What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress The Shadow

Yeah according to the manual that's correct
Hmmm. Think I’m going to buy a new DMD and see if the GI or Inserts can be troubleshooted from there.

Slightly confused as to the cause of either problem - all my wiring seems correct except that one broken plug, but IIRC it’s for the Phurba dagger.

Hmmm. Think I’m going to buy a new DMD and see if the GI or Inserts can be troubleshooted from there.

Slightly confused as to the cause of either problem - all my wiring seems correct except that one broken plug, but IIRC it’s for the Phurba dagger.
Yeah I'm 99.9% sure that unplugged cable is not the source of the problems your having, interested to see the status of the led's on the CPU board, the manual says this is what they should do on a successful boot....

1649083232870.png#

I'm also wondering if you are getting stuck with an error message (which you can't see) you could try bypassing the menu by pressing (I think) the back button on the coin door, and seeing if it goes to attract mode.

Yeah I'm 99.9% sure that unplugged cable is not the source of the problems your having, interested to see the status of the led's on the CPU board, the manual says this is what they should do on a successful boot....

View attachment 165898#

I'm also wondering if you are getting stuck with an error message (which you can't see) you could try bypassing the menu by pressing (I think) the back button on the coin door, and seeing if it goes to attract mode.
So - unlike the manual directly after startup Led19 never flashes, but LED 21 is on. After startup, LED 20 never flashes but LED21 is on…

Ok, looking at manuals led21 is 5v power, so that's good.

led19 should light for a second then led 20 takes over and flashes continuously indicating the CPU is running.

Not sure what's causing the issues, but it seems the CPU isn't running, I would hold fire getting a new DMD if I was you, I'm not convinced the cpu board is getting far enough to actually send it any data to display.

This is where stuff gets a bit beyond me, but I would try reseating all the roms on the board and give the asic chip a gentle push to make sure its seated all the way.

Ok, looking at manuals led21 is 5v power, so that's good.

led19 should light for a second then led 20 takes over and flashes continuously indicating the CPU is running.

Not sure what's causing the issues, but it seems the CPU isn't running, I would hold fire getting a new DMD if I was you, I'm not convinced the cpu board is getting far enough to actually send it any data to display.

This is where stuff gets a bit beyond me, but I would try reseating all the roms on the board and give the asic chip a gentle push to make sure its seated all the way.
It would seem you’re right - I’ve given the security chip, U6 ROM and then the big chip (ASIC?) a push and no dice. Attached some high res photos to see if anyone notices anything:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 20
You’re right - can’t believe I missed that. Am I right in thinking I need a chip remover tool?
I assume if I bend the legs back it’ll be fine?
personally I use a flathead screwdriver, just under the chip on one side, prize it up a little, then onto the other side, then back to the first. taking it slow.

Yeah bend the legs back they will be alright, its a fiddly old job, after a few goes you kinda get the feel for it

personally I use a flathead screwdriver, just under the chip on one side, prize it up a little, then onto the other side, then back to the first. taking it slow.

Yeah bend the legs back they will be alright, its a fiddly old job, after a few goes you kinda get the feel for it
Cheers, I’ll do just that. Reckon a security chip not in properly could cause GI issues and scramble the DMD?

And don't bend them too often, they will break. Easiest way to set the spread of the legs is to set the chip on a flat surface on its side and bend the body against all legs at the same time.

The CPU isn't running probably, best case you'd have an U22 security error shown on the DMD

Cheers, I’ll do just that. Reckon a security chip not in properly could cause GI issues and scramble the DMD?
Honestly not sure exactly what would happen, possibly would get an error, but with some pins on the security chip connected, I have no idea.

Also, think switch 9 (batt) needs to be on for the battery to be connected - according to your photo, that is off.

Well - reseated U22 (which was incredibly stressful might I add) and:
image.jpg
Thank you to everyone who helped - now to find out what this means, get the connector fixed and work out why my Pinsound isn’t working!

Sadly that might be a little behind schedule as HRC has decided to give up the ghost - seems I used all my luck for Shadow!

Hmmm - coin door buttons don’t seem to work to reach the test menu - when showing high scores, if I press the black enter button it says To use buttons press enter - but pressing enter doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

Hmmm - coin door buttons don’t seem to work to reach the test menu - when showing high scores, if I press the black enter button it says To use buttons press enter - but pressing enter doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?
Would picture of my looms/ connectors etc help?

Progress. Check if J205 is connected properly on the Cpu, then have a look at the coin interface board left side of the body, where those cables (orange-something) are looped through from J1 to J5 to the buttons in the door. These are dedicated switches, you can remove J205 and ground the pins to see what happens, i.e. pin10 is ground, 6-9 are the buttons. So take a cable and short pin 10 to the others, you should get a reaction. Coin door needs to be OPEN for this in case the security interlock works.

Also, I think LED 1 is lit in your images which would suggest the fuse message is bogus. The „switch“ causing this message is a diode on the coin board so you probably have that disconnected, J3 in this case. Or the board is missing, too.

Also, I think LED 1 is lit in your images which would suggest the fuse message is bogus. The „switch“ causing this message is a diode on the coin board so you probably have that disconnected, J3 in this case. Or the board is missing, too.
You’re right - J3 is missing. But I’ve had a look around the cabinet and can’t seem to find it. Would you happen to know where it runs from?

Progress. Check if J205 is connected properly on the Cpu, then have a look at the coin interface board left side of the body, where those cables (orange-something) are looped through from J1 to J5 to the buttons in the door. These are dedicated switches, you can remove J205 and ground the pins to see what happens, i.e. pin10 is ground, 6-9 are the buttons. So take a cable and short pin 10 to the others, you should get a reaction. Coin door needs to be OPEN for this in case the security interlock works.
If you had to hypothetically explain to a toddler how to ground a pin what would you say 🤣

EDIT - just wasn’t pulling hard enough, ignore me!

Right it’s time for my idiot question of the day - I’ve raised the play field but now it’s locked in the up position and won’t come down. I’ve only ever worked on Stern machines so slightly confused as to how to get the play field down…

Last edited:
For shorting the pins on the cpu board If you get a little piece of cable, strip a bit on both ends then touch pin 10 with one end and pin 9/7/8/6 with the other, you are effectively doing the same thing as the switch does, closing the circuit and simulating a button press.

How is the PF stuck, fully vertical or resting on the lockdown receiver area?

You’re right - J3 is missing. But I’ve had a look around the cabinet and can’t seem to find it. Would you happen to know where it runs from?
Got a good look and the board and all connectors are now there - reseated and still not dice.

Have a good look at the coin door interlock switch, If that thinks the door is closed I don't think the service buttons will function.

Back
Top Bottom