What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't make it this year but I echo what others have said: you come to pinfest to play pinball, not to visit a hotel. And if there are people in your party who don't enjoy pinball, treat them and stay somewhere nicer. They'll be happier and so will you. Travelling between hotels is possible with something called ... taxis. Big Phil has done the maths, and it sounds like there is little scope to find something as cheap somewhere else.
Roll on 2022.

Didn't make it this year but I echo what others have said: you come to pinfest to play pinball, not to visit a hotel. And if there are people in your party who don't enjoy pinball, treat them and stay somewhere nicer. They'll be happier and so will you. Travelling between hotels is possible with something called ... taxis. Big Phil has done the maths, and it sounds like there is little scope to find something as cheap somewhere else.
Roll on 2022.

I'd just like the simple things in life:

A hotel room that I know is secure
being able to order and get food
being able to order and get water

but someone PM'ed me with an idea and I've just booked this for next year!!!! They are going to work with me to try and install a pinball machine!

JC-25187.jpg

JC-25236.jpg

JC-25310.jpgJC-25328.jpgJC-25377.jpg

I'd just like the simple things in life:

A hotel room that I know is secure
being able to order and get food
being able to order and get water

but someone PM'ed me with an idea and I've just booked this for next year!!!! They are going to work with me to try and install a pinball machine!

View attachment 146218

View attachment 146219

View attachment 146220View attachment 146221View attachment 146222
Looking at the photos - there isn't enough space for Baby Pacman :(

And no sign of me - did I say it way all about me? Great to see the competition winners!!!!!!! Well done all!!!!!!! It was also great not to try and fit the pinball back in @kevlar 's car - thank mate :)

It was a pizza for the workers John [emoji3][emoji3]. So that’s why you were left out[emoji3].
Only kidding - it took me long enough time to take it as some of you had went to bar and we noticed right away you were missing - meant to take another look me after the pizza and I think the tequila shots took over [emoji3]. You know I love you and Liz to bits - glad you did not get tied to this time [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liz and I thought it was amazing to see some good friends at the weekend that we haven't seen for a couple of years - our load out plan wasn't as slick (at some small times) as it has been in previous years but I think those that were there know why (but those that were there at the time also saw us play on the fly and get the job done). Great event, great people, great atmosphere and I didn't get a chance to play any of the competition machines (either competition) as I only managed a few games on the other machines. Chris (the new guy helping @Big Phil out this weekend this year but has done a number of years at NERG) managed to beat me on pretty much every machine - but as I drove him down and back he had to be nice to me :D

Here's to next year - I think the venue has changed hands but kept the same name etc as there were a lot of subtle things that changed between this event and the last one (beyond the 'refurb' of the gym/pool). I second @ailsaclunie in that the duty manager (whose name escapes me - Craig?) was amazing - he is the reason why the bar was open at 2am on Friday and Saturday when in previous years it closed far earlier and he went way above and beyond to make our event even more special.

@Wayne J and the other guys (whose names here I don't know) made the competitions what they are - not forgetting to mention the Scottish Pinball folks (Colin, Ailsa, Chris and Trac[e]y) for running the NBA and kids NBA events (if we had the space I'm sure Liz and I would be willing to house one of your machines - however the travel to fix it would be a bit much :D). It is making pinball accessible that makes the difference - @Poibug told me of one thing that he did - nice one mate.

We don't have any pinballs, and we don't care as out combined love of making stuff better is enough - however, if you should have a pinball you want to loan us I'm sure our grand-daughter would love it :D :D :D

I can give you x files [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

It was a pizza for the workers John [emoji3][emoji3]. So that’s why you were left out[emoji3].
Only kidding - it took me long enough time to take it as some of you had went to bar and we noticed right away you were missing - meant to take another look me after the pizza and I think the tequila shots took over [emoji3]. You know I love you and Liz to bits - glad you did not get tied to this time [emoji3]

Totally fine - after the work I put in I was humming so much I was actually singing the tune ;) so showered and got new clothes :)

Were you missing a Liz?

Were you missing a Liz?

Yes - I do recall that we noticed right away that you were both missing - honestly i meant to take a better picture when you both came back as you can’t make out everybody . We will just blame Phil [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3] I should have taken more photos xx

Yes - I do recall that we noticed right away that you were both missing - honestly i meant to take a better picture when you both came back as you can’t make out everybody . We will just blame Phil [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3] I should have taken more photos xx

Nee bosh - we both work in the background, and have no qualms. We have memories, best ever xx

And no sign of me - did I say it way all about me? Great to see the competition winners!!!!!!! Well done all!!!!!!! It was also great not to try and fit the pinball back in @kevlar 's car - thank mate :)
Thanks John, you were as friendly and helpful as always, I couldn't believe you had my machine up in the time we checked in, including putting the head back on!. I was also very happy not be be squeezing it back into the car. Thanks to the other helpful guy with you, the one with the headphones, was his name Frigg or something like that? 🤔

Thanks John, you were as friendly and helpful as always, I couldn't believe you had my machine up in the time we checked in, including putting the head back on!. I was also very happy not be be squeezing it back into the car. Thanks to the other helpful guy with you, the one with the headphones, was his name Frigg or something like that? 🤔
Wasn't just me mate - the team were immense -= PinFest is a team thing

I might be wrong, but I think @Gonzo might have set a time-lapse up, though he might be waiting to get his laptop back yet. Either way John, Liz, Dan, Chris, Graeme, Pete, Helen and the rest of the team will probably just be a blur they're so busy. Legends the lot of 'em.

Last edited:
Changing the date will cause a problem with the UKLeague Finals unlikely to be held there, as the league meets wouldn't be finished in time.
Also having a Bank Holiday the day after allows an additional day to recover and get vans hired back without having to take an additional day off work.
We could move the league start and finish dates so it starts in Sept and finishes in March or something, then this event could be May bank hol and still have league finals.

Football league spans more than one year, no reason why pinball couldn't.

Not sure moving the dates would make it more or less accessible to people though, new date would probably be a pain for some and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom