What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Avengers 2020

Agreed but it’s also clear that this game didn’t get the play testing that a normal Stern game gets - likely because of the virus for sure. Too many areas for stuck balls and too many post sale fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed but it’s also clear that this game didn’t get the play testing that a normal Stern game gets - likely because of the virus for sure. Too many areas for stuck balls and too many post sale fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Simple answer = Stern shouldnt of released it so quickly. Was a very short time after Turtles. The company also damaged Turtles saying by releasing it so close.

CV19 is getting blamed for everything. It is clear in bad customer service it is a good scapegoat. Like 'oh, due to CV19 we can not get thru to the manufacturer......', 'due to CV19 your parcel will take longer to ship' - sorry but that is a bad excuse.

Those games got play tested in designers homes just like Turtles did. Do not forget Stern designers team up together, Elwins team are seperate to Borgs team, and I can not imagine them sitting on their backsides for 3 months doing nothing whilst Borgs lot are busy at it. I bet prototypes got put into at least 5 homes over lock down.

Simple answer = Stern shouldnt of released it so quickly. Was a very short time after Turtles. The company also damaged Turtles saying by releasing it so close.

CV19 is getting blamed for everything. It is clear in bad customer service it is a good scapegoat. Like 'oh, due to CV19 we can not get thru to the manufacturer......', 'due to CV19 your parcel will take longer to ship' - sorry but that is a bad excuse.

Those games got play tested in designers homes just like Turtles did. Do not forget Stern designers team up together, Elwins team are seperate to Borgs team, and I can not imagine them sitting on their backsides for 3 months doing nothing whilst Borgs lot are busy at it. I bet prototypes got put into at least 5 homes over lock down.
Elwin definitely had an AIQ at home, it’s the one Jack is now using to stream.

And couldn’t agree more covid is the go to excuse at the minute. Stranger Things had issues following launch and theres still a tonne of people who can’t dial that mag lock in 100% and that was before covid.

Stern just don’t play test games like they used to, it’s been common knowledge for years they stopped a lot of their site testing. Every stern seems to have issues and fix kits some more than others but they all have time.

I can't say it was rushed, that would be an easy comment to make; but developing it from home meant less people would have played the game.

I can't say it was rushed, that would be an easy comment to make; but developing it from home meant less people would have played the game.
well a lot of people at home are experiencing broken subways, this MUST have been happening for them too and they didn't fix it. That doesn't take 1000's of played games.

I've got to say that the Pro I have on loan here hasn't skipped a beat since I took it out of the box.

The only thing that I've noticed is that the ball hits the glass occasionally but that's to be expected considering the speed of the games and all of the ramps.

Elwin definitely had an AIQ at home, it’s the one Jack is now using to stream.

And couldn’t agree more covid is the go to excuse at the minute. Stranger Things had issues following launch and theres still a tonne of people who can’t dial that mag lock in 100% and that was before covid.

Stern just don’t play test games like they used to, it’s been common knowledge for years they stopped a lot of their site testing. Every stern seems to have issues and fix kits some more than others but they all have time.
Just a thought, but aren't experts like Elwin slightly poor choices as testers? Sure, they'll play a lot, but they tend to hit the shots. You need duffers like me who miss shots to find places where balls stick (but then the increased practice is going to automatically limit the length of time somebody can be a good tester).

Pretty sure mines the same, have you tried turning the auto plunger power down? It worked for a load of guys over on pinside.

Yes, I've tried that. When reduced to 220 it usually makes it around the ramp to the right flipper from a launch but still ends up with balls under the gauntlet. At 200, it never makes it up the ramp, and I've still had the ball stuck. It is a deflection issue on exit from the shooter lane, the ball ends up going left, smashing the plastic and bouncing up under the gauntlet instead of dropping down into the orbit. I'll try and setup my phone later on a super slo-mo and record a few games to see if I can capture exactly what's happening, but it is the exiting too far left that is causing it.

I've ordered some plastic stick on things to try to block the area (and the pop bumper where it is getting stuck).

Seems like my portal is now not level on the play field either as the left side is sitting a little proud with the result that if using the upper flipper, an early shot (to spin the disc) gets air, hits the underside of the glass and can end up back in the shooter lane.

Does anyone have one of the Pinmonk silent PSU fans they want to get rid of? The noise from the fan is quite annoying

V0.94.0 - November 24th, 2020
=============================
- Secret Skill Shot - adding a second Secret Skill Shot
- Drop Targets - added flash effects when targets are hit or bank is completed on flasher above the Drop Targets
- Combos - added a sound effect at the instant a combo is achieved
- Time Gem - when placed on Captain America shot Pop Bumpers now add time (1 sec for < level 1, 2 sec for level 1, 3 sec for level 2)
- Time Gem - fixed an issue when placed on Hulk spinner, shots were adding time per spin
- Time Gem - fixed an issue when placed on the Drop Targets, completions would not add time
- Reality Gem - fixed an issue when placed on Drop Targets completions would sometimes be double counted
- Reality Gem - changed shot multipliers to uncollected: 2x, collected: 3x, level 1: 4x, level 2: 5x
- Mind Gem - fixed an issue with Mind Gem spotted shots not taking Quest Portal Lock multipliers into account
- Mind Gem - changed Mind Gem when placed on Drop Targets, now only gives you 1 use
- Mind Gem - when placed on Drop Targets the Action Button controls the lit square but no longer subtracts from use count
- Soul Gem Jackpot - show shot multiplier on display if there is any
- Soul Gem Jackpot - fixed an issue where the jackpot value was being calculated and not rounding score to the nearest 10 properly
- Black Panther Shot - no longer allows chaining repeat shots together to advance counts (similar to how Black Widow shot works)
- Iron Man Shot - now takes 2 completions instead of 1 to power up to Level 2
- Time Gem Quest - only disables the Drop Target bank during the Drop Target phase of the mode (instead of the entire mode)
- Mind Gem Quest - the Controlled Avenger arrow is now blinking faster and if shot all 3 phases, the final Sanctum shot is spotted for you
- Space Gem Quest - increased scoring a bit for this mode
- Super Disc - remove shaker motor during award... causes endless feedback loop of shaker -> award -> shaker -> award
- Mystery - fixed an issue where 'Bonus Held' award was never getting awarded
- Spot Iron - added Spot Iron difficulty adjustment and defaults to EASY which will keep Spot Iron lit when the game starts until you light lock the first time
- Iron Man Multiball - increased starting jackpot value to 1M
- Iron Man Multiball - now each disc tick increments jackpot value 5K
- Iron Man Multiball - Strange spellout removed, complete 2 jackpots for each phase to light the Tower Super Jackpot Phase
- Iron Man Multiball - Tower Super Jackpot phase now must be completed before the next phase starts
- Iron Man Multiball - added a sound effect for the disc spin in the Super Jackpot phase
- Iron Man Multiball - display information updated with new instructions and better information
- Iron Man Multiball - display priority increased so background information shows up over stacked Quests
- Iron Man Multiball - increased default Tower Super Jackpot and Disc Super Jackpot timers a few seconds
- Iron Man Multiball - added audible timer countdown for Super Jackpots
- Iron Man Multiball - Tower Super scoring is now 2x-4x Jackpot Value and increases to 3x-5x when Iron Man is powered up to Level 2
- Iron Man Multiball - Disc Super Jackpot scoring is now 50K per disc tick (from 25K), increases to 2x when Iron Man is powered up to Level 2
- Iron Man Multiball - Jackpot Value is reset after each Disc Super Jackpot is collected with a permanent bump of 250K for each Tower or Disc Super Jackpot
- Thor Multiball - now allows you to collect the rest of the lit jackpots if you light Mjolnir, once they are all unlit you must then hit Mjolnir to relight them
- Avenger Level Bonus - fixed a issue where the value would be calculated wrong if many Avengers were powered up to Level 2
- Soul Gem Mode - fixed an issue where flips were being removed before the intro completes
- Black Order Multiball - added sound effects when Drop Targets are completed
- Battle Royale Challenge - fixed an issue where the total speech would not end before game transitioned to Match screen
- Battle Royale Challenge - fixed an issue where award display effect would sometimes play in Attract mode after you forced end game with Start + Left Flipper
- Battle Royale Challenge - fixed an issue where winning would collect balls and kick out and plunge the ball right away instead of waiting for the total screen to complete
- Battle Royale Challenge - fixed an issue where intro video would not play if challenge mode was played before
- Computer Grid - added 'Light Computer Frenzy' which is now just a normal bingo award that is part of the list
- Computer Grid - when you complete Grid Awards and reach then end of the list it will continue to keep adding more Light Computer Frenzy awards until you collect at least one
- Computer Grid - collecting Light Computer Frenzy lights at Portal, but you can keep collecting more Light Computer Frenzy awards and those will make Computer Frenzy start with +1 ball per completion
- Computer Grid - you must still play all 6 super modes to re-enable the normal computer list awards, otherwise you will just get 5 millions
- Computer Grid - if you complete 6 modes before getting Computer Frenzy, you must play Computer Frenzy first before new awards show up again
- Computer Grid - unused 'Light Computer Frenzy' squares get turned into 5 millions when you start Computer Frenzy
- Computer Frenzy Multiball - don't allow Quests to stack with this mode
- Computer Frenzy Multiball - hold the ball and don't launch any from the trough until the intro screen display effect finishes
- Gem Mania - collecting all 6 topper gems begins this mode when the last Gem is collected
- Trophy Mania - no longer reseting wizard mode order after Trophy Mania
- Trophies - fixed an issue where sometimes Trophies could be downgraded
- Shield Bonus - added high score champion
- Gamma Ray - fixed an issue where when you start Change Gems you have to wait until entire Gamma Ray finishes
- Attract Mode - adding conditional topper mode status page
- Attract Mode - adding conditional Challenge Mode / Normal Mode page
- Strange Motor - fixed an issue where Strange Motor goes up when grace period of modes are still going
- Strange Disc Diagnostic - fixed an issue with missing strings for non English languages
- Light Shows - adding many more light shows
- Speech - adding many more speech calls
- Topper - adding a few more topper light shows

