What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Phil, will drop you a PM now, thanks for looking into this - hopefully they will take bookings with a credit card in future.

Thank you for a top, top event! Aside from the room issues, it was perfect, and thank you also to all those who contributed to make it happen. The volunteers are all legends.

I wanted to pay for my room in cash on arrival, but the receptionist inisited on card payment! Seems very strange that you were not able to secure your room by credit card @thelab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - what a fantastic weekend! I had such an amazing time - I brought my eReader with me just in case I needed a break from pinball but ended up not needing it at all. If anything I would have liked more time as there were several machines I never got the chance to play that I was kicking myself about when watching back @Gonzo's video on Sunday night ha!

I loved every minute of it - I loved taking part in the tournament, the Scottish NBA event, Stall Ball, the classics, and the range of machines. There were so many machines that I'd heard about and finally got to play (like Wizard of Oz - wow!), as well as many more that I never knew existed (particularly film tie ins!). My personal game highlights were getting the ball in Red's mouth (I've only done that once before!), and getting a PB on Creature & Revenge from Mars on Sunday - plus I beat @David_Vi on his initial card (38 v 48th), so he went back for another few goes until he finally just beat me, 48th place to my 50th in the final standing ;)

Everyone was so welcoming and friendly too - it was amazing to meet so many great people over the weekend! I have been to lots of gaming events over the years and always felt like people were a bit stand-offish but literally everyone I spoke to over the weekend had a big smile. It was wonderful to meet so many interesting and friendly people, including @windoesnot @stumblor @Chris P @ailsaclunie and others whose usernames I don't know ha! Looking forward to the next event in a couple of weeks!

@Lecari - your hair is totally amazing! Also, great trousers - I have similar ones, but in burgundy :)

(actually, just nice to see another geek girl because it seems to be a total sausagefest on here! 🌭)
Thanks so much @VeeMonroe - you have great taste!

There were more women at Pinfest than I'd expected (including @ailsaclunie) - it's slowly changing! I have always been into gaming and I'm super competitive so pinball definitely feeds that urge of mine. Maybe one day I will learn how to nudge and then I will be unstoppable :cool:

Last edited:
Yes the hotel is tired and looking dated and there are niggling issues. I'm prepared to put up with that. There should be no excuses for the reservation problems we had though. And that's what I'll mainly be talking about. It's a shame the spa facilities were closed. I'll try and find out the opening date. I wasn't made aware they'd be closed and I didn't check the website.

Unfortunately, we can't afford a nice modern all singing all dancing hotel and complex. I've looked around for something else which is central to the country. We just can't do it unless prices are ramped up and I don't want to do that.

Numbers were slightly down this year but we made it into the black. We're £500 up which will be going towards a plane ticket next year as we're hoping to get some one over from the US.

We're very lucky to have all the volunteers helping out otherwise we wouldn't have a show at all. Just look at the electrics. How much would that normally cost? £2k for equipment hire and labour? Maybe more. Peter and his family do it all for free. He even brings along 2 pinball machines.

Ok, you have to wait a little longer for food and you have to get your key card scanned again and the wallpaper is dated. Which would you rather have? That or pay maybe an extra £100 over the course of the weekend to have everything right?

Hi we were there for the event and people, not a posh hotel! I do agree the hotel did look very dated.

I think part of the reservation issues may have been to just one person dealing with pinfest bookings. Surely any staff member should be able to book the rate by giving the relevant person on the team the pinfest code?

I’m not a big beer drinker but to support those who do like a drink perhaps the hotel need to bring in more of the stuff to ensure they don’t run out.

Roll on next year!

Yes the hotel is tired and looking dated and there are niggling issues. I'm prepared to put up with that. There should be no excuses for the reservation problems we had though. And that's what I'll mainly be talking about. It's a shame the spa facilities were closed. I'll try and find out the opening date. I wasn't made aware they'd be closed and I didn't check the website.

Unfortunately, we can't afford a nice modern all singing all dancing hotel and complex. I've looked around for something else which is central to the country. We just can't do it unless prices are ramped up and I don't want to do that.

Numbers were slightly down this year but we made it into the black. We're £500 up which will be going towards a plane ticket next year as we're hoping to get some one over from the US.

We're very lucky to have all the volunteers helping out otherwise we wouldn't have a show at all. Just look at the electrics. How much would that normally cost? £2k for equipment hire and labour? Maybe more. Peter and his family do it all for free. He even brings along 2 pinball machines.

Ok, you have to wait a little longer for food and you have to get your key card scanned again and the wallpaper is dated. Which would you rather have? That or pay maybe an extra £100 over the course of the weekend to have everything right?

I did notice one of the mornings they were in re-painting one of the guest rooms so looks like they are working on improving things.

Glad to hear it made it into the black. The show is fine where it is, we're only interested in the people and the pins at the end of the day

Hotel-wise - I was disappointed that the spa and gym were closed for refurbishment but now I'm home, I'm not sure I would have found the time to use those facilities anyway!

The main annoyance was the very loud high pitched alarm type sound in our room which went off a few times during our stay, including at 3.30am for over half an hour on Sunday night! I tried to call reception when it happened but no one answered the phone. I did report it to reception the next day - apparently it's the radiator? The receptionist said it had been reported to maintenance in the past but nothing had changed. Very frustrating, maybe just our room was affected as no one else has mentioned this! (We were in room 263.)

I recorded it to show the hotel staff -

I don't know if that's worth making the hotel aware of as well @Big Phil - if only because future guests will also find that frustrating.

We're happy enough with the hotel, price is good, central location, our room was fine, breakfast was great. Yeah it might be a bit dated but who cares, we were there for the pinball and to see everyone again.

The overbooking of rooms was a right screw up, did they do that on purpose because of the number of cancellations they've had recently? like airlines overbook flights expecting people not to turn up? The lack of staff is the same everywhere atm. When we checked in they said I had 3 rooms in my name! Thinking about it I could understand how there could be 2, with last years booking being carried forward but 3? no idea how they did that. Then after paying for the room ( with cash @Benleigh250 ) they gave me a card/room key with Kev Downes written on it. When I pointed out the error the blonde male receptionist who was clearly on his first day just scratched it out and wrote my name on it.

Does anyone know who owns The Getaway with the candy red legs and side rails that was at Pinfest? I've never seen that machine look better and it played beautifully too.

If all you want is a gig for the existing pinheads to turn up then Daventry is your place - if you want to make more out of it then you got no chance.

I will find it tough next year as because the hotel was so poor Mandy doesn’t want to go again and with it being bank holiday weekend it will be hard for me to leave her at home.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy with the hotel it's better than most I've stayed in (Ibis budget last year at the Chunnel entrance in Coquelles is truly awful nowadays)

But I will try and insist to pay for my room in advance next time.

Does anyone know who owns The Getaway with the candy red legs and side rails that was at Pinfest? I've never seen that machine look better and it played beautifully too.
That was the one between the LW3 and the LOTR wasnt it? Cant remember the guys name or whats called on the forum.

If all you want is a gig for the existing pinheads to turn up then Daventry is your place - if you want to make more out of it then you got no chance.

I will find it tough next year as because the hotel was so poor Mandy doesn’t want to go again and with it being bank holiday weekend it will be hard for me to leave her at home.

Neil.

Wow, I thought you loved staying there! :rofl: There are plenty of hotels nearby. This looks like a nice one a few miles away - https://www.devere.co.uk/staverton-estate/golf/ so it doesn't stop you coming. You just don't have to stay there.

Reactions: JMP
Hopefully the place will go bust and force something else! Hmm now who owns it?

If it goes bust and we're forced out, I doubt I could do it as no other compatible hotel in the area is as cheap.

Wow, I thought you loved staying there! :rofl: There are plenty of hotels nearby. This looks like a nice one a few miles away - https://www.devere.co.uk/staverton-estate/golf/ so it doesn't stop you coming. You just don't have to stay there.

I don’t love random joes coming into my room funnily enough!

Different mangalers saying that I had a room until the Monday then saying I didn’t,

ordering food and it taking hours to arrive.

Not being able to get something as simple as a bottle of water.

Ordering a cup of tea being told to goto the restaurant to get hot water to be then told they are closed…

Telling them the soda machine was ****ed for hours.

Personally I can put up with the hotel but for those with significant others not into pinball it’s a deal breaker IMO and yea I could stay somewhere else, then I’m driving back and forward which sucks.

As I said I hope the place goes bust - it deserves too

If it goes bust and we're forced out, I doubt I could do it as no other compatible hotel in the area is as cheap.

How long have you been charging the same price?

And what’s the price difference of the next nearest hotel?

You had me at Blackpool. What a **** place.

Hotel-wise - I was disappointed that the spa and gym were closed for refurbishment but now I'm home, I'm not sure I would have found the time to use those facilities anyway!

