What's new

Rocky-Pins would you buy from him

Kenny Taylor

Registered
I'm a newbie here. rocky-pins. I've just done a search on his name in this forum and don't like what I've read.
Has he turned a new leaf or is he just a flipper.

Unfortunately I've just paid a deposit on one of his Pins and I'm to conclude the purchase on the 14th. Due to distance I won't be able to try before I buy.
Thoughts?

I bought a congo from him 18 months ago.
Wasn't as good as described in my opinion, worked 100% and has never missed a beat, but was described as 'no wear in playfield' 'excellent codition' etc which wasn't the case.
It had some wear on playfield nothing serious, and some very dodgey repairs on the boards in the backbox which weren't mentioned on the ebay listing

But overall it's been a good machine and I would buy from him again as long as i got better detailed pictures.
Hope this helps!
Tom

Tom, thanks for your comments. I was starting to get really worried. Should I ask for pictures of the internal workings in case of any dodgy repairs. I'm paying top dollar for this machine and I've been assured it's a good one!

is it the CFTBL that was on ebay?
Looked in good condition to me, said it was restored?
I would check the internals before handing over money, but that’s probably a good idea with any machine :)

doesn't look like he's sold that many recently on ebay
Must have had a container of them brought over at some point and then shifted them on I'm guessing?

I didn't get good vibes when talking to him at all. Stayed clear. When you're handing over alot of money or a deposit you want them to make you feel comfortable before you do. This wasn't the case with this guy. I wouldn't even bother with this guy again.

I'm sure he's fine if you don't mind paying double the market value. I also question his morals but he seems pleasant enough. I just hope you're getting a fair price. Though I doubt it.a decent creech should be around £1800

Wasn't he the guy who lied to get a playfield for free a couple of years ago and then turned around and sold it the next day? Apologies in advance if I'm thinking of the wrong person.

With the CFTBL the key thing to check is that the hologram is still OK. If it's blue and faded (or gone totally) this will really devalue the game when you come to sell

Unless it has a repro hologram in there or has never been used theres sod all chance that the hologram is still a decent shade of green anymore. Then again all depends on how much it appeals to you as part of the package.

I'm sure he's fine if you don't mind paying double the market value. I also question his morals but he seems pleasant enough. I just hope you're getting a fair price. Though I doubt it.a decent creech should be around £1800

He certainly haggled a fair bit. I didn't want to pay more than 2k for a creech. However when this came up and he's assured me it's a top machine. In the end he accepted 2.5k

Last edited:
Unless it has a repro hologram in there or has never been used theres sod all chance that the hologram is still a decent shade of green anymore. Then again all depends on how much it appeals to you as part of the package.

The add states it's had a complete strip down, all star posts, all rubbers and all broken bulbs replaced. It's has a new dmd, dmd board and power supply replaced also a new hologram fitted.

2.5k:eek:

Prices are all relative though. If it's going to be a keeper and it's 100% mint then maybe it's worth it. Fingers crossed it's lovely and you really enjoy it. Let us know how you get on

And also if you are one of those who hates damaged ramps and plastics, it is very easy to add £300 plus to your purchase price if you subsequently go out and buy all these to improve your game

If it was me I'd want to see it first before paying that kind of price.

The buyer of his Dracula wasn't too happy looking at the negative feedback:

"Pinball NOT as described. Repainted artwork. Damaged translite. Return refused."

"Pinball NOT as described. Repainted artwork. Damaged translite. Return refused."

What he said. If things are described as mint and you're paying top dollar, you've got to go check it out before handing over the cash. No personal dealings myself but the info here should be enough to prompt you to do that, whatever the distance....

Mark is spot on here.

Unless you are very knowledgeable with repairs/ the game is cheap/ you have extensive high resolution photos ..... do not buy a pinball from someone you do not know unseen. It is bad enough buying pinballs seen from people you do not know.

Photos always hide damage in pinball, unless they are proper close ups

Why not see if someone local to the game will look it over for you ? If the seller objects, there is your answer.

There's four negative comments on his first feedback page....! If you're not going to look at it yourself, what DRD has suggested. I took the remote buy gamble once and lost out big time. Would never do it again unless I knew the seller well.

The add states it's had a complete strip down, all star posts, all rubbers and all broken bulbs replaced. It's has a new dmd, dmd board and power supply replaced also a new hologram fitted.

He will say that to encourage you to buy it.

As others have said... Have someone local look at it for you.

Ask for photographic evidence of the strip down and for a scan of the copies for the paperwork for the new DMD, DMD board, power supply and hologram (which of course he will hand over to you on sale of the machine).

Its a case of timing I sold mine about 5 years ago for 1.4k and it was mint and Banchory is not far from me.

As above get someone on here to check it over first id possible

From my experience I would definately want to see the pin before handing over any money. Fine to agree a price and then organise a time/day to go and see it - that way if you aren't happy you can walk away and you haven't lost a penny apart from the petrol money to get there.

A lot of high res photos helps, but nothing beats actually going to see the table.

Distance is a real problem. I defo won't be able to see the machine for myself. But I'm quite anal about the general condition of anything I buy, boards, play area, ramps etc. But TBH I probably wouldn't spot any hidden stuff or even know where to look for it.

He will say that to encourage you to buy it.

As others have said... Have someone local look at it for you.

Ask for photographic evidence of the strip down and for a scan of the copies for the paperwork for the new DMD, DMD board, power supply and hologram (which of course he will hand over to you on sale of the machine).

Thanks mate great idea. Never thought to ask for evidence..

He told me he had been offered 2.6k for it already so i would have to do better than that. In the end i went somewhere else and put a deposit on one from a guy that was recommended. Paid more than i wanted but i really wanted this machine and the guy was helpful and genuine. Don't mind spending abit more than i wanted if i will never sell the machine. Tatty bits can be sorted out over the years.
I've looked far and wide of these machines and only had offers like 3.5k and 4k. Not paying that amount of money for one in any condition.

Haven't had any dealings with this guy personally but from what I have heard and read it is caveat emptor (buyer beware). looking at his history before he set up 'flipping' pinball machines he was and maybe still is a used car dealer (not saying every used car dealer is dodgy but a lot are :)). Yes he was the guy who 'blagged' a playfield for free as he wanted it for a machine/himself and then put it on ebay straightaway so no morals there!! I would expect that you are paying 'top price' so I know distance is an issue but you really need to view or see if anybody on here can view for you as if you are 'anal' with regards to what you buy then you may be disappointed but hopefully I am wrong and it is in excellent condition :)

Whatever you decide then would be good to see a review on here :)

Back
Top Bottom