- Adjustment Changes:
- added 'SPOT IRON DIFFICULTY' defaults to EASY, can be set to HARD to revert to previous behavior
- added 'GEM MANIA BALL SAVE TIMER' defaults to 30 seconds
- added 'GEM MANIA ADD-A-BALL TIME' defaults to 15 seconds
- added standard champion adjustments for Gem Mania
- added standard champion adjustments for Shield Bonus

- System - Updated to V2.63.0

- Secret Skill Shot - adding a second Secret Skill Shot

Well, I'd like to say I found this through skilful experimentation of the initial shots available, though an inability to hit the shot I'm aiming for may be slightly closer to the truth!

Must admit, I'm struggling to figure out where/why/when to put gems and can't even really decide which one to go for first most games!

red gem on marvel ramp worked for me, although only pulled it off a couple of times

Well, I'd like to say I found this through skilful experimentation of the initial shots available, though an inability to hit the shot I'm aiming for may be slightly closer to the truth!

Must admit, I'm struggling to figure out where/why/when to put gems and can't even really decide which one to go for first most games!
My strategy with order of gems.

First get enough combos to light portal lock.
Then play reality gem (yellow).
Place gem on black panther for multiplied scores.
Then play mind gem (blue), coupled with Thor mb,
Place gem on Hulk.
Then play time Space (purple). Space gem on Hulk makes completing this easy.
Place gem on drops
Then time gem (orange) with IM MB
Place gem on Black widow.
Place Soul Gem on Captain Marvel (easy shot on Pro)
Finally play power (red)
Use space gem to rotate gems and place on Black Widow (this avoids having to hit Captain America), this will also mean reality gem is on drops.
😁

I've got to say that this game is really growing on me. I still don't really understand what's going on or have time to look at the screen but the shots are very good and it's fast, fast, fast with excellent multiballs.

I'm clearly doing something right because I've beaten my high score on consecutive days.

For those people having issues with the plunge rattling and not making it round the orbit/ramp I think I've found your problem, by accidentally creating it, then solving it.

I had the playfield up for the first time since playing over 500 games without issue, I just wanted to clean it and give the feed from the gauntlet ramp a little tweak.

When I lifted the playfield I noticed a nut missing from the guide 20201126_214555.jpg
So rather than going straight on Pinside to complain of the build quality I fitted a nut and tightened it down.
This now meant that the guide had no side to side play in it, and also inadvertently raised the guide higher further up the playfield.
20201126_214525.jpg
When I put everything back together and played some games almost half of the balls from the auto plunge rattled and came back down the right orbit.

So I went back under the playfield and removed the nut. In the half dozen or so games I've played since no issues with the ball rattling.

As an aside it also means that there is a little give in the guide meaning that if you shoot the orbit slightly late it doesn't bounce off the guide as much and has more chance of making the shot.

I know some have added a washer under this peg to try and stop and pooling or chipping, in doing so it looks like you've created the problem

Pic from above where the 'floating' peg on the guide is.
20201126_214615.jpg

I also slightly adjusted the wire guide from the gauntlet/side ramp and now have a near perfect feed to the flipper every time.

The only 'problem' I now have is the drop from the tower seems to be bouncing away from the flipper a bit more making the Hawkeye shot virtually impossible 😕

@Wayne J - how about putting a small rubber under it? Would that help?
I don't think it needs anything. It's far enough above the playfield that any movement won't scratch it, and as the peg is through the hole it can't move laterally enough to adversely affect anything either, nor get permanently out of shape due to the spring in the metal.

Unless you're talking about the tower, in which case I don't think it can be done, I'll take a few slo-mo videos to try and determine what the problem is, it's only just started. Maybe some dirt on the magnet core meaning the ball isn't held centrally, I can't imagine it being deformed yet.

I also went to change the coil stop, as the Stern ones are notorious for being crap.
When I came to remove them they had been loctited in place, both on the plate and the thread in the screws, I've never seen that before.
As it happens the coil stop was still in perfect condition , no brass filings in the cabinet so I left them.

Cheers Wayne, mine doesn't have anything on that post under the playfield but still fires the ball into the plastic instead of the lane.

I've done some more testing and it happens both on an auto plunge and on a manual plunge

Here's a SloMo of it happening and it is pretty regular - I spent 2 minutes and fifteen plunges to get this to happen. When playing it seems pretty common on multi balls, but I guess there's a lot of launches going on due to ball save, so probably expected.

I'm the same with BTTF, but the eternal dilemma is would you prefer a packed JJP game or a slick Elwin stern BTTF that has less assets? We'll see I guess. Avengers is cool though. If you're in the midlands post lockdown drop by.
Slightly off topic, but anyone else know that Needles in BTTF II is Flea out of Red Hot Chilli Peppers?
CA8BEB99-6C6C-49E3-A94F-5C9D6FD52897.jpeg0E867E76-EB8A-4F17-B82D-635DF3D275B0.jpeg

Anthony Keidis RHCP In Point Break.
The beach fight scene + house fight scenes were great 👍
Maybe someone will do RHCP....D181A31B-4492-4340-90C6-4DA5367B6357.jpeg

Anyone had their new subway yet or know of an eta? I wondered if the tax thing will be causing an issue.

Anyone got a topper on the way or had it arrive yet? Not hearing great things from pinside.

Back
Top Bottom