What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The all new eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2021 thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s too blurry - what if you buy then own for several years and suddenly the market is a different place? Same if you sell a project then see it for sale shortly afterwards at a much inflated price - the seller did some work to ‘earn’ that extra, but is it morally ok?

I’m slowly building myself a list of those who I want to deal with and those who I don’t. I’m not rich, far from it, but I’m not here to make money either. This is a hobby and an interest, and I’m only really interested in dealing with like-minded individuals now, even if a bargain comes along. I’m also not able to sell for a loss on a regular basis, which is partly why I keep games so long!
I feel a fair number of people now deal outside of this forum, which is effectively the same as having smaller trusted groups who live locally or used to drink in X pub or whatever. Just my opinion.
I don't think you can put project pins into this argument.
No-one is going to buy a non worker, possibly put the same amount of money into it including their time and effort and sell back to the group for what they paid.
I think that is unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@Paul R Owen is right about covid. It will be suppressing sales.

However, I think we are at a "smell the coffee' moment here regarding machine sales.

This forum is without doubt the nicest place to buy and sell games in the UK. I have virtually zero interest in buying on other platforms. I think that we as a community would miss the Pinballinfo for sale forum if it dies.

Facebook is gaining traction with both hard-core nerds and soft-core pinball owners. eBay is doing ever more £1 fee deals. These are two enormous factors that threaten our for sale forum.

As a community we need to respond.

What we can do about this ....

1. Go back to the old for sale forum. Keep it simple

2. Remove requirement to pay money before a seller can list a game. I thought this was a sound move at the time but when other selling forums charge zero - we need a reality check.

If a new face tries to sell a game and fooks about, remove the thread. Discipline them that way, rather than with an up-front fee

3. All forum members to list games on here first, or at least in parallel with other sites

4. Take steps to protect sellers from getting ripped off and feeling stupid.

Sellers should be smart enough to realise that getting 6x frenzied, rabid nerds machine gunning them with emails suggests a problem. But I think some guys are too embarrassed to reprice a game when they have clearly made a mistake.

a. Have a warning on the create a sale page, alerting folk to the "what the games are worth" forum

b. Experienced forum members warn sellers via PM when they have underpriced a game. I have done this before. One person's great deal. That Fathom for £75 etc is another person getting ripped off and feeling stupid

5. Ban idiots fast. Immediate suspension for a day or so. Then escalate

For the time being I am done selling on here. My small contribution to this hobby was to not make money on games I own and to let them move on at attractive prices in the hope that a cheapish pin in nice condition can do the rounds. Obviously I don’t have and don’t expect to control what the buyers do with them but it’s a bit of a kick in the nuts when you get the - I’ve been looking for a nice one for ages and suddenly less than 3 months later it’s up for 1/3 more. If the spidey had been close to under 4K then fair enough with the flipper rebuilds and re rubbering.

Let me be clear I was fully aware it was a cracking price when I sold and was offered almost 20% more but I’m lucky enough to be in a decent financial position and don’t need to chase the top price £ when selling. Maybe foolishly I hoped that with the moaning on pinflation people would have the morals to think I got that cheap I’ll add 100/200 to cover what I’ve done and let someone else get a ‘bargain’ and enjoy it. Obviously not as it’s the second time it’s happened.

I was also one of the few people who buy quite a few nib games and don’t mind taking the nib hit when moving them on. Recently a few people have been asking why so few newish sterns turn up. The answer is simple. If no one wants to be the one who takes the nib hits on the pre and le’s they won’t filter through the market.
I currently have 17 pins (and gnr incoming) of which I can only really have 14 set up at a time so the excess is tombstoned or on loan to a friend. Everything I have is a newish machine or a mint/super mint BW restoration. Only this week I was chatted to someone on here about maybe letting a couple go so someone else can enjoy them as it’s a shame to just store them.
Forget it I’m done for now. A few select friends on here will get first dibs if they are interested and if not I’ll just store them or pass onto a guy who I’m friendly with who has one of the retail stores people moan about. At least with him even though I consider his prices over the top he does have the overheads of running a business so I partly understand the prices as he needs a profit or what’s the point.

Take care all I’m done for now

To be fair I think its great when a member sells there machine on here, yet knowing that they will get more money on the bay
I have had some excellent advice on here and being a newbie that's a great help.
I just think if you buy from here its only fair to put it back on here first so more people like myself can get into the hobby.

For the time being I am done selling on here. My small contribution to this hobby was to not make money on games I own and to let them move on at attractive prices in the hope that a cheapish pin in nice condition can do the rounds. Obviously I don’t have and don’t expect to control what the buyers do with them but it’s a bit of a kick in the nuts when you get the - I’ve been looking for a nice one for ages and suddenly less than 3 months later it’s up for 1/3 more. If the spidey had been close to under 4K then fair enough with the flipper rebuilds and re rubbering.

Let me be clear I was fully aware it was a cracking price when I sold and was offered almost 20% more but I’m lucky enough to be in a decent financial position and don’t need to chase the top price £ when selling. Maybe foolishly I hoped that with the moaning on pinflation people would have the morals to think I got that cheap I’ll add 100/200 to cover what I’ve done and let someone else get a ‘bargain’ and enjoy it. Obviously not as it’s the second time it’s happened.

I was also one of the few people who buy quite a few nib games and don’t mind taking the nib hit when moving them on. Recently a few people have been asking why so few newish sterns turn up. The answer is simple. If no one wants to be the one who takes the nib hits on the pre and le’s they won’t filter through the market.
I currently have 17 pins (and gnr incoming) of which I can only really have 14 set up at a time so the excess is tombstoned or on loan to a friend. Everything I have is a newish machine or a mint/super mint BW restoration. Only this week I was chatted to someone on here about maybe letting a couple go so someone else can enjoy them as it’s a shame to just store them.
Forget it I’m done for now. A few select friends on here will get first dibs if they are interested and if not I’ll just store them or pass onto a guy who I’m friendly with who has one of the retail stores people moan about. At least with him even though I consider his prices over the top he does have the overheads of running a business so I partly understand the prices as he needs a profit or what’s the point.

Sorry to read this mate. I totally understand and sympathise with your situation. I would be pretty annoyed as well. It’s just not nice taking advantage of someone’s good nature like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwiw I think this community is great for someone new to the hobby (such as myself) because how on earth can a newbie not get ripped off without the trusted members in a place like this.
To be fair I think its great when a member sells there machine on here, yet knowing that they will get more money on the bay
I have had some excellent advice on here and being a newbie that's a great help.
I just think if you buy from here its only fair to put it back on here first so more people like myself can get into the hobby.
This is me too, I have two machines that i recently bought off eBay, one bought before I found this forum and one just the other day, as I'm new to owning machines I think this place is great for newbies getting into the hobby and i'll be sad if this community dies in terms of the sellers market. FWIW i was hoping to trade or just offer the pins I have on here in a few months so that I can experience as many pins that I've missed over the years. I think anyone that truly cares about this hobby would value this community but there will always be people out to make a quick buck unfortunately. Just my 2 cents from an outsiders perspective.

I see the Indy sold for £3500 too I sold that for £1800 last year to a group member who did put some time and effort into it and sold for £2500 still a nice 1k flip

Kinda feel it was a waste of time paying to support the site in order to buy something now,

Things will steady up when the economic gets going again and. See a Frankenstein is up on eBay with nice powder trim artwork a snip at 3.5k

Things will steady up when the economic gets going again and. See a Frankenstein is up on eBay with nice powder trim artwork a snip at 3.5k
I agree when things get back to normality people can go back on holiday and pubs and clubs re open the I think some prices will come back down with a bump demand is high as people are still stuck inside with nothing to do once the novelty of the man cave has worn off then hopefully prices will get back to normal

Thats Neil of pinball madness who I'm sure a few people know on here, top bloke imo but he doesn't like posting on here.

With governments around the globe printing money due to covid, the value of real assets in £ has gone up:

Bitcoin, premium watches, gold, mobile homes .... and pinball machines.

If someone bought a game mid 2020, there is a fair chance it will sell for more now. That is not spiteful behaviour. That is a fall in the value of paper money.

The spike in prices in the past 9 months is probably as sharp as any I can remember

Did anyone notice the IJ4 on EBay? Looked very tidy- went for £3.5k yesterday.
That’s my old one I bought sub 2k off ChrisB and done a real nice shop on it and fitted every plastic with my Flo Protectors.
It was stunning when finished. I sold to a Family/Friend and later helped him to sell for 2.5 on here after fitting a shaker.
Was a nice example when I finished.

Col

Last edited:
You are right Dave I have been looking at watches a fair bit recently and I not sure that it’s the fact the used market has gone up or that the same new watch has rocketed

People are looking for safe havens to store wealth. Banks pay zero interest.

My 94 low mileage merc sl cost about 8.5k in 2008. It will be +/- 20k now. Pinball machines have probably done about the same in % terms. Rolexes too. Gold has about tripled in £ over the same period.

Classic motorbikes. Campagnolo bike equipment .... all quality real assets like these have gone up in £ terms

Sorry to hear. Was gutted when I missed out on your JP LE, but couldn’t move fast enough....

It's a shame that it's come to this, because it was people like yourself that have helped people out on here get into the hobby when you take a hit on a pin and move it on to someone new, but I know where you are coming from when you sell a pin then someone makes money on the back of you, shame on them that's all I got to say about it.
All the best.
Steve.

I think it's important to get a sense of perspective. Just because someone puts a machine on eBay for £5k that does not mean that it will sell for that price or anywhere near it. When I buy stuff on eBay I generally lowball until we get to a reasonable/cheap figure. For example I bought a coal scuttle today with a buy it now of £120 for £75. Likewise when I sell things on eBay (and I have bought and sold thousands) I overprice stuff so that people can make an offer and feel like they're getting a bargain. People really need to feel like they've not paid the asking price. I haven't bought or sold many pinball machines and I certainly don't see it as an investment or a business sideline in any way. What are we talking here? A few hundred quid? Hardly worth the bother. Anyway the point is that I'm fairly sure Robert Lucas isn't actually expecting or hoping to get £5k for it (I could be totally wrong). Taking as an example, I listed an RFM that I bought from JC Rox for £2k for £3500 a year later and accepted an offer for £2300. That was purely because people onthe forum were telling me it was worth £1500. I have a hot tub advertised for £2000, I accepted an offer for £700 (but he didn't turn up). What you see on eBay isn't usually the full story. People need to sell stuff at its market value or close to otherwise they're going to get annoyed. Simple as that.

I think it's important to get a sense of perspective. Just because someone puts a machine on eBay for £5k that does not mean that it will sell for that price or anywhere near it. When I buy stuff on eBay I generally lowball until we get to a reasonable/cheap figure. For example I bought a coal scuttle today with a buy it now of £120 for £75. Likewise when I sell things on eBay (and I have bought and sold thousands) I overprice stuff so that people can make an offer and feel like they're getting a bargain. People really need to feel like they've not paid the asking price. I haven't bought or sold many pinball machines and I certainly don't see it as an investment or a business sideline in any way. What are we talking here? A few hundred quid? Hardly worth the bother. Anyway the point is that I'm fairly sure Robert Lucas isn't actually expecting or hoping to get £5k for it (I could be totally wrong). Taking as an example, I listed an RFM that I bought from JC Rox for £2k for £3500 a year later and accepted an offer for £2300. That was purely because people onthe forum were telling me it was worth £1500. I have a hot tub advertised for £2000, I accepted an offer for £700 (but he didn't turn up). What you see on eBay isn't usually the full story. People need to sell stuff at its market value or close to otherwise they're going to get annoyed. Simple as that.
Yeah agree with this, I made an offer on the dialled in listed on ebay for 7.5k, I offered 6.5k expecting a counter offer so we could come to an agreement, I just got a flat decline of offer so I guess some people really are just holding out for top dollar or asking price. It's the same in the rental market in places where people would rather let a property sit vacant for months than accept an offer that they consider lower than market value.

Yes you are correct just because it’s at 5k doesn’t mean to say it will sell for that but the Spiderman has no or best offer
I could never be bothered with the long haul stupid price I would just always price it right and have it gone or put on bids at 99p start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom