What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such an amazing weekend i genuinely felt sad driving away afterwards. Quick unload then a 6 hour drive down to Devon next morning - now that hurt!!

Thanks to Phil for making it happen this year, i think you saved us all and reminded us what the hobby is all about.

Great to see the northern crew again and the Scottish contingent!

The comments about the stream are kind and yes from a tech side it's mammoth but honestly it's become a group effort and relies on so much from so many, so special thanks to:
Craig @roadshow16
Neil @Neil McRae
Rich @RuyLopez
Ian @windoesnot
for their expert guest commentaries, it's great because of you. Also such a wide variety of player skill to make it brilliant and often nail-biting watching.

Such respect to Paul @Wizcat and @Wayne J for organising such a tightly run tournament, it was just brilliant and gets better every year. I'm witness to literally months of planning behind the scenes, and the TD decisions made on the day were commendable.

Sparky Pete and Helen or all their help - thankyou.

Already looking forward to discussion on how we can improve next year. Would love an overhead screen of the feed and more community input - know a pin inside out? we need your voiceover! Lots of mistakes made but mostly unnoticed - but that's live tv! Such a rush. Thanks all.

Also enjoyed a good few days just playing pins and catching up with friends. Much needed.

Can't wait for the Blackpool NLP show - 23rd Oct.

Cheers,

Tim

Already looking forward to discussion on how we can improve next year. Would love an overhead screen of the feed and more community input - know a pin inside out? we need your voiceover! Lots of mistakes made but mostly unnoticed - but that's live tv! Such a rush. Thanks all.
Hopefully we'll get a few more volunteers scorers next year, which will allow me to co-commentate next year in qualifying.

There were a few things I'd picked up which weren't mentioned at all. Especially LZ which surprised me, seeing as who was commentating.
HW less so, seeing as it was only owned by @ianw.
TAV & Woz were also missing some points rich scoring strategies, along with AIQ, seeing as there were 3 out on the main floor I thought others would have picked up on some of the points scoring strategies.

Such an amazing weekend i genuinely felt sad driving away afterwards. Quick unload then a 6 hour drive down to Devon next morning - now that hurt!!

Thanks to Phil for making it happen this year, i think you saved us all and reminded us what the hobby is all about.

Great to see the northern crew again and the Scottish contingent!

The comments about the stream are kind and yes from a tech side it's mammoth but honestly it's become a group effort and relies on so much from so many, so special thanks to:
Craig @roadshow16
Neil @Neil McRae
Rich @RuyLopez
Ian @windoesnot
for their expert guest commentaries, it's great because of you. Also such a wide variety of player skill to make it brilliant and often nail-biting watching.

Such respect to Paul @Wizcat and @Wayne J for organising such a tightly run tournament, it was just brilliant and gets better every year. I'm witness to literally months of planning behind the scenes, and the TD decisions made on the day were commendable.

Sparky Pete and Helen or all their help - thankyou.

Also enjoyed a good few days just playing pins and catching up with friends. Much needed.

Can't wait for the Blackpool NLP show - 23rd Oct.

Cheers,

Tim

Minor things...
Id noticed on last years (2019,i mean!) stream and this years that the mic quality for yourself and the commentary is a bit off. It sounded distorted.
Also sometimes the voice was hard to make out against the sound of the machine or music.

Being able to bring up the final stages progress would be nice too!

But in all, it's great. I watched some of it today, it's great to be able to hear the commentary and discussion along with seeing the games from a different perspective 😊
Really appreciate what you do, it's amazing!

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll get a few more volunteers scorers next year, which will allow me to co-commentate next year in qualifying.

There were a few things I'd picked up which weren't mentioned at all. Especially LZ which surprised me, seeing as who was commentating.
HW less so, seeing as it was only owned by @ianw.
TAV & Woz were also missing some points rich scoring strategies, along with AIQ, seeing as there were 3 out on the main floor I thought others would have picked up on some of the points scoring strategies.

yeah I don't know Woz at all really other than light the locks; TAV I know a little but mostly focused on the short plunge for LOKI, qualify some of the avengers then focus them when MB starts.

and yeah fair challenge on LZ - there is a lot of opportunity in the different songs and the shots they enable and how they change through the music chorus etc - then how the shots change for tours etc that I didn't go into huge detail on in watching it again maybe should have done but its always balancing what you assume others know and yanking on too much and what you forget!

Neil.

