What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Avengers 2020

I believe that was the intent, do I believe the execution works, less so; the physics work though.

its so you can hit it from a wider set of angles...
From what I've seen, I think its a superb design, extremely inventive, probably my favourite thing about the whole game. It's definitely makeable from all 3 flippers and looping that ramp with the top flipper looks super fun, but tricky. That would have been impossible on a normal ramp from that top flipper. Raymond managed about 10 in a row on the first stream. Very cool

From what I've seen, I think its a superb design, extremely inventive, probably my favourite thing about the whole game. It's definitely makeable from all 3 flippers and looping that ramp with the top flipper looks super fun, but tricky. That would have been impossible on a normal ramp from that top flipper. Raymond managed about 10 in a row on the first stream. Very cool
A player like myself would probably be lucky to hit 2 or maybe 3 in a row. That dude Raymond is a god amongst us mere mortals when it comes to flipping pins.
So much as I love the theme and layout of Avengers more than anything else I’ve seen the past 12mth I’m sitting in my hands until I play it.
Owning IMDN and the frustration it causes me due to some of the tight shots, very tricky combos and clunky newton ballache That registers when it likes coupled with how annoying I found JP to be with that jeep I’m gonna reserve judgement till I actually flip avengers for myself.
Each new Stern Pin release is the best thing ever till it gets out in the wild and then all of a sudden it will be “this ramp is too steep” “that guide needs adjusting to atomic tolerances before it makes the loop” ect ect ect.
I really hope it is the next modern classic but unless I can be entertained and not frustrated I’ll wait till the next best thing which will be just around the corner like Avengers was to TMNT

A player like myself would probably be lucky to hit 2 or maybe 3 in a row. That dude Raymond is a god amongst us mere mortals when it comes to flipping pins.
So much as I love the theme and layout of Avengers more than anything else I’ve seen the past 12mth I’m sitting in my hands until I play it.
Owning IMDN and the frustration it causes me due to some of the tight shots, very tricky combos and clunky newton ballache That registers when it likes coupled with how annoying I found JP to be with that jeep I’m gonna reserve judgement till I actually flip avengers for myself.
Each new Stern Pin release is the best thing ever till it gets out in the wild and then all of a sudden it will be “this ramp is too steep” “that guide needs adjusting to atomic tolerances before it makes the loop” ect ect ect.
I really hope it is the next modern classic but unless I can be entertained and not frustrated I’ll wait till the next best thing which will be just around the corner like Avengers was to TMNT

I love JP but it can be brutal although I think it's fair. The right orbit shot is tight and very difficult but I don't find it punishes me and drains if I miss it.

That being said owning Deadpool has been a real eye opener. Everyone can play it, everyone loves it and I've not had to adjust a single thing. It's difficult enough to make wizard mode a challenge but easy and fun enough for a novice to hit shots.

I totally get what you're saying about testing the Avengers first. That being said I do think it looks to be an improvement on Turtles.

When Turtles was first leaked I was so in love with the theme I got a little carried away. Very nearly bought one without having played it. Ended up with (GOAT pinball!!!) J-Park and couldn't be happier. I was a little worried Elwin might be doing Back to the Future which would be an absolute must buy but I can deal with skipping Avengers, certainly in the short term. Plus maybe the Pro a little too trimmed back?

When Turtles was first leaked I was so in love with the theme I got a little carried away. Very nearly bought one without having played it. Ended up with (GOAT pinball!!!) J-Park and couldn't be happier. I was a little worried Elwin might be doing Back to the Future which would be an absolute must buy but I can deal with skipping Avengers, certainly in the short term. Plus maybe the Pro a little too trimmed back?

I'm lucky that I've never watched Turtles or Avengers so can at least be impartial and view the pins purely from a playing perspective.

Guns and Roses will be an entirely different proposition. I must be disciplined 😂

I'm lucky that I've never watched Turtles or Avengers so can at least be impartial and view the pins purely from a playing perspective.

Guns and Roses will be an entirely different proposition. I must be disciplined 😂

Yeah I'm such a Turtles nut the gameplay was kinda secondary. Don't get me wrong, game looks fun but maybe a bit lacking compared to the really top tier modern Stern's.

As for GnR, great theme. Appetite for Destruction was one of the first cassettes I ever owned. I dig it but having had a Iron Maiden and a Metallica I'm not mega excited by another music pin. That said it's cool and JJP will likely do it justice you'd imagine, if they ever get the it released. I always wanted a Wonka just down to theme/Gene Wilder but I've heard mixed things.

Yeah, it does look empty, like that Star Wars home pin thingy. If you were in the market for a new Stern Pro then Avengers would be behind quite a few I think . . . .Premium and it's front of the queue.

I would go premium also but in the uk the premium is often the worst seller on the 3 due to most people who really want it buy an le others are happy with pro the premium always lags out in the middle on most titles

I would go premium also but in the uk the premium is often the worst seller on the 3 due to most people who really want it buy an le others are happy with pro the premium always lags out in the middle on most titles

I totally agree mate. This is the first game where I've been remotely tempted by a premium and dismissive of a pro.

Entire first 3 batches of the game are sold out including premium - so in the US if you want a premium now they are quoting March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Entire first 3 batches of the game are sold out including premium - so in the US if you want a premium now they are quoting March!

i think that’s because the premium is not scheduled till late October
I have seen the production line schedule for the next 8 months and it’s packed with back order stuff plus another run of bm66 and there new game in dec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I'm such a Turtles nut the gameplay was kinda secondary. Don't get me wrong, game looks fun but maybe a bit lacking compared to the really top tier modern Stern's.

As for GnR, great theme. Appetite for Destruction was one of the first cassettes I ever owned. I dig it but having had a Iron Maiden and a Metallica I'm not mega excited by another music pin. That said it's cool and JJP will likely do it justice you'd imagine, if they ever get the it released. I always wanted a Wonka just down to theme/Gene Wilder but I've heard mixed things.

I think Lawlor has produced a mixed bag to be honest. Some great games and some very average.

I was born in the early 70's so Wonka was a very iconic film for me and captured the very essence of being a kid. I was also slightly too old to get involved in the Turtles craze so never watched any of it. I'm aware of the contradiction but I view Turtles as a bit of a kids theme where as Wonka is nostalgia 😂

The Wonka machines (and most JJP's) are works of art. I want it to be the best pinball in the world but I fear it isn't. I often wonder if they hired the wrong designer because Ritchie, Gomez & Elwin are decent. Maybe this Meunier fella will do the business with G&R . . . . I really do hope so.

It it's a choice between a fast game and lots of ramps with Avengers and a complicated, clunky but beautiful with G&R I'd choose the Stern.

I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet I would play them both just because the playfield is bare doesn’t always mean it’s a poor game

To be honest mate and judging by what Neil says it's a long wait anyway. If the waiting list is March it sort of makes the decision for you, I'd buy an alternative machine now rather than wait 6 months.

I think Lawlor has produced a mixed bag to be honest. Some great games and some very average.

I was born in the early 70's so Wonka was a very iconic film for me and captured the very essence of being a kid. I was also slightly too old to get involved in the Turtles craze so never watched any of it. I'm aware of the contradiction but I view Turtles as a bit of a kids theme where as Wonka is nostalgia 😂

The Wonka machines (and most JJP's) are works of art. I want it to be the best pinball in the world but I fear it isn't. I often wonder if they hired the wrong designer because Ritchie, Gomez & Elwin are decent. Maybe this Meunier fella will do the business with G&R . . . . I really do hope so.

It it's a choice between a fast game and lots of ramps with Avengers and a complicated, clunky but beautiful with G&R I'd choose the Stern.

Lawlor is often a bit stop starty isn't he. Not a massive fan of any of his games I don't think. I was really in love with Addams in my early pinball days, mainly down to toys, theme and Raul Julia but man I do not like that game at all now.

Ha! I guess Turtles is kinda kiddy. I think Stern were aiming at a pretty narrow age bracket with that one. It's not far off perfect for me theme wise. Back to the Future, Goonies or Gremlins would all top it for me though.

As for JJP and Meunier. That Pirates looks the absolute t its I thought! Shame there's about 6 of them out there.

I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet I would play them both just because the playfield is bare doesn’t always mean it’s a poor game

Absolutely true. This does seem on the surface to have a little of the Star Wars about it in this regard though. Ideally need that Premium/LE

Agree, I love IMDN but even simply plunging can be a ball ache unless you have a PhD in pinball alignment + setup.... when that ball hits the upper flipper 😬😬
This should be simple, straight out the box.

having not had a lot of playtime on Tron for ages I played the one at the club and was surprised how similar many of the shots are on it compared to turtles

never watched Avengers? Man book a day off! absolutely epic series.

having not had a lot of playtime on Tron for ages I played the one at the club and was surprised how similar many of the shots are on it compared to turtles

First thing I thought when I saw the layout. Never change Borg!

Back
Top Bottom