What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Avengers 2020

I bet Mezel are rubbing their yellow hands together at the thought of producing an alternative marigold glove festooned with a few midget gems.

suspect Stern knows this, those that care will get something, those that don't won't

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic, are Stern releasing games with side art blades, coloured trim and toppers (so close after release) to try and shut down the people selling mods?

I doubt it, suspect as they realise there is money in these mods getting them approved at the same time as the main game and out early makes sense - but someone is always going to make a cheaper mod than those. They are probably trying to just maximise what they can sell. Last few games the mods have come out pretty quickly, plunger, slide blades, toppers seem to be the variable.

I’m not always Stern’s biggest cheerleader and I agree with many of the criticisms raised both in this thread and elsewhere - but Pinside has reminded me that JJP posted this ‘Teaser’ video the day that TMNT was announced:

3.5 months later Stern have revealed another great looking game and absolute radio silence from JJP. I love my POTC but honestly, what are they doing here? They were talking about three machines a year not long ago and it’s almost been a year and a half since Wonka was announced. How did they not get out in front of todays reveal to try to nab some sales? I just can’t get my head around it.

Last edited:
I’m not always Stern’s biggest cheerleader and I agree with many of the criticisms raised both in this thread and elsewhere - but Pinside has reminded me that JJP posted this ‘Teaser’ video the day that TMNT was announced:

3.5 months later Stern have revealed another great looking game and absolute radio silence from JJP. I love my POTC but honestly, what are they doing here? They were talking about three machines a year not long ago and it’s almost been a year and a half since Wonka was announced. How did they not get out in front of todays reveal to try to nab some sales? I just can’t get my head around it.

They're 100% missing out because I'd have pre-ordered by now but have purchased something else instead.

I don't know the release schedule but it seems as if Black Knight, Elvira, JP, Stranger Things & Turtles have all been relatively recent which is highly impressive in terms of development & production.

They're 100% missing out because I'd have pre-ordered by now but have purchased something else instead.

I don't know the release schedule but it seems as if Black Knight, Elvira, JP, Stranger Things & Turtles have all been relatively recent which is highly impressive in terms of development & production.

All those are March 2019 onwards, full list of Stern releases in first post of this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history.

Last edited:
I keep looking at the layout and thinking TMNT would have benefited from this! The hulk thing a spining pizza and secret entrance sewer Lid leading to their underground lair, the wireforms a kinda skateboarding park which theme wise just fits. Its like they designed the layout then decided on a theme IMO
im not bashing TMNT here just thinking this is kinda what I was expecting it to look like layout wise when 1st announced.
Either way looks a fun layout no matter the theme and I think like TMNT the yellow will look better in the flesh as Stern can do some nice powder coating when they try

exactly what I was thinking. this looks like a turtles layout which didn’t get chosen crazily , then reused in a late addition/filler game.

That does look miuch better than the yellow. Neil, did you mock that up yourself (in which case what software did you use to change the colour of just the metalwork to purple) or just find it on pinside?

that I stole of pinside but its pretty straightforward to do with photoshop - I don't have photoshop but have requested it through work so if you want other colours I might be able to do it later today.

but you can get a Wonka :rofl:

With Jack's involvement in JJP less and less they seem to be making worse and worse decisions. Even if they announce a new game today, I suspect the earliest that you will get it is January.

^^^^^^ If you go onto JJP Facebook, sadly it’s getting tiresome.
There’s only so much Wonka 🍭 I can stomach!
Move on , where’s the new pin FFS!

With different colour powder coating, I would say its best to wait to see the game in the flesh - as photos/videos did not do Turtles justice in my opinion.
You can always change it. Not a biggy.
Powder coating at £100-150 is hardly a big percentage of your investment.

^^^^^^ If you go onto JJP Facebook, sadly it’s getting tiresome.
There’s only so much Wonka 🍭 I can stomach!
Move on , where’s the new pin FFS!
But if Wonka's are still selling - which they clearly are as they are still manufacturing, why would you release a new game now?

But if Wonka's are still selling - which they clearly are as they are still manufacturing, why would you release a new game now?

The same reason Stern have released Avengers when presumably TMNT, Stranger Things etc are still selling - to capture additional sales from people not interested in the theme / who have already purchased the game and still have space and disposable income before they fill that space / spend that money on a new game from another manufacturer or on an older game on the secondary market.

When JJP are ready they'll release a game. People will want it and buy it, perhaps selling other games to fund it. No-one really "steals" another brands sale by releasing a game earlier, they might just delay it a bit. You might not buy their game straight away but you'll make room for it when you're ready. JJP marketing with that teaser was horrific tho, and their tight-lipped, zero information to customers is also pretty frustrating, but only because they have fans who want to buy their games and are excited for whatever the next release will be, GnR or TS, but these fans will buy it and all will be forgotten, until the next time!

They aren’t though. But JJP ordered 3000 of them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When JJP are ready they'll release a game. People will want it and buy it, perhaps selling other games to fund it. No-one really "steals" another brands sale by releasing a game earlier, they might just delay it a bit. You might not buy their game straight away but you'll make room for it when you're ready. JJP marketing with that teaser was horrific tho, and their tight-lipped, zero information to customers is also pretty frustrating, but only because they have fans who want to buy their games and are excited for whatever the next release will be, GnR or TS, but these fans will buy it and all will be forgotten, until the next time!

Not sure I agree on the first point if you have a one or two game collections - plus the flip side of JJP is then showing a game and then taking a year and a half to then making it available for sale and stripping out all of the good features.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that the sheer rate that Stern are putting out games can't help but have some impact on future JJP sales - there isn't an infinite amount of NIB buyers and lots of people seem to have gone for one of the last few Stern releases because they're tired of waiting. Also, I assume that JJP don't just want trickle sales, they'll want large upfront sales driven by the excitement of the new release.

Either way, I fully agree on one thing - if it wasn't for that teaser for nothing dropping three months ago I wouldn't have even brought it up. Who teases an announcement then goes silent for three months? That isn't how teasers work.

Wonder if Toppers will remain as exclusive as
They are today -...

No @BigIan - I think they’ll get a year to two at least increasing the distribution numbers whilst at the same price, the price is held up today due to rarity. I’m asking if that’s the next cash grab.

Back
Top Bottom