What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sonos do the dirty

I also received the same email. 7 products in one swoop that apparently won't necessarily work or will prevent me buying future products to ensure they do. Struggling to think of a more self defeating email I've ever been sent by a company I was loyal to.

See the Evening standard are running the story this evening https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/sonos-legacy-products-updates-support-a4340946.html

Classic comment at the end

"This is pretty outrageous: I’ve got about 12 Sonos products which I’ve been slowly building up when I could afford them over the last 10 years: these are all going to stop working if I don’t upgrade 3 of them. Can you imagine if Apple announced that your Mac, iPad, AppleTV etc will all stop working just because you stop upgrading your iPhone!? It would be fair enough if the "legacy" devices no longer updated but your non-legacy too? Ridiculous. Sonos needs to withdraw this straightaway or its going to lose lots of loyal customers. "

1579702428035.png

Ouch, one of the reasons I try to keep away from the 'smart' stuff - I can have music in every room, but via a phone and a either a bluetooth speaker or a bluetooth connection into a proper amp - not as fancy, but does the job pretty well.
I've got a couple of smart-tvs and I've seen the 'smart' elements of them both exactly once on first setup, at which point it's set to an hdmi and into a FireTV or XBOX or whatever where it stays.
Much cheaper to replace the FireTV when a new one appears than it is to replace a TV which is why I've always gone the more modular route.

Same reason I'm not a huge fan of all the in-built features of new cars, there must be a time when your inbuilt satnav or whatever won't get updates any longer, so if you buy a 10 year old BMW do you get updates still?

From a supplier's perspective I guess the issue is how old is legacy, and how long do you support it before the legacy kit stops you moving forward - 'we've got all these new features, but we can't implement them as the legacy devices we have to support from 15 years ago can't support them'
If you had a 15 year old Laptop it would likely work (not that I'd recommend using it!) but you may well struggle with using it with a modern wireless network as it would likely be a B/G card in the laptop and you'd probably have an N/AC network now.

Having never actually used the Sonos stuff I'm assuming it has to work as a complete 'set', I'm surprised they couldn't allow the old ones to communicate with the new and just restrict the featureset if older ones were present though (unless they're changing the mechanism they use to communicate or something?)

Meh, gimme old tech, old games. My Rotel Amp is from the 70's, 90's Technics other amp. I'm too damn poor to justify new tech and I don't really care.

My experience of Surface Mounted components and stuff like a Hive home set-up hasn't been good.
And why would I want Google eavesdropping on my conversations? I must be getting old and looks like I'm in the minority that don't want such a Big-Brother device. :(

From a supplier's perspective I guess the issue is how old is legacy, and how long do you support it before the legacy kit stops you moving forward - 'we've got all these new features, but we can't implement them as the legacy devices we have to support from 15 years ago can't support them'
If you had a 15 year old Laptop it would likely work (not that I'd recommend using it!) but you may well struggle with using it with a modern wireless network as it would likely be a B/G card in the laptop and you'd probably have an N/AC network now.

This is fine, but again it's not an accurate comparison. If you told me that my entire wifi network and every device connected to it wouldn't work if i tried to use that 15yo laptop, that would be closer to what Sonos is proposing.

Will be interesting to see how they respond to this, given that they've already claimed that the legacy devices are too taxed to be able to receive future updates.

On the one hand you can sortof sympathise - it's a bit of a dead end market for them. If people buy speakers that they're perfectly happy with, why are they ever going to pay to get "better" ones? What killer functionality can you really add to a speaker at the end of the day?

i’ve decided to go retro, using
d34c9de494e77923ec714c6401100335.jpg

and

6401e52b3dc2ac09ff3b3141ddb943e5.jpg

hook em into a wi-fi enabled arduino or two with a2d converters and d2a at the other end and hey presto i’ve got my own sonos system - might take me a while.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fine, but again it's not an accurate comparison. If you told me that my entire wifi network and every device connected to it wouldn't work if i tried to use that 15yo laptop, that would be closer to what Sonos is proposing.

More like if you use an old device, all your newer devices are dragged down to the old device's capabilities. Ironically, that's exactly what happened with 802.11b Wifi devices connected to an 802.11g/n network!

Oh, and they'll probably brick it entirely at some point when they remove Streaming services, that's the worry, TuneIN/Spotify will update and none of the old Sonos will work.

The issue is when/why that will happen. Is this a blatant attempt to force all the early adopters to upgrade, or is there some whizzy flash-bang new feature they have in the bag, that we're all going to go "WOW, I must have that!". My guess is the former, but you never know...

Never seen the point in spunking all that cash on a Sonos system.

picked up a couple of echos and ran them through amps

spent the huge difference in terms of cash on going to see bands instead 🤘

Well, I suppose if you really wanted to use that 15 year old laptop you'd have to to change your wireless access point's radio mode from N into B, meaning it your old laptop would then work, but the rest of the modern kit then wouldn't
(Dual-radio devices not included in my crappy analogy :rofl: !)

I can see the reasoning for it from their point of view, but I can also see why people are going to be unhappy.

Makes you think about the whole IoT concept though - what about Nest, Hive and that type of device - they must have a development shelf life too, how long will the cloud services they talk to be maintained what happens when they get EOL'd?

Never seen the point in spunking all that cash on a Sonos system.

picked up a couple of echos and ran them through amps

spent the huge difference in terms of cash on going to see bands instead [emoji869]

Why do you own pinballs then? You could just visit chief or flipout or other locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The bricking is for upgrades is not a new thing for Sonos sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read somewhere that they do that so as a poor user doesn’t buy it and it’s not up to scratch for them 🤔🤓
They justify it apparently as a means to ensure that the owner getting the 30% discount off the new kit doesn’t “illegitimately” get to have the old kit still work too.

Pretty surreal really. Most places give you a loyalty discount on upgrading anyway, simply because you bought from then in the past. They don’t predicate this discount on you trashing perfectly good and functional hardware.

Bowers CM1s here (original design) driven by a Technics A900. Sound excellent!

@Neil McRae actual nautilus?? what power and pre amps do you have? Power supply?
What about input source?

Would love to see a photo!

I have a sonos sound bar and 2 play 1s second gen and it amazing on the tv
Terraced house so limited what I can do with ah amp
Highly impressive speakers

For the TV:
1x Beam
2x Play1 (bought refurbished from Sonos last year)
1x Sub (bought refurbished from Sonos last year)

Elsewhere:
2x One G2

I'll keep the Q Acoustics 7000i's and the old Denon amp just in case...

aside from this farce, i found the Beam's lack of support for L-PCM a bit of a nasty surprise. Playing Switch without surround is heresy!

It was much better in the old days before all this tech.
I needed to call the police the other day....
Could I find a bloody Tardis phone box!!!!

LOL, everyone asks me that, yes dood the real deal. I only bought them because I knew it would wind my business partner up at the time (he then went out and bought a set but had to wait months for them), Back then I was a nutter on having top gear but I wouldn't buy them today for what they cost (and I didn't pay anywhere near retail for them).

I also thought that my existing system could power them but I couldn't have been more wrong, luckily I was able to bi-amp rather then chuck out alot of pricey gear. But 8ohms means you are into serious wedge with very few options actually able to power the speakers to the maximum capabilities.

Currently I'm using 250x3R with active Bi-amping for each channel because the speakers are 8 Ohms (plus a 5R for 5.1) with Sony SCD-1 for super audio CD and Sonos Connect with about 64Tb of uncompressed audio. After hearing a similar setup recently that uses less space and sounded just as good (with Nautilus speakers) and has a easier (more wife friendly) way to do bypass for home cinema (and I want to go Atmos) I've got a load of Classe kit sitting waiting to be installed until I moved house (but struggling to find a place that fits so now looking to build my own). In my last house I had to rewire but this one there was an electric heater on a 16amp breaker that I pulled out and stuck a few sockets on in my front room.

Whilst Nautilus is awesome I'd argue there are newer speakers on the market now that are alot less money and have just as good if not better quality (and you can put in spaces easier). Next time you are in London let me know and you can come and hear it.

LOL, everyone asks me that, yes dood the real deal. I only bought them because I knew it would wind my business partner up at the time (he then went out and bought a set but had to wait months for them), Back then I was a nutter on having top gear but I wouldn't buy them today for what they cost (and I didn't pay anywhere near retail for them).

I also thought that my existing system could power them but I couldn't have been more wrong, luckily I was able to bi-amp rather then chuck out alot of pricey gear. But 8ohms means you are into serious wedge with very few options actually able to power the speakers to the maximum capabilities.

Currently I'm using 250x3R with active Bi-amping for each channel because the speakers are 8 Ohms (plus a 5R for 5.1) with Sony SCD-1 for super audio CD and Sonos Connect with about 64Tb of uncompressed audio. After hearing a similar setup recently that uses less space and sounded just as good (with Nautilus speakers) and has a easier (more wife friendly) way to do bypass for home cinema (and I want to go Atmos) I've got a load of Classe kit sitting waiting to be installed until I moved house (but struggling to find a place that fits so now looking to build my own). In my last house I had to rewire but this one there was an electric heater on a 16amp breaker that I pulled out and stuck a few sockets on in my front room.

Whilst Nautilus is awesome I'd argue there are newer speakers on the market now that are alot less money and have just as good if not better quality (and you can put in spaces easier). Next time you are in London let me know and you can come and hear it.

What no vinyl? I bet we could squeeze even more performance out of that setup Neil. :)

Bowers CM1s here (original design) driven by a Technics A900. Sound excellent!

@Neil McRae actual nautilus?? what power and pre amps do you have? Power supply?
What about input source?

Would love to see a photo!
Cool. I’m rocking an A1000 Reference after hearing the magic of my friend’s A900 with a 1210.

Paired with some Dynaudio M20s they produce some genuinely moving and breathtaking audio.

Cyrus man here, Sonos into Cyrus DAC XP, with a pair of Mono X's

Back
Top Bottom