The main annoyance was the very loud high pitched alarm type sound in our room which went off a few times during our stay, including at 3.30am for over half an hour on Sunday night! I tried to call reception when it happened but no one answered the phone. I did report it to reception the next day - apparently it's the radiator? The receptionist said it had been reported to maintenance in the past but nothing had changed. Very frustrating, maybe just our room was affected as no one else has mentioned this! (We were in room 263.)

I recorded it to show the hotel staff -

I don't know if that's worth making the hotel aware of as well @Big Phil - if only because future guests will also find that frustrating.
I was in the bar till 4.30am may have been me😁

The event was amazing, the venue was more than adequate to serve the needs of hosting the event. The extra stuff that hotel guests expect is where I felt let down - staff were useless, food was over priced and terrible. Ordered the same drinks 3 times in a row and each time I was charged a different amount. Some drinks prices were absolutely ridiculous (£24 for 2 drinks!) Had to change room initially - luckily this was dealt with quickly. Swipe cards kept needing reprogramming.
Oh yeah - and John Wayne toilet paper: Rough, tough and don’t take **** from anyone [emoji23]

Another great weekend and over wayyyyy toooo quickly...!

Many thanks to Phil and all the helpers that made it possible. A fantastic effort. :clap:

Lat flow tested negative this morning which is a big bonus! :thumbs:

The hotel is what it is, coming out of a pandemic with massive shortage of willing workforce in the hospitality, decorating and maintenance sectors.

Room bookings, I have a vague recollection that there were problems at a previous show (2019?). Perhaps next years contract need to stipulate no over booking or credit card guarantee? It's easy enough for the hotel to phone people the day before to confirm their booking (provided they've the staff to do that!). The other possibility is that the hotel becomes inflexible with the booking and requires a long cancellation period, but then there might be complaints about not being able to cancel due to change of circumstance, etc.

Room wise, we had a flickering light bulb (main bulb not the downlighters) in the bathroom just as well the other half and I were not affected. The bulb finally died on Monday. Only 1 downlighter worked so just as well that lasted the weekend or showing in the dark would have been interesting.

The only other option I could suggest would be to hold in on the second Bank Holiday weekend in May, the old Monster Meet weekend, rather than in August.

The event was amazing, the venue was more than adequate to serve the needs of hosting the event. The extra stuff that hotel guests expect is where I felt let down - staff were useless, food was over priced and terrible. Ordered the same drinks 3 times in a row and each time I was charged a different amount. Some drinks prices were absolutely ridiculous (£24 for 2 drinks!) Had to change room initially - luckily this was dealt with quickly. Swipe cards kept needing reprogramming.
Oh yeah - and John Wayne toilet paper: Rough, tough and don’t take **** from anyone [emoji23]

My room card needed re programming once hopefully the hotel will address these issues

Changing the date will cause a problem with the UKLeague Finals unlikely to be held there, as the league meets wouldn't be finished in time.
Also having a Bank Holiday the day after allows an additional day to recover and get vans hired back without having to take an additional day off work.

As for partners who don't want to stay in a 'budget' hotel if they're not in to pinball I understand completely, but that's more of an issue for them to work out, rather than an issue for the show organisers to deal with.

No other hotel would allow us to do what we do, almost unrestricted access to whatever we want or need to do with power and lighting, etc. Sunday night (1am) the manager was showing us other rooms which we could potentially use.

It's a well known issue with regard to lack of hospitality staff, that there has been a knock-on effect from Covid. Hopefully that should sort itself out over the next 12 months.

We decided to try the restaurant out on one evening and were the only people in there. There were at least three staff just standing around and one of the younger waiters dumped the plates on the table.

I have deja vu regarding the drinks prices. I swear people had similiar issues in 2019.

Room wise, we had a flickering light bulb (main bulb not the downlighters) in the bathroom just as well the other half and I were not affected. The bulb finally died on Monday. Only 1 downlighter worked so just as well that lasted the weekend or showing in the dark would have been interesting.

The only other option I could suggest would be to hold in on the second Bank Holiday weekend in May, the old Monster Meet weekend, rather than in August.

We had a few spotlight bulbs out in our room but wasn't really an issue.
Great to meet you I am the blue haired girls (@Lecari /Claire ) other half 👍🏻😊

@Big Phil
I totally understand the struggles with finding venues as accommodating at the right price, I'd relive the weekend over again at the drop of the hat. I hope the nitpicking of the hotel doesn't come across as ungrateful or as criticisms of the event. I ate, slept and drunk well! Without a doubt one of the happiest weekends of my life in recent years 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom