What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pinball Chinwag Podcast UK

non prototype? the one at pinfest wasn't a prototype it was just a turd.

Octoberfest was great apart from the big ramp which with the P3 system was almost impossible to hit on a game lasting >5mins

Yes, non prototype. You knew what I meant.

For full clarification it was a non production line model that was not intended for sale. So basically I'm looking forward to playing the finished version of the game.

Massive pinball crime that Alien and Lebowski, two of the most elite of all time themes got hoovered up by complete cowboys. Wish Stern had done both.

To be honest mate I was incredibly impressed with Lebowski. Obviously I wasn't present for all the hassle at the start and wasn't even aware of it until @Dave Bishop explained on the podcast.

Sterns are my favourite games but they'd never have put the attention detail into Lebowski that the current company have. The bowling alley, car & roll-back rug are incredibly innovative and fun. I'd love to get one at home for a bit and really learn the game so it's on the list.

I can't attest to build quality because I've had one game but it seemed great.

To be honest mate I was incredibly impressed with Lebowski. Obviously I wasn't present for all the hassle at the start and wasn't even aware of it until @Dave Bishop explained on the podcast.

Sterns are my favourite games but they'd never have put the attention detail into Lebowski that the current company have. The bowling alley, car & roll-back rug are incredibly innovative and fun. I'd love to get one at home for a bit and really learn the game so it's on the list.

I can't attest to build quality because I've had one game but it seemed great.

It looks so good. Haha yes, a plastic for the rug, White Russian only on the LE and bowling alley missing on the Pro etc. Still at least it'd be an easier option for me. I can't be messing with Dutch Pinball, especially at those prices.

It looks so good. Haha yes, a plastic for the rug, White Russian only on the LE and bowling alley missing on the Pro etc. Still at least it'd be an easier option for me. I can't be messing with Dutch Pinball, especially at those prices.

Talking about the price I wonder if you get hit with an additional customs charge on top? I'm guessing you're supposed to but I'd be interested to know from anyone that's brought one over recently.

Massive pinball crime that Alien and Lebowski, two of the most elite of all time themes got hoovered up by complete cowboys. Wish Stern had done both.
Played both Aliens at Pinfest.
Great to see them there…
Killer theme but what a massive disappointment.
I just can’t put my finger on it, something feels off kilter. Is it the geometry?
Something just feels odd.
They were both also clunkfests IMO but I’m crap so don’t take that for gospel.
Maybe the LV will be a better pin.

Talking about the price I wonder if you get hit with an additional customs charge on top? I'm guessing you're supposed to but I'd be interested to know from anyone that's brought one over recently.

I wouldn't have a clue tbh. Does anyone know what a Lebowski costs? Can you even get one? Also, what board system do Dutch Pinball use?

Played both Aliens at Pinfest.
Great to see them there…
Killer theme but what a massive disappointment.
I just can’t put my finger on it, something feels off kilter. Is it the geometry?
Something just feels odd.
They were both also clunkfests IMO but I’m crap so don’t take that for gospel.
Maybe the LV will be a better pin.

The videos I've watched of Aliens made it look pretty poor I thought. Floaty even for a widebody? Not only that the art is woeful.

I wouldn't have a clue tbh. Does anyone know what a Lebowski costs? Can you even get one? Also, what board system do Dutch Pinball use?

I contacted them last month to get one and this was their answer:
For Europe (non-EU) we handle the distribution ourselves. The price of the game is € 10.415 excluding VAT. Also including the "Dude's Rug" and chrome upgrade! Excluded is shipping.

So yes they are still producing, and regarding the system pretty sure it is P-ROC based.

The one at the club is bust keeps having sone switch problem that causes a trough problem.

The alien at the show will be as good as it gets judging by the pinside thread. It’s like GNR once you get over the bells and whistles you realise underneath is a **** poor game.

So yes they are still producing, and regarding the system pretty sure it is P-ROC based.

Thanks mate that's interesting. It's such a ridiculously good theme and looks so well done I would push my budget pretty high for one.... But not that high

The one at the club is bust keeps having sone switch problem that causes a trough problem.

Do you mean Alien or Lebowski?

@huggers

I'm looking seriously at a Lebowski.

@Dave Bishop has brought two over and was on a chinwag before Christmas so you'll learn a lot on there.

Mate I'll be so jealous if you get one. That movie is GOAT material.My 40th birthday present from my partner was this framed OG quad, I love it!

PXL_20220115_134801697.jpg

I'll have a listen to the podcast over the weekend

The videos I've watched of Aliens made it look pretty poor I thought. Floaty even for a widebody? Not only that the art is woeful.
It was 12,500 euro's, you have to email them directly at sales@dutchpinball.com however you run the risk of a) never seeing it, b) seeing it in 5 years. I understand some of the issues with the manufacturing of the machine and other problems with the partners, I believe these have been ironed out, however the trust issue is still present. There is a distributor in Europe at www.rs-pinball.at, you would need someone who speaks Austrian/German. I would want to physically see the box in person before parting with my money. If you have 12,500 to gamble then thats a different matter, it does sell for higher so I nice return.

I would love one, I think they did an amazing job, I just wish that the company behind it had been open and honest about the challenges that trying to manufacture a mahine of this type is, rather than taking loads of peoples money and hiding.

Oh its gone down, its a shame brexit lowered the value of the Euro.

Do they actually deliver? thats the number one question?

Oh its gone down, its a shame brexit lowered the value of the Euro.

Do they actually deliver? thats the number one question?

Two weeks ago I was told it was a 6 month waiting list. There is also someone on the forum getting one delivered within the next two weeks so I guess they're getting there in terms of distribution.

My biggest question is the customs charge because I don't want it to be held up in a port and receive a letter demanding a couple of grand for import duty.

Mate I'll be so jealous if you get one. That movie is GOAT material.My 40th birthday present from my partner was this framed OG quad, I love it!

View attachment 157651

I'll have a listen to the podcast over the weekend

Quality poster for a quality games room mate.

Here is a video of the game in flipout which shows a bit of the detail. As you'll see I wasn't expecting the car to pop out so you'll have to excuse my excitement 😂. Fortunately Matt is playing so at least you'll get to see some shots.

Cracking film and Goodman is amazing.

Two weeks ago I was told it was a 6 month waiting list. There is also someone on the forum getting one delivered within the next two weeks so I guess they're getting there in terms of distribution.

My biggest question is the customs charge because I don't want it to be held up in a port and receive a letter demanding a couple of grand for import duty.

Hmm, if trusted forum members are starting to bite and they are honouring the delivery I might be tempted. I think one of the partners was pretty ill and no longer involved. I'm all for new manufacture's being a success, the quaility of the design they deserve some credit, unlike highway pinball with that turd of a game with the F1 car/theme. It's a shame all of the people who lost money beting on a start up. Perhaps we might reap the benfit, although that leaves an uncomfortable taste in my mouth.

Do you have to pay in full upfront? Credit card would be the only option as at least you might be able to get it back if it dispeared.

Assume you will and party if you don't. From parts I've ordered in Europe its been a bit hit and miss, sometimes I don't pay anything other times I have.

Here is a video of the game in flipout which shows a bit of the detail. As you'll see I wasn't expecting the car to pop out so you'll have to excuse my excitement 😂. Fortunately Matt is playing so at least you'll get to see some shots.

I really enjoyed Big Lebowski at flipout. It came accross as a well put together and well excecuted theme combined with a fun and playable playfield. I would have one in a heartbeat.

It was 12,500 euro's, you have to email them directly at sales@dutchpinball.com however you run the risk of a) never seeing it, b) seeing it in 5 years. I understand some of the issues with the manufacturing of the machine and other problems with the partners, I believe these have been ironed out, however the trust issue is still present. There is a distributor in Europe at www.rs-pinball.at, you would need someone who speaks Austrian/German. I would want to physically see the box in person before parting with my money. If you have 12,500 to gamble then thats a different matter, it does sell for higher so I nice return.

I would love one, I think they did an amazing job, I just wish that the company behind it had been open and honest about the challenges that trying to manufacture a mahine of this type is, rather than taking loads of peoples money and hiding.

Thanks dude. Very interesting. Not sure I've got the bottle for that sort of gamble. I'll end up outside Dutch Pinballs offices like this;
the-big-lebowski-rage.gif

Ha cheers man. Yeah so great. Gained huge traction over the years, it was quite cult for a while, kinda exploded in recent times. Goodman is legendary. 'this isn't 'nam Smokey, there are rules'.... So good

Hmm, if trusted forum members are starting to bite and they are honouring the delivery I might be tempted. I think one of the partners was pretty ill and no longer involved. I'm all for new manufacture's being a success, the quaility of the design they deserve some credit, unlike highway pinball with that turd of a game with the F1 car/theme. It's a shame all of the people who lost money beting on a start up. Perhaps we might reap the benfit, although that leaves an uncomfortable taste in my mouth.

Do you have to pay in full upfront? Credit card would be the only option as at least you might be able to get it back if it dispeared.

Assume you will and party if you don't. From parts I've ordered in Europe its been a bit hit and miss, sometimes I don't pay anything other times I have.
Apparently no deposit required but it might be worth talking to Dave Bishop just to find out how he's got on with his.

We do desperately need more pinball companies just to keep the big boys on their toes. JJP just don't produce games frequently enough compared to Stern.

Apparently no deposit required but it might be worth talking to Dave Bishop just to find out how he's got on with his.

We do desperately need more pinball companies just to keep the big boys on their toes. JJP just don't produce games frequently enough compared to Stern.
I couldn't agree more!
Initiative, innovation, development and quality all need support.

The trouble with JJP is their games are loaded with stuff that doesn't add enough to the actual game. It's all very well having an amazing world under glass, toys for days, or a ridiculous light show etc but if your game shoots like ass, the build quality doesn't match the price and your post sales care is dog **** you've got no chance of properly tackling Stern. Stern have many, many faults but they make elite shooters and consistently release games every few months. I want to support someone else and buy their game but they don't make it easy.

That's interesting, thanks

The trouble with JJP is their games are loaded with stuff that doesn't add enough to the actual game. It's all very well having an amazing world under glass, toys for days, or a ridiculous light show etc but if your game shoots like ass, the build quality doesn't match the price and your post sales care is dog **** you've got no chance of properly tackling Stern. Stern have many, many faults but they make elite shooters and consistently release games every few months. I want to support someone else and buy their game but they don't make it easy.

Well Stern end up being the only show in town because of their productivity and you're certainly right about them being fantastic shooting games. The reliability of Sterns is still hit and miss for me though. The problems people had with Maiden, the subway welding on AIQ, the demidog thingy on Stranger Things all seem to point to their production being slightly too rushed. That being said, their aftercare to rectify the faults seems to be a lot better than JJP.

Jersey Jack did himself no favours in the way he puffed his chest out and belittled peoples concerns with the playfield issues on G&R. It's a fantastic game though and far more than just a world under glass with a light show. I loved the multiballs and the shots and found it one of the best pinball machines I've ever played. Collecting the band members, hitting the loop shot and in particular the ball locks are incredible.

That being said I've never owned one or had to deal with customer service but I've not seen too many for sale second hand. I know three people who have them and they are very impressed.

If you listened to some of the things on the forums you'd never even try a G&R or consider a Lebowski. No point trying to play an Alien because that's probably sh1t too and from the sounds of it little point getting a P3 over because that will flop.

Sterns are my favourite games and all that I own but I seriously want to diversify a bit. The Stern evangelists are already giving it the full Billy Graham on Pinside telling everyone how crap Toy Story will be but it's too partisan for my liking.

I'll keep an open mind on Alien, Lebowski, Toy Story, P3 and everything else. I'm actually bloody excited to play any machine really mate.

Well Stern end up being the only show in town because of their productivity and you're certainly right about them being fantastic shooting games. The reliability of Sterns is still hit and miss for me though. The problems people had with Maiden, the subway welding on AIQ, the demidog thingy on Stranger Things all seem to point to their production being slightly too rushed. That being said, their aftercare to rectify the faults seems to be a lot better than JJP.

Jersey Jack did himself no favours in the way he puffed his chest out and belittled peoples concerns with the playfield issues on G&R. It's a fantastic game though and far more than just a world under glass with a light show. I loved the multiballs and the shots and found it one of the best pinball machines I've ever played. Collecting the band members, hitting the loop shot and in particular the ball locks are incredible.

That being said I've never owned one or had to deal with customer service but I've not seen too many for sale second hand. I know three people who have them and they are very impressed.

If you listened to some of the things on the forums you'd never even try a G&R or consider a Lebowski. No point trying to play an Alien because that's probably sh1t too and from the sounds of it little point getting a P3 over because that will flop.

Sterns are my favourite games and all that I own but I seriously want to diversify a bit. The Stern evangelists are already giving it the full Billy Graham on Pinside telling everyone how crap Toy Story will be but it's too partisan for my liking.

I'll keep an open mind on Alien, Lebowski, Toy Story, P3 and everything else. I'm actually bloody excited to play any machine really mate.
P3 looks interesting, it would be great if you managed to get one over. I suspect it's something you have to try to get it. The guy who started its a really interesting guy, he's done a lot for pinball by introducing a generic board people can have a go out.

I didn't particularly like the original alien from highway, but I didn't give it a huge amount of time. As a theme goes it's was well implemented and I appreciated the effort unlike there previous bag of rubbish that was some sort of racing theme.

It's encouraging that in the past 5 ish years we are seeing various pins being made by people other than stern. This is needed, I think people are forgetting all pinball companies went bust, except for stern and they also nearly did. It was only the likes of jjp taking a huge gamble that woke stern up to start providing a better experience. There games after Spiderman where starting to get pretty basic.

I'm with you 100%. I nearly bought a Hot Wheels back along and still want a TNA. I just want good pinball. That means everything, build quality, shootability (new word?) and decent customer care. I was referring to WOZ btw with the world under glass comment. Which it definitely is but I do not like it at all, style over pinball substance. Obviously this is my very subjective opinion, others mileage may vary etc etc. I don't mean to come across too STERN ARMY but between, Maiden, J-park, Deadpool etc they have more elite games than the others combined.

Full Throttle is great fun, really fast, good rules, overall a great first attempt from Heighway. Bowen did a great tutorial on it, check it out, or even better, play the game at Flipout, it's high octane fun. I also think Alien is great, linear yes, but wonderful atmosphere, cool shots and brilliant theme integration.

They don't feel like Bally/Williams or Stern games when you step in front of them, so may take a little getting used to, but once you get over the pointy lockdown bar and as long as you are playing a fully working one, I think they are excellent fun.

Full disclosure, I've actually played both games, lots. Not based my opinions on videos or others opinions

I'm with you 100%. I nearly bought a Hot Wheels back along and still want a TNA. I just want good pinball. That means everything, build quality, shootability (new word?) and decent customer care. I was referring to WOZ btw with the world under glass comment. Which it definitely is but I do not like it at all, style over pinball substance. Obviously this is my very subjective opinion, others mileage may vary etc etc. I don't mean to come across too STERN ARMY but between, Maiden, J-park, Deadpool etc they have more elite games than the others combined.
I thought Wizard of Oz was a mess, great to see, but to play not so much. I love toys but I think they took it too far, it didn't help I can't stand the wizard of Oz, but at the time I was amazed that a new manufacturer existed. I would have supported them, if I could have with a purchase.

Full Throttle is great fun, really fast, good rules, overall a great first attempt from Heighway. Bowen did a great tutorial on it, check it out, or even better, play the game at Flipout, it's high octane fun. I also think Alien is great, linear yes, but wonderful atmosphere, cool shots and brilliant theme integration.

They don't feel like Bally/Williams or Stern games when you step in front of them, so may take a little getting used to, but once you get over the pointy lockdown bar and as long as you are playing a fully working one, I think they are excellent fun.

Full disclosure, I've actually played both games, lots. Not based my opinions on videos or others opinions
Ah That's what it's called, I played it for 30 or 40 minutes at the arcade show for the trade before it was launched or just after and personally hated it. This is the thing about pinball one man's pleasure is another's pain. Alien I played at hld for 30 or so minutes when I purchased an arcade machine from them, along with the iron maiden and starr wars which had come out at the time. We where there for a couple of hours but would give it another go Loved iron maiden, hated star wars, thought alien was well done just not my cup of tea. 😃

Back
Top Bottom