later it seems to have developed a similar problem to the ONE OF MANY the pin had when Ii started the restoration. It NEVER has blown fuses in the past so clearly this is totally different "issue". Of course you sympathies and any help I can realistically give go out the the guy but I re-iterate IT WAS FULLY TRIED TESTED AND WORKING before being dismantled and put into his vehicle On a CONSTRUCTIVE note the following may help... When this machine went through restoration It had a brand new CPU (PP supplied). It also have every single Capacitior and Bridge Rectifier replaced with upgraded type it also had the latest revision ROMS fitted to both the CPU and Audio Board. I also replaced the RAM on the audio board as initially there were no sounds at all coming from the Board The problem I had disappeared when I fitted a new data cable as there was intermittent continuity on the I/O bus between the CPU and Sound Board. I may have a replacement Board in my workshop and of course will be happy to help a fellow "Pinhead" identify the issue he clearly has by trying a swap out but 25yr old Pinball machines that were seen and tries as fully working DO NOT COME WITH LIFETIME GUARANTEES! Unless the "wise men and women of this forum are suggesting?

Chaps, my intention here is to fix this pinball..Nothing more, nothing less. I found this thread while researching "irritating noise from getaway pinball". I kid you not!

I did have to laugh/shudder when I found this thread.

All help very much appreciated though, really just keen to get everyone playing pinball in my house again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom