What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your dogs!

Sedation doesn’t sound good as that’s not teaching the dog anything.
When he’s going mental with excitement you should put him in a cage in the same room as you and your guests, once he calms down you open the cage door (may take hours but so be it). If he instantly shows high energy levels - straight back in the cage. If you repeat this constantly there will be a moment where the dog realises he must do something differently to stay out the cage. Another trick that worked with mine is NEVER come through the front door and great the dog first, simply ignore him, shoes off etc, kettle on and only then say his name and great him - he’ll learn that attention is on your terms and not his.
Sedation is probably the wrong word. It's just Adaptil which is supposed to calm anxious dogs. We would never put him in a cage as he would really hurt himself trying to get out. Our other dog is ok to go in cages but not this one. We do a similar technique though where we keep take him out of the room or place a barrier until he calms down. But then he's off again as soon as he goes back in.

The first trainer I went to when Zeus (devil dog) was only 9 months old who was local and happens to be one of the best trainers in the UK did a consultation with me and wouldn’t take him on saying he wasn’t right and had strange reactions but they had never seen a Thai Ridgeback. They supply police/forces with dogs and also sent dogs to Africa for wildlife protection and have been in the BBC so really know their stuff and I should have listened to them at the start but im stubborn!

He then went off a few months later with another recommended training school for 3 weeks in house training, came out like a zombie and lost weight. He was ill for a few days and I’m sure they drugged him to keep him calm. His aggression after that ramped up to the point of me sometimes holding him back with a broom stick handle while he chomped on the end. He could just switch for no reason.

Contacted the original trainer who just turned their back on me, I took it personally so continued with him but our lives were basically ruined as we could never relax with him and nobody wanted to come in the house as everyone was scared of him. I got a lot of stick but had him from 9 weeks old so was tuff and I knew I couldn’t risk rehoming him.
He then went for me properly like he was the boss and that was that☹️

The other one that I bought for him hoping it would calm him down is amazing, ignores dogs out on walks, loves kids, no jumping, no pulling etc and never had any outside help with training but she came from top show dog pedigree so is in the genes and I think that’s half the battle.

Your dog might calm down with age hopefully or maybe getting his knackers chopped off, if it really is stressing you maybe try another trainer. One thing I have learnt is it’s not worth all the stress for a dog no matter how much you love it. Life is too short. I must have been mad trying for so long, actually everyone thought I had a screw loose🤯

Hope he calms down for you and it’s really good that he likes people👍
That sounds like an absolute nightmare! I do think ours will calm down with age. Probably in another 4 or 5 years...

Sedation is probably the wrong word. It's just Adaptil which is supposed to calm anxious dogs. We would never put him in a cage as he would really hurt himself trying to get out. Our other dog is ok to go in cages but not this one. We do a similar technique though where we keep take him out of the room or place a barrier until he calms down. But then he's off again as soon as he goes back in.
Ah that’s good to hear (Adaptil)
Ronnie used to go mental in his metal cage so I got a strong fabric one (was cheap too), he soon learnt to sit and chill in it.

That’s is the cutest dog ever - how much you looking for mate? Is it HUO? How many plays as it had too?
…I’ll have it 👍
Lol......Mrs would sell me off rather than the dog......it's ok though, i know my place in the household hierarchy (somewhere just above the goldfish I think) !

Neutering does make a difference to the aggressive behaviour , and may calm his guest based over enthusiasm. It’s not going to change his hunting instinct. We neutered his great grandad at 3year old and it didn’t change his personality, but did reduce his aggression to other dogs - didn’t stop him fighting but probably 50% reduction in starting it!

Neutering does make a difference to the aggressive behaviour , and may calm his guest based over enthusiasm. It’s not going to change his hunting instinct. We neutered his great grandad at 3year old and it didn’t change his personality, but did reduce his aggression to other dogs - didn’t stop him fighting but probably 50% reduction in starting it!
He's such an AWESOME dog apart from the aggression towards 50% of dogs. So incredibly intelligent. I can't take him anywhere without someone complimenting how handsome he is. I don't even think my old Weimaraner got that many compliments.

I have had one to one dog training with Ziggy since he arrived with us. It has really helped identify what is natural, what is learnt behaviour and what to look out for.
He is now five months, 25 kg and could pull me off my feet. He jumps at people, just to say hello and we are training him to understand that is undesirable behaviour because few people will be able to handle that when he is 40kg.
Some weeks he gets it, some weeks he is a ****hole.
He will be neutered when he is approximately 18months as he should have finished growing and not need as much testosterone. We have no plans to breed from him, and as he never got the ridge his breed is meant to have, it is unlikely anyone wants him for a stud.

So good having a calm dog, nothing phases her. Ignores people and other dogs with no training really so must be a gene thing, only thing I’m not brave enough to do is let her off the lead due to the high prey drive. Cats, squirrels etc and she will jump and twist to try and get out of the harness but doesn’t get aggressive or pull excessively.
With the beach virtually to ourselves with only a few other dog walkers it’s so tempting to set her free but I’m so unfit I would probably have a heart attack running after her!
Life is so much better here without the other crazy dog, was way too stressful.
Amroth beach
DD574EE0-8411-46C6-8D60-AA0B74D91E8E.jpeg

So good having a calm dog, nothing phases her. Ignores people and other dogs with no training really so must be a gene thing, only thing I’m not brave enough to do is let her off the lead due to the high prey drive. Cats, squirrels etc and she will jump and twist to try and get out of the harness but doesn’t get aggressive or pull excessively.
With the beach virtually to ourselves with only a few other dog walkers it’s so tempting to set her free but I’m so unfit I would probably have a heart attack running after her!
Life is so much better here without the other crazy dog, was way too stressful.
Amroth beach
View attachment 153232

I take mine down to the beach most lunchtimes. The beach and the park are where I have most of my problems due to other peoples dogs being loose. Mine never come off the lead as they'd be off into the sunset. Tried it a few times but the prey drive is far too strong. The Collie Cross chases anything that moves, usually seagulls....and they can go quite far. The local Facebook groups are full of lost dogs that have run away on the beach.......and almost always it's a collie.

I take mine down to the beach most lunchtimes. The beach and the park are where I have most of my problems due to other peoples dogs being loose. Mine never come off the lead as they'd be off into the sunset. Tried it a few times but the prey drive is far too strong. The Collie Cross chases anything that moves, usually seagulls....and they can go quite far. The local Facebook groups are full of lost dogs that have run away on the beach.......and almost always it's a collie.
Just got back from the beach, was sooo tempted to let her loose. Undid the lead from the harness and bottled it.
She is crafty, she plays it cool to put me in a false sense of security in the hope of being set free I’m sure!
I will film it if I do it, could be funny for everyone else when she legs it into the horizon.

Belle’s hardly ever on the lead unless we are next to a road. Our problem isn’t with her going off but with her herding other people into her flock. She’s almost never further than 5m away. Personal space really isn’t a concept she subscribes to.

Willow our cocker spaniel joined us only a few months ago 😊

Attachments

• 5701913A-9384-4ABA-A44B-EBEA0D031837.jpeg
    5701913A-9384-4ABA-A44B-EBEA0D031837.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 8147DE25-1A41-406F-9484-1221743E8A54.jpeg
    8147DE25-1A41-406F-9484-1221743E8A54.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 12
  • C66E4AB1-23D6-430A-9112-318B735D9780.jpeg
    C66E4AB1-23D6-430A-9112-318B735D9780.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
By my estimation she ate about £40 of Christmas tree today. Marginally cheaper than her normal habit of eating the sofa 😤

Attachments

• B7CF49D9-E9B8-4743-A126-541362F54816.jpeg
    B7CF49D9-E9B8-4743-A126-541362F54816.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 4E810259-1382-461F-8F6B-2E41144D1F93.jpeg
    4E810259-1382-461F-8F6B-2E41144D1F93.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 23
  • B2D86F4B-03DB-4250-88C6-538298390234.jpeg
    B2D86F4B-03DB-4250-88C6-538298390234.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 23
Ziggy hasn’t gone for the tree yet.
He might still be full from chewing the clock
It is amazing how small and sad they look when they get caught.
I had a lab that decided to chew up a new £2k teak garden table and chairs, also 5 lots of hardwood patio doors cills that are over 2m wide each!
Glad he lived outside😂

Back
Top Bottom