Minor things...
Id noticed on last years (2019,i mean!) stream and this years that the mic quality for yourself and the commentary is a bit off. It sounded distorted.
Also sometimes the voice was hard to make out against the sound of the machine or music.

But in all, it's great. I watched some of it today, it's great to be able to hear the commentary and discussion along with seeing the games from a different perspective 😊

The commentary microphones are fighting against the hundred decibel or so background noise! Tim has an amazing amount of kit, but there's only so much magic he can do.

If we keep the finals the same format (or similar format) next year then I might convert Wayne's spreadsheet into a more web friendly app to make it easier for people to follow along.

Good suggestions, much appreciated.

Did anyone by any chance get a picture of the machines in the bar area that included the charity pull up banner next to them?
The charity have asked for one and I didn't think to take one
As @Poibug has already said, the games raised nearly £700 for the stroke recovery charity, which is amazing thank you

Might have to check with Martin for permissions, but there are a couple of great photos he took on : https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/08/29/ukpinfest-2021/

Minor things...

I was also sitting too far away from the mic which I realised towards the end.

Neil.

@Wayne J - WRT the competitions come and talk to Liz and I about doing some of the scoring too - speaking for myself I'm sure we'd love to help out (and who would argue with Liz :D). Glad your transport had the tail lift sorted - made the load out a lot easier.

Sounds like twitch has also muted much of the LZ section for copyright reasons. Got the recording though so will try a different site maybe Vimeo. Suspect youtube will be the same.

Nx time I might also record the audio sources independently so i can remix/rebalance

[emoji106]

I'm not sure another venue would do that without charging a lot - another plus for Daventry (despite the misgivings) - EDIT: meant to comment on the use of another room for the recording
Sounds like twitch has also muted much of the LZ section for copyright reasons. Got the recording though so will try a different site maybe Vimeo. Suspect youtube will be the same.

Nx time I might also record the audio sources independently so i can remix/rebalance

Last edited:
yeah I don't know Woz at all really other than light the locks; TAV I know a little but mostly focused on the short plunge for LOKI, qualify some of the avengers then focus them when MB starts.

and yeah fair challenge on LZ - there is a lot of opportunity in the different songs and the shots they enable and how they change through the music chorus etc - then how the shots change for tours etc that I didn't go into huge detail on in watching it again maybe should have done but its always balancing what you assume others know and yanking on too much and what you forget!

Neil.
on LZ I was thinking about the EM feature.

Light the EM spinner by spelling LED ZEP (how many times?)
Once it rises, spin the spinner to enable magnetic lock. Lock the ball back in the EM
Then lock a ball in EITHER scoop.
Rather than releasing the captive ball held on the magnet for a 3 ball MB, lock the ball in the other scoop THEN release the captive ball for a 4 way MB.
There's so much to try and explain that you can never cover everything, I didn't hear how you qualified the 2 main MBs either, and that you can work on progress on the Tour MB, while in Zepp MB, so you can be in virtually constant MB.

as for TAV,

Yes Hawkeye (left loop/ramp) all day is safe and will score you points. but it's a grind.
Before starting a MB you want to qualify as many of the Avengers (Thor left side standups, Captain America Inner Loop, Black Widow Right Ramp, Iron Man Right Loop) as possible, so you can make progress towards their mini wizard mode safely, especially CA as the ball from the plunge drops into the pops. This gives double scoring on their shots.
I was really surprised how tough it was playing, I couldn't hit the left loop to save my life as the muscle memory was different from when it was set up at mine. It's the game that got me knocked out, plus a shocking 2x playfield MB on Woz.

I know Kevin - quite a few missing as they were still getting changed I should have taken more but something called tequila rose took over [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you did take some more with me matt and the rest who were hiding in - remember ? ;)

8c51c2558d6ad0aa18f1254bbcff55e1.jpg
Big Phil’s thank you pizza night for staff and contributors . Liz and John are missing and me [emoji3].

And me as I'd gone for the leaning tower of pizzas. (See what I did there?)

And me as I'd gone for the leaning tower of pizzas. (See what I did there?)

If you could have all just stopped moving around [emoji3]. I should have got you all up against a wall and made you pose proper. Sorry Shaun - I meant to take more later on . I have missed a lot of the helpers out [emoji20]

I don't mind doing a slot Wayne, did it for Shaun this year whilst needed so can flit between the two.

Me too! I wouldn’t mind helping out too…. Be good to be part of the running of the show. We have a whole year to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom