What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tools Tools Tools

What is your Tool Brand of Choice?

• DeWalt

• Makita

• Bosch

• Milwaukee

• Festool

• Hilti

• Black & Decker

• Ryobi

• Titan

• Mac Allister

• Erbauer

• Silverline

• Aldi

• Performance Power

• Clarke

• Einhell

• Eebauer

• Worx

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was Husqvarna for petrol outdoors stuff but started to get Stihl more recently after recommendation.
Paslode for nail guns, cheap second hand and loads of parts. Makes fencing fun.
Bosch are my price/quality level for DIY tools.

DeWalt as thats the cordless collection I have and they get used nearly every day and never had any problems.
Makita SDS drill which is a beast so would recommend
Would like Festool But way too expensive.
Had a Titan breaker, lasted about half hour, the plunge saw on the other hand has been great. Would avoid, a bit hit and miss in quality terms

I'm looking to invest in a battery tool platform, you're missing Einhell (main DIY brand at Toolstation) and Worx.

On some platforms the batteries are cross compatible and adaptors are available too.

Einhell and Erbauer seem to be rated as quality DIY tools, but I agree with replicas above, even as a DIYer quality tools will help me do the best job I can and should last.

I'm currently veering towards Makita LXT :thumbs:
Einhell and Erbauer added (spelling mistake on the latter that I can't correct) :)

Ok here's my 2 pence .I am a joiner by trade and every day I am using battery power tools ,so this is my take on it . Milwaukee very good ,very expensive and very very heavy . Dewalt pretty good all rounder , I use to used dewalt for many years but change to Makita because the radio was smaller and has a better sound , all my battery tools now are all Makita which I have been using now for many years and is also another good all rounder and priced the same as Dewalt . Festool why ? To expensive and only last the same length of time as Dewalt and Makita . As for the rest on that list ,well they are just crap ,cheap naff stuff ,which are perfect for people who use a drill a couple of times a year ,they last for years 😉

DeWalt as thats the cordless collection I have and they get used nearly every day and never had any problems.
Makita SDS drill which is a beast so would recommend
Would like Festool But way too expensive.
Had a Titan breaker, lasted about half hour, the plunge saw on the other hand has been great. Would avoid, a bit hit and miss in quality terms
It's the using it every day that makes the difference, then spending serious dosh is a no-brainer. I use my drill once a month, if that, and I almost always have to charge the battery first. Might still splosh the dosh on a better brand, even though the Yorkshireman in me fights it with every fibre of my being ;)

It's the using it every day that makes the difference, then spending serious dosh is a no-brainer. I use my drill once a month, if that, and I almost always have to charge the battery first. Might still splosh the dosh on a better brand, even though the Yorkshireman in me fights it with every fibre of my being ;)
The thing is though, they're not that expensive. If you already have a battery or two then buying naked tools is very cost effective. The naked Makita's I've bought were what I'd expect to pay for some crappy make like Black&Decker.

The thing is though, they're not that expensive. If you already have a battery or two then buying naked tools is very cost effective. The naked Makita's I've bought were what I'd expect to pay for some crappy make like Black&Decker.

Totally agree, and although I don't use them every day, having a quality tool that lasts is also a lot more pleasant/easy to use than something that really struggles. 18v impact driver being a good example which makes really quick work out of stuff like removing stuck screws.

I'm doing a job at the moment which includes needing to saw through several M24 (1 inch) stainless steel threaded rods which are chemically bonded into a wall. It would take ages with a hacksaw, but the right blade on the reciprocating saw goes through each in under a minute.

Also if you use a decent supplier and look out for occasional offers, this can significantly reduce the total cost. Example was the 18v reciprocating saw (Bosch GSA18V-Li 18v, so not their smallest model) I recently bought. It was £169 (inc VAT) without a battery, but they are running an offer (from Jan to the end of March) where for any tool over £160, you can claim a free 4Ah battery from Bosch, normally £40-50 if bought separately.

Ok here's my 2 pence .I am a joiner by trade and every day I am using battery power tools ,so this is my take on it . Milwaukee very good ,very expensive and very very heavy . Dewalt pretty good all rounder , I use to used dewalt for many years but change to Makita because the radio was smaller and has a better sound , all my battery tools now are all Makita which I have been using now for many years and is also another good all rounder and priced the same as Dewalt . Festool why ? To expensive and only last the same length of time as Dewalt and Makita . As for the rest on that list ,well they are just crap ,cheap naff stuff ,which are perfect for people who use a drill a couple of times a year ,they last for years 😉
Pretty much sums up my opinion as well iam in the trade and its Makita or Dewalt ,the cheap stuff is a compromise or crap

I have been a carpenter for 30 yrs+:eek: & have had pretty much every brand. Now have Makita battery stuff, wasn't that long ago that battery tools were inferior to corded, not so much nowadays, I even have twin battery 18v chopsaw.
I use to have fully kitted out joinery shop, so have used power tools of all kinds(3 phase etc) sadly now work out of a van + my garage:)
I resisted Festool stuff for years, as is pricey, I have quite a few different brand routers & the Festool ones are different level in terms of accuracy & dust extraction.
Also have a Festool Domino, which enables me to make mortise & tenon joints in most sizes of timber & is the size of large router, check it out on YouTube

I use battery tools every day in construction and have a mixture of Milwaukee and Makita.

The Makita stuff is the most cost effective and the 3 year warranty is good with them and as others have said the body only prices are good and the most choice in each tool from basic to brushless and top end good all rounder I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my Dewalt world I have the 54v chainsaw, unbelievable bit of kit. 8F1FDCFD-3CD4-4CE4-9B17-56F866A5E22A.jpeg

A 16” blade chomping through 20” trunk, so satisfying 😎

Strimmer and hedge clippers also 54v and are amazing, as is the angle grinder, well everything really!

Just how much battery tools have come on is unbelievable!

Chris

Festool, Bessey and Knipex when asked about Father's Day presents. (Tools, clamps and snips)

DeWalt or Makita for most hand power tools, chopsaw etc. Those higher amp battery tools are really very good.

Electra Beckam have been good for me for workshop tools (band saw, thicknesses/planer etc). Record also been solid for me.

Tektronix (465) for oscilloscope, vintage and because it looks cool.

Minileaf for desktop power has been good and cheap.

K&D for logic probe (because 8 Bit Man shed on youTube has one)

Hakko for soldering gear. I'm new to electronics, I haven't used anything else and was told to buy this by someone I trust. Hasn't failed me.

I was Stihl for chainsaw, hedge cutters etc but now have binned petrol and gone Huqvarna battery when replacements needed.

I was fortunate to make some advertising for Husqvarna auto mowers a few years back. It cuts my grass now. Recommended. "Just off to cut the grass love" - Pinball in shed....

Last edited:
Reactions: PAX
I have been a carpenter for 30 yrs+:eek: & have had pretty much every brand. Now have Makita battery stuff, wasn't that long ago that battery tools were inferior to corded, not so much nowadays, I even have twin battery 18v chopsaw.
I use to have fully kitted out joinery shop, so have used power tools of all kinds(3 phase etc) sadly now work out of a van + my garage:)
I resisted Festool stuff for years, as is pricey, I have quite a few different brand routers & the Festool ones are different level in terms of accuracy & dust extraction.
Also have a Festool Domino, which enables me to make mortise & tenon joints in most sizes of timber & is the size of large router, check it out on YouTube
Domino is an amazing piece of kit. I did like biscuits.. now they're just chocolate .. I like those too..

What size the Stihl? And I saw your last house, what the hell did you use it for, bodies?
I've had that wee beestie for about 15 years. It's an 028 AVS Wood Boss. I think it has a 20" bar on it currently. It hasn't been used since 2013 unfortunately as we were living in Sweden for a few years and then the house in Macc didn't have a trusted chimney. Got the Makita LXT version arriving tomorrow and no real call for that either, but I do love a good chainsaw :)

Last edited:
I do a fair few maintenance type jobs on a remote site so use battery tools, extension cables and a Honda EU20i petrol generator. A few times a month levels of usage.

I always believed in Bosch Professional - currently have cordless hammer drill, 240v circular saw, 240v plane but the brand is not what it was. The 240v stuff is fine, I am happy with it. My original 2x Bosch batteries were rubbish in terms of longevity (how long before they died and how long before the battery would no longer accept a charge), I was really disappointed. Maybe I was unlucky with the first two, so I bought another genuine one. Also rubbish.

After canvassing opinions I gave Makita a go. Currently have 240v Makita flipper table and chop saw which is fabulous. 240v SDS hammer drill. 240v orbital sander. 18v battery - site radio, light, grinder, impact driver, drill. Very happy with the decision. Batteries head and shoulders above the Bosch ones. Not one has died in 5 years plus.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that if you have an amazon trade account that periodically the genuine makita batteries are available at knock down prices.

I do a fair few maintenance type jobs on a remote site so use battery tools, extension cables and a Honda EU20i petrol generator. A few times a month levels of usage.

I always believed in Bosch Professional - currently have cordless hammer drill, 240v circular saw, 240v plane but the brand is not what it was. The 240v stuff is fine, I am happy with it. My original 2x Bosch batteries were rubbish in terms of longevity (how long before they died and how long before the battery would no longer accept a charge), I was really disappointed. Maybe I was unlucky with the first two, so I bought another genuine one. Also rubbish.

After canvassing opinions I gave Makita a go. Currently have 240v Makita flipper table and chop saw which is fabulous. 240v SDS hammer drill. 240v orbital sander. 18v battery - site radio, light, grinder, impact driver, drill. Very happy with the decision. Batteries head and shoulders above the Bosch ones. Not one has died in 5 years plus.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that if you have an amazon trade account that periodically the genuine makita batteries are available at knock down prices.
Yes, also Makita batteries come up on Amazon warehouse deals , bought a few 3amp ones for £20 or less, often they describe them as non battery indicator, but turn up with the indicator.

Last edited:
For outdoor stuff I use 2-stroke Stihl. Chainsaw, kombi tool (long reach hedge trimmer and pole pruner), leaf blower, strimmer, hedge trimmer, clearing saw....

Again, a few times a month usage.

This stuff is pricey, but superb. Fantastic design so you can dismantle and service with very few tools. Spare parts availability is second to none.
One chainsaw failed on me after 5 years. The bore was scored and it was a write off. You then learn that your expensive tool has a Chinese carb on it. I was told that carb had failed leading to the scoring of the bore but I never fully believed that. I was offered a discount on a replacement and that one has been fine

The other stuff has been exemplary. Top of the heap is this beauty. It runs on 2 stroke but actually has valves so they call it a 4 mix. Mine is the most powerful engine in the range and several accessories plug into it. Been a very faithful servant for over 10 years. Needed zero maintenance other than an air filter and a spray of carb cleaner into the air intake in all that time. Still fires first pull

https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-kombisystems.html

Last edited:
I’ve got a few 2 stroke tools, cheap Stihl chainsaw and strimmer, high end Husqvarna chainsaw, most powerful back pack Echo blower, Kawasaki hedge trimmer.
The one thing I’m glad I did a few years ago was to use Aspen 2 fuel, clean burning and can be left in the tank/carb for a long time without any problems and still work nicely.
Needed a decent blower as my back garden used to be a school playground which is pretty handy as there is no grass to cut😂

I had a Husqavarna robot mower fitted in my rental that has a large garden, amazing thing.

The old boy gets a man in next door who uses cheap tools but still get the job done, if it wasn’t for my dogs this would have probably worked out cheaper😂

One thing I have found with the long life fuel is that it seems to give a lower idle speed.

So I had to fiddle with the adjuster to get a decent idle without the tools turning.

It is about 3x the price of regular fuel, so I only used as a winter treat

I’ve got a few 2 stroke tools, cheap Stihl chainsaw and strimmer, high end Husqvarna chainsaw, most powerful back pack Echo blower, Kawasaki hedge trimmer.
The one thing I’m glad I did a few years ago was to use Aspen 2 fuel, clean burning and can be left in the tank/carb for a long time without any problems and still work nicely.
Needed a decent blower as my back garden used to be a school playground which is pretty handy as there is no grass to cut😂

I had a Husqavarna robot mower fitted in my rental that has a large garden, amazing thing.

The old boy gets a man in next door who uses cheap tools but still get the job done, if it wasn’t for my dogs this would have probably worked out cheaper😂
I got the Flymo Easilife 200 (which is a Husqvarna) for £400 on Amazon a few weeks ago. It's brilliant!! No more mowing lawns. Bit of a pain burying all the wires though, I still have the blisters!

Milwaukee / Bosch Blue here

Got BB drill/driver and a MW Drill/driver and a MW cutting tool very very good - likely to buy more Milwaukee as they do have occasional really good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got the Flymo Easilife 200 (which is a Husqvarna) for £400 on Amazon a few weeks ago. It's brilliant!! No more mowing lawns. Bit of a pain burying all the wires though, I still have the blisters!
Ha ha, my mate works in the local agricultural machinery place here and they fitted it all. BUT I did landscape the garden, turf and dumped about 25 ton of rubbish from the garden as you could not see the garden when we bought it. Never again, my body can’t take that kind of work anymore😞
Anything that makes life easy and I’m in. I wish they did a tarmac robot vacuum😂

Gardening is a really strange one. To some it is an absolute chore so they pay others to do it, or remove all vegetation and replace with concrete/ stones/ plastic grass.

To others it is their main hobby. They spend hours a day at it.

Courses for horses

Lol, still got my old Elu biscuit joiner:thumbs:
I'll bet that Elu is amazing!! I had a cheapo Clarke one for a very long time (still do), dreaming of Lamello every time I use it. Haha.

I'm getting a real pressure towards vintage tools now. Must. Resist. Have. Enough. Old. Stuff.

Back
Top Bottom