What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Indiana Jones Code Rewrite & Port Over Progress

Yes mine does need a update.
We played a four player game and during play player one had a few weird things happening like the plunge on player one was auto and it would not give a mode even when lit.
Also we just can't seem to get a ark of the covenant multiball.
Apart from that loving it. Looking forward to a update and hopefully will cure most of the faults.

Jim, Daz's never boots with sound and always need a reboot from the menu. Is this a common issue that's been resolved in the code update?

This is an os thing (linux), hence why a soft restart of the software fixes it as a workaround. I'm trying to understand why this happens at boot up on some machines. In fact i am working along side the code software on another os build to see if this resolves this. The later machines were built with an updated computer block (as manufacturers never make computer products for more than a year it seems) so i believe something is different internally on these compared with the earlier ones. Once i have a solution to this then everyone will get a free update, as i have done many times already with the game code.

Yes mine does need a update.
We played a four player game and during play player one had a few weird things happening like the plunge on player one was auto and it would not give a mode even when lit.
Also we just can't seem to get a ark of the covenant multiball.
Apart from that loving it. Looking forward to a update and hopefully will cure most of the faults.

Glad you are enjoying it as its a long journey with these things! Any issues reported i will endeavour to get to the bottom of! Plus it does help to improve things.

Current software is v0.6.2 with v0.7.0 coming soon (this month hopefully) so i'd check just to see what you are on. Have you updated since i installed it awhile back? From memory i think it was probably v0.6.0 at that time.

For ark release you need to qualify it which is done by completing 3 rounds of jones targets during a game. That will then open the ark at the next multiball along with launching all in the trough! Ark can be set to store 2-6 balls

Last edited:
Mine has not been updated since you installed it Jim.
Looking forward to v0.7.0 happy to wait till this is available.
I do need to get more in tune with the rule set, need to study it more.

Mine has not been updated since you installed it Jim.
Looking forward to v0.7.0 happy to wait till this is available.
I do need to get more in tune with the rule set, need to study it more.

Do you have the pdf that i wrote ?

attached below in case not. Anyone else who wants a read on what i created. Please feel free to download and read to :)

Attachments

• Indiana Jones Insert Instruction Cards.pdf
    251.3 KB · Views: 5
  • stern indy rewrite game rulesheet v1.01.pdf
    98.1 KB · Views: 5
What driver is being used for sound? Alsa?

Update from me.

Been testing the upcoming 0.7.0 update out along with working on a few new hardware items.

Found a few bugs in other modes that i've been ironing out

The new POA mode is now working pretty well and interacting with the other game features nicely. Things get complex pretty quick with stacked modes and what happens when other modes start or are lit. Of course you could just make things mutually exclusive but that not how i've created this or how i wan thte game to be. I much prefer features to be queued or paused when not able to be stacked so you don't lose things you've qualified etc.

Current update list for v0.7.0 is

v0.7.0 Update

- Added Path Of Adventure Mode. Shot Right Ramp to Start when ADVENTURE letters are completed
- Improved randomness of Choose Wisely sequencing
- Improved Speech sync in Choose Wisely for 'Chosen Poorly'
- Fix a bug that could cause a mode to end as soon as started (Another one!)
- Improved the timing for ball eject when Get the idol is completed
- Improved the Flasher use for POA ready and Adventure Continue
- Fixed an issue with Warehouse Raid where the multiball ball save wasnt working for the 1st ball drained
- Improved interaction with starting a mode and adventures that are continuing

If everything checks out over the next few days (this weekend) then i'll be launching the update at the end of the weekend.

I've also been playing a load of 3 and 4 player games to spot any issues with players changing or these phantom ball launches reported occasionally, but i'm ****ed if i can spot anything wrong! Will keep play testing though. My thought with this is must be related to a previous multiball round where a timer wasn't cancelled.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.19.08.png

Update v0.7.0 is now out and available for download from the shared area

Update notes:

v0.7.0 Update

- Added Path Of Adventure Mode. Shot Right Ramp to Start when ADVENTURE letters are completed
- Improved randomness of Choose Wisely sequencing
- Improved Speech sync in Choose Wisely for 'Chosen Poorly'
- Fix a bug that could cause a mode to end as soon as started (Another one!)
- Improved the timing for ball eject when Get the idol is completed
- Improved the Flasher use for POA ready and Adventure Continue
- Fixed an issue with Warehouse Raid where the multiball ball save wasnt working for the 1st ball drained
- Improved interaction with starting a mode and adventures that are continuing
- Improved the eject from the grail scoop after video modes are finished. Eject now runs same as other ejects and with the proper delay.
- Added some extra clearing of tracking flags for multiball end where the players ball ends before multiball has a chance to be properly started. This could have caused extra balls to be served and autolaunched to the next player on a multiplayer game. Rare event but still possible!
- Fixed a bug with some music scene restarts where the wrong music was being restarted

Last edited:
I have also update the rule sheet document to include the new Path of Adventure mode.

See here for an excerpt

Path of Adventure!
Complete green A-D-V-E-N-T-U-R-E Targets to lite path (Right Ramp). Make Right Ramp to start. The ball is held on the ramp momentarily and then released as you are presented with 6 lit arrows to shoot within a preset time. Completing all 6 shots lights the ramp again to progress up a level. JONES targets are strobing. Hitting the lit JONES target will complete the next available arrow shot for you instantly (from left to right). There is also a way to earn smart bombs for use in this mode from other places in the game. Keep an eye out!. Smart bombs are used via the tournament button as per the Jones vs Aliens mode. A Smart bomb will instantly complete the level you are on and lite the ramp for progression to the next.

@replicas. This update will not solve the sound boot up issue as i need to look at some os settings on the computer directly. Maybe you could drop the computer to me and i can sort this issue and update the code at the same time sometime or post it over?

Also, for info if updating form v0.6.0 yourself you will need to run each update separately in order. i.e v0.6.1 then v0.6.2 then v0.7.0 (if you are on v0.6.0). I may start making updates universal in the future but thats not the case at the moment

When I get the game back to mine I will have a drive over with the computer for you to update.
I take it it's something that can be done there and then ?
Looking forward to having it fully updated and back at mine.

When I get the game back to mine I will have a drive over with the computer for you to update.

What I may do is exchange it for one of the newer computers I’m creating for new kits that are already updated to v0.7.0 so I have time to properly investigate why the sound boot thing occurred on that hardware on not on mine.

Note the second to last update note to. Played a load of multiplayer games and will continue to play more as I release future updates

Whilst I remember are you still thinking of making some custom art for the game? New backboard decal to? Cab art?

Will let you know once I have machine here then I can sort out when is best to nip over to you.

Whilst I remember are you still thinking of making some custom art for the game? New backboard decal to? Cab art?
Yes, I'm going to be doing something but it's going to be a good while before I get on with it. Think it might need some pointers on the playfields artwork so need to learn the rules inside out before I can even think about doing anything.

@replicas. This update will not solve the sound boot up issue as i need to look at some os settings on the computer directly. Maybe you could drop the computer to me and i can sort this issue and update the code at the same time sometime or post it over?

Also, for info if updating form v0.6.0 yourself you will need to run each update separately in order. i.e v0.6.1 then v0.6.2 then v0.7.0 (if you are on v0.6.0). I may start making updates universal in the future but thats not the case at the moment

Is this fault where you start the machine up, and the game plays with no sound? mine does it on the odd occasion, but a quick reboot and it has sound again

Is this fault where you start the machine up, and the game plays with no sound? mine does it on the odd occasion, but a quick reboot and it has sound again
Yeah it appears that on a couple of newer computers the sound won't start straight off until you do a software reboot. It maybe that i need a delay in there before starting the game code at initial power on for these later machines to allow the sound hardware to bully boot, but i won't know until i have a look here. My game (as per usual) has no such problem!

I am working on a new computer hardware and setup build as mentioned on the discussion area anyway, as computers never stay static for long nor does the linux os.

Yes, I'm going to be doing something but it's going to be a good while before I get on with it. Think it might need some pointers on the playfields artwork so need to learn the rules inside out before I can even think about doing anything.

Start with this.

Attachments

• stern indy rewrite game rulesheet v1.02.pdf
    98.5 KB · Views: 3
Some pics of the development going on for updates on new computer setups plus i am working on experiments to see if the newest rPi computer will run the game code fattest enough yet (i try out every new release from them)

IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG

Also for @replicas i have a new full image build for shuttleds81 run machines, which yours is one, that solves the intermittent sound boot issue. I have had to create a brand new image for the setup as the linux version refused to update the drivers needed for the later computers properly. This was the issue. I tried everything, but in the end a fresh install and new build was the only way to solve it. Seems the audio drivers on linux are embedded deep inside the main kernel and no amount of updating solves it, it just bricks everything. Thanks linux!!

Anyway, long story short, if you bring your machine over sometime i can run the imager on it and update the full thing then and there, or swap out the ssd for another already updated. This will also include the latest game code at the same time

Some good progress on the rPi build today. Been testing this idea out for the last 3 or so years every time a new machine is released.

see here on my instagram account

Still trying to optimise and drag every last bit of horsepower out of this little thing. If it works out then this could seriously reduce the cost of kits, along with my new hardware board.

Video of Indy running from a new raspberry pi. Got it running pretty nicely now with a lot of recoding of the display engine. (Sound quality on video isn't the best but thats my lack of twitch stream skills!)

Ive had to create a brand new image for the setup as the linux version refused to update the drivers needed for the later computers properly. This was the issue. I tried everything, but in the end a fresh install and new build was the only way to solve it. Seems the audio drivers on linux are embedded deep inside the main kernel and no amount of updating solves it, it just bricks everything. Thanks linux!!

What version of 'nix are you running?

Working on some new things for indy.

First up is some good old house keeping. Adding another test to the test modes. This time, trough test. You can test everything via the other std switch and coil tests, but this is nicer and is useful for helping solve niggly trough problems. As games get older this is more useful to.

Some screenshots of the dmd screens i created today.

Screenshot 2018-06-15 14.44.46.png

Looks like it could be very useful. Troughs can be a nightmare especially on older Sterns.
Nice work once again Jim.

Back
Top Bottom