What's new

Rocky-Pins would you buy from him

Thoughts?
never in a month of Sundays would i buy off him, that stunt he pulled with the free playfield he collected, shined up and put up for sale on eBay tells his character. he is known as Kristian Oliver. he used to trade as happyslapper101 but changed his name for some reason. i'm sorry to hear you already paid a deposit, my advice if it's a deposit of less than £200 is to walk away.

i think @Matti B lives near him, maybe he would go and have a look and take pics if you asked nicely, and if he has time, but he may be a bit busy with work and impending fatherhood.

welcome to the forum dude, sorry to hear you got trapped in the web by one of the hobby's bad guys

Here's his vid of the machine:

It does look like quite a nice one, but a few things to be aware of:

New rubbers, star posts and bulbs don't cost much, so don't really add much value to the machine, but if he's done a full strip clean then it should be immaculate, which does add some value, if it's true.

"Just had new dmd, dmd board and power supply replaced"

To me this reads: DMD is new but the other boards were swapped because they were faulty. Might be worth clarifying this.

Has anyone on the forum bought off him and been happy with the purchase?

And yes, that was him who bought WH20 from the NLP and put it straight on ebay at a higher price.

Unfortunately I can't see the snackbar hole from the photos.

Ask for a close up pic of the snack bar hole and the plastic that sits above it (commonly broken). The scoop hole wear gives a useful indication of the amount of use the game has had.....unless it's been restored of course (which would be a good thing).

You can see the snack bar hole, second to last pic.

Looks reasonable from that pic, I've seen them a lot worse. But then at £2.5K, personally I'd want it perfect along with a perfect cab etc :)

always tricky buying blind as pictures especially ebay ones can make stuff look better than it is. as a seller I would always avoid works like mint perfect restored etc even if it was because condition is always subjective. CFTBL is a woinderful machine so hopefully you will be please with it though even in current market price seems a little steep but was always going to be a collectable machine out the box. said so when it was first released

Looks reasonable from that pic, I've seen them a lot worse. But then at £2.5K, personally I'd want it perfect along with a perfect cab etc :)
Agreed, actually looks on the surface in decent condition in terms of the playfield and cabinet.

Then again, who knows what horrors lurk beneath :hmm:

Never owned a CFTBL and not being an 'expert' but using the saying from the TV programme Catchprase "Say What You See" then this is what I would say

Buyer has saved £250 in ebay fees by pulling it.

Back box right hand side, as you look at it, split at back, chipped at front top, chips along edge, bottom back looks hazy might be coloured in, missing bit of decal.

Back box left hand side top corner looks to be slightly damaged, decal scuffed/scratched.

Why leg protectors at front and not back?

Left hand in lane rough/worn/splinters of wood.

is there a crack on ramp near Jeff Johnson, Scott Slomia... sign or is it a reflection?

ramp starting to crack near jackpot sign?

wear on scoop hole

Good advice from all but let's not give him total sleepless nights as the game looks nice enough and who hasn't paid over the odds for at least one machine, I know I did on my first and I never went to see it but it all worked out ok. (don't even mention my CV!)
I would say, because of the some what dubious reputation of the seller you really need to get someone to at least check it out, I am no expert but it did look to me like the left sling did not fire when the ball came off the right sling, I could be mistaken but I only heard the right sling fire but it probably did as the ball went further than what I would expect from a bounce.
Once the machine is in your hands expect to get little or no support or help if there is anything wrong with it so make the extra effort to do it before handing over the balance another few days shouldn't hurt.
I hope it all goes well for you as indeed we all do and although some comments may scare the hell out of you don't let it put you off of what hopefully turns out to be the best thing you ever bought.
Just use your head and indeed anyone who is willing on here to help you out, you are new here but stick around and you will see what a great bunch and help we all are!
Best of luck. :)

a
never in a month of Sundays would i buy off him, that stunt he pulled with the free playfield he collected, shined up and put up for sale on eBay tells his character. he is known as Kristian Oliver. he used to trade as happyslapper101 but changed his name for some reason. i'm sorry to hear you already paid a deposit, my advice if it's a deposit of less than £200 is to walk away.

i think @Matti B lives near him, maybe he would go and have a look and take pics if you asked nicely, and if he has time, but he may be a bit busy with work and impending fatherhood.

welcome to the forum dude, sorry to hear you got trapped in the web by one of the hobby's bad guys

I live in Colchester. I'd be happy to go visit him and check the table out, play it and take some pics -- but I can't profess that I'd be an expert at grading the condition. PM me!

did some one say that this machine has new rubbers on !!

NOT !!

post rubber on the left side is split ,the one by the snack bar targets .

if one easy to get to rubber is missed thay will be more !

Loads of advice coming out and I think it is all trying to help. I know a lot of this will come as a stresser and frustration for you but as mentioned, we all overpay for one machine. I own my Creech and don't see it ever leaving, if I search for faults I find them but it is a lovely looking machine and how it plays is equally important. You want a good playfield, boards and plastics, the rest could be fixed (at a cost) later.
What I would say is that there is signs of knocks and rubbers not replaced in the pictures. Plus the legs should be black not silver.
There may be enough here for you to question your deposit or negotiate a better price.
Good luck and I hope you get one and enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

I've contacted him with my queries. To be fair he has been very approachable with good comms.

Here are some pics of the play area before the strip down and the new DMD board.

Last edited:
He's blatantly not stripped it if there is perished rubbers! Personally I think he's just fobbing you off anyone selling a creech for 2.5k is fobbing you off. He prob just got the strip down pics off Google just saying

2.5k for a creech is top dollar, it would have to be super peachy, sold a really nice one with new holo and mods for £1800 not long ago, check for wear around that snack bar hole, often hidden with cliffys, hope you enjoy the pin, it's a marmite, couldn't get into mine for love nor money.

There's clearly muck behind the snack bar targets in the ebay listing photos.

But maybe he listed on eBay and decided to do the strip clean later, when he couldn't snag any 3k buyers.

2.5k for a creech is top dollar, it would have to be super peachy, sold a really nice one with new holo and mods for £1800 not long ago, check for wear around that snack bar hole, often hidden with cliffys, hope you enjoy the pin, it's a marmite, couldn't get into mine for love nor money.

Hmm, no idea at all where that one could of ended up recently:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have had a few dealings with Kristian, as a person he is nice enough and very chatty. However, when it comes to buying pins I would only agree a price after close inspection. Those pic's of the strip down seem to have (very conveniently) missed the snack bar hole, ask for pics of this when it was stripped. He clearly took plenty, and this is the first thing anyone would want to see, so if he doesn't have pics that's a major worry. For that kind of money, I would suggest contacting Neil at pinball madness. His machines are not cheap, but I would back up the quality of his work all day.

You should also expect to be totally on your own if you buy from Rocky pins, I hear that once it's paid for, any issues are yours.

I've contacted him with my queries. To be fair he has been very approachable with good comms.

Here are some pics of the play area before the strip down and the new DMD board.

At the end of the day decision is yours, take on board what everybody has said/pointed out. Does seem expensive but seems like you really, really, really want it so just let us all know what the outcome is if you get it. "This pin looks superb, plays superb and wants for nothing" probably not true and certainly not a 'Carling' pin :D

I have had a few dealings with Kristian, as a person he is nice enough and very chatty. However, when it comes to buying pins I would only agree a price after close inspection. Those pic's of the strip down seem to have (very conveniently) missed the snack bar hole, ask for pics of this when it was stripped. He clearly took plenty, and this is the first thing anyone would want to see, so if he doesn't have pics that's a major worry. For that kind of money, I would suggest contacting Neil at pinball madness. His machines are not cheap, but I would back up the quality of his work all day.

I've bought that one from Neil. Wasn't cheap but alot of people talk highly of him and seems a nice guy. Cannot wait to pick it up ☺

Another thing to be aware of. There are 2 reproduction holograms. The one done by Pinball dreams in Germany is pretty nice. The other doesn't look at all like the original. I personally don't like it at all. I think it is the one in this machine.
It may not be an issue to you but equally it may be so worth knowing the differences.

Back
Top Bottom