What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2024 thread

I messaged the guy, asking for details, I got a short reply saying it is working. I get it might be a bother for him to organise, but I am not dropping 2k on something that might be completed screwed inside. I take 20 pictures of boxed lego sets I sell, not sure why you think you can sell a pin with such little ingo.
The first rule of ebay is that anyone who asks you a question, definitely will not buy your item. I don't even respond to questions any more. Presumably this guy knows the way it works ;-)

I always ask several questions before bidding / buying… and still buy the item if the answers I get do not put me off. Why would you not respond to questions that’s absolutely crazy, unless you don’t really want to sell it I guess or have not provided an accurate description 🤷‍♂️

I asked a question the other day, “ can you take pic of the battery’s on the board”. In the ad he said he owned it 18 years.
The reply was I never knew it had battery’s! 😂
I got gazumped even after he said he got messed about in the ad, he just told me it was sold after he ended the auction.
Bellend, did me a favour as I think I will buy a car lift/ramp instead for my garage and make life easier 🔧 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JT.
I always ask several questions before bidding / buying… and still buy the item if the answers I get do not put me off. Why would you not respond to questions that’s absolutely crazy, unless you don’t really want to sell it I guess or have not provided an accurate description 🤷‍♂️
Like I said, I've literally never had anyone who asked a question actually buy an item. And in the past I've had people ask question after question, the most bizarre and time-wasting things to check, take photos of, etc, then have them not even bid.

I can see both sides of this one.

There are an awful lot of tyre kickers out there - so sellers may be reticent to answer innunerate questions from innumerate buyers. They essentially adopt a no questions, sold as seen storage hunters' approach.

Equally, there are an awful lot of dishonest/ idiot sellers out there so buyers may be reticent to buy from them if they smell the slightest evidence of a rat/ absence or proper answers to reasonable questions.

IMHO, better to buy from folk you know of. If you don't you are in the jungle and might get lucky or might get unlucky/ waste a lot of time and fuel.

I can see both sides of this one.

There are an awful lot of tyre kickers out there - so sellers may be reticent to answer innunerate questions from innumerate buyers. They essentially adopt a no questions, sold as seen storage hunters' approach.

Equally, there are an awful lot of dishonest/ idiot sellers out there so buyers may be reticent to buy from them if they smell the slightest evidence of a rat/ absence or proper answers to reasonable questions.

IMHO, better to buy from folk you know of. If you don't you are in the jungle and might get lucky or might get unlucky/ waste a lot of time and fuel.
Amen

I asked a question the other day, “ can you take pic of the battery’s on the board”. In the ad he said he owned it 18 years.
The reply was I never knew it had battery’s! 😂
I got gazumped even after he said he got messed about in the ad, he just told me it was sold after he ended the auction.
Bellend, did me a favour as I think I will buy a car lift/ramp instead for my garage and make life easier 🔧 😂
Was this the Baywatch? I was about to contact him and it was then removed.

Was this the Baywatch? I was about to contact him and it was then removed.
Yes, was in Ruislip. My bro lives 5 mins away and he agreed for him to look for me. Agreed a price too, then he didn’t get back to me. Next thing he sends a message that it’s sold.
Made enough fuss on his listing about not being messed about but he was a messer himself😂

Yes, was in Ruislip. My bro lives 5 mins away and he agreed for him to look for me. Agreed a price too, then he didn’t get back to me. Next thing he sends a message that it’s sold.
Made enough fuss on his listing about not being messed about but he was a messer himself😂

My Baywatch may be for up for sale soon (sadly) - if I can ever make a decision on what has to go to solve my eternal space issue 🤦‍♀️

Be careful, it doesn't work.... Owner just looks at it because it's 'cool' 😄
I spoke to the guy. He reckoned it stopped working "5 or 6 years ago". The lack of power to the display suggests that the battery leakage on the main board will be extensive and there are no replacement boards available for Tecnoplay at all. I made him a reasonable offer as I could definitely make use of the backglass and crossover ramp for the one I am restoring, but he's convinced it will sell for megabucks.

I spoke to the guy. He reckoned it stopped working "5 or 6 years ago". The lack of power to the display suggests that the battery leakage on the main board will be extensive and there are no replacement boards available for Tecnoplay at all. I made him a reasonable offer as I could definitely make use of the backglass and crossover ramp for the one I am restoring, but he's convinced it will sell for megabucks.
Ouch! Deffo worth something in parts, but not much more than £500 surely? Can't be a huge call for dead technoplay pins. My interest was having another pin to play with the homebrew tech I inherited from AlanJ, but that's not a realistic option having assessed space. If you have restore this is a good donor option, at a sensible price though. 👍

Ouch! Deffo worth something in parts, but not much more than £500 surely? Can't be a huge call for dead technoplay pins. My interest was having another pin to play with the homebrew tech I inherited from AlanJ, but that's not a realistic option having assessed space. If you have restore this is a good donor option, at a sensible price though. 👍
That was my assessment too, I offered him £600 based on what it will cost me to get a new backglass made and the other parts I need to fabricate to complete mine - I've already had to make a complete new cabinet for it due to woodworm and damp damage and there are a number of mechanical parts I am missing, but I have a complete set of working electronics so I know I could make a great complete machine but there is a price limit ultimately. I expect someone will buy it at an inflated price thinking they are getting an easy fixer upper "just needs a couple of fuses and some bulbs" without knowing what they are getting into.

That was my assessment too, I offered him £600 based on what it will cost me to get a new backglass made and the other parts I need to fabricate to complete mine - I've already had to make a complete new cabinet for it due to woodworm and damp damage and there are a number of mechanical parts I am missing, but I have a complete set of working electronics so I know I could make a great complete machine but there is a price limit ultimately. I expect someone will buy it at an inflated price thinking they are getting an easy fixer upper "just needs a couple of fuses and some bulbs" without knowing what they are getting into.
I hope common sense wins then @Zaccaria Keith . .. would be a shame for this opportunity be lost for you . Sounds like a great outcome for seller and potentially buyer if that did work out 🤞

Good luck @Zaccaria Keith

Not many buyers of these and I hope you can use as a parts machine to keep these things alive.

If someone does buy it and almost certainly realises they are out of their depth, a fair chance they will dump it on eBay anyway

Surprised he told you that. He was very cagey about admitting that it doesn't work. Obviously he has made out that it works in the ebay auction to inflate the price. It sounds like they have been using it as an ornament having it powered up for the GI only, so any electrical issues it has will have been worse by it being powered up broken for years.
I'd still want to fix it though 😉

Surprised he told you that. He was very cagey about admitting that it doesn't work. Obviously he has made out that it works in the ebay auction to inflate the price. It sounds like they have been using it as an ornament having it powered up for the GI only, so any electrical issues it has will have been worse by it being powered up broken for years.
I'd still want to fix it though 😉
So would I, and I have the parts to do so!

You will probably be the only one to bid on it if you want it.
So yours for £500 unless he dips out and pulls it.

Anyone want to rescue a Solar Ride 'coffee table.' !!

A game lve sold non working complete for £30 in the past. The only cheaper complete game lve ever sold was a part working zac lucky fruit for a tenner

That DP is back on at 1k more than before, suspicious listing and one to be careful with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266744940908

Same seller as before and I think its already been linked on here at the higher price, someone said he would have taken £5500 when it first went up at £6k but guess he's changed his mind now, must have had too many people trying to tear his arm off to get it.

Like I said, I've literally never had anyone who asked a question actually buy an item. And in the past I've had people ask question after question, the most bizarre and time-wasting things to check, take photos of, etc, then have them not even bid.
Could that be because the answers you gave, put them off. If you do not ask questions, you are solely replying of the sellers description. That is madness!

Could that be because the answers you gave, put them off. If you do not ask questions, you are solely replying of the sellers description. That is madness!
Nah, they used to respond with some positive comments, like they were defo going to buy it (e.g. asking about how and when they could collect it, how to pay, etc), then don't even bid It's the tire-kicker situation DRD mentioned. And it's been my experience across the board selling on ebay.

tbh, you can see it in the various iterations of this thread over the years: people are often commenting how they've asked questions, when clearly they've had no intention of actually buying the machine. In some cases there've even been people saying they asked questions, then started giving advise to sellers on how to price or sell their machines. I mean, ffs. And at the end of the day, my approach has had zero negative effects on sales 🤷‍♂️

^^^Used to sell a lot of Jag parts and a few cars on eBay, similar experience-would bend over backwards to provide photos of irrelevant areas- and then they’d never bid! I now price my parts below market prices with plenty of pics and people buy them , 100% of people who ask questions, that I answer positively ie yes it comes with the nuts, never buy.

Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom