What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning application costs (in south west)

Structural engineer has been, time to start collecting some builders quotes :)

Hopefully can start the build soon :)
If any one can recommend any builders around Bristol let me know.

Starting to collect builders quotes :) getting a good idea on cost now and can afford it so hopefully can start the build soon :)

will report back with photos when something interesting happens :)

Starting to collect builders quotes :) getting a good idea on cost now and can afford it so hopefully can start the build soon :)

will report back with photos when something interesting happens :)
Went through all this last year to extend out the back of the house, mainly to get a bigger and better kitchen, but the project grew. It was quite a learning curve. Probably too far away from you but I can recommend various tradesmen now in Stroud/Gloucester area. Sounds like you will use one builder who will take care of everything, which I strongly recommend for an easy life...
Hope it all goes well. In our case, it was all worth it in the end!

Went through all this last year to extend out the back of the house, mainly to get a bigger and better kitchen, but the project grew. It was quite a learning curve. Probably too far away from you but I can recommend various tradesmen now in Stroud/Gloucester area. Sounds like you will use one builder who will take care of everything, which I strongly recommend for an easy life...
Hope it all goes well. In our case, it was all worth it in the end!
Yeah I have learnt a lot so far :)
After this we need a master bath room done then pretty much whole down stairs so will certainly be useful to find a good builder :)

An very looking forward to the room I’ll have in the garage will make fixing up project pins so much easier :)

Quotes to move gas and electric by utility companies, Gas £550, Electric £960 WTF they don’t even dig the trench or fit the box. Just turn up and lay down couple meters of service cable up into the new box and move over the meter stuff. I’m in the wrong business :D

I remember when we built our current house some 10 years ago. Water and gas connections I thought were reasonably priced. Telephone was free and BT had to put a new telephone post in the pavement. Electricity stood out a mile on cost and delay. I seem to remember we had to pay more than £6k for very little work. They were the First people we contacted at the start of the build. They were the last to complete their work. Everything was ready bar the electricty connection. We had to survive with a diesel generator for a month after moving in. Never understood why it was so expensive.

Sorta liking the 1k quote now... lol

What did they do for 6k? Did they include digging the trench as well? How much cable did they lay? That’s insane!

It started at 3k. Then they realised that they couldn't connect to the national grid where they wanted. So they had to go further. And that cost more.
We dug the trench and laid the cables on our property. They still had to inspect them and do the connection to the meter at the house. They dug the trench from the edge of the plot to the connection to the grid. That was probably 15 metres. I can't remember who supplied the cable.
That was 10 years ago.

We needed the main electric cable in moving etc the chippy knew a guy who worked for Western Power.
They turned up in their WP vans, worked on the live cables outside up in the air as the power here comes in from poles above. New joint box, cable. Also moved the meter.
£450, saved a few quid😁
They charge wayyy too much for what they do, £960 is a lot for what they have to do but unless you know someone on the side what can you do. Working live is sweaty stuff😬

Yeah we had a junction go pop in the night in our street few months ago, they was out 3 hours later at 6am digging up the street and working in the main cables live. It’s quite fascinating and incredibly dangerous if you don’t know what your doing hehe.

What amazed me is how they found the exact spot if the fault and new where to dig. It’s a mixture of which street lights / houses have lost power and then can use sniffer tools as when the junctions go pop they let out a gas they can sense and find exact location.

Builder chosen only downside is he has a 5 month waiting list. But he’s done loads of extensions in the area including our neighbours and lives just down the street so know we are in good hands and quality of work is fantastic and price was inline with other quotes. Just gotta wait a bit :( he can also extend our hallway into the porch and sort most of the new drive out as well so quite bit job.

Will have a radiator in the garage and cavity walls with thick insulated sectional garage doors so hopefully stay pretty warm so can pop in and out from inside the house and play / work on games :)

Builder chosen only downside is he has a 5 month waiting list. But he’s done loads of extensions in the area including our neighbours and lives just down the street so know we are in good hands and quality of work is fantastic and price was inline with other quotes. Just gotta wait a bit :( he can also extend our hallway into the porch and sort most of the new drive out as well so quite bit job.

Will have a radiator in the garage and cavity walls with thick insulated sectional garage doors so hopefully stay pretty warm so can pop in and out from inside the house and play / work on games :)

Have you considered underfloor heating? Helps to maximise the space

Depending on how many pins you have turned on ac might be a good option if you have space for one and they are pretty economical compared to electric heating for example, about 75% less consumption for heating and for those hot days nice and cool. A rad or underfloor heating from you central heating would be good too.

Prowarm stuff does look good :)

Won’t be much happening for a while :( have paid builder deposit now and for the x2 insulated electric sectional garage doors. But now a 5 month wait :(

Will continue to swap pins in and out of the dinning room to my gfs disgust though :D Iv chucked the dinning room table in one corner and made it my personal arcade for now :D

Prowarm stuff does look good :)

Won’t be much happening for a while :( have paid builder deposit now and for the x2 insulated electric sectional garage doors. But now a 5 month wait :(

Will continue to swap pins in and out of the dinning room to my gfs disgust though :D Iv chucked the dinning room table in one corner and made it my personal arcade for now :D
Eating up the table is overrated anyway!

Cut loads of bushes down today :D

Hopefully be digging footings next week if weather can stop freaking raining!!!

Attachments

• 772EB2B5-31BC-4447-8009-9370650E8DB3.jpeg
    772EB2B5-31BC-4447-8009-9370650E8DB3.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 47
  • DAC47DB1-301B-4F83-A8EB-F8990A0BCE39.jpeg
    DAC47DB1-301B-4F83-A8EB-F8990A0BCE39.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 39
We also decided to bring the front door forward and have extra long hallway which will be nice as well as not much extra to add onto the existing work. Builder can also do 80% of the driveway work as well we just need someone to do the final brick/tarmac (leaning towards brick) so has worked out quite well :)

Progress, I know will feel great. Once your out of the ground it should come on fairly quickly.

I had a similar situation, I built up to the boundary, it gave me an extra 3 to 4 feet width 🙂

Keep the updates coming 👍

Chris.

Indeed about 1 and a half footings are now dug, had no idea they had to be so deep! Gonna be a **** ton of concrete to fill it :D

Collected the recessed meter box from WPD today and need to buy a Gas box as well, then figure out what ducting they want laid before they come over for the switch over.

Trying to choose the drive as well so haaaard as only get one chance! Lol

Back
Top Bottom