What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL LICENSED 'moans about pricing' thread

In my opinion if any noobie comes along and attempts to read, decipher or understand this thread or the other 8 pager then they will probably think what a total madhouse. A thread that is OFFICIAL but isn't, LICENSED but isn't.

Appreciate that you are trying to save the noobies but it appears that you are just going round and round in circles, same arguments, same questions bit like politics that has been mentioned previously.

People are different in what they like machine wise, modding wise, price wise, etc so instead of political/economic theories just let us all get on with what and how we want to do it, helping each other without numerous posts - got to go just got message from my pin buyers forum that x3 pins available for pickup today so will get kids from school and pick up van and sorted, good price as well :)

Mods add value to people who would have added the same mods. They don’t add value or even devalue to people who wouldn’t add them or don’t like them. I like the wizardmod panels, I only have 1 machine on at a time and I think they make the off machines look nice, Neil and others think they’re hideous, that’s fine, I put them on for me and they’re easy to remove with no damage. Since different people like different mods there’s no list of this mod adds this value.

What about a year old machine with no mods. Can we even come to an agreement of how much off NIB price that should be? 😆

Sorry but No. All that tat adds ZERO value to me. If it had the standard black stuff its the same game - it plays the same way!

ColorDMD - sure £500 quid!

Neil.
If you're not interested in the tat as you put it, why not buy Premium instaed in of LE since as you say, they play the same?

Exactly this for me.

Now we're talking 😁

If stern were choosing the very pinnacle of models available I might agree but Stern are the ones who go to the 99p shop for their toys.

The bat signal in Batman 66 was not produced by Stern. They're easily purchasable from anywhere on the net as are many of the figures and models they've populated their playfields with.

We're not talking about hand crafted & painted models and they usually go for the the cheapest possible option as can be seen with the Yoda dude in Mando. Stern didn't make the Batmobile from scratch either, they chose the cheapest and worst of the diecast replicas available.

A standard piece of Stern molded plastic is significantly improved by a skilled painter/warcraft artist.

If you're not interested in the tat as you put it, why not buy Premium instaed in of LE since as you say, they play the same?

I would if they came in quick, more often than not its 6 months after the Pro and LE are available.

Regards,
Neil.

I would if they came in quick, more often than not its 6 months after the Pro and LE are available.

Regards,
Neil.
I am the most impatient person on Earth and managed to wait from October (when I first played a Godzilla Pro IIRC) until January when my Prem arrived, so I’m sure you could also wait ;)

In my opinion if any noobie comes along and attempts to read, decipher or understand this thread or the other 8 pager then they will probably think what a total madhouse. A thread that is OFFICIAL but isn't, LICENSED but isn't.

Appreciate that you are trying to save the noobies but it appears that you are just going round and round in circles, same arguments, same questions bit like politics that has been mentioned previously.

People are different in what they like machine wise, modding wise, price wise, etc so instead of political/economic theories just let us all get on with what and how we want to do it, helping each other without numerous posts - got to go just got message from my pin buyers forum that x3 pins available for pickup today so will get kids from school and pick up van and sorted, good price as well :)

no we are trying to avoid dozens of pointless threads and just have one.

The pricing situation though is generating significant discourse through the hobby, not just here but on nearly every forum:

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 18.37.16.png

Neil.

Moderator hat on. I have been here a bit and keep a record of the naughty and nice people to share with Santa each year.

On the pricing front, I think this thread has heard from most camps. There has been a relatively healthy discussion. I don’t think folks have kept quiet to keep out of trouble or because they don’t want the hassle.

Prices asked here are at the reasonable end but you have to move quick. That is the same for regulars (including admins) as it is for newbies.

On the modify vs standard front. Some like them, some don’t. We are unlikely to convince the people in the other camp. It is all just opinion. The only agreement needed is between a buyer and seller.

“I just think the idea that you need to know people to buy a pin at a reasonable price doesn't feel quite right.”

Just scrolling through this thread and this quote jumped out and to be honest it utterly baffles me.

Literally everything I do has a “mates rate”.

If I know and like someone who wants one of my pins. Then it wouldn’t even hit the open market and probably gets sold significantly below the going rate.

Pretty much the same In every other aspect of my life. If I go to a gig then I’d probably pay for the ticket and those of other people. If your kid is failing in my subject then I’ll tutor them for free. One of our next door neighbours has our keys and pops in for bottles of wine etc

And guess what. It all comes back. I’ve bought pins at sub market prices. People have treated me to meals and evenings out. Total strangers have opened their houses to me and let me play their games. Someone on this forum helped me build my games shed.

To be honest I’d just assumed it’s the way everyone operates. Life is all about who you know and the connections you make.

“I just think the idea that you need to know people to buy a pin at a reasonable price doesn't feel quite right.”

Just scrolling through this thread and this quote jumped out and to be honest it utterly baffles me.

Literally everything I do has a “mates rate”.

If I know and like someone who wants one of my pins. Then it wouldn’t even hit the open market and probably gets sold significantly below the going rate.

Pretty much the same In every other aspect of my life. If I go to a gig then I’d probably pay for the ticket and those of other people. If your kid is failing in my subject then I’ll tutor them for free. One of our next door neighbours has our keys and pops in for bottles of wine etc

And guess what. It all comes back. I’ve bought pins at sub market prices. People have treated me to meals and evenings out. Total strangers have opened their houses to me and let me play their games. Someone on this forum helped me build my games shed.

To be honest I’d just assumed it’s the way everyone operates. Life is all about who you know and the connections you make.
John, I think you‘re overthinking it :)

It’s not ’mates rates’ are bad or weird. It was literally a request for sympathy for a poster who was complaining he was having trouble getting a pin, and was told ‘hard cheese, you’re so entitled, everyone has that problem’ and then others were saying ‘well, if you knew people, you’d get cheaper pins’.

Both these things can‘t be true (well, they can, with different groups of people… but you get the point).

It was literally a request for sympathy for a poster who was complaining he was having trouble getting a pin,
Who? I don't remember this.
Everyone has trouble at first because it's daunting. Then you get more confident with the risks.

I spent months trying to find a Road Show, had so many offered to me but waited .
Compare that to the past few days where I bought pin blind via the forum while I'm not even in the country.

none of this moaning would be happening if there was the usual merry go round of machines. the music stopped with c-19 and it’s taking time to get going again

at some time in the near future you’ll all be moaning about the oversupply of reasonably priced machines and how you’d have had that but your outta space

in the meantime play what’s under your nose and be happy.

if you’re one of the minority who is looking for their first pin: plenty about. just pay the asking price or near. ebay filling up slowly with no reserve auctions at good start prices.

Who? I don't remember this.
Everyone has trouble at first because it's daunting. Then you get more confident with the risks.

I spent months trying to find a Road Show, had so many offered to me but waited .
Compare that to the past few days where I bought pin blind via the forum while I'm not even in the country.
@Aladeran has been popping up on some threads (hope they don’t mind me tagging them :) ).

I’ve PM’d them with Tobin’s details.

One of our next door neighbours has our keys and pops in for bottles of wine etc

People have treated me to meals and evenings out. Total strangers have opened their houses to me and let me play their games.

pampas-grass.jpg

Since unfortunately, I seemed to have caused the bubble to burst about this topic, I would like to explain myself as it really upset some people, including me.

I am French Canadian. Even after 23 years in the UK, I still don't understand people sometimes, especially the banter and black British humour. It's also not uncommon that people don't understand me, because I am poor at small talk, but love digging deep into comments or situations. I never intend to disrespect, belittle or hurt others, but I am opinionated and go too far sometimes. I like long posts or replies :)

While it's been already mentioned, I can be paranoid, envious and jealous at times. I am also sensitive to unfairness and greed. That is my burden to carry and change that for the better. I don't mind sharing my deficiencies, which is what I did in my controversial reply. It might be a risky thing to do in a public forum, but in that I get emotional freedom.

I recognised that some members go out of their way to help others, even at their own emotional and financial costs. The level of knowledge in this forum is impressive, there is an answer for almost everything. The interest about the hobby greatly varies, from the curious to the die hard passionate. This is a good thing, but it must be met by tolerance and respect. Those are some of the great assets of this forum.

About my reply ...

I apologies to anyone who got annoyed or angry by my reply. I will do better next time. I ran a forum years ago. It's difficult and annoying to direct users to an appropriate thread. Many people like to carry on a conversation in its context, because it's natural to do that.

It might surprise some, but I had NO IDEA that I was doing something wrong. This negative reaction took me completely off my feet. I usually don't read the comments in "For Sale" unless they concern me. I became quite upset by the intensity of the discussion and the disrespectul comments I received.

I am STILL A NOOBIE who is trying to navigate the hobby. When I did my blunder, I would have appreciated a gracious reply, instead of being shot and chastised. Only one member took the time to PM me for clarifications. I was glad to oblige, but by then the discussion was beyond mending.

Please be gracious to noobies, you were one at some point.

Cheers :)

seems to be an improvement in last couple of weeks, more coming up for sale here and more reasonably priced stuff on ebay.

Hoping the rising cost of living tempts owners who have knackered/unused machines sat in barns/garages/sheds and spare bedrooms to put them up for sale.
I will take any breadcrumbs that become available :)

At no point did I say you need to know people to get a pin at a reasonable price.

The point I'm making is having community members in your corner looking out for games for you really helps. If I see somebody having a tantrum because they've missed out on 3 sub 2k pins in a week I don't feel sorry for them because the come across real bad, and I don't feel inclined to help them find a pin either. We were all new here and we all got games, I missed out on a tonne of games I'd of liked over the years, not once have I got pi**y because I "missed out". I'm just over how childish this place is getting over people not being able to have a game right now, it's pinball ffs.

I am fed-up that my comments get judged, dissected, taken out of context, trivialised or manipulated. It looks like we also have an emotional/feeling police! If I have to always be concerned that someone will judge me, then it's definitely not the right place for me. If there is an option to "Ignore" a member, please do so with me.

There are many things I don't like when I read a post, but I try to be tolerant to understand someone's perspective, instead of criticise who they are as a person. I never once disrespected or belittle others for their perspective.

This forum won't last long, if people are concerned to express themselves.

We really need an influx of new machines from Stern, JJP & CGC.

We need hype threads, pictures of peoples new toys and the subsequent sale of old pins to make room which always creates interest on here.

All of the above makes for good threads and forum interaction.

I thought the discussion on mods was decent but we're going around in circles a bit due to lack of anything else do discuss.

Roll on Jaws, Toy Story, Cactus, Halloween and anything else.

I like the idea that I could get a TOTAN and now a Guns and Roses Data East at a very good price in Spain. I have not finished the negotiation with the seller, but I am hopeful that he will offer me a good deal.

Someone mentioned that it might not be a good idea, why? I will pick them up as part of a holiday.

What would be the price point to purchase those machines abroad and still have a bargain?

Back
Top Bottom