What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching broadband provider, any thoughts?

I have several business clients on Gigaclear running their routers as bridged mode modems - no problem at all

I have several business clients on Gigaclear running their routers as bridged mode modems - no problem at all

Also good news!
Up until receintly you had to be on a business service to be able to bridge or get a static ip/range, but they said they'll be trialling in on the consumer services too so that's what I'm hoping to be able to

My original contract was a Home200 which was the lowest speed consumer service at which you could get a static IP for a couple of pounds a month extra. They since upgraded me to Go300 and reduced the price by about £10 per month (how many ISPs do that unprompted!) and I have kept the static IP. I hope they get your connection sorted soon, they seem to overcommit themselves on the number of simultaneous new networks they are trying to install.

House I'm buying has a maximum broadband speed of BT Standard Broadband 5-11mb/s. Which is shockingly poor. Welcome to Wales! There are six cabinets or whatever you call them in the area and all are fibre enabled. No Virgin in the area. I see that Sky reckon they can provide 38mb/s. Does that sound feasible? I would have assumed that BT would be max speed?

BT website - service checker on postcode and PSTN number if you have it will tell you the speed you can get.
It’s then up to you which ISP you go for.

Sometimes the Openreach guys will get lazy and won’t install a pre filtered faceplate on a new FTTC / VDSL Service.
If they don’t do yourself a favour - albeit your ISP and BT will not advise as your officially tampering with the provider end 😴 - install one of these:
No krone tool required, self terminating on the copper pair (one with the voice) as you may have a 2 pair (4 core or more) coming onto your home on the dark cable.
I’ve noticed an increase in 15mbps download just by replacing the faceplate, 12 quid Amazon or eBay 👍
2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4
25B3F36A-3B0A-4B39-AE15-EF5787E0721D.png

Sometimes the Openreach guys will get lazy and won’t install a pre filtered faceplate on a new FTTC / VDSL Service.
If they don’t do yourself a favour - albeit your ISP and BT will not advise as your officially tampering with the provider end 😴 - install one of these:
No krone tool required, self terminating on the copper pair (one with the voice) as you may have a 2 pair (4 core or more) coming onto your home on the dark cable.
I’ve noticed an increase in 15mbps download just by replacing the faceplate, 12 quid Amazon or eBay 👍
2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4
View attachment 119547

At the moment the whole thing is screwed as it got hit by lightning two weeks ago. Seller was trying to explain that BT are due to fix something or other but to be honest it was in one ear out the other with the kids running around the house deciding on bedrooms.

FTTP it is then!!
I don't even know what that is. BT checker says the maximum is Standard Broadband 5-11mb/s. The nearest cabinet is half a mile away and fibre enabled. I heard that the closer you are the worse it can be.

I was on a site earlier that said there were six cabinets in the area (Abergele) and all six were fibre enabled.

- Fibre to the cab - then from the cab - the copper to your home from the cab = FTTC VDSL
- Full Fibre - Runs Fibre all the way from the green cab to your home = FTTP
- Copper Line runs from the local BT exchange or if you are too far from the DSLAM in the green cab to enjoy FTTC speeds = ADSL2 / + Crap

So going back to the original question, is it feasible that Sky can get 38mb/s compared to BT at 11mb/s?

It certainly won’t be coming down the satellite at that speed so must be on the copper.
If BT checker is saying 11mb/s I would take that as more accurate.
Openreach run all the cabling infrastructure - the ISPs use all said infrastructure owning their own kit in the data centres - a bit different with LLU - local loop Unbundled - I believe, I’m sure Neil would know more about that part.....

Edit: Give Sky a call and ask the Q

Last edited:
I'm on BT Halo at the moment so it's going to be a big downgrade whatever happens. The internet in Wales is poverty level.

Being Wales - There is a possibility that Sky may be using LLU at your exchange and for some reason BT hasn’t caught up.......
That could explain the better speed so def worth calling Sky 👍

Being Wales - There is a possibility that Sky may be using LLU at your exchange and for some reason BT hasn’t caught up.......

Thanks, so there is a possibility then. I think I'll go with Sky and then if they don't deliver that speed I can always cancel it and try someone else. Cheers!

I get fibre to the box which is only about 50 metres away on my road and get 70mb/s, if I had fibre to my house how much extra mb/s could I get?

Not sure Sam does know. Virgin themselves will start off saying they supply cable to my property but they do not and the obvious route on a map is a private road that is of no value to me as the front of my property is going to be hard to wire to my house.
My BT copper wire goes across various peoples gardens and through a lot of trees. I can’t see it lasting for long. Each year the speed reaches on that drops.

So going back to the original question, is it feasible that Sky can get 38mb/s compared to BT at 11mb/s?

No!

Nope, LLU is equipment at the exchange. The 'slow' bit is from the exchange to your local cab and then to your house. The more of this is copper wire, and the longer that wire is dictates the speed. Sky have no 'magic' in the exchange that boosts speeds.

Check using the phone number of the house only. Postcode checkers used to be fairly accurate (for old ADSL) because a few hundred metres made little difference as most peopler were a km or two from the exchange and being 2.1km or 2.3km had little effect.

However now the key is proximity to the cab, and exactly which cab you are connected to as its the local wiring that is key, so postcodes are often not a useful guide - if they postcode thinks you are close to an FTTC enabled cab but the wiring goes the other way, the long route to a distant cab then it makes a huge difference.

I get fibre to the box which is only about 50 metres away on my road and get 70mb/s, if I had fibre to my house how much extra mb/s could I get?

If you have FTTP available to your house, then anywhere from 300-900Mb - it is full fibre all the way from exchange to the house, so it doesn't suffer from distance losses in the same way that copper cable does.

If you have FTTP available to your house, then anywhere from 300-900Mb - it is full fibre all the way from exchange to the house, so it doesn't suffer from distance losses in the same way that copper cable does.
Looks like I could get 330mb/s, but guess I would have to pay BT to run a fibre cable which is a straight 50m ish run.
Wonder what that would cost?

Attachments

• 480949F9-E741-498C-8113-856864DF5AA2.jpeg
    480949F9-E741-498C-8113-856864DF5AA2.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 20
Looks like I could get 330mb/s, but guess I would have to pay BT to run a fibre cable which is a straight 50m ish run.
Last time i checked on fibre costs it was around £100 Per meter (Cost price)......

That attachment looks interesting - where was that from please?

Back
Top Bottom