What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tools Tools Tools

What is your Tool Brand of Choice?

• DeWalt

• Makita

• Bosch

• Milwaukee

• Festool

• Hilti

• Black & Decker

• Ryobi

• Titan

• Mac Allister

• Erbauer

• Silverline

• Aldi

• Performance Power

• Clarke

• Einhell

• Eebauer

• Worx

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t think I can blame that multi-tool on anyone but myself. I went looking at what people use to remove old mortar from brickwork and it looks like it can really speed up the task. I will find out tomorrow.

I've spent a physically painful 12 hours trying to remove decades of paint from exterior brickwork. Tried paint stripper but to no avail. The grey primer layer isn't affected at all. Also had a heat gun on it without any luck. Not sure wether to resort to the angle grinder next or is a multi-tool worth buying?

Attachments

• D60AE0F7-B681-4E67-919C-E5AA97AC2A4E.jpeg
    D60AE0F7-B681-4E67-919C-E5AA97AC2A4E.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 29
  • FC52F938-438B-483B-AB40-062E68BE2C5D.jpeg
    FC52F938-438B-483B-AB40-062E68BE2C5D.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 29
  • 20996271-D7B1-4645-BF77-AFFBEB657B8E.jpeg
    20996271-D7B1-4645-BF77-AFFBEB657B8E.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 29
would give an angle grinder with a wire cup a shot. Is what i used to strip garage doors back to metal before painting recently and breezed through it.

Assuming you got a decent angle grinder.

would give an angle grinder with a wire cup a shot. Is what i used to strip garage doors back to metal before painting recently and breezed through it.

Assuming you got a decent angle grinder.
I've got a Makita 18V angle grinder. Not sure what discs I've got (lots), not really had much cause to use it so far

acetone. soak a rag in it and apply like a poultice. should melt the paint off in less than a min.
The paint isn't a problem, it's the grey primer that's on top of the first few layers of I'm guessing lead based paint. That primer would survive a nuclear blast

This is what i use with angle grinder for paint on metal, not sure if it will be as effective on brick, but maybe worth a try.

Edit: sais for stone also in description so might be a good bet

This is what i use with angle grinder for paint on metal, not sure if it will be as effective on brick, but maybe worth a try.

Edit: sais for stone also in description so might be a good bet
I've just ordered some similar to this and 2L of Nitromors. I think the alcohol based paint stripper I was using just doesn't work on primer.

Have a look at Peelaway 7 stripper you apply it and then cover with a plastic sheet and leave for a couple of days to work. There will be some youtube vids I would think.

I've just ordered some similar to this and 2L of Nitromors. I think the alcohol based paint stripper I was using just doesn't work on primer.
That wire brush on a grinder will damage the bricks.
there are discs for grinders that are for refaceing brick work that will get the paint off and cut a layer off the face of the bric to restore it, you’d need to re point it after too

Having had a house full of joiners and furniture fitters over recent months, I just had to get one of these:
IMG_6951.jpeg
Already earned its keep by helping me sort out an issue with our stairs, had to cut a hole in the main return step to figure out why it was sinking 8mm every time i stepped on it.

I plumped for an 18v dewalt impact/driver twin set a few months ago, so this made an ideal add on.

Having had a house full of joiners and furniture fitters over recent months, I just had to get one of these:
View attachment 228521
Already earned its keep by helping me sort out an issue with our stairs, had to cut a hole in the main return step to figure out why it was sinking 8mm every time i stepped on it.

I plumped for an 18v dewalt impact/driver twin set a few months ago, so this made an ideal add on.
I really need to get one of these - I've got some grout removal to do and think it'll pay for itself just with that job.

I bought the Makita version and the grout removale tool made light work of some bricks tidying up I needed to do, highly recommend it.

IMG_1365.jpgIMG_1369.jpg

Added a work light to the collection of tools that use my dewalt batteries. this is great for working inside a pin cab.

Attachments

• IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7319.jpeg
    IMG_7319.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom