What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sonos do the dirty

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
i got an email from sonos today. telling me some of my speakers are now “legacy”. if i continue to use them then none of my products will get software updates and eventually i’ll have a useless system. yes i’m paraphrasing. here’s what they said:

d8569d257fd0b92d43d0c6c759cd7462.jpg

fee3678b3fefb6540dd201e8dd6e76a9.jpg

i’m not going to upgrade. i’m just going to moan like a proper luddite should [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

i mean, it can’t be hard to let the “legacy” devices stay on a final sw version whilst the rest of the system and devices move forward whilst retaining backward compatibility with said legacy devices. ffs sonos work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this email too. Its only my amp that's affected, but you would imagine that all the kit will be in the same position one day. I don't buy the argument theyre making either about legacy products not being of a high enough quality for the brand, its a cash grab. From their existing and loyal customers.

Considering they have Google and Amazon waiting at the door with their own solutions in this sphere, seems like an incredibly stupid business decision to purposefully brick a large chunk of your existing customers kit.

Got the same email, saying 8 of my amps and connects are legacy!!!

I think thats pretty much all my kit

Last edited:
Sometimes living a relatively low tech life pays off. I have honestly no idea what sonos really does, why do you have loads of them ?? [emoji848][emoji3]

Blissful ignorance [emoji4]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

wi-fi speakers you put them in different rooms about your house. piped music everywhere. also amps to power existing speakers. and devices to play stuff via existing hifi etc

See that's the sad thing. This stuff is still going after all these years, still sounding great. There's absolutely no reason a speaker if treated well should ever have to retire.

Sometimes living a relatively low tech life pays off. I have honestly no idea what sonos really does, why do you have loads of them ?? [emoji848][emoji3]

Blissful ignorance [emoji4]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yeah stay in your bubble dood and keep tellling yourself that lol - it’ll all be alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@SonosSupport is quite rightly taking an absolute pounding on twitter atm

Check out the Sonos forum - they have basically alienated their entire customer base. I’m now on all posts have to be moderated status LOL

Next week I’m going to test their stupidity under the 6 years sales of good act and return a bunch of stuff to John Lewis.

@SonosSupport is quite rightly taking an absolute pounding on twitter atm

Check out the Sonos forum - they have basically alienated their entire customer base. I’m now on all posts have to be moderated status LOL

Next week I’m going to test their stupidity under the 6 years sales of good act and return a bunch of stuff to John Lewis.

Yeah stay in your bubble dood and keep tellling yourself that lol - it’ll all be alright!

What will be alright?

My house is so small I just put my cassette player in the hall and voila... party in every room

Last edited:
Their recycle mode actually bricks the unit so it can't be resold. Nice.

My old Tv isn’t being supported by the manufacturer, but it still works.

Does this mean all those devices will literally stop working, or are we just saying they won’t get new features?

My old Tv isn’t being supported by the manufacturer, but it still works.

Does this mean all those devices will literally stop working, or are we just saying they won’t get new features?

The bigger issue is that they originally said that new devices, if on the same network, also won't get updated. Effectively forcing you to remove old kit.

They've changed their tune on this slightly in the last 24 hours, hinting at the possibility of running two separate networks, but aren't giving anymore details until May.

Which basically reeks of hastily managed damage control.

The bigger issue is that they originally said that new devices, if on the same network, also won't get updated. Effectively forcing you to remove old kit.

They've changed their tune on this slightly in the last 24 hours, hinting at the possibility of running two separate networks, but aren't giving anymore details until May.

two separate networks. hmm...... let’s see

Good luck there.. seriously... get entirely where you are coming from. Under what reason though?? surely it's more "designed obsolescence".... :mad:

Glad i got rid of my Sonos now!

I have a mate who swears by Sonos eco system and for years has tried to talk me round to it. He has spent £1000’s on his system and is now faced with this exact thing so it sounds like I’ve dodged a bullet.
Don’t get me wrong I have still spent a small fortune over the years on high end HIFI equipment but nowadays Alexa deals with my music needs and gets more use than my prev offerings ever had.
Love em or hate em smart speakers seem to have changed the game for the masses and my missus. A simple “goodnight“ to Alexa turns off my TV and bedroom lights which can all be done for about £50 so the the wife loves it as it saves her a job :rofl:

I’m with @Sgt GrizZ

My friends often rib me about my ancient Technics system. Then they listen and are generally blown away. Some have commented that they didn’t know music could sound that way.

I hear all sorts of high end multi systems at friends’ houses, but none of them sound musical or balanced at all. More like I’m in a shopping centre and listening to piped music.

I accept the arguments for the convenience of Sonos, but I guess it depends whether you want to have music blandly in the background or to actually listen to it.

I’m with @Sgt GrizZ

My friends often rib me about my ancient Technics system. Then they listen and are generally blown away. Some have commented that they didn’t know music could sound that way.

I hear all sorts of high end multi systems at friends’ houses, but none of them sound musical or balanced at all. More like I’m in a shopping centre and listening to piped music.

I accept the arguments for the convenience of Sonos, but I guess it depends whether you want to have music blandly in the background or to actually listen to it.
My mate actually integrates his record deck into his Sonos system and it was by far the most expensive part of it all. He swears by putting an album on and spending the time appreciating a full side/two from an artist unlike me who generally says ”Alexa play some chill out music” ect ect

I'm caught too, got tons of Sonos. Can't see how supporting Spotify/Apple Music/MP3s takes much power, so it's not like some of the old TVs that iPlayer etc no longer support on Codecs - they have one OS and they own and support it (or not).

A real own goal, at a time when the the USP for Sonos is already taking a hit from the various smart speakers.

Why the fuss? Companies have been doing this for years. IBM, Microsoft, Apple. Toshibe, LG.

Apple - Profits are slowing. End the support for a few older devices. Force people to buy again.

I have a fantastic LG 4K OLED TV but it's not supported by certain broadcasters. It's only four years old. Trying to force me to buy a new one.

It's the way of the world. Greed. We're f*cking this planet over. It's overdue an extinction.

Greta.....sorry, Philip

The issue with sonos is they often force you to update the system to sync everything, so if they allowed you to run your systems without updates for some speakers everything would be ok. I've got 1 x playbar, 2 x play 1 gen1 and 2 x play 3 gen 1 and 1 sonos connect for my jukebox, and have been building it up slowly over a number of years, so this announcement is not great. Smarts of a 'head office' decision by accountants/money men to me.

So, do we know what version the trojan horse is getting installed?

I'm currently running v10.5 build 53270100

The way of expanding my system is to buy broken gen 1 play1 or 3s and fix them, so hearing this announcement really sucks. Currently got a play1 on the bench which is going to add to my lounge 'cinema' experience :) Having everything supported made you feel the company was decent and not just a money grabber, but in it for the long term. Guess i should have known... Still believe a decision like this did not come from the engineering department...

I have a fantastic LG 4K OLED TV but it's not supported by certain broadcasters. It's only four years old. Trying to force me to buy a new one.
They are great if you are careful with it, my 65” LG B6 2 1/2 years old just got returned and I had it replaced with the latest version, with the Sky deal (£720 credit) it cost me about £150 as Richer Sounds gave me a credit for the returned tv. They were saying I was abusing the thing ffs.
07172758-C81B-4A5D-B144-4F047F00689E.jpeg

I wouldn't touch an OLED with a bargepole, I'd be constantly afraid it was on the same Channel too long, or too bright, or I've been playing the same game too long. Samsung Q9FN for me.

Back
Top Bottom