What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pin Shed - On A Budget (ish)

Height and size isn't an issue, it's more the "finer details".

It is 2.30m at the front sloping to 2.20m at the back.

Unfortunately you might be waiting a while mate, just had the planning officer round to have a look at a ground beam for a small extension I'm doing to the house at the same time as this and he's told me to stop all work to the shed! :tut:
New regulations came in a few weeks ago here and he wants to check that it is compliant.
Sh1t thing is if I wasn't doing the extension at the same time he would never have seen the shed and kicked off.
He said the two walls facing the boundary will definitely have to be fire rated so that's going to put a hole in the budget! Will have to be Hardiplank or similar which will cost more but cut down on maintenance in the long run I guess...
This is definitely one of those days!! :mad:
I ran in to the same problem bud - I was going to ask about your planning but didn't want to open a can of worms!!!

My shed WAS going to be 8m x 3,66m and 0.5m away from 3 boundary fences ie 2 sides and rear. Planning said that's a no no because of fire risk, but get this - if I split the shed into two, less than 15sq M each, then I could put them right up to the boundary, as long as there was at least a 40mm gap between the two sheds !!!! biggest load of ******** I have ever heard!!! How that meets fire regs I would never know.

So now I am building two 14.5sqm sheds next to each other - one as workshop and one as pin room. More work and expense but it gets around planning issues!!!

Oh and the height has to be no more than 2.5m if within 2m of any boundary and can go up to 4m if >2m from a boundary. Hence pent roof like yourself and founds as low to the original ground as possible

Do let me know how you get on with planning I will be fascinated by it !!

Cheers

kev

Height and size isn't an issue, it's more the "finer details".

It is 2.30m at the front sloping to 2.20m at the back.
so what is your finished internal height ? sounds tight for a pin with a topper ???

Planning sounds like a f*cking scam to me :eek: You would think that the rules that are enforced at the time your application is approved are the ones your building should adhere to too, not have to take into account changes in the rules once you've had planning permission and started work :mad:

I ran in to the same problem bud - I was going to ask about your planning but didn't want to open a can of worms!!!

My shed WAS going to be 8m x 3,66m and 0.5m away from 3 boundary fences ie 2 sides and rear. Planning said that's a no no because of fire risk, but get this - if I split the shed into two, less than 15sq M each, then I could put them right up to the boundary, as long as there was at least a 40mm gap between the two sheds !!!! biggest load of ******** I have ever heard!!! How that meets fire regs I would never know.

So now I am building two 14.5sqm sheds next to each other - one as workshop and one as pin room. More work and expense but it gets around planning issues!!!

Oh and the height has to be no more than 2.5m if within 2m of any boundary and can go up to 4m if >2m from a boundary. Hence pent roof like yourself and founds as low to the original ground as possible

Do let me know how you get on with planning I will be fascinated by it !!

Cheers

kev
That is a **** take mate, it is completely counter productive. At the end of the day it is a glorified shed not a nuclear bunker!!

Toppers will be alright on the front wall but tight at the back as you say. I'm not a big fan of toppers besides White Water so not too fussed. :)

Will do, watch this space! :thumbs:

if you check the permitted development stuff on the planning portal website, nothing obvious has changed?

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

I don know when Planningportal.gov.uk became planningportal.co.uk as it now looks less official, but it is the official planning website so you would imagine that the info on there can be taken as accurate.
Thanks for that but I'm based in Jersey which may as well be the wild west for planning regulations!

He said the two walls facing the boundary will definitely have to be fire rated so that's going to put a hole in the budget! Will have to be Hardiplank or similar which will cost more but cut down on maintenance in the long run I guess...

Surely you can treat/paint/coat the intended wood to be compliant. Sure I've seen that proposed and accepted before when looking into all this when constructing the games room at old house.

Surely you can treat/paint/coat the intended wood to be compliant. Sure I've seen that proposed and accepted before when looking into all this when constructing the games room at old house.
You can but I'm pretty sure you can't paint over it with a colour afterwards... Will check!
Looking at around £500 for the paint so will see what cost the Hardiplank is compared to standard timber cladding.

That does sound tight on the height.
I can't open the play field all the way up in my work shop. I'm going to build a smaller pin shed before I buy a second game.

Unfortunately you might be waiting a while mate, just had the planning officer round to have a look at a ground beam for a small extension I'm doing to the house at the same time as this and he's told me to stop all work to the shed! :tut:
New regulations came in a few weeks ago here and he wants to check that it is compliant.
Sh1t thing is if I wasn't doing the extension at the same time he would never have seen the shed and kicked off.

Why the hell does it have to be fire rated? Since when does a shed need to be compliant? They are temporary structures...thus always thought that as long as they kept to a certain height then it didn't matter....

That's a good price, I'll look into it quick as the roof is meant to be a job for this weekend!

It isn't your normal shed roof felt I'm using, it'll be proper house stuff. Worst comes to worse I'll stick some of that EPDM stuff on at a later date!

Thanks for the info :)
Shop around for edpm. My sheet was a 6x5 and spent about £250, but that didn't include the trim, I just folded it over to act as a fascia. eBay wasn't the cheapest.

the most strict part is you cant sleep under your pins in your shack . well not on a permanent basis anyway!

Christ

You look look at all the rules and lose the will to live.

What a truly pathetic state of affairs.

the most strict part is you cant sleep under your pins in your shack . well not on a permanent basis anyway!
This is what I reckon the planning office is thinking, we are going to rent it out as an Airbnb or similar...
The old man thinks we should crack on, I'm not so sure. Would rather a bit of a delay and get it done right first time than have to rip any of it down!

This is what I reckon the planning office is thinking, we are going to rent it out as an Airbnb or similar...
The old man thinks we should crack on, I'm not so sure. Would rather a bit of a delay and get it done right first time than have to rip any of it down!
Sadly the safe option, although I'd have thought any architect will know the correct way to fire rate the walls, should be as simple as lining inside with fire rated plasterboard, that's probably the cheapest option if you have to do it. I love councils, my business is a late night bar up a narrow passage. I've had an illuminated sign above the passage way for 12 years and its been there for 10 more atleast that we can prove but my local council have decided they don't like it and it was never approved apparently. As its attached to a grade listed building I'm breaking the law having it. 3 refused applications later, each one countering a reason from the previous application and we're still going no where fast.....I will have to chain myself to it when they send the troops! Still, at least the jobsworth c**ts can justify their salaries and sleep well at night ffs... anyway rant over, I hope you get it solved soon and can crack on as by the looks of it we're all taking notes for our future pin shacks!!

If its the same here in Jersey as blighty @Jsyjay they get very ****y once the shed is over 15m Square, which yours clearly is, so if I was you I might put roof beams on but go no further than that until they have had their say !!

Watching with very keen interest!

Cheers

Kev

Kev, thought it was 30 sqm before building regs. kick in? It was with my old games room outbuilding anyway. Or is it solely planning you're referring to?

Kev, thought it was 30 sqm before building regs. kick in? It was with my old games room outbuilding anyway. Or is it solely planning you're referring to?
Hi John,

Correct building regs required above 30sqm but planning regs below 15sqm dont apply which is why I can build 2 <15sqm and as close to the fence as I want as long as 40mm gap between the 2 - CRAZY!!!!!

Cheers

kev

Shop around for edpm. My sheet was a 6x5 and spent about £250, but that didn't include the trim, I just folded it over to act as a fascia. eBay wasn't the cheapest.
I founf buying all the bits separetly was more pricey than the kits as those trims are expensive but really finish the job off. The glue is also expensive. But each to their own whatever the best deal is you can get :)

Cheers

kev

Correct building regs required above 30sqm but planning regs below 15sqm dont apply which is why I can build 2 <15sqm and as close to the fence as I want as long as 40mm gap between the 2 - CRAZY!!!!!

It is....! :tut: Sneaky doorway between the two?

I'm a bit rusty on all this since the build at old house. Out of interest, just been onto planning portal and started an online application for my future plan... then realising they'll want a £172 fee (was told an initial enquiry was free a few years ago, hmph !) so think I'll hang fire until I've got the £ to go ahead. Presume permission only lasts for so long....

Good luck @Jsyjay . I would hang fire until you've got the nod as the pain to pull something down you've built would be very unpleasant.

Nah, if they don't like it then run a rip saw across the middle and voila, two sheds not needing planning

Was just thinking of my jungle and what I could put down there for a pinshack. I was thinking of a 20 x 10 ft shed. Would that work for 6 or 7 machines?

Here is the next episode of the saga!
Spoken to architect, structural engineer and planning officer and the result is that the two walls will have to be fireproofed and I need an SER certificate for the base which is mental. :cuckoo:
So that is happening and should be sorted next week.
I had this week off but decided to go in to work yesterday because of the shed stopping, right? WRONG!
The old man said he would be putting a new bit of stud up in the ensuite we are remodeling but he lied.
This is what I came back to last night:
Attachment 1.jpg
There were a few choice words from me, hopefully we don't have to rip any of it down.
Once I calmed down I had to admit it looks awesome! :)
Felt underlay down on the roof, added some bracing to the walls and first fix electrics in.
One double socket on each end wall, three on the front and four on the back. Fuse board on the right as you walk in the double doors. Two rows of four LED down lights inside and a row of four on the outside soffit at the front.
In work today so don't know what mad schemes the old man will be getting up to while I'm not there! :rolleyes:
Job for the weekend, insulation! :clap:

Back
Top Bottom