What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sonos do the dirty

Joke isn’t it, we watch a lot of sport and the cricket has loads of stuff to burn the screen. Fortnite is another one.
The new version tv I have here has a logo dimmer so after 2 mins it will dim anything that hasn’t moved and after 4 hours continuous use will do a clear screen image retention thing when turned off.
Paranoid so now watching a bit dimmer.

dont worry Sarge this lot of whingers should all join you, sonos is so last decade, they should be embarrased to admit they still use it :)

Hardware as a Service.

Sonos taking cues from the likes of Adobe, Microsoft, etc. You don't own anything anymore, you own a perpetual licence to use it, under contract, with the proviso that you continue to upgrade when the companies decide they want some more money.

Our Adobe bill per month here at work is eye watering, several hundred per month, and they're constantly upgrading the software versions ensuring that files created in the latest version won't open on anything that you could actually buy.

Pretty much everything I use now has a monthly licence cost, the places charging an outright fee are the exception to the norm. I'm not totally surprised that hardware manufacturers are trying to get in on this gravy train, particularly as more and more people become acclimatised to it.

I dont use Sonos for Spotify/Amazon type services... it's great for streaming my collection of lossless music from a NAS server. Sound quality is excellent, I use a few of their Amp solutions for kids rooms etc, but in main listening rooms, I have them connected to various dedicated Cyrus and Cambridge Audio amps.

dont worry Sarge this lot of whingers should all join you, sonos is so last decade, they should be embarrased to admit they still use it :)

eh? been very happy with my sonos equipment thanks very much. My 70s jukebox never sounded so good!

Yes i still like using it all and want to continue to do so :)

Good luck there.. seriously... get entirely where you are coming from. Under what reason though?? surely it's more "designed obsolescence".... :mad:

Glad i got rid of my Sonos now!

I have many choices - the first I’m going to try is they are no longer going to provide security patches thus rendering the device not fit for the purpose it was sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also Sonos isn’t just speakers - they have a few types of amp and a pre-amp that I’ve got a lot of connected into “proper (B&W Nautilus) speakers”.

And it’s not just about today’s kit but tomorrow’s kit too. Sonos get away with this it’s the thin end of the wedge.

Your ten year old car; oh we don’t support the software on that so you are screwed. This is much bigger than just Sonos.

Imagine JJP - “oh we put your Wonka on Wi-fi and now we aren’t going to support it” and next thing it’s on fire because Mikhail from Moscow has hacked it and locked all the coils on. Extreme and unlikely or is it?

Hardware as a Service.

Sonos taking cues from the likes of Adobe, Microsoft, etc. You don't own anything anymore, you own a perpetual licence to use it, under contract, with the proviso that you continue to upgrade when the companies decide they want some more money.

Our Adobe bill per month here at work is eye watering, several hundred per month, and they're constantly upgrading the software versions ensuring that files created in the latest version won't open on anything that you could actually buy.

Pretty much everything I use now has a monthly licence cost, the places charging an outright fee are the exception to the norm. I'm not totally surprised that hardware manufacturers are trying to get in on this gravy train, particularly as more and more people become acclimatised to it.

Which isn’t what Sonos sold me. They sold me a speaker that I can control from an app and play music on.

Yes and I play Genesis through them LOL

Imagine JJP - “oh we put your Wonka on Wi-fi and now we aren’t going to support it” and next thing it’s on fire because Mikhail from Moscow has hacked it and locked all the coils on. Extreme and unlikely or is it?

Insurers covering their backs in case of 'Mikhail', they are now applying Cyber Exclusions to homeowners policies as standard

Yeah luckily I don’t own any Metallica! Other than the pinball machine!

The best sound to come out of them though was the Sony super audio CD of War of the worlds. utterly astonishing.

Of course if I kick the bucket someone needs to tell the wife what they are truly worth

FFS Neil! you have a pair of B&W Nautilus?

Ok, so just had to google them. HO LEE SH1T.
I remember the gadget show doing a piece on them. They set some up in the Albert Hall and asked a blindfolded audience to guess which was the live orchestra and what was CD being played through the speakers.

With sonos this is like windows 7 not supported vs windows 10
Your stuff will still work

No It means you have a a laptop your wife has that can’t talk to the new laptop you bought your son.

With sonos this is like windows 7 not supported vs windows 10
Your stuff will still work

Except windows 7 isn't hardware, isn't being used in every room of your house, and cost 40 quid.

But yeah in every other way the same.

Insurers covering their backs in case of 'Mikhail', they are now applying Cyber Exclusions to homeowners policies as standard

That’s massive.

So you buy a new fridge that for some reason has Wi-fi you connect it up life is good. Then they kill support an exploit is discovered and it enables bad things to happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what’s everyone’s thoughts update everything now then never update again?

So what’s everyone’s thoughts update everything now then never update again?

a) Update now then never again - and never buy new sonos kit again (since it wont work)
b) Chuck out all the gear that is legacy and buy new

a - definitely.

Back
Top Bottom