What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pin Shed - On A Budget (ish)

Jsyjamie

Registered
Alias
Jamie
Now that I'm a few week deep into my pin shed build thought I would start a log.

The original plan was to build this pre-made log cabin from Dunster House: https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/premiumplus-modetro-grande-w8-5m-x-d4-5m

shed.jpg

Only problem was by the time I had added thicker walls, floor, double glazing, roof shingles, etc. it was coming in around £6.5k before shipping and not including any foundations, insulation or electrics. This was already getting expensive! :eek:

So I made the decision to build it myself with help from family and friends.

The aim is to get everything done for less than £6.5k including foundations, structure and electrics. There's going to be a lot of begging, borrowing and (for legal purposes definitely no) stealing going on, lets see how we get on!

I'll upload some pictures of the build so far tonight with quite a bit of detail of the process and costs as maybe someone else will find it interesting. :)

I am really looking forward to this as I am thinking of a self build shed next year.

Please disregard my musings but I wondered whether a good way of doing this was ...

Build it to last. So use cedar as this is the king of shed materials. I have a 35 year old cedar shed. Galvanised roof

Tongue and grooved cedar on the outside, use hidden stainless steel nails
Thick enough frame pieces to get about 75mm celotex in the walls
Inside tongue and grooved mdf wall panels to cover the celotex and tidy it all up
Pent roof (single fall) to keep woodwork easy
75mm Celotex in the floor and ceiling
Plastisol coated slate grey, galvanised, box section 0.7mm roof sheets (more rigid than 0.5mm) cut to size from somewhere like this ..
http://www.rasesteels.com/page/box_profile_and_corrugated_sheeting.html
F@@k off steel door from these guys ....
http://www.ajsteeldoors.co.uk/en/?gclid=COexx-6F4s8CFQkq0wodHGsHEQ

@DRD
You musings are very close to my plan, I'm guessing you've been thinking about this for as long as me!
I'll go into more detail tonight :)

Now that I'm a few week deep into my pin shed build thought I would start a log.

The original plan was to build this pre-made log cabin from Dunster House: https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/premiumplus-modetro-grande-w8-5m-x-d4-5m

View attachment 37430

Only problem was by the time I had added thicker walls, floor, double glazing, roof shingles, etc. it was coming in around £6.5k before shipping and not including any foundations, insulation or electrics. This was already getting expensive! :eek:

The aim is to get everything done for less than £6.5k including foundations, structure and electrics. There's going to be a lot of begging, borrowing and (for legal purposes definitely no) stealing going on, lets see how we get on!

I'll upload some pictures of the build so far tonight with quite a bit of detail of the process and costs as maybe someone else will find it interesting. :)

A future contestant on the next 'shed of the year' TV series? Would be great to see a pin shed on that programme

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First thing was to clear the area for the shed - excuse the ****ty iPhone pictures
This was a raised plant bed with a path running round the outside and although it was very nice and someone had probably spent a lot of time keeping it looking good it was taking up usable pin shed space in the garden!
14697013_10157601186830472_1013830718_n.jpg
Unfortunately the widest access down the side of the house is just over 1.50m so getting any decent plant down there was a no. The old man and I hired a small digger and dumper and set to work. What would have taken us no time with some decent gear took us two full days!
14741651_10157601188030472_1970515539_n.jpg
But we got there in the end :)
14696977_10157601188075472_656965357_n.jpg
As I said above the shed was supposed to be 8.50x4.50m but once the site was leveled it was way too big so I scaled it down to 7.00x4.50m which is still pretty huge!
To save some money I decided to go for pad stone foundations 600x600x300 spaced out 1.75m on the width and 1.50m on the depth which will be enough to hold the weight.
14628036_10157601189960472_1697280953_n.jpg
Filled the boxes with cement and cast in some ties.
14620163_10157601190710472_1681654395_n.jpg
Foundations done! :)
Cost up to this point roughly £500.00
I'll post the up to date info tomorrow. :thumbs:

I've never seen foundations like this before. Looks like a great idea as it uses way less concrete (good for keeping costs down and the environment) and it appears as though the base will "float" above the ground, thus minimising damp problems. I had a solid concrete base laid for mine because that's what it said to do. Wish I'd known about this method.

Next we needed timber!
All tanalised, 6x2" for the floor & roof and 4x2" for the walls.
14627732_10157601190190472_213525807_n.jpg
We made the base in two 7.00x2.50m sections so 7.00x5.00m overall as I wanted a 0.50m overhang at the front for a porch.
14620141_10157601191395472_1461400399_n.jpg
14696775_10157601191485472_539644040_n.jpg
I put DPC under the timber where it was bearing on the pads so fingers crossed there shouldn't be any rot issues.
This took us the best part of two days and nearly sent us crazy making sure everything was square. Measure, check, measure, check, etc. :cuckoo:
Next on to the walls and it was starting to get real! :)
14699813_10157601191615472_1352510551_n.jpg
We made up the two walls which won't have any windows or doors first as they were easier.
Then the other two to finish it off. The near side will have a decent sized window and on the front standard sized French doors and three obscured windows which I got for free from work.
Each set of two walls took us a day.
14801068_10157606272355472_633639598_n.jpg
And that's pretty much up to date!
The roof will have a shallow pitch running from front to back with 6x2" covered in 18mm ply and roof felt.
Cost of DPC, timber and ply roughly £1,000.00
Should probably say that I work in construction so getting a good deal on materials and a few freebies. ;)
Total so far £1,500.00 :)

Should have done this when I built my summerhouse instead of buying prefab. £1,700 + £500 for add-on tool shed + £500 for foundations. And it's only 2.7m by 2.7m, not even a quarter of this one for around the same money. :oops:

Amazing, full of admiration that you're doing it all yourself. I've looked at a similar Dunster House cabin for a long time but you're right, they draw you in with reasonable prices but fool you by saying no floor etc. etc. and when all included, it's tons more than you expected. Then you have to build it too !

I'm out of room and need to sort a cabin for a 10m X 5m space when can find the cash... Will be good to see this develop for inspiration of doing it a different way (time permitting) ! Best of luck with it. :thumbs:

Hi. This is exactly the sort of thing I had been thinking of. Construct open ladder type walls at ground level, then raise to the vertical.

Might I ask ...

1 did you consider an insulated concrete floor ? - ie solid pad, screed over the celotex ?

2 how have you joined all the woods together ? - Butt joints ? , simply screwed together ? , any fancy dowels, carpentry or joint plates ?

3 what are the distances between the beams ?

4 how did you select the gaps between the beams ? - are they based around 600, 1200, 2400 sizes to match plasterboards/ insulation boards ?

Thanks

Hi. This is exactly the sort of thing I had been thinking of. Construct open ladder type walls at ground level, then raise to the vertical.

Might I ask ...

1 did you consider an insulated concrete floor ? - ie solid pad, screed over the celotex ?

2 how have you joined all the woods together ? - Butt joints ? , simply screwed together ? , any fancy dowels, carpentry or joint plates ?

3 what are the distances between the beams ?

4 how did you select the gaps between the beams ? - are they based around 600, 1200, 2400 sizes to match plasterboards/ insulation boards ?

Thanks

1 No, too expensive. I will be insulating between the joists with some kingspan.

2 Screwed together from wall to wall and floor to walls and 90mm nail gun to form the walls and floor. No point over complicating things if possible.

3 600mm centers

4 600mm is standard construction for something like this. Yes the boards will be 1.20x2.40m so good for fixings @ 600mm centers.

Brilliant thread this. Thanks for the info.

I think there are plenty of guys on here with the skills/ contacts to do this, and they may be surprised at how cheap building materials are to the trade

This thread is perfect for me. I've got a games room in the house, but (unsurprisingly) it isnt big enough. I've been planning to do a shed for a while, wont be quite as big as this but I'l be able to nick some of the ideas hopefully.

David, you mention using Cedar on the outside of yours, is cedar better because it doesnt need treating as often?

View attachment 37430

Mega interested man I have to do this in the spring of 2017

Cheers

Kev

Next we needed timber!
All tanalised, 6x2" for the floor & roof and 4x2" for the walls.
View attachment 37563
We made the base in two 7.00x2.50m sections so 7.00x5.00m overall as I wanted a 0.50m overhang at the front for a porch.
View attachment 37564
View attachment 37565
I put DPC under the timber where it was bearing on the pads so fingers crossed there shouldn't be any rot issues.
This took us the best part of two days and nearly sent us crazy making sure everything was square. Measure, check, measure, check, etc. :cuckoo:
Next on to the walls and it was starting to get real! :)
View attachment 37566
We made up the two walls which won't have any windows or doors first as they were easier.
Then the other two to finish it off. The near side will have a decent sized window and on the front standard sized French doors and three obscured windows which I got for free from work.
Each set of two walls took us a day.
View attachment 37567
And that's pretty much up to date!
The roof will have a shallow pitch running from front to back with 6x2" covered in 18mm ply and roof felt.
Cost of DPC, timber and ply roughly £1,000.00
Should probably say that I work in construction so getting a good deal on materials and a few freebies. ;)
Total so far £1,500.00 :)
ROOF FELT!!!!! no please dont, all this expense and a crap roofing solution that wont last long at all - I plan to use EPDM which looks fab at lasts for 50 years(so they say!) Approx £600 for a 8m x3.66m shed

Just saying !!!! ;)

Cheers

kev

ROOF FELT!!!!! no please dont, all this expense and a crap roofing solution that wont last long at all - I plan to use EPDM which looks fab at lasts for 50 years(so they say!) Approx £600 for a 8m x3.66m shed

Just saying !!!! ;)

Cheers

kev
That's a good price, I'll look into it quick as the roof is meant to be a job for this weekend!

It isn't your normal shed roof felt I'm using, it'll be proper house stuff. Worst comes to worse I'll stick some of that EPDM stuff on at a later date!

Thanks for the info :)

That's a good price, I'll look into it quick as the roof is meant to be a job for this weekend!

It isn't your normal shed roof felt I'm using, it'll be proper house stuff. Worst comes to worse I'll stick some of that EPDM stuff on at a later date!

welcome bud - I believe even very good roof felt is 10 years max when not covered with roof tiles - sun knackers it

@DanLewell

My house came with an early 80s cedar shed. It has been neglected, has not benefitted from regular maintenance. But it has lasted. I am amazed at how good it still looks.

When I began looking into a garden room I noticed that very few firms use cedar as it is more expensive. Cedar is harder to ge hold of. Fewer places stock it. Even large timber merchants (Arnold Laver in Sheffield is very good) do not seem to have consistent supplies

I have not researched it properly, but it does seem to last better than pine. For this design of shed though, you would have to do the sums. Figure out pine plus regular painting versus cedar.

The beauty of this type of construction is that you could reface the outer skin quite easily anyway, regardless of what wood you use

http://www.heritagegardensheds.co.uk/red-cedar-sheds.html

There is obviously no right answer to any element of a shed build, but good to see the different options discussed so you can pick what works best for you.

A property developer mate has recommended that @newdos epdm rubber to me before, but I have never used it. The one piece tablecloth type system does look a good idea. And with a brand new smooth roofing surface to apply it to, could work well

yeah, I might look into Cedar then, I'm planning on putting mine quite near the boundary (i know you arent supposed to but my neighbour wont mind as he has done the same) so getting to it to repaint will be problematic.

Rubber roofs are definitely the way forward. a mate of mine does flat roofs and this is all they use most of the time now.

No worries man - I am interested to see you are putting the roof on before sheeting the sides and putting the floor down? Doe the structure seem solid enough for this at this stage, without any structural sheeting on? This way does make sense to me as it stops any water getting inside before sheeting anything and this was the approach i was hoping to take too

Cheers

kev

No worries man - I am interested to see you are putting the roof on before sheeting the sides and putting the floor down? Doe the structure seem solid enough for this at this stage, without any structural sheeting on? This way does make sense to me as it stops any water getting inside before sheeting anything and this was the approach i was hoping to take too

Cheers

kev
Unfortunately you might be waiting a while mate, just had the planning officer round to have a look at a ground beam for a small extension I'm doing to the house at the same time as this and he's told me to stop all work to the shed! :tut:
New regulations came in a few weeks ago here and he wants to check that it is compliant.
Sh1t thing is if I wasn't doing the extension at the same time he would never have seen the shed and kicked off.
He said the two walls facing the boundary will definitely have to be fire rated so that's going to put a hole in the budget! Will have to be Hardiplank or similar which will cost more but cut down on maintenance in the long run I guess...
This is definitely one of those days!! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom