What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinburgh 2019. The year the Brits take over!

Just about to send an email off to PAPA to get a 'league' set up, just to make it easier to track each other's progress. I was thinking of naming it 'British Invasion' but suggestions welcome

I notice that @Replay and Max have got a league of their own though, and same with @alchy ... Have you three any objection to being updated to join the 'British Invasion' league? Similarly, if anyone *doesn't* want to be in this league for any reason, just let me know before I send the mail out :)

League affiliation has no real purpose other than making it slightly easier to find your friends amongst the list of hundreds of players
That would be cool. Been away so just seen this. Thanks

VERY preliminary look at the potential matchups for our first round:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-wqgnHcUU5JnWgp8v3cJlj-wjCoYSui/view?usp=sharing

This is all very subject to change, because for one there are only 992 players in PAPA's list at the moment - and of course still a good chance players may drop out/no show and so on. Other than that though it's correct so far as I can tell, and based on rank on 1st July

Last edited:
nice!

is that based on what happened last year? Seems about right from what I recall. But just one player being in or out changes it hugely as they found out last year when they recut round 1.

Really interesting to see the rank of some of the British chaps. Some top players.
How does it affect your rank when you mostly compete in the UK? Is it easier to gain 'whoppers' or whatever silly thing they use?
I've never really understood the whole ranking thing. I think it should be like boxing. If you beat the best, then you are now the best 😁

is that based on what happened last year? Seems about right from what I recall. But just one player being in or out changes it hugely as they found out last year when they recut round 1.

Based on the updated player list that PAPA have published, and the WPPR rank of those players on 1st July (any ranking changes between now and Pinburgh will not alter Pinburgh rank)

You're right in that players dropping in or out can change this, but broadly you can see Andy and Craig and David Mainwaring will be top seed in their first group. Ian, Dan and I will be 3rd seed in the group and facing players around rank 400. Neil you're currently up against the 20th rank super kid Aleksander Kaczmarczyk!

UK is in a spiral downward, not enough big competitions, so very hard to score well esp for the top players. So many of them go abroad either to Europe or USA.
Personally I love things BIG so I goto 4 or 5 of the US Stern Circuit tournaments.

Sadly, we lack ambition in the UK, and anyone who tries to do something big gets total BS aimed at them for reasons unknown.

we're doing BIG ambition at the UK Open this year and I would have done more but time was against me, but next year, h0h0h0h0h0 we're going motherf*cking galactic!

Cheers,
Neil.

Game bank for the Intergalactic. This is the second largest tournament in the galaxy. $20 entry then play your choice of up to ten games from this selection.

Scores in each game are then ranked and awarded points, 100 for first place score, 99 for second best and so on (at least that's my memory anyhow). Your rank across all games (that you played) is summed, the top 40 go through to finals.

If you're interested in participating in this one seriously, then best to swot up rules knowledge on some of the lesser known games that will probably not get played as much (and so easier to score on). Always worth waiting until the day though to see how the games are playing. Last year I remember everyone getting absolutely crushed on a BSD with super bouncy rubbers. If you see a game with consistently unusual low scores, it's possibly best avoided rather than thinking 'I'll beat those scores for sure'!

Last edited:
do they normally reveal which banks we get beforehand or do we have to wait for the day?

Yup each round gets published just after the results are all in from the current round. Checkout Pinburgh.com to see the system for 2017 and 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup each round gets published just after the results are all in from the current round. Checkout Pinburgh.com to see the system for 2017 and 18.

A smart phone/ ipad is essential!

As each round starts they do a printed list of names and which bank you're at on the front desk of the comp too. But yeah - much much easier if you've got a phone. Pretty sure the venue has wifi, though my memory is that it was a bit poop and I used mobile data instead.

as I recall it had free wifi which sucked, and then premium wifi which was reasonable for 3 days.

Neil.

UK is in a spiral downward, not enough big competitions, so very hard to score well esp for the top players. So many of them go abroad either to Europe or USA.
Personally I love things BIG so I goto 4 or 5 of the US Stern Circuit tournaments.

Sadly, we lack ambition in the UK, and anyone who tries to do something big gets total BS aimed at them for reasons unknown.

we're doing BIG ambition at the UK Open this year and I would have done more but time was against me, but next year, h0h0h0h0h0 we're going motherf*cking galactic!

Cheers,
Neil.
Thanks for all that You and the Flipout Team did for the Uk open this Year Neil , the machines / venue /streaming / format / attendance / players ,all worked out rather well in the end , and it can't have been easy doing all that hard work to make it happen , so cheers and thank you 👊👊👊👊👏👏👏👏

And thank you for letting Effie beat you. ;)
ahem Dan , Effie fully deserved her win , there was no "letting " involved , your girls are great players , was nice to play some split flipper with your kids too , definitely should have a split flipper comp sometime , maybe @ Daventry ??

Yeah, I know. Just pulling your leg.

Pheebs loves split flipper, she wants to do a split flipper party for her b'day. Not going to make dav though. :( Family holiday got booked instead, which had to agree to because I'm being allowed to go to pinburgh!

Back
Top Bottom