What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awh damn! Do I need a special wristband? [emoji23]

View attachment 145966
Took a photo of @Lecari only to capture @stumblor in some sort of crisis.

No special wristband David[emoji3] . Sorry - It’s just for a few of the staff and helpers after the breakdown ( after 9 pm before we sat down from 4.30 pm ) . Phils way of saying thank you with pizza . Only a couple of pins left up as most of the staff did not get a chance to play any over weekend . Most of us were in bed early as knackered - only a few of the usual suspects stayed up longer [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! I wouldn’t mind helping out too…. Be good to be part of the running of the show. We have a whole year to plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, I dont mind doing another stint on the scoring.

Seems to work pretty well on the tablets once you get the hang of it, just a couple of times it got a bit manic when several people finished their game at the same time.

Late to the party with this reply, but I also wanted to share my thoughts on the weekend.

All in all, a fantastic weekend. The event itself was amazing, and it was great to try out loads of machines I had never played before. Massive thanks to all the donators, volunteers, staff and @Big Phil for once again knocking it out of the park.

Entered my first comp as well, and got runner up! (NBA Comp). I swear that left machine was rigged (jk), but it was super fun!
I apologise for the train wreck of an image that @ailsaclunie has posted of me looking insanely awkward. Me and photos do not have a good relationship.

Stall Ball was a laugh too, the fact I didn't immediately drain is a miracle.

The hotel experience was fine, I had an issue with my key card on the Sunday, but it was fixed easily after querying it with the staff. Room was nice, and I even got a double room after asking for it to be moved down to a single, so I was pleased with that!
Breakfast was good, but the lunch food was meh and priced insane. Took them 20 mins to give me a portion of chips on the Saturday and the Curry tasted like a microwave meal. Ditto to the drinks, I ordered one drink on the Friday and almost fell over when they told me the price. Stuck to soft drinks after that.

Best of all, it was great catching up with old friends from the Flip-Out club and the Scottish League and just having a laugh with everyone. That's always the highlight of these shows for me.

Looking forward to next year already ^^

More hassle from the hotel that one could do without...

Parking charge notice...!

Even though the other half enter the registration in to the hotel registration system (she had to go to the car and write it down first before entering it). Even though we displayed a blue disabled badge in the car all weekend...!

:mad:

Just a money making exercise trying to catch poor people out - total scandal like anyone is going to park there that shouldn’t. It’s miles away from anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More hassle from the hotel that one could do without...

Parking charge notice...!

Even though the other half enter the registration in to the hotel registration system (she had to go to the car and write it down first before entering it). Even though we displayed a blue disabled badge in the car all weekend...!

:mad:

Hi Peter. Are there instructions on how to dispute this?

The hotel told me to simply tell them and advise reg. number and they can cancel it. I was there an hour before realising I should have input reg. number.....

Already lodged the appeal with parking eye. I'll keep everyone informed on how it goes.

I only ever saw the car parked out front in one of the disabled slots, I didn't even know she'd gone in the car park until the parking charge arrived this morning! :rolleyes:

Yes ring the hotel and tell them, they have the ability to cancel it at the hotel. I know this because I didn't realise I had to enter my reg until I was leaving on Saturday evening so I spoke to the manager and he told me to call them up and they would cancel it

Reactions: JMP
Already lodged the appeal with parking eye. I'll keep everyone informed on how it goes.

I only ever saw the car parked out front in one of the disabled slots, I didn't even know she'd gone in the car park until the parking charge arrived this morning! :rolleyes:
Once you go down this route you have admitted liability. Either ignore it or get the hotel to mail you a compliments slip that you can post. I had the same issue early August when visiting the local walk-in centre.

Also as you pointed out it it merely a notice not a bill. Two different entities in the legal world.

Had the same thing when staying at a Legoland partner hotel recently, just call the hotel and they will cancel it.

She's quite adamant that the registration was entered correctly after going to the car park to check what it was and wrote it down. Just another bug in the system. :-o

My favourite machines of the weekend, which I had never played before:

1. Tommy - really liked the game
2. Led Zep - my dream theme, no idea what I was doing, but I want one.
3. Cactus Canyon - only had one game, but really enjoyed it.

Other machines new to me:
1. Deadpool, AIQ, Mandolorian - all seemed similar - modern sterns, tons of stuff on em - need a degree to figure them out. If I was buying one, then I'd buy one, not all of them. Led Zep seemed a bit different, so I'd buy that and skip these.

Shoot me down in flames......

Dibs on @Neil McRae's LZ please........

Entered my first comp as well, and got runner up! (NBA Comp). I swear that left machine was rigged (jk), but it was super fun!
I apologise for the train wreck of an image that @ailsaclunie has posted of me looking insanely awkward. Me and photos do not have a good relationship.
Ah you're Daryl? My photo is equally as bad, I get super nervous in those situations and can't even force a smile even though I won :hmm:. The right machine was definitely a little friendlier, the feed from the pops fell nicely to the right flipper. Saying that I did have a win on the left machine in the earlier rounds. Also I was very lucky with the coin toss, called heads and got it right every time ( was it a doubled headed coin? :D ). Thanks again to Colin, Ailsa and team 👏.

What arv said - I let these ****wit’s take me all the way to court and then slap them down - totally ridiculous.

Send them an invoice for your time Pete.

Ah you're Daryl? My photo is equally as bad, I get super nervous in those situations and can't even force a smile even though I won :hmm:. The right machine was definitely a little friendlier, the feed from the pops fell nicely to the right flipper. Saying that I did have a win on the left machine in the earlier rounds. Also I was very lucky with the coin toss, called heads and got it right every time ( was it a doubled headed coin? :D ). Thanks again to Colin, Ailsa and team 👏.
Thats me!

I played the right machine all comp, so I got a feel for it, just the way it is getting the left for the final. Just couldn't get any all control for the first minute, and that was my failure :p

More than chuffed with runner up though :)

I to am late with thoughts about the weekend!
A brilliant weekend which we thoroughly enjoyed.
Hotel room was fine. For us it was a bed for the night and a shower in the morning - no issues at all.
We had to have our cards reprogrammed 3/4 times each - no big deal, it happens and meant my 10,000 step count each day was kept up! 😂
Breakfast was good. We didn’t eat at the hotel otherwise but went to the local pub/restaurant each evening. Food there was great.
No idea about the bar prices - waiting for the credit card statement to arrive….😬
A really big thank you to Phil and his team of helpers/fixers/movers. They all worked tirelessly over the weekend to ensure the smooth running of the event.
Well done also to all the people that ran the tournaments.
Really chuffed to have come 3rd in the NBA tournament 😃😃
It was just lovely to catch up with old friends and make new ones - that for me is a BIG part of the whole event.
Days off are booked for next year! Roll on Pinfest 2022! 😃😃

I would also like to say thanks for everyone involved in organising the show.
It's very easy to just turn up and walk in to see (and hear!) everything set up and running, but I know it takes a huge amount of time and effort behind the scenes to make it all happen.
I've not been to a show for years, in fact I was trying to remember if it was one of the Margate shows, or maybe Aston Villa, yes it was that long ago!
We attended just on the Saturday and I introduced my other half to the world of pinball, she very much enjoyed it and didn't get bored at all, which I had thought might have happened!
Great selection of machines with very few that were out of order, and those that developed faults seemed to get fixed very quickly thanks to all the techies whizzing around.
Good to catch up with some familiar faces that I've not seen for literally years too.

Cheers,
Ben

Just to add my thanks in to Phil and all the team and fellow doners etc etc. I got the whistling radiator which someone else mentioned ( in room 257) but otherwise everything else fine. Seemed to go by in a blur, only wish had more time. Great to see both new and familiar faces, spent alot of time in both the comps, sorry to those I didnt get much chance to much. Led Z Prem was much better than I expected after being bitter disappointed by the Pro. Hot Wheels I found interesting also. Didnt get to play Mando. Lovely to get a few games on old fav's too. Great to hear that holding the event did not land Phil in a massive loss in a post lockdown world. What I will say though is we all need to continue to support these events to keep them going and to keep our hobby alive. Bring on pinfest 2022!!!

I really enjoyed Pinfest - my second time, and so much better this time now that I’ve got to know a few folks through this forum. Great to put faces to forum names!

Missed out on the tournament - bad organisation on my part. Getting into the tournament to embarrass myself will be a priority for the next one.

[mention]Big Phil [/mention] you’re a top man for fronting this and arranging what is clearly a pinball highlight of the year for us - thank you.

Also big thank you all of the kind donors of their pride and joys - rental vans and giving up your bank holiday weekend for our enjoyment [emoji106]

Already looking forward to the next one.

Finally got a chance to gather my thoughts on a great weekend. My second Pinfest, but first as an owner of one machine.

I was really self-conscious about being one of the 'first time owner, next to no knowledge' brigade, and how that is perceived by the established community. I needn't have been, everyone I talked to seemed happy to share their passion for pinball - thank you to all.
I got to say hello to Phil, Wayne, Neil, 'Gonzo', Chris B - busy guys - but welcoming. Thank you to all those who contributed their time, money, and energies to putting on what is becoming the best weekend of the year.

Hopefully, in the future, I will know more, and be able to contribute in some way.

Oh, and finally @Neil McRae - my Bro was delighted with his random goody bag prize for 12th place in Friday night's Stallball (see below), and Rich isn't from Afghanistan, he's from Nottingham (maybe similar - not sure) :)

Attachments

• 20210828_005536.jpg
    20210828_005536.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 46
I would also like to say thanks for everyone involved in organising the show.
It's very easy to just turn up and walk in to see (and hear!) everything set up and running, but I know it takes a huge amount of time and effort behind the scenes to make it all happen.
I've not been to a show for years, in fact I was trying to remember if it was one of the Margate shows, or maybe Aston Villa, yes it was that long ago!
We attended just on the Saturday and I introduced my other half to the world of pinball, she very much enjoyed it and didn't get bored at all, which I had thought might have happened!
Great selection of machines with very few that were out of order, and those that developed faults seemed to get fixed very quickly thanks to all the techies whizzing around.
Good to catch up with some familiar faces that I've not seen for literally years too.

Cheers,
Ben

Good to see ya again mate

Chris poibug

Eventually I have got around to writing a note here.

Firstly, this was my first Pinfest (at the age of 64! (but sounds better in hex: 40)) and I wish I had attended in the past.

Secondly, it was an honour to meet some of the people who have helped me sort out the Jurassic Park pin and others there. Next time I will try to stay in the same hotel as the festival itself.

Thirdly, a few people have requested some photos when I told them that I had started work on the pintable in the lambing shed. Just as well I was there as one ewe gave birth to a lamb who had trouble breathing. I noticed quickly and got the little thing breathing.

Lastly, I must admit I did not expect to feel so bloody knackered at the end of my two days there! I found out that my pinball skills - honed from the Porthcawl arcades in the 60's - are not too bad. I will keep an eye open for a suitable machine once the summer madness is out of the way.

Thank you Phil and all the others who put together a brilliant few days. We would need to sell a hell of a lot of sheep to buy the new Batman pinball.

If anyone knows anywhere in West Wales where I can get me pinball fix, please let me know.

Attachments

• 20210402_211217.jpg
    20210402_211217.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210402_221213.jpg
    20210402_221213.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210405_125020.jpg
    20210405_125020.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 55
Eventually I have got around to writing a note here.

Firstly, this was my first Pinfest (at the age of 64! (but sounds better in hex: 40)) and I wish I had attended in the past.

Secondly, it was an honour to meet some of the people who have helped me sort out the Jurassic Park pin and others there. Next time I will try to stay in the same hotel as the festival itself.

Thirdly, a few people have requested some photos when I told them that I had started work on the pintable in the lambing shed. Just as well I was there as one ewe gave birth to a lamb who had trouble breathing. I noticed quickly and got the little thing breathing.

Lastly, I must admit I did not expect to feel so bloody knackered at the end of my two days there! I found out that my pinball skills - honed from the Porthcawl arcades in the 60's - are not too bad. I will keep an eye open for a suitable machine once the summer madness is out of the way.

Thank you Phil and all the others who put together a brilliant few days. We would need to sell a hell of a lot of sheep to buy the new Batman pinball.

If anyone knows anywhere in West Wales where I can get me pinball fix, please let me know.

Was a pleasure to meet you after exchanging messages for sometime regarding JP😊 loved how much fun you were having when playing Munsters, I don't think I've heard someone laugh so much during pinball until then!

Just for reference, it was @stumblor (Davey) and @Lecari (Claire) who I introduced you to when you first approached "Which one of you is David?" 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom