What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today I worked on......

Today I removed old and fitted new line filter, varistor and thermistor from Jim. Hurricane no longer instantly trips the house when plugged in!

I feel like a wizard...

No pics of that sadly, but the ones from Jim are slightly smaller than the one in the machine, so needs a hole drilled and tapped.

Next is Afterglow board for lamps. I notice my GI flickers like crazy, I hadn't noticed this before. Either working on BOP with incandesant and now Afterglow has made me a light snob, or something's changed!

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 12.28.13.png

Today I removed old and fitted new line filter, varistor and thermistor from Jim. Hurricane no longer instantly trips the house when plugged in!

I feel like a wizard...

No pics of that sadly, but the ones from Jim are slightly smaller than the one in the machine, so needs a hole drilled and tapped.

Next is Afterglow board for lamps. I notice my GI flickers like crazy, I hadn't noticed this before. Either working on BOP with incandesant and now Afterglow has made me a light snob, or something's changed!

View attachment 130232
Looking good.
Would really like one of these one dat

I feel like a wizard...

View attachment 130232
You could just turn the gi power saver off in the menu and that should stop the flickering

The machine ROM already has the no flicker patch deployed on it.
Does that effect lamps and GI?
The patch reworks the lamp matrix driver to work around an issue with ASIC and modifies the timing with how lamp matrix is controlled. Therefore it only applies to controlled lamps, not GI.

The patch reworks the lamp matrix driver to work around an issue with ASIC and modifies the timing with how lamp matrix is controlled. Therefore it only applies to controlled lamps, not GI.
gotcha. Thats why its my GI flickering and the lamsp are all good :thumbs:

Today I worked on BSD;

Since reassembly the coffin lift ramp was fowling on the metal support stopping it from dropping, this resulted in having to strip most of the coffin down again damn, pays to try mechs before full reassembly.
coffin-lift.jpg

Fitted the last cliffy in the set on the rat scoop
cliffy1.jpg

cliffy2.jpg

fitted @xianek speaker panel to top things off.

speaker-panel.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Today I had a go at creating my own Bally score display. I designed a control board a while ago and just got around to hooking up a 4 digit 7 segment display I had lying around. it works!

The next step is to design the circuit board for the 6 or 7 digit led displays. I plan to make these in orange, red, white and maybe other colours.
2D061017-1F09-4655-A93B-A54A19452358.jpegF6B0B360-B30D-4C35-8117-7CCA02BFD853.jpeg5BB9ADAB-88C4-4D34-8A1F-749635F5761D.jpeg

Only slight issue is I cannot find anywhere in the world 7 segment displays with a comma instead of a full stop, at a reasonable price.
My search continues !!!!

Today I had a go at creating my own Bally score display. I designed a control board a while ago and just got around to hooking up a 4 digit 7 segment display I had lying around. it works!

The next step is to design the circuit board for the 6 or 7 digit led displays. I plan to make these in orange, red, white and maybe other colours.
View attachment 130298View attachment 130299View attachment 130300

Only slight issue is I cannot find anywhere in the world 7 segment displays with a comma instead of a full stop, at a reasonable price.
My search continues !!!!
Nice work Al, @lukewells used to make some, I bought a 2 colour display off him for my old Vector playfield. Pretty sure his had the same full stop problem. He seems to be mia these days so more options always good.

Not pinball but I finished gutting this and sticking a RPi in it running MAME along with new sticks and buttons :thumbs: What's also cool is the stool is the perfect height for playing on the Dino King as well :D

original_2fbec9c8-e3b5-4fe6-9721-9421a05a3906_PXL_20210117_230906906.jpg

gabes (cough mine too cough) has same setup. Just to LYK I intend making a custom CP on mine some point when I get round to dropping a Pi4 in to it.

Col

342AA609-D486-4DEA-868D-BAE3C4A40126.jpeg

Be interested to see the custom control panel when you get to it Col @Colywobbles :thumbs: Not one for the arcade purist but do a decent job as a MAME cab and don't take up much space (and relatively cheap). I've got my dedicated cabs for the games I really love :D

View attachment 130298View attachment 130299View attachment 130300

My search continues !!!!
I have a 7 digit display, with commas. Will PM you.

New Heartbeat ramp for BoP going in now I've added the switches and added the new decals.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 15.43.47.png

Need Cliffys now to prevent this from happening

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 15.46.34.png

Nice and shiny!

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 15.44.02.png

Finished off the drop target replacements on fireball II. Doing one bank of drop targets is bad enough but 3 sets is a marathon. Hopefully though these will last a good 40 years like the last lot. 😂😂

Very nice! 🙂

I love my FB2, it must be the game with the smallest gap between the pop bumpers!

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291 3.JPG

Fitted the Sanctum Sanctorum and Col's plastic ramp guide which works superb. Have the Tower but its a pretty big job so save it for next week!

Cheers,
Neil.

No more ball hop on these 2 with enhanced return lane guides by Cliffy, slightly wider.
3C46B348-6564-4206-99C4-559E206A28CD.jpeg

Got the final version of my Feed Frenzy micro controlled LED and Power driver today. Last few days I've been soak testing them, and so far it hasn't gone pop - so delighted.

"What is it?" - I hear you say...

A bit of background... I bought a TZ last year, which had a load of toys on it. Some were good, some were not so good. I certainly didn't have the spare power connectors to keep them all powered, along with the ColorDMD I bought for it. So I set about creating a power driver board, to neatly power them. While I was at it, I thought about how basic some of the light mods were on my games - especially the Gumball machine, and wanted to merge my christmas light technology with my pinball technology!

For Christmas lights I use the WLED open source project, which is a very clever app for driving individual addressable LED's, which are widely available, come in a range of bulb configurations and of course cheap. The app runs on the Espressif ESP8266 or ESP32 Chip, which has built in WiFi. The WLED team have created a really nice app and web based UI to enable a vast amount of config - colours, animations, timers, etc. I thought this would give my pinball mods a wide range of options, and also give scope to a really configurable (and low cost) pin stadium alternative.

I've called it Feed Frenzy which is a nod to Fish Tales, my first pinball restore project, and a game I Iove playing.

Little vid of my showing it and explaining it in a bit more detail:

I had a few made, so will create a For Sale ad in the Parts for Sales section in Classifieds. You would need a little bit of knowledge to connect the LED's to the board (3 pin connector), and provide a good 12V power supply. If I get some good reactions, I could also open up a new thread just about this topic.

Abviously you could do this all DIY with an ESP8266 or and ESP32 running WLED, connected to a decent power supply.

Awesome work it’s even something a numpty like me can use and as they say cheap as chips.
I dob my hat to you sir well done.

Well after untold hours repairing/replacing numerous parts on this once really nasty SM the Rebuild was finally completed today and I was totally and utterly shocked that it actually switched and even let me play a full game without any major issues. Gobsmacked!
I noticed quite a few switch issues but the stuff I fully rebuilt and renewed like the pops, Flippers and the two main VUKs proved to be worthwhile.
Diagnostic showed several switch problems most of which were sorted within the hour leaving me with 2 jobs a switch needing replaced on a ramp and the Auto ball launcher seeming a little weak even though I replaced the snapped bracket , cleaned and reworked the coil with a new sleeve it does feel a little sloppy so on The todo list For next time.

7CBC9164-CBED-4C7F-99F7-3446B2A88AAE.jpeg

Nice job Colin the auto launch is never that great on Spiderman
Thx @CHRIS B PINBALLS do you think putting a new coil on would help or maybe an uprated one? I did replace it with like from the other SM which looked in really good fettle but didn’t seem to help at all.
Apart from completing the LED install the auto-launch is the last of the problems before I can get this out and make some much needed room.

Back
Top Bottom