What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tools Tools Tools

What is your Tool Brand of Choice?

• DeWalt

• Makita

• Bosch

• Milwaukee

• Festool

• Hilti

• Black & Decker

• Ryobi

• Titan

• Mac Allister

• Erbauer

• Silverline

• Aldi

• Performance Power

• Clarke

• Einhell

• Eebauer

• Worx

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
Been buying some new tools and got sucked into this whole battery platform thing. Happy with my choice but curious...what's your preferred tool brands?

I've had a few Titan items from Screwfix, cheap and no issues so far but they are the kind of items I only use once or twice a year, hence me not wanting to spend a lot on them. Things like wet/dry vac, sander, leaf vacuum/blower have all worked well.

You missed Performance Power from B&Q - had a drill for years & it's been OK, but I charged the battery last week, and without using it since, there's sod all power left, so I'm fairly interested in watching this. Thinking about corded for the next one.

1BEBF89A-7E70-4FF6-8FA3-84908FCA18E0.jpegI've had a few Titan items from Screwfix, cheap and no issues so far but they are the kind of items I only use once or twice a year, hence me not wanting to spend a lot on them. Things like wet/dry vac, sander, leaf vacuum/blower have all worked well.
I had a Titan SDS from them a few weeks ago. What an absolute monsters of a tool!! It felt like it could bring the whole house down!

You missed Performance Power from B&Q - had a drill for years & it's been OK, but I charged the battery last week, and without using it since, there's sod all power left, so I'm fairly interested in watching this. Thinking about corded for the next one.
Will add it :)

Just DON’T buy Clarke from machine mart. They often don’t work out the box, and if they do, they don’t last. I’ll second PP from b&q but buy Bosch when possible.

Just DON’T buy Clarke from machine mart. They often don’t work out the box, and if they do, they don’t last. I’ll second PP from b&q but buy Bosch when possible.
Must add Clarke! Had forgotten about that one! For the record I'm a total Makita fanboy these days. Used to be Bosch (blue line).

I like DeWalt for power tools and stuff from Wera and Knipex for hand tools but assume you're talking power tools here 👍
Not necessarily power tools :) Tools Tools Tools. I do still massively rate DeWalt for circular saws and Stihl for chainsaws....but I am super tempted to replace both for the Makita LXT equivalents

For me from automotive experience it was a 2 horse race between Bosch and Makita. I base this on angle grinders, drills, jigsaws, routers and polishing mops.

Cheap Bosch are OK, but the Pro stuff is the only stuff I use if I can help it.
Dewalt would be about 3rd in the running.

Not owned anything Mac or Wilwaukee but their stuff is probably as good as my 1st & 2nd choice.

For me from automotive experience it was a 2 horse race between Bosch and Makita. I base this on angle grinders, drills, jigsaws, routers and polishing mops.

Cheap Bosch are OK, but the Pro stuff is the only stuff I use if I can help it.
Dewalt would be about 3rd in the running.

Not owned anything Mac or Wilwaukee but their stuff is probably as good as my 1st & 2nd choice.
I have a blue Bosch jigsaw that was supposed to be the best on the market at the time I bought it. Super tempted to replace it with a Makita cordless. The technology has moved on so much in the last few years. The power is phenomenal. Couple of Bosch drills to sell too. Should make the transition less painful.

Bosch pro here, 36v, 18v & 14.4v. Only bad one I had was the 14.4v multi tool which was killing batteries. Bought the proper Fein 18v one which is very good.
Tools that I don’t really use I just by cheap from Screwfix.

I live in Dewalt battery land, the 54v stuff is amazing, don’t think it’s actually 54v though, think it’s 3 18v batteries in a package as you can use 18v batteries on 54v tools.

For hand tools I use a lot of Facom, seems excellent, but also PB Swiss Tools, now these are another level, just bought a few sets of PB Allen keys last week, they are simply the best!

Chris.

Makita impact drivers are cracking
Makita hammer drill great
Bosch SDS
Milwaukee multi tool next purchase

I'm looking to invest in a battery tool platform, you're missing Einhell (main DIY brand at Toolstation) and Worx.

On some platforms the batteries are cross compatible and adaptors are available too.

Einhell and Erbauer seem to be rated as quality DIY tools, but I agree with replicas above, even as a DIYer quality tools will help me do the best job I can and should last.

I'm currently veering towards Makita LXT :thumbs:

I voted dewalt because that's what my current drill and impact driver are. I then was tied in so got a dewalt multitool as well so I've always got batteries charged.

But my old impact driver was a makita and I'd say that was better. Only replaced it because the motor (or whatever is in there) failed and screwfix had a good deal on on dewalt twin pack that weekend.
Got a replacement part for about £20 to get it up and running again and one of the lads at work still uses it.

Got some hilti nail guns at work which are awesome quality, but you pay a premium
And we've got bosch 36v sds drills on the vans as they are pretty good value.

So, looks like I dont care what brand I use!!

Positec - do both DIY & Pro Lines - long gtee if register within X time and good after sales service / value

Big fan of Lindstrom for small sidecutters.

I went Bosch Pro back when Dewalt soldout to china, but i think they've improved a lot since. Milwaukee would probably be my next choice from what I've seen

Bosch blue for me - both corded and 18v.
I like the fact that recently I could still get replacement parts - friction plate for a corded belt sander, and backing plate for an orbital sander - both around 20 years old.

Having said that, Makita LXT 18v do have a wider range of cordless tools. I really liked their car tyre inflator but not wanting to splash out on another battery type, ordered an adapter from eBay that lets you use Bosch batteries on Makita LXT tools. It makes the battery a little thicker, but works very well.

Several manufacturers (unsurprisingly) advise against using adapters, but they work, and it's just an 18v battery at the end of the day. Pretty much all combinations of adapters are available, so you're not necessarily wedded to a specific manufacturer of tools, just because you have an investment in their batteries.

In terms of types of tools, I'm very impressed with fairly recent purchases of a Bosch cordless reciprocating saw (goes through anything like a knife through butter) and also a multi-tool. Not sure how I've managed without them before!

Edited to add:
Stihl for (petrol) chainsaw, Silky for pole/hand saws, Wera for stuff like impact driver bits, and Knipex for pliers/pipe wrenches, Roughneck for mattock and mini mattock. Oh, and Weller for soldering iron.

Last edited:
DeWalt and Makita. Both have good cordless ranges which I tend to use more of unless the job calls for heavy duty SDS or chop saw work. On balance I've got more Makita 18v LXT cordless tools; reciprocating saw, circular saw, impact driver, multitool, right angle drill (very useful for neat perpendicular wiring holes thru joists) and orbital sander. DeWalt cordless jigsaw is a beauty. But also very happy with my Ebauer corded routers from ScrewFix.

Back
Top Bottom