What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinfest 2023 - August 25/26/27th

But doesn't that go for normal Flu. That's a big killer in the older population.
Probably. My partner Lorraine had covid 4 weeks ago pretty bad. Took the test in work ( she's a nurse in a private hospital). Tested positive. Management said she can carry on working wearing a mask unless you're really unwell. She was but she's very conscientious and they were low on staff already so stayed the rest of the shift but didn't go in the next day. It's not an automatic ' you have to go home and isolate ' anymore.

Last edited:
The NHS give different advice for COVID and Flu and many medical procedures will be cancelled if the patient is positive for Covid. This is enough reason for me to still want to stop and isolate the spread.
Terrible to hear that staff are not immediately sent home from a private hospital when it is verified they have it, forgot isolation, how about recognise our staff are unwell and need rest.

Genuinely interested to know, what is the point of testing?

If you're positive, what then?

For me, testing isn't for wimps its just for personal hygiene and common decency towards other individuals. Same reason I wash my hands after going to the toilet, shower before pinfest, stay at home when not feeling well, don't cough or sneeze openly; spit on buses; pick my nose; stick used chewing gum under the front edge of a pinball machine or crop dust. If I can make a small immaterial adjustment in y life for a benefit to others then why not? Testing just means that I know earliest when I can get back out there. Some people care about others, some just don't give a s**t.

But doesn't that go for normal Flu. That's a big killer in the older population.

Absolutely, but there was no test available for that. Basically we now have the means to test whether we're contagious to others now.

Anyway, I hope people are feeling a little better today
Exactly. We used to rely on Common sense but that seems to have gone out of the window now.

I think there's a huge assumption with the 'we' mate.

I'd suggest that those with common sense still have it, and those who don't care still don't.

We now have access to more data so why wouldn't we use it? My mum is 80 and in poor health so I'll steer clear. Even if I'm not symptomatic, I may still be contagious so the test is a good resource.

As for men not washing their hands in the gents . . . . . It's always been like that and certainly not exclusive to pinfest.

No because influenza tests are not readily available, but if I feel ill I stay at home (and I am fortunate in that I can work from home).

To put it into context, I got Covid in December 2020, spent 2 weeks in bed and lost 16lb during those 2 weeks, I was off work entirely for 6 weeks and then did a phased return over the next 6 weeks and even then didn't get back to near normal until at least 6 months and even now I don't feel as healthy as I was pre-covid. In the rest of my 30+ year working life I only had 2 days off because of sickness and that was for food poisoning. Covid was a near death experience for me that I wouldn't want anybody else to go through. I also have family members and friends and work colleagues with health issues and plenty of elderly in the village and I really don't want to pass it on to them.

No because tests are not readily available, but if I feel ill I stay at home (and I am fortunate in that I can work from home).

To put it into context, I got Covid in December 2020, spent 2 weeks in bed and lost 16lb during those 2 weeks, I was off work entirely for 6 weeks and then did a phased return over the next 6 weeks and even then didn't get back to near normal until at least 6 months and even now I don't feel as healthy as I was pre-covid. In the rest of my 30+ year working life I only had 2 days off because of sickness and that was for food poisoning. Covid was a near death experience for me that I wouldn't want anybody else to go through. I also have family members and friends and work colleagues with health issues and plenty of elderly in the village and I really don't want to pass it on to them.

Sorry to hear that mate. This is a particularly nasty strain of flu . . . .no doubt about it. Even if it wasn't Covid I'd still steer clear of everyone.

I hope people are feeling a bit better today, I had a slightly lower fever last night, but ache like hell . . . . and my ear is blocked.

You'll all be delighted to hear that I've lost my voice 😂

Every cloud has a silver lining. All 4 times I’ve tested positive for covid one of the side effects is insomnia so I played pinball last night 2-4am. A lack of sleep is catching up with me now though after 2 nights and a grand total of 5 hours kip

Every cloud has a silver lining. All 4 times I’ve tested positive for covid one of the side effects is insomnia so I played pinball last night 2-4am. A lack of sleep is catching up with me now though after 2 nights and a grand total of 5 hours kip

My wife would kill me if I even thought about turning the machines on at 2am 😂 😂

I don't have tests handy at the moment but have been feeling a bit rough for a day or so... Just put it down to a cold though. Tests ordered so I will find out soon.

My wife would kill me if I even thought about turning the machines on at 2am 😂 😂

I don't have tests handy at the moment but have been feeling a bit rough for a day or so... Just put it down to a cold though. Tests ordered so I will find out soon.
Luckily the two pin rooms are in another part of the house quite a way from the bedrooms so she was none the wiser until I mentioned it this morning

It was a cracking show. Best ever for me. Not normally especially sociable (no really John...) Spent a lot of time talking, and more importantly listening to folk. was starting to lose the Pin Mojo, too much going on in life, but PF (you lot) has rekindled that. I was even one of the last to bed on Friday...

I don't think any of my machines had any issues. There was a suspected coil burnout on circus so someone turned it off, but when i checked there was no heat inside so i suspect that it was Andys machine when it lost a years supply of magic smoke - tuuu even the machines are crop dusting... :)

Circus had a walk away, with a ball stuck on a roll over, lucky i check them periodically or that would have resulted in a melted coil. Maybe need a thicker washer under the roll over button.

Really enjoyed supporting on the scoring, count me in for next year also - was good to help out and mingle.

I missed the MBA again though - grr, my bad.

Looking forward to attending more league meets too.

See you all again soon.

JB
John
AKA Pink TuTu person

PS those of you with the lurg, get well soon.

Luckily the two pin rooms are in another part of the house quite a way from the bedrooms so she was none the wiser until I mentioned it this morning

This is why I want a wee "work" log cabin haha!

No because influenza tests are not readily available, but if I feel ill I stay at home (and I am fortunate in that I can work from home).

Sorry to hear this, but it does show that, contrary to what quite a few people seem to think, it is a serious issue, and just because one person may be asymptomatic when infected, they can potentially cause a lot of harm to others if they pass it on. One of my neighbours had Covid quite badly around 2 years ago and his sense of taste still hasn't returned to normal.

Like you, if I feel unwell, I'll stay at home and avoid passing whatever I've got on to others.
Stuff like that, and basic hygene/hand washing is both common sense (these days seemingly quite uncommon), and basic respect for others.

Been feeling rubbish since Tuesday, and very little improvement today.
In this case, I eventually found a test kit at home and tested positive for Covid this morning. :(

During my mum's pre-op for her hip replacement last month, she asked the nurse if she needed to isolate before the Op the response was "no need, we don't test for covid-19 anymore" This was at the Maelor Hospital Wrexham, so may only be a Betsi Cadwaladr practice 🙈

Genuinely interested to know, what is the point of testing?

If you're positive, what then?
The advice is still:
  • “try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days after the day you took your test if you are 18 years old or over
  • avoid meeting people who are more likely to get seriously ill from viruses, such as people with a weakened immune system, for 10 days after the day you took your test”
After everything that everyone has been through the last few years, I’m surprised people wouldn’t test and isolate if they do feel they have symptoms. But I’m glad to see most here are. Surely the amount saying they have had it shows how fast and easily it can still spread.

I’m lucky enough to have had a 2nd booster (from steward volunteering at vaccinations) but if I caught it then I’d absolutely isolate. There are vulnerable people who have been unable to get a vaccination and I would have to pass it onto any small, independent business owners who would be impacted by needing to close etc.

Another pinfest positive here. The misses has just tested positive, we're on holiday too so now stuck in the accommodation :-(
We played the same machines at pinfest and sanitised our hands after each play. But she got it and I didn't (yet).

So do you test for Influenza?
@Tucks we have better tests for COVID than flu. If there were tests for flu, you’d expect people to do so if there was a known flu outbreak and they were going to be in close proximity to elderly/vulnerable relatives. Also, some people like @Asiapinball got really sick from COVID.

That said, I also partly agree with you. I don’t own a car and live in inner London. If I tested every time I was in a crowded space where someone might have COVID, but where I had no symptoms, I’d be single-handedly keeping test manufacturers in business.

Also, the idea of testing when symptomatic suggests you have distinct symptoms worse than usual. Before my endometriosis operation, I was immune ‘flaring’ on average once a fortnight. Same symptoms regardless of what the underlying virus was. I’ve had non-COVID flares dramatically worse than my COVID one. As a result, unfortunately, I can’t self-isolate with a headache/fever/joint pain/insomnia as I’d never leave the house. I spent about two years maniacally taking paracetamol before going anywhere to avoid my recurrent fevers showing up on temperature checks, and then masking to protect people from the germs I might have.
If you ‘flare’ with severe insomnia once a fortnight and spend the next week exhausted, that particular quirk of the immune system starts getting sucky VERY fast (speaking from experience here). No s**t, I’ve hallucinated due to lack of sleep during long flares (before I got a repeat Naproxen prescription). Also, there’s a level of pain/fever where it would be helpful to be able to sleep rather than be curled up in a ball weeping on your bedroom floor at 3am.

Short version: people’s experience of COVID and their immune systems may vary, so don’t judge 😊

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom