What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching broadband provider, any thoughts?

OK, watching on Ebay... £150 at Currys :oops:. This'll work OK with my FTTP hardware?

Ta.

I forget you're on fibre to the premises. I'll try and dig and old router out I have.

worth checking out the latest Ofcom report on connectivity. If you take the access limitations out BT's network outperforms all the other operators. Even some of our low speed products at 30M beat virgin at packet loss.

Neil.

worth checking out the latest Ofcom report on connectivity. If you take the access limitations out BT's network outperforms all the other operators. Even some of our low speed products at 30M beat virgin at packet loss.

Neil.
Would be interested to see that Neil if you have a link - In a purely professional capacity (Although all of my work is worldwide i.e. outside of the UK)... :)

the point I wanted to make was that the chances of changing provider and this fixing anything are slim unless it’s the Vodafone backhaul network that had a problem.

One thing to try when you have a problem - plug the hub into the master socket and disconnect any extension cabling - often that cable was put in years ago and in some cases isn’t great cable and just acts as a noise magnet.

Unfortunately, none of the providers collecting disgruntled customers are inclined to explain that changing provider but keeping the same underlying connection type will rarely give you a speed improvement.

If you have a newer house, then often the extension cabling (aka noise aerial!!) is wired into the back of the master socket - best thing to do is remove the frontplatm and connect into the socket that sits behind it. Try plugging a normal phone into the other extension points around the house and if you get a ringtone anywhere, you haven't disabled the extensions and are adding noise to the signal because of it.

@Neil McRae was going to send you PM but didn't get a reply to last one ;)

BT deal up on 11/08 and due to go up another £10 to £65 per month with is ridiculous. BT website says there are 6 options for my address from £31.99 pm (36mb) up to £59.99 pm (300mb) but when I speak to BT, they say there are no other options for me (!) despite what their website says and I'm being forced to go to £65 pm for current speed of 150mb. Sounds like extortion as BT know no-one else has access to the FTTP network here currently.

Not expecting you to resolve this or anything, but surely this is a case for Ofcom if BT don't resolve via formal complaint ?

I’ve really no idea! (Just in case you hadn’t noticed!) one guy talked about the RD gizmo another talked about it being a redline problem? One said no other provider would be any better another said BT would? I’ve got to try something? Yes openreach chap confirmed connection to master socket (actually fitted a new faceplate) annoyingly I now have my answer phone in my upstairs cupboard??? But i’ll Give anything a go they all talked about this making a difference but it still drops out regular?
Neil i’m Not moaning at you mate, gonna give BT a go surely it can’t be any worse?

Bit of an update (if anyone’s interested?) BT switch over was like a dream, i’ve Binned any extenders and just have BT’s hub and it’s all working great!!!! My lad can game on line even been watching films over the net!!!
All you hear about usually is people complaining but so far so good happy with BT!
And Vodafone have charged me £120 for leaving although they said they wouldn’t! Had a interesting conversation this morning so should be resolved.

Nice to hear for a change. Keep tabs on your hub as they drop off on wifi range over time. I'm on my fourth.

@Neil McRae was going to send you PM but didn't get a reply to last one ;)

BT deal up on 11/08 and due to go up another £10 to £65 per month with is ridiculous. BT website says there are 6 options for my address from £31.99 pm (36mb) up to £59.99 pm (300mb) but when I speak to BT, they say there are no other options for me (!) despite what their website says and I'm being forced to go to £65 pm for current speed of 150mb. Sounds like extortion as BT know no-one else has access to the FTTP network here currently.

Not expecting you to resolve this or anything, but surely this is a case for Ofcom if BT don't resolve via formal complaint ?

Not sure why? It’s not BT’s fault the other folks aren’t offering service over FTTP. And not sure the sales folks are as clued up as you think! But if you are at end of contract I’d have thought there would be offers.

I did email someone about this so let me go chase them.

Neil

Reactions: JMP
Im with Zen. Not the cheapest but they are super reliable. 100% unlimited too. Cant say I have ever noticed the speed dropping at peak times either.
+1 on Zen - not cheapest but come in at 38 squid if you dump the landline free calls (which no one uses) for Unlimited FTTC top package.
Been with them since the dawn of time and keep my static IP range
Two words - Customer service

Not that I'm going to defend BT, but if £60/month (inc VAT? so actual cost £50 and I'm guessing they gave you a router included?) is 'ridiculous' for a 300M fibre connection, what do you think is a reasonable cost for someone to provide you that amount of bandwidth?

Not that I'm going to defend BT, but if £60/month (inc VAT? so actual cost £50 and I'm guessing they gave you a router included?) is 'ridiculous' for a 300M fibre connection, what do you think is a reasonable cost for someone to provide you that amount of bandwidth?

You didn't read the post properly. I don't have 300MB and it's going up to £65 pm. The routers last a few months then the wifi range goes sh*te, I'm on my fourth in 2 years. If you think that's good when Virgin offer 350MB for £22 less, then give them your money..... and before you ask, I have FTTP and no other provider is accessing the network.

You didn't read the post properly. I don't have 300MB and it's going up to £65 pm. The routers last a few months then the wifi range goes sh*te, I'm on my fourth in 2 years. If you think that's good when Virgin offer 350MB for £22 less, then give them your money..... and before you ask, I have FTTP and no other provider is accessing the network.

Ah, OK, sorry. However 150M is still 2x the fastest VDSL speed available, so you're getting way more than most can - think yourself lucky to have the option!

Virgin deliver things differently, so pricing isn't reliant on Openreach access, but there is absolutely no way someone will offer you FTTP at 65-22=£43 unless they are doing it at a loss!

We don't really do FTTP as it is hard to make it viable and a lot of others have taken the same view, connection/cabling charges are variable and pretty huge where existing cabling/ducts aren't already in place which often leads to cancelled orders.

Even if you get past the installation costs, the wholesale price Openreach charge (once offers run out) for 330M/50M is nearly £40/month ex VAT. So, any ISP offering FTTP at the fast speeds to compete with that Virgin speed will have to be charging a consumer £45/month just to cover the monthly Openreach costs for access.

OK, well..... think you may be missing my main issue and what I'm trying to achieve; a reduced speed at lower cost.

BT website says I can have 6 options to my FTTP address starting from £32 for 36MB, speak to the BT personnel and they say I can't downgrade despite the fact I started out at a selected lower speed when first installed, despite what is states is available for my address on their BT website and despite my contract coming to end..... and it's going up a tenner a month.

:thumbs:

Working on it - can you PM me your phone number or account number please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1

I remember back in the day when I used to work for Gameplay (bought by Play) as a community helper.. they paid for my multilinked ISDN2e (a whole 128Kb/sec baby) and the phone bills for that were eye-watering (I would still get the bill, or rather my Dad did, and they would write me a cheque for it).. several hundred pounds a quarter.

And £60/month for 300Mbps (a whole 2,343% faster) is ridiculous. What a time to be alive. :)

(I pay £50/month for a 80/20 business FTTC line, for what it's worth)

+1
And £60/month for 300Mbps (a whole 2,343% faster) is ridiculous. What a time to be alive. :)

Someone else that can't read.... my 'ridiculous' comment was in relation to £65 pm for 150MB, solely in comparison to Virgin at £43 for 350MB. Whether or not it was more expensive back in the day, that comparison can't be ignored. ;)

Someone else that can't read.... my 'ridiculous' comment was in relation to £65 pm for 150MB, solely in comparison to Virgin at £43 for 350MB. Whether or not it was more expensive back in the day, that comparison can't be ignored. ;)
I just felt like telling my tale of woe from the old days. Kids today with phones faster than any computer I had etc.

I also didn't see your reply either.

:(

Ah no worries... progressing out of grump mode now that I've got new contract sorted.... as you were.

I still miss the noises of dialup.

Just the noises, mind you. Feck all else. Especially not pay-by-the-minute, nor the family wanting you off the net because you were tying up the house phone line.

Ah, OK, sorry. However 150M is still 2x the fastest VDSL speed available, so you're getting way more than most can - think yourself lucky to have the option!

Virgin deliver things differently, so pricing isn't reliant on Openreach access, but there is absolutely no way someone will offer you FTTP at 65-22=£43 unless they are doing it at a loss!

We don't really do FTTP as it is hard to make it viable and a lot of others have taken the same view, connection/cabling charges are variable and pretty huge where existing cabling/ducts aren't already in place which often leads to cancelled orders.

Even if you get past the installation costs, the wholesale price Openreach charge (once offers run out) for 330M/50M is nearly £40/month ex VAT. So, any ISP offering FTTP at the fast speeds to compete with that Virgin speed will have to be charging a consumer £45/month just to cover the monthly Openreach costs for access.

Just for the record I only pay £37.50 + VAT per month for 300Mbps symmetrical unlimited for FTTP with Gigaclear :)

Just for the record I only pay £37.50 + VAT per month for 300Mbps symmetrical unlimited for FTTP with Gigaclear :)

So will I be - if they ever actually get around to installing the cable! Been on the list for 18 months now :(
How have you found the connection with them?

Don't forget to use topcashback (or quidco) in the process and take that into account on apportioned monthly cost.. for example... £100 back or more on most Virgin connections

I use Vodafone at the moment, no problems at all

So will I be - if they ever actually get around to installing the cable! Been on the list for 18 months now :(
How have you found the connection with them?
They were two years later than their original promise in getting ours installed, but the service has been live now for over three years and has been superb. A couple of outages when house builders went through the fibres at the other end of the village but Gigaclear worked overnight to get everything back up again, and otherwise it has been flawless - full speed on every speedtest I have ever run. The only thing to be aware of is that the Genexis routers they use have feeble wireless coverage so if you want decent wifi expect to add some decent wired access points. I have a couple of Ubiquiti Unifi units wired back to the router (as well as CAT6 outlets all over the house) and can take full advantage of the speed. If you feel inclined to download a copy of the whole internet you can get a 48hr boost to 1Gbps for £5 too.

They were two years later than their original promise in getting ours installed, but the service has been live now for over three years and has been superb. A couple of outages when house builders went through the fibres at the other end of the village but Gigaclear worked overnight to get everything back up again, and otherwise it has been flawless - full speed on every speedtest I have ever run. The only thing to be aware of is that the Genexis routers they use have feeble wireless coverage so if you want decent wifi expect to add some decent wired access points. I have a couple of Ubiquiti Unifi units wired back to the router (as well as CAT6 outlets all over the house) and can take full advantage of the speed. If you feel inclined to download a copy of the whole internet you can get a 48hr boost to 1Gbps for £5 too.
Glad it's been reliable, that was my only concern as the price and the speeds look spot on, ordered the 500/500 for about £50 a month as I recall
Managed to get them to waive the install fee and put me in the trial for users that can put their modem into bridged mode meaning I should be able to terminate it directly on my firewall

I'm all ready, and won't be using their suppled device as anything other than a modem I hope - Got a virtualized Sophos XG appliance at the perimeter, 2x HP 1920 Switches and WLAN handled by an cluster 2x Aruba IAP 225s, internally it all works perfectly - all I need a connection that is faster the 10Mbps FTTC I get at the moment!

So just need the bloke with the digger to come about 3 miles up the road :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom